C Alex Newhook - Boston College, NCAA (2019, 16th, COL) Part 2

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
For what I saw in the AHL.. he's the most ready for the NHL of the '19 class.

My prediction 1A, +1, 16mins play time.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
For anyone who watched, how did Newhook look in his first game? Stat sheet didn't tell a lot. Maybe decent at FOW with 4.

But I was just confused, thought he would play the wing with Kadri. But seems he played C with Kadri on the wing? I guess they are planning to keep him at C long term? I honestly think he might make a better winger ultimately, but we will see.

Any predictions for potential? Like down the road, his 3rd or 4th year.

Something like 30g/40a in his prime? Or am I under/overshooting ? Obviously if he does stay at C, he's not going to overtake MacKinnon. So he's destined for second line Center if that's the case.

Either way, I think an exciting young prospect.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
For anyone who watched, how did Newhook look in his first game? Stat sheet didn't tell a lot. Maybe decent at FOW with 4.

But I was just confused, thought he would play the wing with Kadri. But seems he played C with Kadri on the wing? I guess they are planning to keep him at C long term? I honestly think he might make a better winger ultimately, but we will see.

Any predictions for potential? Like down the road, his 3rd or 4th year.

Something like 30g/40a in his prime? Or am I under/overshooting ? Obviously if he does stay at C, he's not going to overtake MacKinnon. So he's destined for second line Center if that's the case.

Either way, I think an exciting young prospect.

I thought he was solid. Bednar had him at center and he was taking the draws for that line, even in the defensive zone. He did fine on faceoffs and was impressive on defense (perhaps one of the more underrated aspects of his game - Team Canada used him as the shutdown center at the Worlds).

On offense, he seemed to be finding his way and trying to find some chemistry with Kadri and Burakovsky (he seemed to have more with Kadri IMO). He went to the front of the net and was difficult to move (he is stronger with a stocky build - something that is overlooked).

All in all, it was a nice first outing IMO. I think they play to keep him at center and they want to get a good look at him in that role. Kadri has really struggled at times and I am not sure that the Avs view him as a center at this point. I doubt that they plan to re-sign Kadri after next season.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I will be sure to frequently remind everyone I had him top-5 in 2019 over the forthcoming years. :naughty:

In all seriousness, kid’s a stud and his development curve has been pointed straight up ever since he was 14. I think he will become a top-30 C in the NHL...but it seems he’s already top-6 quality and he’s cost controlled for three seasons. Absolutely ridiculous team Colorado has there. Need to see the playoff results but their next decade is blindingly bright.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
TimMcCracken.jpg

He will still be eligible for rookie awards next season

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Newhook should also have at least 2 goals but he's been gripping the stick a bit tight. Once he settles in I think he'll start to bury his opportunities.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I was surprised by those that detracted him before the draft. He was the best player in the BCHL by the day he turned 17 and essentially was the McDavid of that league in his draft year. Nobody was even close to his pace of play. It was quite clearly NHL Top 6 C caliber.

His motor and how he's able to attack other teams' D on the inside or outside of the ice with speed gave him a very translatable skillset. When you combine that with his quick shot, puck skills, and hockey sense, well, he quite simply shouldn't have slipped to #16 in 2019.

Extremely likeable guy and he's a big reason why I'll have no problem cheering for the Avs to be the next dynasty. Hope he becomes a top C in the league.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
I really didn't think a forward his calibre would be available at 16, I thought maybe at best McMichael or someone like that maybe lavoie/Kaliyev. Couldn't believe he was still there and then what he showed in the NCAA, wow.

Reactions: Lemonlimey
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I was surprised by those that detracted him before the draft. He was the best player in the BCHL by the day he turned 17 and essentially was the McDavid of that league in his draft year. Nobody was even close to his pace of play. It was quite clearly NHL Top 6 C caliber.

His motor and how he's able to attack other teams' D on the inside or outside of the ice with speed gave him a very translatable skillset. When you combine that with his quick shot, puck skills, and hockey sense, well, he quite simply shouldn't have slipped to #16 in 2019.

Extremely likeable guy and he's a big reason why I'll have no problem cheering for the Avs to be the next dynasty. Hope he becomes a top C in the league.

His motor is what impresses me most, he is always moving and trying to get into good spaces or chasing down pucks. You can tell that he's still a bit hesitant and is getting used to the speed of the game at the NHL level. I think if he can improve his skating a bit more he will better be able to play his style of game at the NHL level, he's not slow by any means but you can tell that he's just a step behind where he wants to be at times. I'm really excited about him, think he's got a good shot at being the Avs long term 2C.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Some choice quotes from Pt. 1 of this thread:

Don't get too excited chaps, Tyson Jost tore up the BCHL as well.

will still be an early second rounder

BCHL
imo this year is maybe an off yr in talent as i rank it well behind the chl/ushl and now even behind the nahl...

To me there is aspect of Gilbert Brule in his play

Pls remind me. Did Jost get cut from Team Canada?

The linemates carry the game for him

hate say it but there has to be something.
To be “inexplicably” left off the WJAC and now Hlinka, says something.
Either he is not as good as the hype or he has done something off Ice to warrant the omission.

Off - ice character issues

Don’t see him as a great point producer on NHL level, probably he should be defensive-first type of player. Sometimes see many from Riley Nash on his game.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think it’s a bit early to call him a top 6 forward or even a full time NHLer until we see more, but early indications definitely bode well. I’m interested to see how he does in playoffs and what he takes from that into the next season.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
He had the most impressive freshmen debut above the likes of Zegras while playing on the 3rd line and 2nd pp for the majority of the season. He flashed more of his dynamic skating ability last (some avs fans were saying his skating wasn't going to be so good compared to the nhl level), I think right now he's just adjusting to the speed of the game and taking things slow.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
My God the Avs are going to be deadly for the next decade ...
Sakic has done an unreal job. I thought Sakic has been too conservative at times when it comes to trading / rounding out his roster but the man has a plan and sticks to it.
How clueless was I thinking Newhook could have even been remotely had for Taylor Hall when he was on the Devils.
Damn you Sakic for not sucking as a GM !
I am hoping the Devils draft Johnson this year but was hesitant on drafting someone from a junior A league. I think that worry has been put to rest with how deadly Makar and Newhook have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad