C Aleksi Heponiemi- Modo, Hockey Allsvenskan, Sweden (2017, 40th, FLA)

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Tolvanen played a great tournament. After his shots did not go in, he changed up his game and was one of the best forwards for Finland in the elimination games. It shows great adaptability to be able to change your game on the fly and try something else when things are not working. He created lots of space with his skating, defended well, gave good passes and just worked so hard.

The Heponiemi criticism is unwarranted. His change times were annoying but that's all they were, annoyances.

Tolvanen was solid, but he did not yet live up to the expectations created by his record setting KHL season. I would say his performance was only ahead of Nyman amongst players who spent time in top 6 rotation. Heponiemi, Kupari, Kakko, Lundell, Talvitie, Ylonen all did better.

Heponiemi was the most consistent performer IMO among forwards. Kakko had better peak performances.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He led the tournament in points. If you want to talk about someone who wasn’t team first point to that useless waste of a roster space tolvanen.

Yeah I mean "wow", he literally was one of the worst forwards at the beginning against some of the worst opponents getting almost nothing done. I guess he pretty soon figured out he needed to start doing something to make it look less bad. Do yourself a favour and do some actual background checking before coming up with these non-sense comments in public. Here's a breakdown from the difference in TOI between Kupari and Heponiemi starting from the first game until the the last game (keep in mind they played in the same line and in the same PP):

SWE: +4:30
Kaz: +2:00
SVK: +1:30
USA: +2:20
CAN: +1:30
SWI: +3:30
USA: +3:30

In the favour of Heponiemi. I rounded them up due to sheer lazyness, but feel free to do your own math if you please.

I posted this on another thread where I calculated all the extended shifts he played in the first USA game:

1st period: 32 seconds
2nd period: 25 + 35 seconds
3rd period: 21 + 16 + 23 seconds

That's 2 minutes and 32 seconds out of Kakko's game straight to Heponiemi's pocket, simply cause he thought he was above the others and could do what he please. The first time I really took note was in the game vs Canada and wondered why the f**k was he consistently avoiding the bench when called, and I'm not only sure that he did that ever since until the final game, but also quite certain that it occurred from the very beginning.

Heponiemi played 20+ minutes on average, on some games peaking close to 23 minutes which was by far more than any other forward and it wasn't because he was utilised that way. Meanwhile Kakko for instance probably ended with aTOI of 14-15 minutes per game (and still was the better player at most games). So when someone comes up and say "hey but he finished as top scorer of the team!" (or acting like he brought home the gold medal) or whatever, it's like a good laugh. When you're setting yourself up for that kind of minutes, you should not only be scoring PPG+, but winning the entire point race (which he didn't).

Heponiemi is already 19 years old and should be setting example for the younger players in the team but instead acts like he's better than the rest of them. To me it just looks like a major flaw in a character and extremely selfish. Not something he's going to be pulling off in the NHL, if he ever even gets that far.

Reactions: Lepardi and furr

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Yeah I mean "wow", he literally was one of the worst forwards at the beginning against some of the worst opponents getting almost nothing done. I guess he pretty soon figured out he needed to start doing something to make it look less bad. Do yourself a favour and do some actual background checking before coming up with these non-sense comments in public. Here's a breakdown from the difference in TOI between Kupari and Heponiemi starting from the first game until the the last game (keep in mind they played in the same line and in the same PP):

SWE: +4:30
Kaz: +2:00
SVK: +1:30
USA: +2:20
CAN: +1:30
SWI: +3:30
USA: +3:30

In the favour of Heponiemi. I rounded them up due to sheer lazyness, but feel free to do your own math if you please.

I posted this on another thread where I calculated all the extended shifts he played in the first USA game:

1st period: 32 seconds
2nd period: 25 + 35 seconds
3rd period: 21 + 16 + 23 seconds

That's 2 minutes and 32 seconds out of Kakko's game straight to Heponiemi's pocket, simply cause he thought he was above the others and could do what he please. The first time I really took note was in the game vs Canada and wondered why the f**k was he consistently avoiding the bench when called, and I'm not only sure that he did that ever since until the final game, but also quite certain that it occurred from the very beginning.

Heponiemi played 20+ minutes on average, on some games peaking close to 23 minutes which was by far more than any other forward and it wasn't because he was utilised that way. Meanwhile Kakko for instance probably ended with aTOI of 14-15 minutes per game (and still was the better player at most games). So when someone comes up and say "hey but he finished as top scorer of the team!" (or acting like he brought home the gold medal) or whatever, it's like a good laugh. When you're setting yourself up for that kind of minutes, you should not only be scoring PPG+, but winning the entire point race (which he didn't).

Heponiemi is already 19 years old and should be setting example for the younger players in the team but instead acts like he's better than the rest of them. To me it just looks like a major flaw in a character and extremely selfish. Not something he's going to be pulling off in the NHL, if he ever even gets that far.
They won gold. It’s a non issue. Heponiemi is the “best player”. Dominated at every level.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
They won gold. It’s a non issue. Heponiemi is the “best player”. Dominated at every level.

Erm, no he wasn't the "best player" except maybe in your head. Lundell, Talvitie and Kakko played better, heck I would argue that even Kupari and Tolvanen played better than him. As for the more objective observations, Kakko got elected twice as the BP where Heponiemi only once so even that doesn't support your theory/argument. Maybe you misinterpreted something like Heponiemi winning the honours of being the most selfish player of the tournament (with players from all countries presented)? :D

As for "dominating at every level" would you care to explain how it's even possible that he sucked so horribly just a year ago when he was 18 and at this very same tournament? I mean after all in a sense, last year he was on another (lower) level. Although if you don't want to go into that, I fully understand your wish to keep your answers as short and swift as possible, ha.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It happens more than you'd think. I don't know if Heponiemi does it as much as @kelsier is saying because I wasn't watching Finland's team that closely to be able to tell, but there are players that do this type of thing. Its a bad habit, and if a player on my team was doing that, I would like to think that I would confront them about it.

I'm a big fan of Heponiemi's game. This is one of those players that appears to only be a good prospect who will play in an NHL top 6, but he's so skilled that he has the capability to catch fire one season and hits 100 points out of nowhere. I'm not saying Heponiemi will ever be that good, but he's the caliber of skill-forward that could do that. I would've never expected players like Kucherov, Rantanen or Gaudreau to have 100 point potential. I think Heponiemi is similar.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm a big fan of Heponiemi's game. This is one of those players that appears to only be a good prospect who will play in an NHL top 6, but he's so skilled that he has the capability to catch fire one season and hits 100 points out of nowhere. I'm not saying Heponiemi will ever be that good, but he's the caliber of skill-forward that could do that. I would've never expected players like Kucherov, Rantanen or Gaudreau to have 100 point potential. I think Heponiemi is similar.

There's a little bit of Teuvo Teravainen in Heponiemi I feel.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I think Heponiemi and Teräväinen are a good comparison in regards to both potential and style. Had a great tournament as well. It was not a perfect tournament, but I think he was the second best forward for team Finland after Talvitie.

Reactions: Mestaruus

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It happens more than you'd think. I don't know if Heponiemi does it as much as @kelsier is saying because I wasn't watching Finland's team that closely to be able to tell, but there are players that do this type of thing. Its a bad habit, and if a player on my team was doing that, I would like to think that I would confront them about it.

Players do extend their shifts and some do it more than the others. I've watched so much hockey in my life so far that I can't even begin to wonder how many games that would total all in all. I got like 1-3 NHL games waiting for me when I get home from the work every day (recorded in a digibox) and then of course FEL that I watch as regularly as much as possible and I try peak in to SHL every now and then as well as KHL. So if you thought I was exaggerating, like I said to the other guy, just check the statistics. Now as far as Hepo's "case" goes I never would have brought it up if it didn't break the "standard" or should I rather say common or acceptable level of cheating with line rotation, but you could literally see this kid float around in the middle of the ice, sometimes even next to the bench with no risk for leaving the team open for a counter by leaving the ice, after Kupari and Talvitie had already both left the ice ages ago. Most of the times he just attempted to join the rush after the line change had already occurred instead of going to the bench and left himself to finish whatever cycle/offensive game followed behind the offensive blue line. He would finally come in when he thought it suited him the best.

Thought he even fully double shifted in some of these games (wasn't the first USA game though). There's no other forward in the team that came even close to twenty minute+ a game average and had Heponiemi even tried to obey the rotation order, he would have stayed quite far from it as well (somewhere between 17-18 minutes). Instead he just completely took the matters into his own hands and unfortunately 2nd line was practically always coming on the ice after the first line was coming off between the shifts, which in turn left one player taking most of the s**t. Anyhow, like I said Heponiemi alone isn't to blame but the coaching staff who let it slide and overlooked what was happening from the beginning to almost until the very end.

I don't see him being the next Gaudreau personally. He's a good player but I fear his size will get in the way of having star-like NHL career. Aside from that, if this is the kind of appreciation he shows to his team mates, personally I wouldn't even care much if he never made it to the big league. We have tons of top end talent as far as wingers are concerned. And for the record I had nothing against Hepo coming into the WJC, but to see first hand someone pulling something like this off? Geez.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
A bit funny to see so much criticism for a player who was co-leader in tournament points, and with +7 rating to top that.

Also, regardless of goal scoring mini-drought, Tolvanen too was one of our absolute key players (no diva tantrums when puck didn't go in, instead he switched into a more of a work-horse role).

So, even if neither of them (Aleksi & Eeli) are "Kakko-level" prospects, I think both had a very good tourney.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
So you don't want so see Heponiemi succeed because he had one bad habit in a gold winner team?? That won't happen again with good coaching who don't allow that.

I can't understand rooting against a kid because of something like this..

Of course a fan would say something like "oh just one bad habit", but again keep in mind that what he benefited greatly from, that was directly at the expense of an other player. So no, sorry but I don't root for players like that. Especially ones who are already getting more ice time than most and who are seniors compared to the first timers, thus should be leading by example rather than working towards their own interests. I don't care which nationality he represents since the rules should be the same for all and that would be bias in a way as far as this matter is concerned.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Haven't watched the Finns at the WJC much but are we even sure he wasn't told by the coach to extend his icetime?

I don't think he showed any signs of deliberately prolonging his shifts in Liiga. Was he known for doing this in juniors or something because otherwise I think people are really blowing this out of proportion.

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019
Haven't watched the Finns at the WJC much but are we even sure he wasn't told by the coach to extend his icetime?

I don't think he showed any signs of deliberately prolonging his shifts in Liiga. Was he known for doing this in juniors or something because otherwise I think people are really blowing this out of proportion.
People as in one user.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Of course a fan would say something like "oh just one bad habit", but again keep in mind that what he benefited greatly from, that was directly at the expense of an other player. So no, sorry but I don't root for players like that. Especially ones who are already getting more ice time than most and who are seniors compared to the first timers, thus should be leading by example rather than working towards their own interests. I don't care which nationality he represents since the rules should be the same for all and that would be bias in a way as far as this matter is concerned.
So after 10 years he you still are rooting against the man for what he did 10 years ago?

I understand what you are saying and I don't like it but I won't root against him in the future because of that.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
I counted that in first game against Sweden Heponiemi steal about 1.3o min ice time on game from Kakko, but he steal only 3 times.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
So after 10 years he you still are rooting against the man for what he did 10 years ago?

I understand what you are saying and I don't like it but I won't root against him in the future because of that.

Heck do I know. I live one day at the time. What does it really even matter who roots for who and who doesn't. What happened, it happened and it cannot be taken back. At the end the team still won the gold medal and the wronged guy got the the golden goal so I can live with that.

Reactions: FinPanda

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Erm, no he wasn't the "best player" except maybe in your head. Lundell, Talvitie and Kakko played better, heck I would argue that even Kupari and Tolvanen played better than him.

Tolvanen? I was completely unimpressed with his play.

I have no horse in this race here, as I'm a Flyers fan, but speaking objectively, I thought Tolvanen was average AT BEST, and him an Kakko were the players I was most anxious to watch for Finland.

IMO, I thought Kakko, Hepionemi, Lundell were all very good. As was Jokiharju at times running the point. Tolvanen didn't impress me in the least.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Tolvanen? I was completely unimpressed with his play.

I have no horse in this race here, as I'm a Flyers fan, but speaking objectively, I thought Tolvanen was average AT BEST, and him an Kakko were the players I was most anxious to watch for Finland.

IMO, I thought Kakko, Hepionemi, Lundell were all very good. As was Jokiharju at times running the point. Tolvanen didn't impress me in the least.
Tolvanen was good all-around player on the tournament and was on the ice on key moments. The AHL year have made good for him game and when he starts scoring goals again everything will be okay.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Tolvanen was good all-around player on the tournament and was on the ice on key moments. The AHL year have made good for him game and when he starts scoring goals again everything will be okay.

I'm not talking about his future, I'm talking about his isolated performance in this tournament. He was average - wasn't close to being anything special. Here's a dude who is supposed to be a high-end sniper and he couldn't even perform at a high-level against kids. He was an average "all-around" player... not bad by any means, but not great either. Heponiemi was without question more impressive in this tournament.

Who will be a better NHL player? I have no idea. I'm talking about this tournament.

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019
I'm not talking about his future, I'm talking about his isolated performance in this tournament. He was average - wasn't close to being anything special. Here's a dude who is supposed to be a high-end sniper and he couldn't even perform at a high-level against kids. He was an average "all-around" player... not bad by any means, but not great either. Heponiemi was without question more impressive in this tournament.

Who will be a better NHL player? I have no idea. I'm talking about this tournament.
He's #30 pick. You talk like he was picked in top 5. Set your expectations lower.

Reactions: Stubu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad