C Aleksi Heponiemi- Modo, Hockey Allsvenskan, Sweden (2017, 40th, FLA)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Heponiemi who dominated the WHL and played really well in Liiga is having a hard time in North American pro hockey it seems. Called up today though so we'll see if he plays

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Heponiemi who dominated the WHL and played really well in Liiga is having a hard time in North American pro hockey it seems. Called up today though so we'll see if he plays
He looked the same as he did last season.
Incredibly smart, great stick, hard worker, decent hands, but he cannot hack it in the NHL at his size. He loses every battle and gets wrecked around the boards. If he was a great skater, that'd help, but neither speed nor skating are particular strengths for him.

He's 5'10" and somehow looks smaller than DeBrincat out there.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
Hepo needed to add 15 lbs of muscle to be “below average” sized in the NHL, and his build looks the same as it did at 18.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Still seems crazy he left after one season with Kärpät in Liiga.

He wasn't ready physically to handle playoff hockey in Finland, still somebody thought it was a good idea to play in AHL as a 20 year old.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Dude really needs to add some weight. He's still young and if he improves his physical attributes, he can still have a good career in the NHL. Heponiemi is skilled enough to succeed.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
Dude really needs to add some weight. He's still young and if he improves his physical attributes, he can still have a good career in the NHL. Heponiemi is skilled enough to succeed.

He is a very cerebral player that has the tools to play the game as a playmaking forward. Him lacking that physical edge and lack of total NHL experience is really the only thing that is weighing him down. I for one would love to see him succeed as I think he could be a stellar player. I really like the way he processes the game.

Reactions: Ippenator

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was a big fan of this kid but watching him tonight so much as a hard stick check is enough to send him flying...still a looooong way away from NHL strength and doesn't have the overwhelming skill to get away with it

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
As a professional athlete you have all the resources to put on weight. Him still being 150 lbs after all this time to me indicates more a lack of commitment to improvement

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Imagine how good Heponiemi would be if he wasn't allergic to gym equipment.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Anyone see him returning to the NHL?
he is still just 24.

8 games in the NL this season, 8 points (4+4).
Unless he adds another gear to his skating or manages to add 15 lbs without losing his quickness, I don't see it. He's got the raw skill and talent but he just hasn't progressed enough physically. He's too weak on the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00