C Aleksi Heponiemi- Modo, Hockey Allsvenskan, Sweden (2017, 40th, FLA)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
What is his most likely path to NHL? 2019 - AHL, 2020 NHL? There is still legitimate concern about his ability to be impactful in the NHL, given his size, no?

No, i don't think his weight is any concern, not at all, maybe several years ago, but not now.
- i expect him to be in the Panthers top 9 next season and play well.

Fast skater, high hockey IQ, awesome PP player, etc. etc.

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
No, i don't think his weight is any concern, not at all, maybe several years ago, but not now.
- i expect him to be in the Panthers top 9 next season and play well.

Fast skater, high hockey IQ, awesome PP player, etc. etc.

I might be in the wrong here, but isn’t his skating pretty average? And that’s never good at his size/weight.

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
I might be in the wrong here, but isn’t his skating pretty average? And that’s never good at his size/weight.
He definitely isn't fast, but like always, i'd take anything George says with a grain of salt.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He should learn to shoot a bit faster too. I think a lot of Finnish kids (maybe Europeans in general) take way too long to wind their wrist shot because there's so much time on the big ice.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He should learn to shoot a bit faster too. I think a lot of Finnish kids (maybe Europeans in general) take way too long to wind their wrist shot because there's so much time on the big ice.

His shot is fine.

Also, i think he proved himself quite enough by playing smaller ice hockey in the WHL
and doing exceptional work there (204 points in 129 games + another 42 points, play-offs & m-cup)
- not sure what was going on with him at the last WJC (Buffalo), he didn't look like himself, at all
i expect him to play at his own level this time

Sure, its a complete different ball game when you play as a pro and when you play in the NHL
but that said, i don't see him getting any troubles.

I guess we have to wait and see.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
2018-2019 season so far (Liiga+CHL+WJC)
14 goals, 28 assists, 42 points, +17 (44 games)

Not Petterrson level numbers, but.. really good numbers nevertheless for a 19 year old, first time pro.
- after the WJC, Kärpät and Hepo have 22 games left in the regular season.

Kinda obvious (to me) that should give a serious push for the Panthers line up
from the get go (2019-2020 NHL season).

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I just have to say I've lost a lot of respect for this kid. The way he has presented himself at the WJCs has been just awful. He consistently plays extended shifts at the expense of other players, and I'm not talking about just some second here and there, but minutes. When he gets the call to the bench, it doesn't matter if he's at the offensive zone, his own zone or even standing next to the bench. He will always be the last person to jump back in - no matter the circumstance. Now I know most if not all players love what they are doing, but placing oneself on a pedestal like that and taking it out of someone else's pocket (who too wants to play and has his own stakes in as much if not more) is just fundamentally wrong and speaks about lack of character. I doubt this happens in his FEL team or if it happened while he was playing in the WHL, but that's been on display in about every game at the WJC. Of course the fault is not only at him, but the coaching staff as well (for letting it happen). Just disgusting.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
I just have to say I've lost a lot of respect for this kid. The way he has presented himself at the WJCs has been just awful. He consistently plays extended shifts at the expense of other players, and I'm not talking about just some second here and there, but minutes. When he gets the call to the bench, it doesn't matter if he's at the offensive zone, his own zone or even standing next to the bench. He will always be the last person to jump back in - no matter the circumstance. Now I know most if not all players love what they are doing, but placing oneself on a pedestal like that and taking it out of someone else's pocket (who too wants to play and has his own stakes in as much if not more) is just fundamentally wrong and speaks about lack of character. I doubt this happens in his FEL team or if it happened while he was playing in the WHL, but that's been on display in about every game at the WJC. Of course the fault is not only at him, but the coaching staff as well (for letting it happen). Just disgusting.
There just Might be a risk that he is so high on himself that he forgets to work.

Talet is there but skating and physical atributes need serious work.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Oh my god lmao. Disgusting post to be honest.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Why make such a big deal out of such a small issue? Do you know if he's been told to take shorter shifts? Isn't seem so because he's still in the lineup or hasn't been dropped down. Really we know you're mad just because you it's Kakko's ice time that takes a hit and you have been trying to pump Kakko's tires hereall tournament.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Why make such a big deal out of such a small issue? Do you know if he's been told to take shorter shifts? Isn't seem so because he's still in the lineup or hasn't been dropped down. Really we know you're mad just because you it's Kakko's ice time that takes a hit and you have been trying to pump Kakko's tires hereall tournament.
Exactly. He just had 4 points last game and sets up plays.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Oh my god lmao. Disgusting post to be honest.

What, if the content is based on facts so what about it exactly bothers you? The opinion of the author or what's exactly happening? Also if you don't believe what you just read, check the ice time distribution yourself, then compare it between the first two lines and line mates, or do it like me and watch the game(s), and then count the extended personal game time while watching Heponiemi cruise between line changes.

If you think some two/two+ minutes a game personal shift extension is small issue that's fine. I really don't know what he's been told or not told to do, but if a coach would tell a player to extend his own shifts by his own accord as opposed to following the usual rotation, that would probably be the first time I've come across with something like this. Yeah and I'm certainly not denying it wouldn't bug me not seeing Kakko as much as he could/should be playing. That has nothing to do with pumping his tires but genuine interest of seeing how well he could do without these 13 and 14 minute games. Also it's kind of strange how Ahokas (the head coach) is behaving, cause there's no way he cannot be aware of what Heponiemi is doing and if the pattern is fine with him, then why not rotate the lines differently. Like instead of the 1st => 2nd => 3rd => 1st/4th he could play any other line but second after the first so it wouldn't always be one player suffering.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
What, if the content is based on facts so what about it exactly bothers you? The opinion of the author or what's exactly happening? Also if you don't believe what you just read, check the ice time distribution yourself, then compare it between the first two lines and line mates, or do it like me and watch the game(s), and then count the extended personal game time while watching Heponiemi cruise between line changes.

If you think some two/two+ minutes a game personal shift extension is small issue that's fine. I really don't know what he's been told or not told to do, but if a coach would tell a player to extend his own shifts by his own accord as opposed to following the usual rotation, that would probably be the first time I've come across with something like this. Yeah and I'm certainly not denying it wouldn't bug me not seeing Kakko as much as he could/should be playing. That has nothing to do with pumping his tires but genuine interest of seeing how well he could do without these 13 and 14 minute games. Also it's kind of strange how Ahokas (the head coach) is behaving, cause there's no way he cannot be aware of what Heponiemi is doing and if the pattern is fine with him, then why not rotate the lines differently. Like instead of the 1st => 2nd => 3rd => 1st/4th he could play any other line but second after the first so it wouldn't always be one player suffering.
Losing a lot of respect for a player because of his shift lenghts is a bit excessive,making it a big issue.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Losing a lot of respect for a player because of his shift lenghts is a bit excessive,making it a big issue.

Yeah well I suppose a player should not only think about what's best for himself, but what's best for the entire team (including other team mates). Like the other poster hinted earlier, it's not only disrespectful but acting like one is above the other. Selfishness can be turned to an asset and for instance many great goal scorers can possess a bit of that in their personality, but yeah generally speaking it's rather lame quality in a person and something I certainly don't find appealing.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Yeah well I suppose a player should not only think about what's best for himself, but what's best for the entire team (including other team mates). Like the other poster hinted earlier, it's not only disrespectful but acting like one is above the other. Selfishness can be turned to an asset and for instance many great goal scorers can possess a bit of that in their personality, but yeah generally speaking it's rather lame quality in a person and something I certainly don't find appealing.
He won a gold medal. I think he made the right decision screwing the team over. Am I right?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He won a gold medal. I think he made the right decision screwing the team over. Am I right?

Oh, do you mean he did something special in the finals that condoned him from stealing good proportion of Kakko's ice time in the tournament? Or are you perhaps referring to that "highlight reel" equalizer he scored against Canada with the "little" help he got from Tolvanen? :D

What a funny statement. Then again, maybe that's just the "Panther" in you with these sentiments? I'm just glad someone brought this kid back to earth before the finals. Whether it was the coach or the captain doesn't really matter.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Oh, do you mean he did something special in the finals that condoned him from stealing good proportion of Kakko's ice time in the tournament? Or are you perhaps referring to that "highlight reel" equalizer he scored against Canada with the "little" help he got from Tolvanen? :D

What a funny statement. Then again, maybe that's just the "Panther" in you with these sentiments? I'm just glad someone brought this kid back to earth before the finals. Whether it was the coach or the captain doesn't really matter.
He led the tournament in points. If you want to talk about someone who wasn’t team first point to that useless waste of a roster space tolvanen.

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019
He led the tournament in points. If you want to talk about someone who wasn’t team first point to that useless waste of a roster space tolvanen.
Tolvanen played a great tournament. After his shots did not go in, he changed up his game and was one of the best forwards for Finland in the elimination games. It shows great adaptability to be able to change your game on the fly and try something else when things are not working. He created lots of space with his skating, defended well, gave good passes and just worked so hard.

The Heponiemi criticism is unwarranted. His change times were annoying but that's all they were, annoyances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad