C Aleksi Heponiemi- Modo, Hockey Allsvenskan, Sweden (2017, 40th, FLA)

Ana Crusis

Oct 13, 2010
south of heaven
Why the negativity? Finland won the championship and Hepo was good and still people are whining about it? I know it is Finnish mentality to downplay succes and then cheer when things go badly but this is getting embarrasing :rolleyes:

Its only one guy spreading the hate . (Probably a man crush on kakko)

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Hepo was not good early in the tourney and was quite bad actually. He improved steadily as it went along. I thought he was average and was a bit disappointed in this tourney. But it was encouraging to see him improve. I think he is a slow starter when not comfortable and this doesn’t assert himself or have much confidence until he is comfortable with his teammates and surroundings. But the ice time thing is a non issue . He’s still a high end prospect with great tools and potential this tourney does not affect that

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Prove? There's a page back option here, where you can find all you need to know. Geez. Anyway since you whined lets just throw the rest out there and the break up the TOI distribution on game by game basis:

FIN - SWE :
Heponiemie: 22:22
Jokiharju 25:06
Kupari: 17:44
Lundell: 15:24
Kakko: 14:25

FIN - KAZ:
Heponiemi 20:41
Jokiharju 19:01
Kupari 18:50
Kakko 15:33
Lundel 17:32

FIN - SLV
Heponiemi 17:01
Jokiharju 20:30
Kupari: 15:41
Kakko: 15:43
Lundell: 15:16

FIN - USA
Heponiemi 19:54
Jokiharju: 20:59
Kupari 17:30
Kakko: 13:30 (BP)
Lundell: 14:15

FIN- CAN
Heponiemi: 22:12
Jokiharju: 29:02
Kupari: 20:39
Kakko: 15:18
Lundell: 17:27

FIN - SWI
Heponiemi 20:51 (BP)
Jokiharju 20:53
Kupari 17:41
Kakko 15:22
Lundell: 14:54

FIN -USA
Heponiemi 19:28
Jokiharju: 19:28
Kupari 15:48
Kakko 16:23 (BP)
Lundell 18:43

Kupari and Heponiemi played in the same line the entire tournament as well as in the same PP. So could it be by any coincidence that Hepo's TOI was consistently 2-5 minutes higher in almost every single game including Kupari? Not a frigging chance. He almost rivaled our #1D as far as TOI distribution goes. Kakko on the other hand played his biggest minutes in the Finals, when all out of the blue sky Heponiemi dropped this stupid act and started playing like the rest of them (although keep in mind that I did mostly only paid attention when 1st line was being rotated to second on the fly - which was how rotation mostly went). So in that light Hepo "getting" this much more TOI compared to his peers was no freak accident, but a result of systematic and consistent abuse of the trust by punch of stupid coaches. Yeah Ahokas brought home the gold medal but with this roster that was the only medal that would've satisfied the audience. He wasn't and still isn't a perfect coach, especially when tournaments are played in the small rinks and is much to blame as Hepo, cause he should have put an end to this a long time before that. And people bring up how Heponiemi was first in the internal scoring? I don't usually use this word here but lolz. Of course we can still have a look at the shift lengths if this isn't enough "prove".
Congratulations, you listed me ice times and still proved nothing lol.

Reactions: Beezeral

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I watched plenty of the games. Hepo was one of if not the best player on the ice regardless of team when he was out there. I also have coached many games and often use a strategy where I put my best player on the ice first and have him come off last every one of his shifts. It's a very common strategy and it's very likely this is what Heponiemi was told to do.

Only problem with this theory is that Heponiemi is not a better player than Kakko.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Congratulations, you listed me ice times and still proved nothing lol.

Can't really help if you are completely unable to connect any dots no matter how much data is being presented now can I? :D

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Can't really help if you are completely unable to connect any dots no matter how much data is being presented now can I? :D
It isn't really worth my time when to debate you when you're complaining about how much ice time a player gets when he contributed to your team winning a gold medal. Enjoy being incompetent :thumbu:

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Only problem with this theory is that Heponiemi is not a better player than Kakko.
While yes this is true. Hepo was expected to make an impact in this tournament as a 19 year old compared to 17 year old kakko. So I think he’s saying he’s the best player today. I also agree Kakko will be pretty handily better than Hepo.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It isn't really worth my time when to debate you when you're complaining about how much ice time a player gets when he contributed to your team winning a gold medal. Enjoy being incompetent :thumbu:

And here I was thinking you had trouble only with connecting the dots - when there's only so much I can do for you there. Yet it seems not only that, but you cannot even provide any contextual value to the discussion itself. At least you seem capable of reading the scoring charts and understand what a golden goal means, so maybe there's hope for you yet (unless you just googled a few days old headline)! :thumbu:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
And here I was thinking you had trouble only with connecting the dots - when there's only so much I can do for you there. Yet it seems not only that, but you cannot even provide any contextual value to the discussion itself. At least you seem capable of reading the scoring charts and understand what a golden goal means, so maybe there's hope for you yet (unless you just googled a few days old headline)! :thumbu:
The context here is that you have your knickers in a twist over the amount of ice time Heponiemi logged during the tournament :thumbu: nice try tho :naughty:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
The context here is that you have your knickers in a twist over the amount of ice time Heponiemi logged during the tournament :thumbu: nice try tho :naughty:

Simple math, added with shift to shift example of extended ice time gained in a certain game followed by in depth analysis, all of which requires no rocket science and still yet somehow out of reach or too complicated to fully comprehend? M'kay. xD

It has become abundantly clear that all of this is too much for you to encompass. Sorry, seems I have no choice but to raise my hands up in the air at this point. Hope you can understand (least this much). Best of luck with getting familiar with the concepts of hockey though!

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Simple math, added with shift to shift example of extended ice time gained in a certain game followed by in depth analysis, all of which requires no rocket science and still yet somehow out of reach or too complicated to fully comprehend? M'kay. xD

It has become abundantly clear that all of this is too much for you to encompass. Sorry, seems I have no choice but to raise my hands up in the air at this point. Hope you can understand (least this much). Best of luck with getting familiar with the concepts of hockey though!
Its great that you're able to comprehend basic math but you cant seem to comprehend that the original context here was you whining and complaining about Heponiemi getting more ice time than Kakko and not really proving anything other than showing ice time logs and then whining some more (lol). Not my fault you can't understand the basic concepts of both hockey and comprehension!

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Its great that you're able to comprehend basic math but you cant seem to comprehend that the original context here was you whining and complaining about Heponiemi getting more ice time than Kakko and not really proving anything other than showing ice time logs and then whining some more (lol). Not my fault you can't understand the basic concepts of both hockey and comprehension!
I think the problem was Heponiemi staying on the ice for extended shifts when Kakko's line came on, not necessarily Heponiemi's TOI compared to Kakko's.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

This is just entertainment at it's finest, cheers! You've gone into a repeat now about me not providing any concrete prove for the arguments, yet I went to as far as re-winding a record of one of the games and counting seconds after one or both of Hepo's line mates jumping into the bench and him self-extending his own shifts. Here, catch!

I posted this on another thread where I calculated all the extended shifts he played in the first USA game:

1st period: 32 seconds
2nd period: 25 + 35 seconds
3rd period: 21 + 16 + 23 seconds
So what is this then? It's called details (just an example). And what have you proved? Absolutely nothing. What have you brought into the discussion (other than having the capability of crying a river). Nothing. You're just going on and on about lack of prove and evidence like a broken record, yet there's plenty to go around and a lot of it has already been talked over. So I suggest you take some time to actually read what has been discussed and get a hang of things, cause eventually if you keep this up, even the entertaining value that you've managed to bring up so far will eventually cease to exist. This is just absolutely hilarious. :D

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
This is just entertainment at it's finest, cheers! You've gone into a repeat now about me not providing any concrete prove for the arguments, yet I went to as far as re-winding a record of one of the games and counting seconds after one or both of Hepo's line mates jumping into the bench and him self-extending his own shifts. Here, catch!

So what is this then? It's called details (just an example). And what have you proved? Absolutely nothing. What have you brought into the discussion (other than having the capability of crying a river). Nothing. You're just going on and on about lack of prove and evidence like a broken record, yet there's plenty to go around and a lot of it has already been talked over. So I suggest you take some time to actually read what has been discussed and get a hang of things, cause eventually if you keep this up, even the entertaining value that you've managed to bring up so far will eventually cease to exist. This is just absolutely hilarious. :D
I don't have to prove anything nor am I trying to lol. You're the one whose proving to everyone that youre incompetent, and silly. You reply in paragraph after paragraph after being told that you're being ridiculous over whining about a player who stayed a couple more seconds on the ice per shift every game, even when he contributed to the team winning the gold medal. It's actually you crying the river here. You're right this is absolutely hilarious :DD it's hilarious that you're getting so rattled over something so minor even after the fact that your team won the gold medal. Thanks for the free show though, really appreciate it! :sarcasm:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I don't have to prove anything nor am I trying to lol. You're the one whose proving to everyone that youre incompetent, and silly. You reply in paragraph after paragraph after being told that you're being ridiculous over whining about a player who stayed a couple more seconds on the ice per shift every game, even when he contributed to the team winning the gold medal. It's actually you crying the river here. You're right this is absolutely hilarious :DD it's hilarious that you're getting so rattled over something so minor even after the fact that your team won the gold medal. Thanks for the free show though, really appreciate it! :sarcasm:

"Couple of more seconds" haha. This is frigging hilarious. Do you think anyone would've ever cared to even mention if someone was cheating few seconds here and there? Nada. Since we're aware of your math skills those couple of seconds were 2 minutes and 36 seconds in the USA game explicitly (out from Kakko's ice time alone). He was doing the exact same thing before and after which you can again see (or maybe you can't but who cares) without me having to break it down to shift-to-shift level from the overall TOI spread around the games, which I again presented. As for the excuse like "he was just contributing to the gold medal", what a joke, like really. Was there any single player who wasn't contributing to the gold medal? Erm let me think... no, don't think so? :D

I know you don't have anything to contribute as far as this topic goes aside from the circus parade you've managed to build up and I always appreciate the good laughs so good job really. Aside from the other agendas like for instance trying to casually divert the conversation elsewhere, try belittle his actions, attempts to offend the author or what not, all of which again speak about the ability (or rather lack of it) to build any kind of constructive counter-argument. Good stuff. It's been funny enough to keep me on board up so far. :thumbu:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
"Couple of more seconds" haha. This is frigging hilarious. Do you think anyone would've ever cared to even mention if someone was cheating few seconds here and there? Nada. Since we're aware of your math skills those couple of seconds were 2 minutes and 36 seconds in the USA game explicitly (out from Kakko's ice time alone). He was doing the exact same thing before and after which you can again see (or maybe you can't but who cares) without me having to break it down to shift-to-shift level from the overall TOI spread around the games, which I again presented. As for the excuse like "he was just contributing to the gold medal", what a joke, like really. Was there any single player who wasn't contributing to the gold medal? Erm let me think... no, don't think so? :D

I know you don't have anything to contribute as far as this topic goes aside from the circus parade you've managed to build up and I always appreciate the good laughs so good job really. Aside from the other agendas like for instance trying to casually divert the conversation elsewhere, try belittle his actions, attempts to offend the author or what not, all of which again speak about the ability (or rather lack of it) to build any kind of constructive counter-argument. Good stuff. It's been funny enough to keep me on board up so far. :thumbu:
Keep providing the entertainment :popcorn:, it's getting quite hilarious that you're getting so pissed off over Heponiemi staying on the ice longer that you've become obsessed with citing the ice time logs and clinging onto such a useless and pointless argument like your life depends on it. It's also funny how you try and belittle me by saying 'you havent contributed anything to this discussion' when the majority of your posts on this thread is you crying and b******g about how much longer a player stayed on the ice per shift. If it was really that big of a deal like you make it out to be, the coach would've benched him, but he didnt!!! o_O And yes I'm fully aware that more than one player contributed to Finland winning a gold medal but you fail to comprehend that this is a thread about this specific player :sarcasm:. People are going to discuss this specific player when the thread is specifically about him. :rolleyes: You've proven nothing other than how ridiculous you really are. Congratulations but that awards you no points :thumbu:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Keep providing the entertainment :popcorn:, it's getting quite hilarious that you're getting so pissed off over Heponiemi staying on the ice longer that you've become obsessed with citing the ice time logs and clinging onto such a useless and pointless argument like your life depends on it. It's also funny how you try and belittle me by saying 'you havent contributed anything to this discussion' when the majority of your posts on this thread is you crying and b******g about how much longer a player stayed on the ice per shift. If it was really that big of a deal like you make it out to be, the coach would've benched him, but he didnt!!! o_O And yes I'm fully aware that more than one player contributed to Finland winning a gold medal but you fail to comprehend that this is a thread about this specific player :sarcasm:. People are going to discuss this specific player when the thread is specifically about him. :rolleyes: You've proven nothing other than how ridiculous you really are. Congratulations but that awards you no points :thumbu:

You run out of imagination and started not only quoting me but also repeating whatever I said? I avoid using his word around here but "lolz". But hey, it's great if we're both entertained!

So now you at least admit that he did indeed extend his shifts as opposed to just playing "few seconds more"? Are you finally getting "it" despite having all the top forwards' TOI's available practically the entire time to make direct comparisons from, of which you could've used to form conclusions with just a shred of an imagination? As for the bolded, when you refer to player contributing for a team that came home with the gold medal, it's so obvious that any sane person wouldn't even bring it up, unless they thought that particular player did something so amazing in the tournament that it needed to be pedestaled. But of course you would come up with something like that, I mean, who else? :D Unfortunately despite of getting minutes equal to team's defencemen, Heponiemi never did anything of the kind. His highlight moment was probably skating at the right place at the right time, so that Tolvanen could shoot the puck straight at him.

It's so amusing when you stick to this obsession stuff and yet just a moment ago you didn't even really know what the heck you were ranting about. Furthermore now this feeble attempt to turn around the table with me "belittling" you, when in fact the statement of you bringing nothing into this discussion was as valid as someone pointing out that the sky is looking foggy and cloudy in Tampere, Finland at the moment.

Then lastly, the underlined part pretty much confirms that you've been sleeping over the discussion and probably didn't even bother watching the games, cause if you had done one or the other (if not both), you'd know that they DID indeed do something about that. In the finals, which again has been mentioned many, many times over. Had they not reacted (rather sooner than later) the end result might have been entirely different and Heponiemi would be receiving heck of a lot more critique at the moment. Right now no one really bothers since the team achieved what they went in for and most are satisfied with that. I'm sure that applies to Kakko too, but I'm also quite sure at the same time he's pissed off for all the missed opportunities (thanks to Hepo) in this tournament. That's not the kind of stuff players go in for the press with, since they do know better. As for a fan in a random internet board, it's a whole another ball game.

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019
You run out of imagination and started not only quoting me but also repeating whatever I said? I avoid using his word around here but "lolz". But hey, it's great if we're both entertained!

So now you at least admit that he did indeed extend his shifts as opposed to just playing "few seconds more"? Are you finally getting "it" despite having all the top forwards' TOI's available practically the entire time to make direct comparisons from, of which you could've used to form conclusions with just a shred of an imagination? As for the bolded, when you refer to player contributing for a team that came home with the gold medal, it's so obvious that any sane person wouldn't even bring it up, unless they thought that particular player did something so amazing in the tournament that it needed to be pedestaled. But of course you would come up with something like that, I mean, who else? :D Unfortunately despite of getting minutes equal to team's defencemen, Heponiemi never did anything of the kind. His highlight moment was probably skating at the right place at the right time, so that Tolvanen could shoot the puck straight at him.

It's so amusing when you stick to this obsession stuff and yet just a moment ago you didn't even really know what the heck you were ranting about. Furthermore now this feeble attempt to turn around the table with me "belittling" you, when in fact the statement of you bringing nothing into this discussion was as valid as someone pointing out that the sky is looking foggy and cloudy in Tampere, Finland at the moment.

Then lastly, the underlined part pretty much confirms that you've been sleeping over the discussion and probably didn't even bother watching the games, cause if you had done one or the other (if not both), you'd know that they DID indeed do something about that. In the finals, which again has been mentioned many, many times over. Had they not reacted (rather sooner than later) the end result might have been entirely different and Heponiemi would be receiving heck of a lot more critique at the moment. Right now no one really bothers since the team achieved what they went in for and most are satisfied with that. I'm sure that applies to Kakko too, but I'm also quite sure at the same time he's pissed off for all the missed opportunities (thanks to Hepo) in this tournament. That's not the kind of stuff players go in for the press with, since they do know better. As for a fan in a random internet board, it's a whole another ball game.
I wonder how many pages you've written all together about Heponiemi and his extended shifts in WJC. Maybe it's time for you to reflect on what you're doing? Talk about crazy Finnish fans, jeez.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I wonder how many pages you've written all together about Heponiemi and his extended shifts in WJC. Maybe it's time for you to reflect on what you're doing? Talk about crazy Finnish fans, jeez.
No kidding. Its like talking to a brick. He thinks im trying to debate him on whatever when really I called him out and ridiculous his behavior is and that hes whining and throwing a tantrum over something so minor and stupid.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

Yeah tell me about it. But this guy seriously does amuse me so I'm just keeping myself entertained during a boring day at work. :D As for the matter, I think pretty much everything has been covered already so it's turned more like correcting some folks who just think I hate the guy, which I don't by the way. Even if I found his actions pretty despicable. Still, past is the past, and who knows maybe Heponiemi redeems himself in the future and turns into a less selfish and more team oriented player.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
No kidding. Its like talking to a brick. He thinks im trying to debate him on whatever when really I called him out and ridiculous his behavior is and that hes whining and throwing a tantrum over something so minor and stupid.

Yeah except you and I seem to have a different views on what's small and what isn't. Someone consistently hijacking 2-3 or 3-4 minutes ice time from a team mate (who also happens to have more stocks in the tournament) isn't such a small issue for me as it seems to be to you.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
While yes this is true. Hepo was expected to make an impact in this tournament as a 19 year old compared to 17 year old kakko. So I think he’s saying he’s the best player today. I also agree Kakko will be pretty handily better than Hepo.

I didn't say Kakko "will be" better than Heponiemi. He is already better than Heponiemi as it is. There is no reason to expect Heponiemi to make more of an impact at the WJC when Kakko is the better player as of January 2019.

And even if you're willing to argue that Heponiemi is currently slightly better, are you willing to argue that he's also better when he's already been on the ice with Kupari for 40 seconds and is somewhat gassed? Do you think having a tired Heponiemi on the ice instead of a fresh Kakko is a good strategy? If he was eating up the ice-time of a 4th line scrub like Vainionpää or Engberg, that would make a lot more sense, but in reality he was eating up the ice-time of the best forward on the team.

As someone who loved to watch Raipe play I liked it that the play-by-play man on Finnish TV kept referring to Raipe throughout the tournament when talking about Heponiemi's saucer passes. He also said that Raipe might have had an influence on the way Heponiemi plays. I wonder if that's really true. He was only 9 years old when Helminen retired. How much can he remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: kelsier

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I didn't say Kakko "will be" better than Heponiemi. He is already better than Heponiemi as it is. There is no reason to expect Heponiemi to make more of an impact at the WJC when Kakko is the better player as of January 2019.

And even if you're willing to argue that Heponiemi is currently slightly better, are you willing to argue that he's also better when he's already been on the ice with Kupari for 40 seconds and is somewhat gassed? Do you think having a tired Heponiemi on the ice instead of a fresh Kakko is a good strategy? If he was eating up the ice-time of a 4th line scrub like Vainionpää or Engberg, that would make a lot more sense, but in reality he was eating up the ice-time of the best forward on the team.

As someone who loved to watch Raipe play I liked it that the play-by-play man on Finnish TV kept referring to Raipe throughout the tournament when talking about Heponiemi's saucer passes. He also said that Raipe might have had an influence on the way Heponiemi plays. I wonder if that's really true. He was only 9 years old when Helminen retired. How much can he remember.
I don’t disagree but heponiemi was supposed to be the best player on team Finland even if kakko is the most talented.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I don’t disagree but heponiemi was supposed to be the best player on team Finland

Who supposed this and why? Why would you suppose he's better than Kakko or Tolvanen?

I think Jokiharju was clearly the best player on the team, and that was known well before the tournament when he more than held his own at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad