C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
But you have to agree that he has a huge size advantage over Granlund, Pulkkinen & Vatanen. But it's impossible to score point per game with size alone, so obviously he's got some serious skills. Could you compare Barkov and 16yo Granlund skillwise?

In his draft year Granlund scored 40 points in 43 games. It will be interesting to see if Barkov can pull that off as an 16 year old. If he can improve his skating in next two years and starts to deliver some bodychecks, he will be a beast in 2013. If he continues to develop, he could be a top5 pick.
E: And I have to say, that this kid has some pretty impressive people looking after him. Under Dufva's guidance Sami Vatanen blossomed. Janne Ojanen recently joined Tappara's coaching staff. Barkov's parents were top athletes and apparently Ville Nieminen has given him some pointers too

Yeah, size and his huge reach is major part of his game. Granlund was very smart at 16 and offensively Barkov is below Granlund but not much. Barkov has now better shot than Granlund his passes are as good as Granlund but harder. Granlund has a vision which i have seen only for top NHL players. Barkov has great vision aswell and plays very smart game similar to Granlund. Barkov is an FEL regular being barely 16 years old, Granlund was FEL regular being 17 and half years old. If we compare their performance at FEL they're quite equal but Barkov is getting all-game experience. I don't remember Granlund playing crucial moments of the games when their team was leading in his first FEL season as an 17 and half years old. Barkov is doing it now as an 16 years old. Granlund played alot of PP. Barkov is playing mostly even strength and limited PP(i don't understand why). Of course Granlund has developed ALOT since his first FEL season but Barkov has all potential to reach it because he is doing all What Granlund did in FEL in first season as over 1 year younger. Of course his size will help him playing FEL at his age. He has bigger weight and height than Mikko Koivu. He looks +6'3 right now. But i'm happy having both, our future top 2 centers.

His developement environment is just perfect for him. Everyone of that organization respects his dad. Dufva stated that hes most skilled young player ever he has coached and promised responsibility and icetime.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Maybe I'm wrong, but to me, he almost sounds like a physical, more shooting intensive Nicklas Backstrom.

Rimbe

Sep 20, 2011
Finland
We really have some nice center tandem in Granlund and Barkov in the future. Maybe I hype way too much when I say that in 2022 Olympics every team (including team Canada) is gonna have A LOT OF trouble against these two. In 2018 aswell. Even that I wish these two to play well in NHL I still want to see Granlund-Barkov as our top centers in WHC.

Barkov really is exceptional player and for the first time I can say that Kari Lehtonen's record for being drafted by the highest pick (#2nd overall) is in danger.

Last edited:

Latex*

We really have some nice center tandem in Granlund and Barkov in the future. Maybe I hype way too much when I say that in 2022 Olympics every team (including team Canada) is gonna have A LOT OF trouble against these two. In 2018 aswell. Even that I wish these two to play well in NHL I still want to see Granlund-Barkov as our top centers in WHC.

Barkov really is unexceptional player and for the first time I can say that Kari Lehtonen's record for being drafted by the highest pick (#2nd overall) is in danger.

:huh:

Needles

Jun 29, 2010

This guy is a manchild :laugh: Can't wait how he performs at the U18's this season. If he can improve his skating, Toni Rajala's scoring record (10+9) could be in jeopardy in 2013.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
BTW if some non-Finnish want to know, he said in the interview that his future goal is "NHL... or KHL". So clearly his main goal is NHL, then followed by KHL. Just to silence those who think his Russian roots would make him choose KHL over NHL.

Anyways, I'm really excited about this kid, but still, he is so young that he is bound to face some troubles during the long season. Hopefully he stays humble and don't let all the hype go in his head. That is what separates your Koivus and Granlunds from the rest.

Should be really exciting draft (2013) for the Finns with Ristolainen and Barkov plus others.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Maybe I'm wrong, but to me, he almost sounds like a physical, more shooting intensive Nicklas Backstrom.

Barkov doesen't shoot very much. He should because his shot is hard and accurate + release is quick. I'm watching him playing right now and he looks like Pavel Datsyuk with bigger frame. So smart decisions with the puck. Make small easy plays in the defensive zone. Amazing vision and playmaking skills. He have been most dangerous player of the game so far after 1st period and most safest player in own zone from both teams. Barkov gonna be selke-calibre of player someday if he continues to develope this way. He has Mikko Koivus ability to use body in the defensive zone shrinking up space from puck holder and Datsyuk ability to steal the puck and stickhandle it in traffic, and make very smart decisions with the puck. I'm sure you north american people can watch Barkov playing in WJC since Finland plays in same group with Canada and US. Best comparison is mix of Mikko Koivu and Pavel Datsyuk.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
1 assist + 18mins icetime. First goal against him and it was his eight game.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I heard that he will play in upcoming U20 WC. Looking forward to it.
Certainly looks like it, but I'm not sure if he is a lock at this point. We have a really strong team this year, and making the team as 16-year-old would be huge. But given his versatility and two-way game, not to mention his SM-Liiga merits, it would be tough to not take him because of the age thing.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Certainly looks like it, but I'm not sure if he is a lock at this point. We have a really strong team this year, and making the team as 16-year-old would be huge. But given his versatility and two-way game, not to mention his SM-Liiga merits, it would be tough to not take him because of the age thing.

He's lock imo, he is young yes but he has proved that he belongs into wjc team. He is already one of the best two-way fowards if not best. Add his amazing offensive skills and his physical assets.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
If Barkov was a year or two older now and broke into SM-liiga this season doing what he's done so far, he'd be considered a definite lock on the U-20 roster. He's done everything as well as possible so far, and it'd be even rather unfair for him to be left out. I can't see how any experience against top competition could hinder his development, despite his age.

Then again, he could pull a Matti Nykänen and say that he'd join team Russia if he couldn't play for Finland. I'm sure Raipe is worried as hell about that.

:sarcasm:

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
If Barkov was a year or two older now and broke into SM-liiga this season doing what he's done so far, he'd be considered a definite lock on the U-20 roster. He's done everything as well as possible so far, and it'd be even rather unfair for him to be left out. I can't see how any experience against top competition could hinder his development, despite his age.
I agree. However, I have to comment on the last sentence. The World Juniors are not (just) about developing the players, the main purpose is to win hockey games. Remember Armia last year, who completely vanished in the international circuit, despite SM-liiga success? I'm not saying the same would happen to Barkov, and because of his good defensive two-way game, he would also be a good addition to the bottom-6 role. I just wouldn't put a 16-year-old into a scoring role at this point. But let Sasha jr. prove me wrong!

EDIT: Also keeping in mind the epic choke fest we had last year against the Russian, we need experienced guys as the main roles. Not kids who drive moped-cars :help:

Last edited:

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
I agree. However, I have to comment on the last sentence. The World Juniors are not (just) about developing the players, the main purpose is to win hockey games. Remember Armia last year, who completely vanished in the international circuit, despite SM-liiga success? I'm not saying the same would happen to Barkov, and because of his good defensive two-way game, he would also be a good addition to the bottom-6 role. I just wouldn't put a 16-year-old into a scoring role at this point. But let Sasha jr. prove me wrong!

EDIT: Also keeping in mind the epic choke fest we had last year against the Russian, we need experienced guys as the main roles. Not kids who drive moped-cars :help:

Luckily we are in a position where we wouldn't need to rely on him to take the responsibility, we've got older more experienced guys to do that. If/when he gets picked for the team (I think he should), he can play with relatively little pressure. And there's no problem to make him a 4th line center if the scoring lines don't work out for him just yet on this level.

And I think it would be wrong to not take him just because he is young. He is young, but he is so much better than some of the older guys too. Bringing him in would bring so much more options and versatility to the lines, and like I said it's not even a problem where to put him because he can always play 4th line center.

If we were to rely on him as a 1st line center we could be in trouble, but luckily we don't have to

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Barkov Jr. is upgraded to the 2nd line as an center. It's nice to see when barely 16 year old kid fights his way from 4th line into 2nd line and increases his icetime from barely 10minutes to +18. Coaching staff trusts him and he have been great for the team. He has also best PPG for his team and best +/- in bad team. Just amazed. Very excited to watch him today. I'm watching Teuvo Teräväinen aswell who debuts in first line of his team.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Tappara coached by Dufva is definately not a bad team. They are actually the best home team in the league as of now.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Barkov Jr. vs Mikael Granlund. Barkov scores the first goal of the game after after 7mins played. Barkov Jr. have been best player of the game so far.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Barkov just scored against HIFK. Bad rebound by Riksman, and Sasha made no mistake.

E: :eeek:

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Barkov must be putting up the best points two years before the draft in the history of SM-liiga?
Technically it's only one year before the draft. Now it's the 11/12 season, and he is 2013 eligible. But yeah, that's probably right. Not to mention being born in september, he's only weeks away from being 2014 eligible, so he is very young compared to his draft class.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Barkov must be putting up the best points two years before the draft in the history of SM-liiga?

Youngest player ever to score at FEL, youngest player to have point in FEL, he gonna setup new record for most point as an 16 year old or younger. In december he gonna be youngest player ever to play WJC for finland. Hes breaking up several records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad