Bye bye Tamby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm as disappointed as anybody else over last nights loss and voiced my displeasure loudly in the PGT and agree that there doesn't appear to be enough improvement in many key areas but what a bunch of crazy reactionary hyperbole in the OP. Just craziness.
The team still has a ways to go but it's not THAT bad. Tambellini has failed to address some issues for sure but the roster isn't a disaster by any means and Harpoon, are you actually complaining about the goaltending? Dubnyk has been great and i'm not just talking about this season, it goes back to last January. Sure, he lets in some softies but there has clearly been more good than bad in his game.

I think that we should give more than an 8 game sample size with a new coach in place before throwing everybody under the bus. If the team hasn't shown real, live improvement by the end of this season and is still wallowing around in lottery territory (by lottery, i mean near the bottom 5) then i will be right there with you on the Fire Tambo line.
I expected this season to be the year that they are at least playing meaningful games in March. I never expected them to make the playoffs this season, a near (real) .500 team or slightly over .500 team would be a nice step forward for this group. Lets see how the team progresses over the next month or so before firing people.

A team that has finished 30, 30, 29, in a 30 team league is again showing the telltale signs of tanking through a 3 game losing streak in a stretch where the Oilers were expected to jump out of the gate because they had so many players already playing through the lockout and a full first unit playing TOGETHER all year. Strangely enough we lose a game to Colorado who have a depleted lineup and are entirely without their first line.

Because we've seen this movie before so many times we can kind of tell that once the players on this club sag, put their heads down, and start playing futile that the slide in earnest is in place. I'm surprised if anything that it happened so quickly. 9 games in and we're sinking.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
The bottom line is that decisions need to be made in very short order and if Tambo screws the pooch on them we are in trouble. These decisions are:

What to do with: Gagner, Hemsky, and Whitney.

Do you commit to Gagner in spite of his flaws and hope that his offensive creativity and production make up for them and lock him up for 3-5 years? Or do you keep pestering Sherman until you get ROR in Oilers silks? Do you move Hemsky now that he's healthy and productive? Do you move Whitney soon or wait until the deadline and hope that we are somewhat healthy on the blueline by then?

We need some size and grit up front, if Eager is to return soon he adds just that, if not it needs to be addressed. I think that the core that he has put together is a solid one, but the supporting players need a major overhauling, this is where he will either earn his paycheck or cut his own throat. IMO the Belanger signing looked like a solid move and it sucks that he got hurt, Eager came out with something to prove but got hurt, and I liked the N. Schultz for Gilbert trade. I also liked the Fistric trade. There is still work to be done and at this point in the rebuild we simply cannot be content with trying to get every roster hole filled by the draft. Tambo is definitely on the clock.
IMO...I think Eager is done. If he can't play his game because of the risk of concussion, a very legitimate excuse, I don't think he can be effective.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
according to the OP
Trade Yakupov, Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Gagner, Both Schultz and everyone else because they do not light it up every night!
Yeah that's an excellent summary jts.
Pretty much exactly what I said.

Harpoon, are you actually complaining about the goaltending?
Not at the moment, no. But its been years of crappy goaltending since Roloson left. Maybe my English was poor or something but I thought it was clear that I was speaking about all of the years under Tamby's guidance where he has failed again and again to address core issues. I am not speaking about last night or the eight game sample size you mention below. I'm talking four, going on five, years of futility.

I think that we should give more than an 8 game sample size with a new coach in place before throwing everybody under the bus.
Not throwing coach Krueger or anyone else under the bus. Just Tamby.

Last edited:

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
LA? The first goal was called off because it should have been. Quick did a Roloson-like clever move there by holding onto Gagner after he knew that he was not going to be able to get back into position. That was a pretty Quick decision on his part and I respect players that think so well in the moment. The refs called it, sure, but because Quick was on the ball.

But jebus, we tied the game with Yak hitting a bunt off a deflected puck out of mid air with the shaft of his stick with secs left in the game. He could try doing that 25 times and not make it.

In case people didn't notice LA was largely playing with us and can beat us any day of the week if they put some more effort across, which I suspect they will next time.

One of the problems with this Oilers club is they'll get up for certain games and probably lose, but then in games they should win they have intensity problems. Last night we had a clear recipe for success, the coaching staff had evidently prepared the club, and we rolled off a good first period. Unfortunately we followed it up with two periods and an OT that were nothing like what we did in the first. Explain that.

So the Oilers score a goal that's debatable that doesn't count and then score what you call a fluke goal 45 seconds later but neither should count? What about the egg we laid against the Flames where the difference of the game was another controversial goal call? Yakupov could try that move 25 times and not make it? The next time he tried it he scored an OT winner...

The LA game was pretty evenly matched and you can certainly make an argument that we even deserved the 2 points. They didn't bring their A-game that is true but no one brings their A-game every time. The Oilers haven't brought theirs in a while.

The last paragraph is bang on. Possibly our best period of the year in the first and then two stinkers to follow that. Vancouver is a very good team and at least we got a point.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Theres been several questionable plays by Schultz this year and where he was the sole reason a goal was scored.

But much like this org does is he's being paired with the one bonafide good D on this club to hide the liabilities he's bringing. Because management doesn't much like being shown up in these deals.
Not sure why you "dislike" Gilbert. See what I did there?

I've watched every game and the only major blunder I can recall was against LA when he turned it over at the blueline.

Justin Schultz has played 9 career NHL games and we're labelling him the one good bonafide good D on this team. He's been fantastic but is it possible that the other Schultz has been a big part of that as well? If one member of a defensive pairing is as awful as you suggest (N. Schultz) then that pairing wouldn't have success unless we're talking Pronger-Bergeron. Believe it or not Justin Schultz isn't Chris Pronger.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I think this is a 23-25th place team... just too many injuries right now and no one playing above their head before that... so I say we pick 8th-5th in June... 12th in the conference...

What utter baloney, too many injuries right now....to our 3rd and 4th liners. The thing that is going to be good to watch is that Belanger who 3/4 of the board hated last year will be elevated into a key player status and Horcoff will be elevated into god hood the longer he is out.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What utter baloney, too many injuries right now....to our 3rd and 4th liners. The thing that is going to be good to watch is that Belanger who 3/4 of the board hated last year will be elevated into a key player status and Horcoff will be elevated into god hood the longer he is out.

You seriously don't see the value of missing Horcoff? take your Horcoff-hate blinders off

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Remember when people were calling him "Tammy"? How quickly we forget.
Some people called him Tammy, just like they called Penner pancakes and Stortini huggy and now they're on to snowpants. Doesn't make any of that accurate.

Gilbert was a good player, I'm sorry if you don't recognize that. And I've seen nothing in N Schultz's game to make me think a one for one swap was anything but robbery on the part of the Wild.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury

We could get by without Belanger or Horcoff but both of them is an enormous loss unless they're replaced which in theory isn't hard but Tambellini isn't exactly competent either.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
LA? The first goal was called off because it should have been. Quick did a Roloson-like clever move there by holding onto Gagner after he knew that he was not going to be able to get back into position. That was a pretty Quick decision on his part and I respect players that think so well in the moment. The refs called it, sure, but because Quick was on the ball.

But jebus, we tied the game with Yak hitting a bunt off a deflected puck out of mid air with the shaft of his stick with secs left in the game. He could try doing that 25 times and not make it.

In case people didn't notice LA was largely playing with us and can beat us any day of the week if they put some more effort across, which I suspect they will next time.

One of the problems with this Oilers club is they'll get up for certain games and probably lose, but then in games they should win they have intensity problems. Last night we had a clear recipe for success, the coaching staff had evidently prepared the club, and we rolled off a good first period. Unfortunately we followed it up with two periods and an OT that were nothing like what we did in the first. Explain that.

pretty sure he is 2/2 "bunting" the puck in the net

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You seriously don't see the value of missing Horcoff? take your Horcoff-hate blinders off

Lander will be just as good if not better than Horcoff after about a months time. Horcoff as usual had his one or two good early games on the dot but will end up under 50% for the 4th straight year. He can't generate any offense at all even strength. (2 pts both on the pp)

This might end up us addition by subraction as the young guys are thrust into being leaders and don't have to worry about stepping on our mia captain.

As i said in the other post though, horcoff will become better and better in the eyes of fans and the media the longer he is out. Laughable.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Lander will be just as good if not better than Horcoff after about a months time. Horcoff as usual had his one or two good early games on the dot but will end up under 50% for the 4th straight year. He can't generate any offense at all even strength. (2 pts both on the pp)

This might end up us addition by subraction as the young guys are thrust into being leaders and don't have to worry about stepping on our mia captain.

As i said in the other post though, horcoff will become better and better in the eyes of fans and the media the longer he is out. Laughable.

Horcoff is a loss on this team believe it or not. He might not be a loss on most teams but when you have Gagner and RNH as your top two you need someone that can hold their own on the dot and defensively at 3/4.

I wonder how this injury will affect Horcoff's buyout. Curious to see what odds other posters give that we buy him out this summer.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
Beerfish;59087703[B said:
]Lander will be just as good if not better than Horcoff after about a months time[/B]. Horcoff as usual had his one or two good early games on the dot but will end up under 50% for the 4th straight year. He can't generate any offense at all even strength. (2 pts both on the pp)

Nope.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Eberle's demeanor is especially alarming. I've said this a few times tonight but it bears repeating: I've never seen him look so irritated and frustrated. The fact that there seems to be an organizational mandate to keep Hall-RNH-Eberle as a line (when it's clearly not working) is confusing as hell. It didn't work last year and it doesn't work now. You don't need all of your top offensive players stacked on the same damn line. Nobody does that.

Did you actually pay attention to those plays Eberle was getting frustrated on last night? He was high sticked 3 different times with no calls. I'd be pissed to

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton

I sincerely love your posts.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
In regards to the OP.

Unfortunatley the puppet strings will not be cut by the puppet master quite yet. There is more than one puppet master in this organization and a few puppets that are very good infront of the media.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Isn't that how he scored the OT winner in Phoenix as well?

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton

Have you ever made a post not about Horcoff?

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Belanger will probably be back in time against Columbus or Dallas on the 12th which will probably place him with Smyth and Petrell. If the Nordic line could make a little more "bangs" and "booms", with also some more scoring attempts we should be able to ride this injury train out. But I personally think Oilers should split up the top line as a test. Put Yakapov on the right and Hemsky on the left with Gagner and Eberle. Deep down I think second pairing plus/minus is crap but they are scoring and still giv'er. From what I learned this pass Vancouver game and others in the pass is that RNH/Hall/Eberle are still in ''AHL" mode. Pulling off fancier plays that will stump and AHL defense man but it will just frustrate a NHL defense man and he'll just break up the play. Something needs to get tweaked and fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad