Bye bye Tamby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The org was. With this lineup.

What I think is immaterial. You should be more concerned that this org yet again had expected that this would be a competitive lineup.

"They're just not going in". Nah, not that simple. ZERO confidence right now. REad LMHF's summary, he nailed it. The whole line is passing off chances right now because they don't expect to score. 10 times tonight easily they passed from a good scoring position to a mediocre position. Nothing say lack of confidence like overpassing and not taking the shot. Strangely enough half a dozen games ago Eberle was scoring from spots where he's now not firing from.

go figure.

I really doubt the organization was expecting playoffs *this* year. Next year probably.

This year being a wildcard year maybe there was some optimism amongst media members wanting to make us a trendy pick, but that's about it.

This year the priority for the organization was to get the arena deal done, a few weeks ago we didn't even know if we'd have a season period.

Eberle took the shot with the game on his stick. Luongo saved it. Whataya want to do, 9/10 times that's probably a goal, 1/10 times a world class goalie saves it and he did (and I've always thought the Luongo hate was ridiculously over blown that guy is elite and always has been).

I think what's happening is because they're not getting puck luck our kids sometimes want to score so much that they start doing stupid things that they know better than.

Eberle shouldn't be flying the zone there. Hall should not have taken that stupid off angle shot on the PP in Colorado with Schultz wide open.

That's two kids doing things out of character IMO.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
You are missing the point. I don't mind the first line slumping and it has nothing to do with my post.
All the players on the first line were gifts. Charity for the needy.
Tamby gets zero credit for bringing them in and so far he's done nothing to see that they are properly developed or placed in an environment where they can learn.

Its Tamby's job to bring in players to help that first line succeed and start propelling the team forward.
Who is playing decent right now?
Gagner - here before Tamby took charge.
Hemsky - here before Tamby took charge.
Yakupov - more charity.
Smid (sort of) - here before Tamby took charge.

I guess Belanger was off to a better start (so partial credit there I guess) but our roster has been paper thin for so long that it surprises me you seem happy with the "work" Tamby has done thus far.

I get what you are saying, I'm by no means defending Tambellini because if he got fired, I wouldn't mind it one bit. I do however disagree with you saying this team doesn't have a number 1 center or that we are relying heavily on J.Schultz and it's Tambellini's fault that he is playing 25 mins a game. Right now, Schultz has earned those minutes. He has been our best defencemen and you give your best defencemen those kind of minutes. He doesn't need to bring in players in the top 6 because right now we are okay.

Some of the hate is for Tambo is undeserved IMO. He decided to keep Hemsky and it's paying off. We needed a player that could win faceoffs and kill penalties and he brought in Belanger. He brought in Eager who played his role perfectly but unfortunately got injured. He brought in a physical, bottom pairing defencemen that can kill penalties. Could he do more? Yes but I think a lot of us are panicking a little to early. I'm definitely not happy with the work Tambo has done but at the same time, we have Hall, Nuge, Yak and Schultz cause of him. Call it luck or whatever you want.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I really doubt the organization was expecting playoffs *this* year. Next year probably.

You didn't watch OilChange or hear Laforge's comments before the season? For instance when he said that while other clubs were saying thank you to the fans with giveaways and ticket promotions that the Oilers knew that the one thing the fans wanted most is the Oilers giving them a competive club on the ice?

Presumably that was this year. Mind you while it wasn't stated specifically this year it was certainly inferred.

How much sense does it make to thank fans for their longterm patience by expecting more longterm patience?

Actually it makes a ton of sense here because fans here will support any Oiler club apparently.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I do however disagree with you saying this team doesn't have a number 1 center
Thanks again for your reply.
I didn't say that we don't have a number one center. I said we haven't had one for three years and Tamby's solution to that has been feed a nineteen year old kid to the wolves and don't even give him one competent veteran to play with.
I believe in RNH but again, he's a player we have on our team because of Tamby's ineptitude. Its hardly a feather in his cap.

or that we are relying heavily on J.Schultz and it's Tambellini's fault that he is playing 25 mins a game. Right now, Schultz has earned those minutes. He has been our best defencemen.
Yes he has and again, I am a big fan of Schultz. But this is another player that has just fallen into Tamby's lap. Do you see the pattern here. Every decent player on the team was either already here before Tamby took charge, or is on the team as a result of Tamby's talent for building a last place team.

He decided to keep Hemsky and it's paying off.
You're right. Keeping Hemsky was a solid decision. I neglected to mention it and thanks for pointing it out.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Justin Schultz stepped onto the Oilers blueline and immediately became our best defenseman. I'm thrilled with his play but it's also troublesome.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Glad some of you guys have finally joined the dark side. Been saying Tambo needs to go for the last two years. If we don't make the playoffs this year you may as well kiss our best chance for a cup good bye(next year).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You didn't watch OilChange or hear Laforge's comments before the season? For instance when he said that while other clubs were saying thank you to the fans with giveaways and ticket promotions that the Oilers knew that the one thing the fans wanted most is the Oilers giving them a competive club on the ice?

Presumably that was this year. Mind you while it wasn't stated specifically this year it was certainly inferred.

How much sense does it make to thank fans for their longterm patience by expecting more longterm patience?

Actually it makes a ton of sense here because fans here will support any Oiler club apparently.

PR talk. Which team said "don't expect playoffs, no chance" coming back from a lock out?

Who the hell even knows, if RNH/Hall/Eberle buried 2-3 gimmes, we would be sitting on top of the division right now despite every other thing you're complaining about.

Outside of the Flames and Sharks games, we've had a chance to basically win every game. And I don't mean in a cryptic "we were in it" type of way, I mean literally, in every game, down the stretch we've had 5 star opportunities to basically seal the deal.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Thanks again for your reply.
I didn't say that we don't have a number one center. I said we haven't had one for three years and Tamby's solution to that has been feed a nineteen year old kid to the wolves and don't even give him one competent veteran to play with.
I believe in RNH but again, he's a player we have on our team because of Tamby's ineptitude. Its hardly a feather in his cap.

Yes he has and again, I am a big fan of Schultz. But this is another player that has just fallen into Tamby's lap. Do you see the pattern here. Every decent player on the team was either already here before Tamby took charge, or is on the team as a result of Tamby's talent for building a last place team.

You're right. Keeping Hemsky was a solid decision. I neglected to mention it and thanks for pointing it out.

I see it differently. RNH in his rookie season wasn't given top line minutes. I agree that Tambellini has done a terrible job of bringing in veterans to help support this team but at the same time, RNH's growth defensively and on the faceoff circle comes with the help of Horcoff and Belanger.

I get what you are saying about Tambellini landing Schultz by luck but couldn't you say that about the Rangers? They landed Richards and Gaborik through free agency. Minnie landed Parise and Suter through free agency. Tambellini was also in no position to acquire a star player. We were rebuilding, that was obvious. We blew things up and started from scratch. Landing Hall and Nuge wasn't really luck. That team was built to tank. Landing Yakupov was luck because despite us knowing that the Oilers would be a bottom 5 team, we lucked out and won the lottery.

You also have to remember that Tambellini didn't have many assets to begin with. Lowe left him an awful team with no prospects. As for making big moves, he acquired Dany Heatley. Looking back at it, none of us would make that trade but at the time, it was a great move because Heatley was considered to be a top 5 winger. In hindsight, it's 20/20. I know it's one move but he has shown that he can make a big move. Again, If Tambi got fired, I wouldn't mind it but some of the hate is undeserved.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
PR talk. Which team said "don't expect playoffs, no chance" coming back from a lock out?

It makes me sick.

As per usual this org thanks its fans with another poor club, once again increased ticket prices, oh, and while you're at it you don't mind fronting all the money for a new arena as well.

Thank You fans!

:rant:

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
That's too bad. I'd like to hear your ideas.

I've given Tamby credit on this board in the past for the one decent move he's made per season (Cogliano trade, Jones waiver pickup, Staios trade, waiving Moreau and I think there's one more that isn't coming to me right now) but I guess I expect more than one decent move a season - particularly when his one decent move is cancelled out by the two bad moves he makes.

Not hardly. After all the years of Tamby hockey I expect to lose to Vancouver. I was much more upset with the loss to the Avs. But its gone way beyond any one loss.

And I'll say this ... any success this team has will be in spite of Tamby rather than because of him.
Say what you want about Lowe but he totally engineered the 2006 playoff drive with one great trade and the pickup of solid guys like Roloson, Samsonov and Peca who complimented what we already had.
We could win the SC this season and not a drop of the credit would go to Tamby imo.

Ok i'll try.
Let me say this i don't disagree i'm all for firing tambo. My issue is with some of the points you brought up, i don't like tambo because of his lack of action i do however like many of the trades he made.
Tom gilbert is playing well for the wild but schultz is playing very well for us he is probably our best defensive dman right now. Penner is playing so bad for the 14th place kings he didn't play much for them and thats because he is not playing well, i'm not sure why we are suddenly throwing klefbom under the bus he is still our most promising prospect at d i am pretty happy with both those trades, as for the UFA pickups yes many of them sucked but the organization was not in a position to a acquire a top end dman at the time unless you wanted tambo to trade Hall, the year we got foster this team was terrible we were and still are rebuilding thats why we were picking up crappy UFA's to fill holes.

you can't trade a star player to fill one hole only to creat a new hole, its a tough situation tambo would have been hammered if he traded somebody like Hall to get a dman or a big forward. You mention peckham, come on really, we didn't ruin peckham he is just a bad hockey player. You make our top line, which just about any team in the league would love to have, sound like a bunch of crappy rookies. Our 165 pound top center was put in a position to succeed and he did, did you want us to get someone else to play top line and throw nuge on the third line in his first year, yeah tambo put this team in a position to lose miserably for a few years but the idea was to let our top end young guys play big minutes and key situation so they can grow and lead this team moving forward.

I know where your coming from our chances of making the post season are slim and its embarrassing to miss the playoffs so many years in a row and it really feels like we're getting nowhere. Like i said though i'm all for firing tambo and anyone else because i like change.
You are right tambo could have done a bit more to help expedite the rebuild, tambo failed in that regard but the organization made the right moves by playing nuge petry and our other young guys as much as they did. Tambo never did anything special we are where we are regardless of his moves, i normally bash tambo thats why i'm having trouble defending him, i just feel some of your comments as mention above were a bit harsh and excessive.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Well, Tamby did what he was suppose to, and that's to filll the farm with prospects. Now, you need a guy to get the job done and finish the job. Time to hire Brian Burke.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It makes me sick.

As per usual this org thanks its fans with another poor club, once again increased ticket prices, oh, and while you're at it you don't mind fronting all the money for a new arena as well.

Thank You fans!

:rant:

The fact is it's not that easy to make the playoffs anymore because of the parity.

In the 90s it was actually easier to make the playoffs, because you had this dark cloud of huge salary teams at the top sucking up the major talent, and then a bunch of punching bags in the mid and bottom tier, so the Oilers could occassionally sneak in.

No longer the case. Barring a fluke season (look at Florida this year), making the playoffs is honestly a stupid promise to seriously make your fan base to begin with unless you are Vancouver, Pittsburgh, Boston, or a handful of other teams.

Minnesota signed Parise AND Suter, you can't even make bigger off season moves than that and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make it.

Honestly fans aren't entitled to ****. It's entertainment, watch it if you want, if you don't like it, go spend your entertainment dollars some where else, no one is forcing you to do anything. The Blackhawks missed the playoffs for like 8 straight years, the Kings couldn't win a Cup until their like 40th season and their fans have put up with awful teams for a good chunk of their existence.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
Well, Tamby did what he was suppose to, and that's to filll the farm with prospects. Now, you need a guy to get the job done and finish the job. Time to hire Brian Burke.

I'm honestly all for hiring Burke

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
The parity element in the NHL is the main reason why I'm angry and horrified by the results that we're getting. You can say that we've been in every game this year but outside of the second San Jose game (which we lost), the LA game and the first Vancouver game the Oil have looked completely outclassed 5vs5. Dubnyk and the PP/PK have covered up a tonne of deficiencies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Seems like a ready made scenario for him.

Tamby bows out, the Oilers select say Nikushkin with the 5/6 pick, getting a big no.2 center, he moves a piece like Gagner and/or Hemsky for more "toughness", acquires Francois Beaucheman or something, but really most of the work is already done.

He can sit back and snicker at his critics and stick his chest out for doubting him in Toronto.

I'm sure he'd love that.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You could certainly argue that he would be a fit in Edmonton.
Not sure its something I'd like to see, but really anyone has to be better than Tamby.
I wondered if MacT was being groomed for the next GM, or maybe that was just me?

And thanks for your thoughts above. Not sure we are on the same page with most of that, but I appreciate your viewpoint.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
You could certainly argue that he would be a fit in Edmonton.
Not sure its something I'd like to see, but really anyone has to be better than Tamby.
I wondered if MacT was being groomed for the next GM, or maybe that was just me?

And thanks for your thoughts above. Not sure we are on the same page with most of that, but I appreciate your viewpoint.

I thought this was pretty obvious.

Also, I've been wishing the oilers would gaspipe Tambicakes for years now. Absolutely atrocious as a GM, demonstrably one of the worst in the league currently. I mean for Christ's sake, he got his own coach's name wrong at the press conference where they announced his hiring. If that doesn't IMMEDIATELY paint him as a moron, I don't know what would.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
:laugh:

What is Tambellini supposed to do? Pull rabbits out of his ass?

We are in a playoff spot at this moment, and like I said in previous posts, his true test starts this season because now we will see what he does for a team that has a good amount of pieces to deal with to go to the next level. It takes time to address all of the holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad