Bye bye Tamby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah we really need a super soft d-pairing. Maybe we can bring back Pitkanen? Or Vishnovsky?

And Gilbert was a turnover machine. It's been mentioned here many times. There's a reason why he was so deep in the minus during his years here.

You'd rather have had Whitney over Vishnovsky?

ps the reason Gilbert was "so deep in the minus" was being on a last place club with horrible GA differential. His being a lot better than most teammates. Of course when you're playing 26mins/night on a sinking ship theres going to be some drowning. Is that on Gilbert or the ship he was on?

Theres one reason only people here don't like Gilbert. He wasn't physical enough for their liking. The same posters also hate Gagner and prefer players like Eager, Peckham, and Teubert. hmmm.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
No, they stick becasue they are accurate. Well, and because fans are dumb. But thats besides the point.

Gilbert was called Tammy becasue he played soft like a girl with us. That was a widespread complain from fans.

Penner was called pancakes because he has conditioning issues, continually underperformed (healthy scratch during his tenure on the Oilers and Kings) and said he hurt himself eating pancakes, which kind of ties the 2 together. We have seen what Penner could do when he started that one season on fire, but his lack of drive ends him in the press box instead.

Stortini embarrased himself trying to fight and instead was hugging and holding on for dear life. His hugging was even mocked by other NHLers.

Please explain which one of those nicknames are not accurate.

No no. Fans are DUMB. :sarcasm:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Gee I wonder how good Gilbert would be playing with the likes of J Schultz who is saving Nicks bacon.

You think he'd be any better than he was when he was an Oiler? There's no reason to believe he wouldn't be just as average as he always was. A plus B doesn't always equal C. "Look how well he's playing in Minnesota" isn't much of an argument against trading him away in the first place. 30 teams, all of them different.

I find it interesting that some of those who say Tambellini is spinning his wheels are those banging their heads against the wall over "losses" like Gilbert, Brodziak, Stoll and Glencross.

Not surprising, though.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You think he'd be any better than he was when he was an Oiler? There's no reason to believe he wouldn't be just as average as he always was. A plus B doesn't always equal C. "Look how well he's playing in Minnesota" isn't much of an argument against trading him away in the first place. 30 teams, all of them different.

I find it interesting that some of those who say Tambellini is spinning his wheels are those banging their heads against the wall over "losses" like Gilbert, Brodziak, Stoll and Glencross.

Not surprising, though.

On the subject of Brodziak he's got 1a and a -5.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I assume you mean this year. Over the course of his tenure you're not even scratching the surface of all the bad calls he's made.
Maybe, but as fans, we really have no idea about likely the majority of decisions he's made, good or bad.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
No, they stick becasue they are accurate. Well, and because fans are dumb. But thats besides the point.

Gilbert was called Tammy becasue he played soft like a girl with us. That was a widespread complain from fans.

Penner was called pancakes because he has conditioning issues, continually underperformed (healthy scratch during his tenure on the Oilers and Kings) and said he hurt himself eating pancakes, which kind of ties the 2 together. We have seen what Penner could do when he started that one season on fire, but his lack of drive ends him in the press box instead.

Stortini embarrased himself trying to fight and instead was hugging and holding on for dear life. His hugging was even mocked by other NHLers.

Please explain which one of those nicknames are not accurate.

Girls play 26mins/night at the highest level of a pro sport for 82GP and are ironmen? News to me.

The 4 yrs before "Tammy" was traded he'd played 4 complete seasons here and had only missed 3 games. He'd played ALL games 3 of those years.

I wonder what its like being an NHL D and playing through all bangs, hits, cuts, injuries and getting out there for every game and logging huge minutes.

Strange notions people have. you have an interesting definition of "soft" A guy playing the highest level of a dangerous team sport, and playing the hardest position in that sport is "soft'.

I wonder how many people calling Gilbert "soft" are better physical specimens.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Girls play 26mins/night at the highest level of a pro sport for 82GP and are ironmen? News to me.

The 4 yrs before "Tammy" was traded he'd played 4 complete seasons here and had only missed 3 games. He'd played ALL games 3 of those years.

I wonder what its like being an NHL D and playing through all bangs, hits, cuts, injuries and getting out there for every game and logging huge minutes.

Strange notions people have.

Jay_Bouwmeester_by_nazgul252.jpg

Hard to be injured when you play butter soft.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hard to be injured when you play butter soft.

Nobody " butter soft" ends up being a longtime Ironman NHL D. Sorry.

Gilbert played a smart game and that allowed him to log the huge minutes the team consistently gave him game after game, year after year, before ironically determining that the player they had given top toi to all those years was expendable..

only in dodge

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Nobody " butter soft" ends up being a longtime Ironman NHL D. Sorry.

Gilbert played a smart game and that allowed him to log the huge minutes the team consistently gave him game after game, year after year, before ironically determining that the player they had given top toi to all those years was expendable..

only in dodge
You guys are just arguing semantics.

Whether he was "soft" or not, he wasn't the least bit physical, which is what he's getting at.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
You'd rather have had Whitney over Vishnovsky?

ps the reason Gilbert was "so deep in the minus" was being on a last place club with horrible GA differential. His being a lot better than most teammates. Of course when you're playing 26mins/night on a sinking ship theres going to be some drowning. Is that on Gilbert or the ship he was on?.
Of course, now he's playing on a team that added 2 all-stars in the offseason. Is his point success so far this season on himself or on the talent he plays with / behind? He had 0 goals and 5 assists in 20 games with last years edition of the Wild.

Theres one reason only people here don't like Gilbert. He wasn't physical enough for their liking. The same posters also hate Gagner and prefer players like Eager, Peckham, and Teubert. hmmm.
Who says people dont like Gilbert? He played a soft offensive game on a team with small offensive players. We traded him for a defensive-minded player, which this team needed more. Pretty much everyone on both sides agreed it was a win-win trade.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Of course, now he's playing on a team that added 2 all-stars in the offseason. Is his point success so far this season on himself or on the talent he plays with / behind? He had 0 goals and 5 assists in 20 games with last years edition of the Wild.

Who says people dont like Gilbert? He played a soft offensive game on a team with small offensive players. We traded him for a defensive-minded player, which this team needed more. Pretty much everyone on both sides agreed it was a win-win trade.

I would have less problem with this deal if N Schultz looked even defensively adept. He's had a few struggles here and really off games. I do think anywhere but with J Schultz the GA would be revealing that even more.

Lummer Hummer

Nov 3, 2007
What did you all expect?

Fellas, it's an absolute certainty that every one of us could've done the job of Tambellini these last years - DFL, DFL & 2nd DFL is 100% attainable for us all. The true measure of an effective GM in any sport lies beyond the "sure" thing, ie. the first overall picks. Things like a couple of solid veterans that can pick up the slack when the young kids are struggling, or a dependable stay-at-home defenceman. By this measure, our GM has failed miserably.

One more thing to add: right now, we're depending on the kids to lead us to the promised land, but they're struggling for the most part. Know why? Because sometimes they stop getting better, & never reach that level to which they were projected. The problem with the Oilers, & management in particular, is that their entire plan lies with these kids because they've neglected every other part of what goes into building a solid team. What happens when/if the kids regress like Cogliano, MPS, etc. did? Is the plan to suck for another 3 years? It's already been 20 years & counting....

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site

Strange notions people have. you have an interesting definition of "soft" A guy playing the highest level of a dangerous team sport, and playing the hardest position in that sport is "soft'.

I wonder how many people calling Gilbert "soft" are better physical specimens.
I used to call Gilbert Bowmeester-lite. Both rarely get injured, both are offensive, both are steady, both shy away from physicality, both have a better chance of clearing snow from in front of the net than they do clearing a player from in front of the net. Bowmeester gets criticized here in Calgary non-stop for his soft play, even though it keeps him healthy and in the lineup.

Gilbert was considered soft with us becasue he played in a dangerous team sport in the hardest position, but played it softer than any regular defenseman I've seen in a long time. If you didnt see that, well, I guess you didnt see what most others did. I'd say thats more due to a preconceived notion than everyone else being wrong.

As for people not liking Gagner, I didnt see many calling him soft. They called him small, like Samwise the hobbit. Which is true. He is small like a hobbit. But hobbits are pretty tough. I dont recall anyone calling him Samantha.

Whats with you guys comparing us to NHL players?

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
I would have less problem with this deal if N Schultz looked even defensively adept. He's had a few struggles here and really off games. I do think anywhere but with J Schultz the GA would be revealing that even more.
Nicks been fine. Justin cheats, which makes Nicks defensive game tougher. But they've both been pretty good on an overall bad defensive team. Gilbert wouldnt make this team better defensively, which is our biggest weak spot.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I used to call Gilbert Bowmeester-lite. Both rarely get injured, both are offensive, both are steady, both shy away from physicality, both have a better chance of clearing snow from in front of the net than they do clearing a player from in front of the net. Bowmeester gets criticized here in Calgary non-stop for his soft play, even though it keeps him healthy and in the lineup.

Gilbert was considered soft with us becasue he played in a dangerous team sport in the hardest position, but played it softer than any regular defenseman I've seen in a long time. If you didnt see that, well, I guess you didnt see what most others did. I'd say thats more due to a preconceived notion than everyone else being wrong.

As for people not liking Gagner, I didnt see many calling him soft. They called him small, like Samwise the hobbit. Which is true. He is small like a hobbit. But hobbits are pretty tough. I dont recall anyone calling him Samantha.

Bottom line, the team needed a defensive minded defenceman. And Minny needed something more of a puckmover. Both teams got what they wanted and I doubt either wants a re-do on the deal. Schultz's career has been as a low event, smart defender, who nearly always makes the good safe play. The Oilers needed a player like this badly after the various Chinese firedrills in their own end the last few years. Gilbert definitely brings more offence, but unfortunately made too many gaffes on a team that was full of them. Some people on here need to let this go.:shakehead

As for Gagner, his correct nickname is Sammy Snowpants, or SS as he is affectionately called by the legions. Mostly because he was spending an inordinate amount of time on his arse after getting bumped or falling down on his own, and thus the hockey pants looking like..you guessed it.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
As for Gagner, his correct nickname is Sammy Snowpants, or SS as he is affectionately called by the legions. Mostly because he was spending an inordinate amount of time on his arse after getting bumped or falling down on his own, and thus the hockey pants looking like..you guessed it.

Ah, I've heard the Samwise the hobbit as well, but nether nick seem to indicate softness. Getting knocked on your ass means youre still in the fray, but just not big enough to stay up. Like Gilbert, never getting his pants dirty.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ah, I've heard the Samwise the hobbit as well, but nether nick seem to indicate softness. Getting knocked on your ass means youre still in the fray, but just not big enough to stay up. Like Gilbert, never getting his pants dirty.

Exactumon. Thus....Snowpants.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Sammy snowpants. which was a clear inference that anytime he's touched he goes flying on his butt. you can determine whether that is selective bias or accurate. Not sure why you give such creedence to random derogatory names on a messageboard instead of the obvious conclusion that for those doing it theres an axe to grind. Which is usually what name calling is all about right?

I never thought Gilbert was as soft as people here suggest. But then again I detest the type of D like Peckham that goes running around for hits. A lot of people here apparently wouldn't have liked Paul Coffey who was no more physical a player than Gilbert. Coffey stature wise being small compared to Gilbert as well.

Myself a good D is somebody that adroitly moves the puck around and has confidence making plays out of the zone.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
And thanks for your thoughts above. Not sure we are on the same page with most of that, but I appreciate your viewpoint.

My pleasure!
You know, i don't think we are as far apart here as you may think. We have a common goal, we want to see our team succeed. And we both would like to see a new GM. What i was trying to say over three paragraphs was that i thought, your criticism was a bit to harsh.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Sammy snowpants. which was a clear inference that anytime he's touched he goes flying on his butt. you can determine whether that is selective bias or accurate. Not sure why you give such creedence to random derogatory names on a messageboard instead of the obvious conclusion that for those doing it theres an axe to grind. Which is usually what name calling is all about right?
Yeah snowpants is pretty accurate, although it may be a better moniker for Hall. Neither are very strong on their skates.

Derogatory names seem to me to be more about frustration or dissapointment than grinding axes. Do you think Oiler fans were happy calling Stortini huggy-bear? Do you think Oiler fans were happy calling Gilbert soft?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
So has this turned into the "gripe about players you don't like thread"?

Good!

Omark is still property of the Oilers right?

Good!

What a useless tit that guy is. He doesn't belong in this organization and I hope he is traded for the bag of pucks that he is worth.

Soft wannabe who refuses direction from coaches and plays by his own rules.

Stay in the Swiss Alps Linus.

And don't forget your blankey. Maybe use some Vaseline on that chafed thumb that you've been sucking as well.

There!

How'd I do guys?

Can I join the club?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
People bring up the silliest things.

Stoll, Brodiak, Glencross? That is pre-rebuild ancient history. Might as well complain about Pouliot/Parise or Kelly/Doan for all the relevance it has to this team anymore.

And Tom Gilbert? The medicore, mistake-prone, offensive defenseman who put up no offense, and was useless on the powerplay? We hear about how everyone rips players when they get sent out of town, but I would say an equal number of people put on the rose colored glasses and forget what players were like just as quickly.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
1) That was Kevin Lowe. If you're going to harp on this at least get your facts straight. Tambellini had NOTHING to do with Glencross.
2) Shrug. He was no great shakes.
3) The Phaneuf trade?
4) So with Biron we're an immensely better team?
5) What?
6) You don't think Ryan Suter has anything to do with that?
7) And after we wanted MacT gone... And shouldn't it be 4 in 5?
8) Who gives a **** about Souray? Nobody does.
9) We need Cogliano back! ...Right?
10) Holy crap, really? What insight!

Thanks GreatKeith .... your insight is about as good as Tambo's ...

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
I never thought Gilbert was as soft as people here suggest. But then again I detest the type of D like Peckham that goes running around for hits.

Well there you go. If you detest that type of player, that would explain why you overlook the soft play of others.

But whatever. You didnt see him as soft. Many others did. Hence the nickname. How-many other Oiler players were given a soft nickname? Its not like its something that Oiler fans do to all players that dont play it like Peckham.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah snowpants is pretty accurate, although it may be a better moniker for Hall. Neither are very strong on their skates.

Derogatory names seem to me to be more about frustration or dissapointment than grinding axes. Do you think Oiler fans were happy calling Stortini huggy-bear? Do you think Oiler fans were happy calling Gilbert soft?

My take on the Samwise digs is its mostly trolling. Theres a few posters here that do it selectively and with most of their posts being about Sam. Most people here recognize it clear as day.

Other than that I think people just prefer a certain type of player. But you missed my point. anybody thinking Gilbert wasn't physical enough would've thought Paul Coffey wasn't physical enough. Or REijo Ruotsalainen (spellling surrender..) Being a longtime viewer of hockey and having seen decades of D I'm much more comfortable with guys that are more cerebral, and less physical players. I don't see it as the same problem. Especially with rule changes in the game, interference calls, holding, obstruction calls, etc.
Gilberts game was fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->