Bye bye Tamby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I love Yak but the same player that made two bunts that were hilite reel plays off deflections has missed several direct feeds and pucks that were perfectly placed on his stick.

Wait... Soundwave brought this up earlier. What would the results in those games have been had he buried those chances?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Being a GM is incredibly easy when you're a fan. You can't go wrong.

In GMLandâ„¢ you only have to push the red button and everything's fixed. Why can't Tambellini be more like that?

:laugh: Exactly

Arm Chair GMs SEEM to have all the answers, and can only comment on hindsight.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Honestly Tamby's been pretty good so far. He hasn't made any stupid Burke type deals that have screwed our future over, and while people criticize him for not making any big splashes, I'd rather him sit around at his desk doing nothing than trade RNH and Yakupov for Kessel or something. Plus I'd consider the Justin Schultz a "big enough splash" for the rest of the season. Honestly, the only bad calls he's made so far are overpaying Hemsky and signing Smyth not not just one, but 2 years.:facepalm:

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Holy crap, I'm in an alternate universe of logic here.

You think those bunts are probable plays off deflections? They were amazing goals because he somehow knocked deflections out of thin air. The same player is completely whiffing on several one timers.
Yakupov, like any skilled player, is going to have ones that go perfectly right, and a lot of improbable strikes that don't work.

People need to consider here that the two plays are improbable, regardless of Yaks talent.

just because you cant do it doesn't mean the its impossible, its called hand eye coordination. Lidstrom had an uncanny ability to knock pucks out of the air.

oh and if you care to remember, Mark stone commented at the world juniors that he would practice batting pucks out of the air, when his normal practices were over. TSN showed a video of the drill.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
just because you cant do it doesn't mean the its impossible, its called hand eye coordination. Lidstrom had an uncanny ability to knock pucks out of the air.

oh and if you care to remember, Mark stone commented at the world juniors that he would practice batting pucks out of the air, when his normal practices were over. TSN showed a video of the drill.

Its improbable, I never stated impossible, please try to discern the difference.

Have you even thought that the deflection arc perfectly falling to where Yak is, right open, right to the side of the net, and in a position where the goalie is potentially beat, is already luck?

I'm sure you haven't even thought of that. Remember these were deflections, which could've gone anywhere inconsequential, they weren't passes.

Btw I'm aware of players that practice deflection skill, I'm a big fan of Ryan Smyth. But he practices deflections off of targeted shot/passes, he's not trying to deflect off of a deflection. Try doing that sometime..It starts sounding like the Gretzky commercial banking shots off the scoreboard and several objects and in..

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Like we've discussed at length, that line didn't work last year and it doesn't work now. Maybe once Nugent-Hopkins matures a little bit it'll have the potential to be one of the best lines in the league but right now the Oilers are trying to force something that just isn't there.

So what's the solution? Put Hall, Gagner and Hemsky back together to face the toughest match-ups and have a Eberle, Hopkins and Yak line play ultra soft competition and mostly O-zone starts? Then everyone will scream Ralph is destroying their confidence and development.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Its improbable, I never stated impossible, please try to discern the difference.

Have you even thought that the deflection arc perfectly falling to where Yak is, right open, right to the side of the net, and in a position where the goalie is potentially beat, is already luck?

I'm sure you haven't even thought of that. Remember these were deflections, which could've gone anywhere inconsequential, they weren't passes.

Btw I'm aware of players that practice deflection skill, I'm a big fan of Ryan Smyth. But he practices deflections off of targeted shot/passes, he's not trying to deflect off of a deflection. Try doing that sometime..It starts sounding like the Gretzky commercial banking shots off the scoreboard and several objects and in..

You can say that about the vast majority of goals scored in the NHL. Puck luck is always a component.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
If anything this should tell you how much puck luck we've had. Ever try bunting a puck home with a hockey stick? Get back to me when you do. It takes years for people to learn this skill with a baseball bat. Even a that they're not bunting into a small cage all they have to do is get the ball in play. Anywhere in play.

I love Yak but the same player that made two bunts that were hilite reel plays off deflections has missed several direct feeds and pucks that were perfectly placed on his stick.

The so-called bunt against the Coyotes was off of the blade of the stick which has a bigger surface area than a baseball bat. Anyone who's played hockey even on an outdoor rink has tried juggling the puck off of their blade and seeing how many times they can hit it before they miss. It's not hard for people that aren't in the NHL to hit the puck 5-10 times consecutively without difficulty. That's a routine play for a pro hockey player known for his hands and coordination. If Yakupov misses the puck on those plays the puck lands right in front of him and there's still a chance he puts it in the open net before a defender pokes it away.

And if we're talking about luck I think that if we're qualifying Yakupov's goal against LA as lucky we can say that Nuge's goal getting waved off because of "goalie interference" equally unlucky.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You can say that about the vast majority of goals scored in the NHL. Puck luck is always a component.

No, I can say that about all goals off deflections that magically drop right to a player in the perfect spot for them to be wide open, staring at open net, where they can attempt to magically bunt a deflection in.

These are deflections people, the same careening pucks that goalies have ALL KINDS of trouble grabbing with their big CATCHER GLOVE. Yak bunted one of these with a one inch hockey shaft. A little luck, yes.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
No, I can say that about all goals off deflections that magically drop right to a player in the perfect spot for them to be wide open, staring at open net, where they can attempt to magically bunt a deflection in.

These are deflections people, the same careening pucks that goalies have ALL KINDS of trouble grabbing with their big CATCHER GLOVE. Yak bunted one of these with a one inch hockey shaft. A little luck, yes.

No more luck than many other goals scored in the NHL. Stop beating this drum, it's absurd.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I don't think he needs to be fired now.

But I do think he's relatively useless as a GM. What I'm happy with is that MacT, one of the best hockey minds in the business, is back in a management capacity with the club. I trust his judgment and intelligence immensely.

The Oilers are a very young team with some key injuries, so they'll have ups and downs. There's nothing specific about Tambo that makes him deserving of getting the can right now. Today. Though I've been saying for years that he's the wrong guy for the job.

If the Oilers don't finish better than 25th in the league this year though, he SHOULD get fired.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
In regards to the nicknames, they are earned because they are accurate. They wouldn’t stick if they weren’t. That’s the whole point of nicknames.

No, they stick because some hockey fans are dumb.

Its probably the same ones who yell "shoot" at the powerplay.

Do you honestly think "Pancakes" means Dustin Penner is fat? Do yo think you're in better shape than Penner?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
No more luck than many other goals scored in the NHL. Stop beating this drum, it's absurd.

WEll lets see, a perfect tape to tape pass and perfect shot goal is as lucky as a bunt off of a random deflection that could be flying anywhere. Gotcha.

Glad I understand physics now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Do you honestly think "Pancakes" means Dustin Penner is fat? Do yo think you're in better shape than Penner?

Thank you.

Apparently it needed to be stated.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The so-called bunt against the Coyotes was off of the blade of the stick which has a bigger surface area than a baseball bat. Anyone who's played hockey even on an outdoor rink has tried juggling the puck off of their blade and seeing how many times they can hit it before they miss. It's not hard for people that aren't in the NHL to hit the puck 5-10 times consecutively without difficulty. That's a routine play for a pro hockey player known for his hands and coordination. If Yakupov misses the puck on those plays the puck lands right in front of him and there's still a chance he puts it in the open net before a defender pokes it away.

And if we're talking about luck I think that if we're qualifying Yakupov's goal against LA as lucky we can say that Nuge's goal getting waved off because of "goalie interference" equally unlucky.

Nuges goal that got waved off I already covered. This was an intelligent play by Quick to discretely grab Gagners leg after the collision and make sure of the interference being noted. It wasn't bad luck as much as savvy quick thinking by a veteran goalie. Did he milk the call. Sure he did. A smart play.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
:laugh: Exactly

Arm Chair GMs SEEM to have all the answers, and can only comment on hindsight.

Yeah, only in hindsight could one see that:

1) Glencross would be the perfect physical winger with a goal scorers touch,
2) Brodziak would be the perfect big, faceoff winning center,
3) Cole for POS would be the worst trade made in the entire NHL over the course of 2-3 years,
4) A washed up, aging, Nikolai Khabibulin couldn't turn things around and earn a 4-year contract at 4 million per; when every other UFA goalie signed that year (a much younger and Martin Biron for example) was signed at half the amount;
5) Due Dilegence is a waste of time, especially when you have fish like Heatly, Riley Nash, or Ryan Whitney on the hook;
6) Gilbert would a point getting, minute eating muncher, used in every situation in Minnesota;
7) Four coaches in four years would become a theme of the Oilers;
8) Souray would be such a baby over his injuries ..... the drama;
9) Éric Bélanger isn't a bigger better version of Brodziak or maybe even Andrew Cogliano;
10) Darcy Hordichuk can't score 40 goals a year.

Geez, I know the arguement allready, all these wonderful moves netted us 3 - 1sts ... and all those other picks we wasted.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, only in hindsight could one see that:

1) Glencross would be the perfect physical winger with a goal scorers touch,
2) Brodziak would be the perfect big, faceoff winning center,
3) Cole for POS would be the worst trade made in the entire NHL over the course of 2-3 years,
4) A washed up, aging, Nikolai Khabibulin couldn't turn things around and earn a 4-year contract at 4 million per; when every other UFA goalie signed that year (a much younger and Martin Biron for example) was signed at half the amount;
5) Due Dilegence is a waste of time, especially when you have fish like Heatly, Riley Nash, or Ryan Whitney on the hook;
6) Gilbert would a point getting, minute eating muncher, used in every situation in Minnesota;
7) Four coaches in four years would become a theme of the Oilers;
8) Souray would be such a baby over his injuries ..... the drama;
9) Éric Bélanger isn't a bigger better version of Brodziak or maybe even Andrew Cogliano;
10) Darcy Hordichuk can't score 40 goals a year.

Geez, I know the arguement allready, all these wonderful moves netted us 3 - 1sts ... and all those other picks we wasted.

1) That was Kevin Lowe. If you're going to harp on this at least get your facts straight. Tambellini had NOTHING to do with Glencross.
2) Shrug. He was no great shakes.
3) The Phaneuf trade?
4) So with Biron we're an immensely better team?
5) What?
6) You don't think Ryan Suter has anything to do with that?
7) And after we wanted MacT gone... And shouldn't it be 4 in 5?
8) Who gives a **** about Souray? Nobody does.
9) We need Cogliano back! ...Right?
10) Holy crap, really? What insight!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
1) That was Kevin Lowe. If you're going to harp on this at least get your facts straight. Tambellini had NOTHING to do with Glencross.
2) Shrug. He was no great shakes.
3) The Phaneuf trade?
4) So with Biron we're an immensely better team?
5) What?
6) You don't think Ryan Suter has anything to do with that?
7) And after we wanted MacT gone... And shouldn't it be 4 in 5?
8) Who gives a **** about Souray? Nobody does.
9) We need Cogliano back! ...Right?
10) Holy crap, really? What insight!

Ryan Suter is -7 and isn't playing with Gilbert.

oh snap

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Okay, Gilbert's still a minus 1. Same as your favourite whipping boy Nick Schultz. I guess we really miss him, right?

Gilbert has knocked in 2G and has 4Assists. The guy we got has nothing at all and maybe the same defensive prowess. REally enjoyed seeing Nick turn the puck over at the blueline for a GA, or the two times he's been behind the net on a GA.

Gee I wonder how good Gilbert would be playing with the likes of J Schultz who is saving Nicks bacon.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Honestly Tamby's been pretty good so far. He hasn't made any stupid Burke type deals that have screwed our future over, and while people criticize him for not making any big splashes, I'd rather him sit around at his desk doing nothing than trade RNH and Yakupov for Kessel or something. Plus I'd consider the Justin Schultz a "big enough splash" for the rest of the season. Honestly, the only bad calls he's made so far are overpaying Hemsky and signing Smyth not not just one, but 2 years.:facepalm:
I assume you mean this year. Over the course of his tenure you're not even scratching the surface of all the bad calls he's made.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Gilbert has knocked in 2G and has 4Assists. The guy we got has nothing at all and maybe the same defensive prowess. REally enjoyed seeing Nick turn the puck over at the blueline for a GA, or the two times he's been behind the net on a GA.

Gee I wonder how good Gilbert would be playing with the likes of J Schultz who is saving Nicks bacon.

Yeah we really need a super soft d-pairing. Maybe we can bring back Pitkanen? Or Vishnovsky?

And Gilbert was a turnover machine. It's been mentioned here many times. There's a reason why he was so deep in the minus during his years here.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site

No, they stick becasue they are accurate. Well, and because fans are dumb. But thats besides the point.

Gilbert was called Tammy becasue he played soft like a girl with us. That was a widespread complaint from fans.

Penner was called pancakes because he has conditioning issues, continually underperformed (healthy scratch during his tenure on the Oilers and Kings) and said he hurt himself eating pancakes, which kind of ties the 2 together. We have seen what Penner could do when he started that one season on fire, but his lack of drive ends him in the press box instead.

Stortini embarrased himself trying to fight and instead was hugging and holding on for dear life. His hugging was even mocked by other NHLers.

Please explain which one of those nicknames are not accurate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->