Bye bye Tamby

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Seriously, how does Mr Tambellini still have a job.

The responsibility of a GM is to produce a roster that gives the coaching staff an opportunity to create a lineup that can go out and play the game of hockey without embarrassing the city, the franchise and all of its fans for five years running. By any metric one cares to look at Tamby has failed miserably at doing that job.
Every year its the same thing. All the media (except Stauffer) can see the gaping holes in the roster, all the fans on this site can see them - one has to assume that Tamby must be able to see them as well. Yet unbelievably year after year he keeps depending on miracles to occur.

No first line center for three years? Never mind, one of these years Horcoff will return to form he hasn't shown for five years. And if that doesn't work out we'll ask a nineteen year old 165 lbs kid to handle the job - and we'll give him other kids so young they can't shave for linemates to ensure their successful development and the future glory of the franchise. Did I mention that the only reason I have any of those players is because I assembled a last place team three years running?

No defencemen who can actually play defense? No problem we'll lock our MVP candidate defenceman out of training camp, pay him to go away, then crush the confidence of a promising rookie Peckham by asking him to play way over his head, give Strudwick more minutes and sign Foster - its all good. Wait, that didn't work? OK, lets try Barker and this time we'll depend on rookie Petry to immediately acclimatize to the NHL game and start playing 20+ minutes a night.

Shocked that even that wizardly GMing has failed to accomplish the job, Tamby then decides to trade one of the best d-men we have for a guy you could probably get for half the price or maybe even, I dunno, scouted, pursued and signed as a free agent. And he's now depending on another rookie (one he acquired through dumb luck alone) to play twenty five minutes a night backed up by Petry who's still learning. Of course guys like Potter and Whitney are still mainstays of our d-core as well ..... months and months after everyone on the planet has identified their inability to play the game at the NHL level.

No size on the roster? Leave it to Tamby to trade away the big, good at faceoffs, third line center the team has spent several seasons developing .... for used magic beans. As if to make the team even smaller he will then trade away by far our biggest forward (the only guy on the team who can single-handedly maintain puck possession in the o-zone) and team leader in goals for slightly better magic beans. We don't need him cause Tamby has lined up SC winner and towering physical presence Colin Fraser. Oh and he's going have another guy with a willing heart (even if his body can't do the job anymore) thanks to Smyth's decision to trade himself home.

Been years since you've seen competent NHL goaltending? Relax. Tamby has a plan to sign an old man with an history of injuries to a long term deal and a run with a player who can't yet stop an NHL slapshot to back him up. If it takes the kid three years to get his game in order that's OK cause we aren't ever going to actually make him compete for his starts or have another viable option waiting in the pipeline.

And the coaches Tamby has brought us? C'mon, its been a disgrace. Line blending, coaching not to lose milquetoast hockey. How is it that the same mistakes keep being made game after game? How is it that we can't teach anyone to win a faceoff? How is it that we are still trying to skate through guys like Bieksa and Edler to gain the o-zone? It does seem like someone has been working with Dubnyk because he has improved in several areas, but beyond that I see a team that is just praying that the miracle of talent will somehow teach itself how to win and everything will be OK. Where is the teaching, the improvement in the basic fundamentals?

Its just a terrible track record of incompetence. Tamby needs to be fired. Now.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
WesternStandings_zpsfdedebdc.jpg

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to post this when we're in 13th or 14th?

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
I disagree with so many parts of this i'm not even going to go through it. Your overreacting to tonights heartbreaking loss.
I will say this, remember that 20% of the season is now gone and we are sitting in a playoff spot, yes i'd be all for firing tambo but its not going to happen.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

The responsibility of a GM is to produce a roster that gives the coaching staff an opportunity to create a lineup that can go out and play the game of hockey without embarrassing the city, the franchise and all of its fans for five years running. By any metric one cares to look at Tamby has failed miserably at doing that job.
Every year its the same thing. All the media (except Stauffer) can see the gaping holes in the roster, all the fans on this site can see them - one has to assume that Tamby must be able to see them as well. Yet unbelievably year after year he keeps depending on miracles to occur.

No first line center for three years? Never mind, one of these years Horcoff will return to form he hasn't shown for five years. And if that doesn't work out we'll ask a nineteen year old 165 lbs kid to handle the job - and we'll give him other kids so young they can't shave for linemates to ensure their successful development and the future glory of the franchise. Did I mention that the only reason I have any of those players is because I assembled a last place team three years running?

No defencemen who can actually play defense? No problem we'll lock our MVP candidate defenceman out of training camp, pay him to go away, then crush the confidence of a promising rookie Peckham by asking him to play way over his head, give Strudwick more minutes and sign Foster - its all good. Wait, that didn't work? OK, lets try Barker and this time we'll depend on rookie Petry to immediately acclimatize to the NHL game and start playing 20+ minutes a night.

Shocked that even that wizardly GMing has failed to accomplish the job, Tamby then decides to trade one of the best d-men we have for a guy you could probably get for half the price or maybe even, I dunno, scouted, pursued and signed as a free agent. And he's now depending on another rookie (one he acquired through dumb luck alone) to play twenty five minutes a night backed up by Petry who's still learning. Of course guys like Potter and Whitney are still mainstays of our d-core as well ..... months and months after everyone on the planet has identified their inability to play the game at the NHL level.

No size on the roster? Leave it to Tamby to trade away the big, good at faceoffs, third line center the team has spent several seasons developing .... for used magic beans. As if to make the team even smaller he will then trade away by far our biggest forward (the only guy on the team who can single-handedly maintain puck possession in the o-zone) and team leader in goals for slightly better magic beans. We don't need him cause Tamby has lined up SC winner and towering physical presence Colin Fraser. Oh and he's going have another guy with a willing heart (even if his body can't do the job anymore) thanks to Smyth's decision to trade himself home.

Been years since you've seen competent NHL goaltending? Relax. Tamby has a plan to sign an old man with an history of injuries to a long term deal and a run with a player who can't yet stop an NHL slapshot to back him up. If it takes the kid three years to get his game in order that's OK cause we aren't ever going to actually make him compete for his starts or have another viable option waiting in the pipeline.

And the coaches Tamby has brought us? C'mon, its been a disgrace. Line blending, coaching not to lose milquetoast hockey. How is it that the same mistakes keep being made game after game? How is it that we can't teach anyone to win a faceoff? How is it that we are still trying to skate through guys like Bieksa and Edler to gain the o-zone? It does seem like someone has been working with Dubnyk because he has improved in several areas, but beyond that I see a team that is just praying that the miracle of talent will somehow teach itself how to win and everything will be OK. Where is the teaching, the improvement in the basic fundamentals?

Its shocking that people think the club should tank one more year. Is this building a hockey club or a Leninist 5 year centralized plan?

Yeah, Gilbert would look good right about now. We didn't need him though, I remember most people on the board stating that.

Penner deals not looking so great either. Teubert is an idiot as I detected, Klefbom might never play an NHL game, and typical recruits like Barker, Eager, Hordi, are the typical collection of retreads that no valid org should currently want.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010

Why didn't you post this after Edmonton's last win? too busy celebrating?

Enough of these ridiculous over the top reactionary threads. :shakehead

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its shocking that people think the club should tank one more year. Is this building a hockey club or a Leninist 5 year centralized plan?

Yeah, Gilbert would look good right about now. We didn't need him though, I remember most people on the board stating that.

Penner deals not looking so great either. Teubert is an idiot as I detected, Klefbom might never play an NHL game, and typical recruits like Barker, Eager, Hordi, are the typical collection of retreads that no valid org should currently want.

Yeah Gilbert's doing a great job! Wait, Minnesota's below us currently... And the Kings are in 14th you say? Penner has played all of three games this year and we have Klefbom in the system now.

You really need to let go of your boner for Gilbert.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I wish.

Regardless where you stand on this re-build, GM's who are there at the beginning of the scorched earth policy are never around when it ultimately bears fruit.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I don't see our record being any different with Gilbert over Schultz, from all accounts Nick Schultz is a good teacher too (according to Brent Burns anyway).

Writing Klefbom off already? :laugh:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Well, outside the terrible timing of this post as others have pointed out, entire rant goes off the rails in the first paragraph when "all the media except Stauffer" can see the holes in the roster.

The same ones that all predicted the Oilers would make the playoffs, and be one of the most exciting teams in the NHL :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah Gilbert's doing a great job! Wait, Minnesota's below us currently... And the Kings are in 14th you say? Penner has played all of three games this year and we have Klefbom in the system now.

You really need to let go of your boner for Gilbert.

Nothing could be clearer than we outright lost that trade and a valuable player. Gilberts continued to play 26mins many nights and has been expectedly great for the wild.

"Minnesota below us" Wow what specious reasoning. 1pt, one less 3pt game point at that. Care to guess how good they blow us up when we face them?

Kevotron

Jan 24, 2008
Edmonton
Every GM makes bad moves, Garth Snow still has a job... Burke just lost his very recently despite trading away Hamilton and Seguin for Kessel
Tambo brought in Nick Schultz a stay at home D which we really need, Fistric for nothing, signed Hall and Ebs to long term contracts, lured Justin Schultz
Tambo making these moves will solidify the core of the team for 5+ years, where as those negatives you mentioned would make the team slightly better for a year or 2....
I may be the minority but I actually think Tambo is doing a pretty good job.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Wow. While I agree that Tambo isn't the greatest GM, your post is just horrible. First of all, that number 1 center spot belongs to Nuge who has shown that he is capable of it, even if he isn't playing up to the level that we know he can. At the same time, he has grown a lot defensively. Theo Peckham...promising rookie? what? :facepalm: Justin Schultz is earning those minutes and that's completely on the coach, you do know that, right? And how can you blame coaching already? First of all, We aren't even 10 games into the season yet and secondly, we're second in our division (Canucks are first, not a surprise) and 6th in the conference. I know it's early but you cant blame coaching already. In fact, most people here would agree that Krueger has been doing a pretty good job. The reason why we tied and eventually won the LA game? Because Krueger put out Belanger to win the faceoff. IMO, Krueger has been doing a fine job so far and it's way too early to point fingers at him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't see our record being any different with Gilbert over Schultz, from all accounts Nick Schultz is a good teacher too (according to Brent Burns anyway).

Writing Klefbom off already? :laugh:

What do you think it does to a young players development to miss this much hockey. Developmentally speaking he's being left behind. The trouble is trading live bodies for prospects is theres great risk that nothing will ever come of it.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nothing could be clearer than we outright lost that trade and a valuable player. Gilberts continued to play 26mins many nights and has been expectedly great for the wild.

"Minnesota below us" Wow what specious reasoning. 1pt, one less 3pt game point at that. Care to guess how good they blow us up when we face them?

Except the Wild have scored one less goal and given up the same amount we have.... We sure lost that trade, boy howdy! :laugh:

Minnesota also had the benefit of playing the Jackets and has had a lighter schedule than us so far. Yet they have more regulation losses than we do.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
lol I'd be happy if Lowe and friends got canned but OP is a little ridiculous.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The funny thing is despite everything people say, I think *everyone* on this board will readily admit, the top line of RNH-Eberle-Hall in conjunction with Schultz probably should have 3-4 more goals *easily* this year.

They've just had some wonky puck luck or been missing shots they normally make.

That's the difference between us having 10 points versus say 12 or even (gulp) 14.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Wow. While I agree that Tambo isn't the greatest GM, your post is just horrible. First of all, that number 1 center spot belongs to Nuge who has shown that he is capable of it, even if he isn't playing up to the level that we know he can. At the same time, he has grown a lot defensively. Theo Peckham...promising rookie? what? :facepalm: Justin Schultz is earning those minutes and that's completely on the coach, you do know that, right? And how can you blame coaching already? First of all, We aren't even 10 games into the season yet and secondly, we're second in our division (Canucks are first, not a surprise) and 6th in conference. I know it's early but you cant blame coaching already. In fact, most people here would agree that Krueger has been doing a pretty good job. The reason why we tied and eventually won the LA game? Because Krueger put out Belanger to win the faceoff. IMO, Krueger has been doing a fine job so far and it's way too early to point fingers at him.

WE have one regulation time win in nine games. 3pt games and results have a way of positively skewing what has actually been a **** show.

Don't let the fortune of winning 3 non regulation time games make you think this team is being competitive this year.

We had every advantage this year and the majority of our lineup playing hockey somewhere and a full first unit playing TOGETHER in OKC.

The first 10 games is when we were supposed to be making noise.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I disagree with so many parts of this i'm not even going to go through it.
That's too bad. I'd like to hear your ideas.

I've given Tamby credit on this board in the past for the one decent move he's made per season (Cogliano trade, Jones waiver pickup, Staios trade, waiving Moreau and I think there's one more that isn't coming to me right now) but I guess I expect more than one decent move a season - particularly when his one decent move is cancelled out by the two bad moves he makes.

Your overreacting to tonights heartbreaking loss.
Not hardly. After all the years of Tamby hockey I expect to lose to Vancouver. I was much more upset with the loss to the Avs. But its gone way beyond any one loss.

I will say this, remember that 20% of the season is now gone and we are sitting in a playoff spot, yes i'd be all for firing tambo but its not going to happen.
And I'll say this ... any success this team has will be in spite of Tamby rather than because of him.
Say what you want about Lowe but he totally engineered the 2006 playoff drive with one great trade and the pickup of solid guys like Roloson, Samsonov and Peca who complimented what we already had.
We could win the SC this season and not a drop of the credit would go to Tamby imo.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Except the Wild have scored one less goal and given up the same amount we have.... We sure lost that trade, boy howdy! :laugh:

Minnesota also had the benefit of playing the Jackets and has had a lighter schedule than us so far. Yet they have more regulation losses than we do.

So when I state Gilbert>N Schultz to you your rebuttal is about the teams records thus far?:help:

How about you look at the actual players performance?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
WE have one regulation time win in nine games. 3pt games and results have a way of positively skewing what has actually been a **** show.

Don't let the fortune of winning 3 non regulation time games make you think this team is being competitive this year.

We had every advantage this year and the majority of our lineup playing hockey somewhere and a full first unit playing TOGETHER in OKC.

Why aren't we in last place then? The first line isn't even converting on anything. We're really not even utilizing Yakupov much either.

Dubnyk has been good, but no savior, there's been no games this year where we've won that I've thought "man we had zero business winning that hockey game, Duby just stole it". He's let in multiple soft goals despite being solid for long stretches.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I disagree with so many parts of this i'm not even going to go through it. Your overreacting to tonights heartbreaking loss.

4 of the clubs behind us have played less games than us. We're 1 pt from 11th place. We're headed in that direction.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So when I state Gilbert>N Schultz to you your rebuttal is about the teams records thus far?:help:

How about you look at the actual players performance?

Okay, Nick Schultz has 0g, 0a and is a -1.

Gilbert has 2g, 4a, and is also a -1.

We didn't bring Schultz in for his offense. We brought him in to play defense. When most of the other defense are heavy in the minuses (Smid is -6, Petry -4), I think that's fine. Don't you?

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton

I'm right with your line of thinking for the most part but unlike our traditional quote un quote "strong" starts this season's start has been underwhelming to say the least (save for the LA game). I wasn't seeing the positive signs that others were seeing.

We'll see where they are in two weeks. Occasionally a team will start clicking and gelling out of nowhere in this funny sport. Tambellini had better hope so because his grand plan is in danger of blowing up in spectacular fashion if they finish bottom three again.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Why aren't we in last place then? The first line isn't even converting on anything. We're really not even utilizing Yakupov much either.

Dubnyk has been good, but no savior, there's been no games this year where we've won that I've thought "man we had zero business winning that hockey game, Duby just stole it". He's let in multiple soft goals despite being solid for long stretches.

WE had zero business winning the first Nucks game, the LA game, or the Coyotes game. WE were lucky to get results in each one of them. Incredibly lucky in the LA game afairc..

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm right with your line of thinking for the most part but unlike our traditional quote un quote "strong" starts this season's start has been underwhelming to say the least (save for the LA game). I wasn't seeing the positive signs that others were seeing.

We'll see where they are in two weeks. Occasionally a team will start clicking and gelling out of nowhere in this funny sport. Tambellini had better hope so because his grand plan is in danger of blowing up in spectacular fashion if they finish bottom three again.

The only way they finish bottom 3 again is if they have massive injury problems to the top players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->