Bye bye Tamby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
Its shocking that people think the club should tank one more year. Is this building a hockey club or a Leninist 5 year centralized plan?

Yeah, Gilbert would look good right about now. We didn't need him though, I remember most people on the board stating that.

Penner deals not looking so great either. Teubert is an idiot as I detected, Klefbom might never play an NHL game, and typical recruits like Barker, Eager, Hordi, are the typical collection of retreads that no valid org should currently want.

We're currently in sixth place... Every org. Has their experiments. I'd take Schultz over Gilbert any day of the week. As for Klefbom, how the hell are you writing him off?!?!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nobody will ever give him credit for that.

I'm not the biggest Tamby fan, i feel that hes should have done more in the offseason but it's a joke that he doesn't get credit for that signing.
All this talk about Krueger, Hall. Hell, even Gretzky getting the credit.
I guarantee that if Schultz signed elsewhere that Tambo would have been raked over the coals. Also, everybody cries out for toughness on the blueline and he brings in one of the most effective hitters in the league in Fistric and there's still talk about him doing nothing. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm not the biggest Tamby fan, i feel that hes should have done more in the offseason but it's a joke that he doesn't get credit for that signing.
All this talk about Krueger, Hall. Hell, even Gretzky getting the credit.
I guarantee that if Schultz signed elsewhere that Tambo would have been raked over the coals. Also, everybody cries out for toughness on the blueline and he brings in one of the most effective hitters in the league in Fistric and there's still talk about him doing nothing. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Oh absolutely. I feel the same way. And sure, Krueger deserves credit, but who hired Krueger? :D

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Tambo will earn his salary this week. We've known the Oilers were thin in NHL calibre centers. Now two guys are gone for a while and the Oilers are getting prepared to dress Lander and VV. This is not what a team battling for a playoff spot would do.

The Oilers need depth. They need help. They need Tambo to put on his big boy pants and help the team out here.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Lander will be just as good if not better than Horcoff after about a months time. Horcoff as usual had his one or two good early games on the dot but will end up under 50% for the 4th straight year. He can't generate any offense at all even strength. (2 pts both on the pp)

This might end up us addition by subraction as the young guys are thrust into being leaders and don't have to worry about stepping on our mia captain.

As i said in the other post though, horcoff will become better and better in the eyes of fans and the media the longer he is out. Laughable.

Ahhhh no...our center depth consists of

RNH (71 games)
Gagner (375 games)
Lander (59 games)
VV (17 games)

RNH is fighting it...clearly the weakest link on the top line thus far
Gagner is playing really well, but still small and can't win a draw
Lander has ZERO offence and can't score in the AHL
VV is an older scrub that's never established himself in the NHL

the problem with losing Horcoff and Belanger is that it pushes rookies into position they're unlikely to succeed in

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I seriously wish one of us was running the team, then things would get done. The right things? Who's to say, I doubt it, but things would happen.

I mean look the Oilers could trade a few picks for a 30-40 goal scorer, makes then better now, and there's zero consequences, right?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I seriously wish one of us was running the team, then things would get done. The right things? Who's to say, I doubt it, but things would happen.

I mean look the Oilers could trade a few picks for a 30-40 goal scorer, makes then better now, and there's zero consequences, right?

kessel_phile_487_381.jpg

Absolutely correct.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO...I think Eager is done. If he can't play his game because of the risk of concussion, a very legitimate excuse, I don't think he can be effective.

I hope not but it is possible. I'd rather he try not to fight that much and play the body/pest role.

IMO Horcoff's and Belanger's absence will be a blessing in disguise in that our Nordic line will prove to be a solid line at this level. That said I still really wish that we had 1 of the vets healthy to bolster the other bottom 6 line. We sure could use a guy like ROR right now so that only one of our top 6 lines constantly loses draws.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Lander is playing great so far this year. If we can sign or trade for one other decent defensive centerman we'll be fine.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lander is playing great so far this year. If we can sign or trade for one other decent defensive centerman we'll be fine.

He isn't a liability out there IMO as a whole his line is a solid one. Vande Velde will probably be alright as a 4th line center. Personally I wouldn't mind trying Smyth at C and calling up Tyrvainen to add a physical presence to the lineup.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
What utter baloney, too many injuries right now....to our 3rd and 4th liners. The thing that is going to be good to watch is that Belanger who 3/4 of the board hated last year will be elevated into a key player status and Horcoff will be elevated into god hood the longer he is out.
Both guys play an important role, and having them both out increases the hole that one of them would make alone. Losing our best defensive players when our toughest players are already out affects this team. There is no question that the team is small when healthy. This just makes it worse.

Some people called him Tammy, just like they called Penner pancakes and Stortini huggy and now they're on to snowpants. Doesn't make any of that accurate.

Gilbert was a good player, I'm sorry if you don't recognize that. And I've seen nothing in N Schultz's game to make me think a one for one swap was anything but robbery on the part of the Wild.

I don’t think you will find anyone in the hockey world who thinks that trade was a robbery. You are letting your hatred of management get in the way of your reason. There are many reasons to complain, but this one is just laughable.

In regards to the nicknames, they are earned because they are accurate. They wouldn’t stick if they weren’t. That’s the whole point of nicknames.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Being a GM is incredibly easy when you're a fan. You can't go wrong.

In GMLandâ„¢ you only have to push the red button and everything's fixed. Why can't Tambellini be more like that?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
pretty sure he is 2/2 "bunting" the puck in the net

If anything this should tell you how much puck luck we've had. Ever try bunting a puck home with a hockey stick? Get back to me when you do. It takes years for people to learn this skill with a baseball bat. Even a that they're not bunting into a small cage all they have to do is get the ball in play. Anywhere in play.

I love Yak but the same player that made two bunts that were hilite reel plays off deflections has missed several direct feeds and pucks that were perfectly placed on his stick.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He did. Both "lucky bunts" were great plays made by a very skilled player, no different than any other great play made by a very skilled player.

Holy crap, I'm in an alternate universe of logic here.

You think those bunts are probable plays off deflections? They were amazing goals because he somehow knocked deflections out of thin air. The same player is completely whiffing on several one timers.
Yakupov, like any skilled player, is going to have ones that go perfectly right, and a lot of improbable strikes that don't work.

People need to consider here that the two plays are improbable, regardless of Yaks talent.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If anything this should tell you how much puck luck we've had. Ever try bunting a puck home with a hockey stick? Get back to me when you do. It takes years for people to learn this skill with a baseball bat. Even a that they're not bunting into a small cage all they have to do is get the ball in play. Anywhere in play.

I love Yak but the same player that made two bunts that were hilite reel plays off deflections has missed several direct feeds and pucks that were perfectly placed on his stick.

Please. Is every hit in baseball lucky then? :laugh: Maybe it's tough for people like you but a highly skilled hockey player?

JoeMalone

Apr 12, 2009
The only issue I have with Tambellini is his inability to make the small deals to fill holes. I am fine with not pulling the trigger on a massive deal, but where are the small trades that teams make because their scouts are feeding them them good intel?

Like the Tarnstrom for Glencross deal that Lowe made?

Is Tambellini of the opinion that he cannot do something like trade a 3rd and a 4th for a solid 3rd or 4th liner? Can the scouts not identify someone in the AHL that could be had for one of his depth players or lower-rated prospects?

Those are the kinds of deals that a GM needs to make to go along with the 'build through the draft' plan. You need to paying attention the waiver wires, look for solid deals to build depth. I don't mind most of the trades he HAS made, its the inability for him to be proactive, identify a need in his lineup, and make a deal to try and fill it.

Be willing to deal Ryan Whitney for 23-26 AHL defencemen who your scouts tell you would be a good 4-6, responsible, nothing flashy NHL defenceman, or a biggish grinding winger who is a decent skater that is just too low on another teams depth chart.

Team needs a bigger 2nd line centre? Identify three guys you want, and work on that trade.

Part of it is perception, part of it is frustration with my favorite team being DFL for years, but I would like the GM to explore trades at time beyond the deadline and the draft. Make the deal when the team is still in the playoff hunt, not when they are long out of it or when its golf season.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
Ahhhh no...our center depth consists of

RNH (71 games)
Gagner (375 games)
Lander (59 games)
VV (17 games)

RNH is fighting it...clearly the weakest link on the top line thus far
Gagner is playing really well, but still small and can't win a draw
Lander has ZERO offence and can't score in the AHL
VV is an older scrub that's never established himself in the NHL

the problem with losing Horcoff and Belanger is that it pushes rookies into position they're unlikely to succeed in

But if both Horc and Belanger were healthy, neither Lander or VV would even have a chance to succeed or fail. Great opportunity for someone from the farm to step up and prove they belong here.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Please. Is every hit in baseball lucky then? :laugh: Maybe it's tough for people like you but a highly skilled hockey player?

Do you discern any difference between the width of a baseball bat and a hockey stick shaft? On at least one of these plays, and possibly both, he hit it out of thin air with a one inch circumference hockey shaft. Plus as I mentioned he's hitting it into a small cage and into an area not covered by the goalie. From an angle at that.

When you bunt in baseball you're making contact with a ball travelling in a specific known area that is being pitched purposely directly at you. All you need to do is knock the ball anywhere forward. Not into a small cage. A little different then finding a deflected puck out of the glare of the houselights and perfectly knocking it home.

This is beyond skill, some luck involved. If you don't see that I can't help you. If this was just skill you'd be seeing this play regularly. As it is few players execute knocking a puck out of mid air into the net. Certainly you see several attempts at it.

I'm astonished really that people can be arguing about this. Yak is skilled, he isn't Deep Blue hockey computer tm mathematically formulating deflection trajectory, angle, perfect timing, and incidence of contact in real time algorithms..yes, that computes..

Finally, has anybody in this discussion computed that the actual deflections landing perfectly where Yak is standing wide open is, perhaps, lucky, lets see...

Last edited:

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Nobody is expecting Tambellini to trade for Weber and James Neal. The fact is, he has never made a single trade or signing that has properly filled a hole for this team. Barker? Foster? Frasier? Really?

It's scary to hear the way he speaks about building a team, and how he claims he's doing something incredible by "building from within the organization". If I see another Foster/Sutton/Barker/Frasier-esque signing or trade in a lame attempt to fit team needs I will lose all faith in this organization. It's like we're happy to take the garbage other teams don't want on some ridiculous whim that they will turn their careers around here. The Gilbert for Schultz trade was not a disaster, but it sure as hell did not make this team any better. A bit of a lateral movement, although I would have preffered to keep Gilbert.

I don't agree that Tambellini has done a terrible job here, but he has does nothing good besides getting rid of Staios, Moreau, and signing Hemsky. If we were to win a cup this year, as was stated earlier in this thread, it has nothing to do with him. I hope he has the balls to do something significant in the next year to address our defense and our bottom 6. We can't just cross our fingers and hope Klefbom turns out to be a stud.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Did you actually pay attention to those plays Eberle was getting frustrated on last night? He was high sticked 3 different times with no calls. I'd be pissed to
Of course I did. There are multiple reasons for his frustrations at the moment. They feel pressure to score on every shift thanks to the team's anemic offense, they're not scoring and their line is being pushed around and victimized despite their best efforts.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
The only issue I have with Tambellini is his inability to make the small deals to fill holes. I am fine with not pulling the trigger on a massive deal, but where are the small trades that teams make because their scouts are feeding them them good intel?

Like the Tarnstrom for Glencross deal that Lowe made?

Is Tambellini of the opinion that he cannot do something like trade a 3rd and a 4th for a solid 3rd or 4th liner? Can the scouts not identify someone in the AHL that could be had for one of his depth players or lower-rated prospects?

Those are the kinds of deals that a GM needs to make to go along with the 'build through the draft' plan. You need to paying attention the waiver wires, look for solid deals to build depth. I don't mind most of the trades he HAS made, its the inability for him to be proactive, identify a need in his lineup, and make a deal to try and fill it.

Be willing to deal Ryan Whitney for 23-26 AHL defencemen who your scouts tell you would be a good 4-6, responsible, nothing flashy NHL defenceman, or a biggish grinding winger who is a decent skater that is just too low on another teams depth chart.

Team needs a bigger 2nd line centre? Identify three guys you want, and work on that trade.

Part of it is perception, part of it is frustration with my favorite team being DFL for years, but I would like the GM to explore trades at time beyond the deadline and the draft. Make the deal when the team is still in the playoff hunt, not when they are long out of it or when its golf season.

Good post, this is what I was trying to get at but this sounds much better. To be fair, the Oilers teams of the last couple years were not good enough to even bother trying to address needs like these. This is now the time when we need to start filling these holes.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Of course I did. There are multiple reasons for his frustrations at the moment. They feel pressure to score on every shift thanks to the team's anemic offense, they're not scoring and their line is being pushed around and victimized despite their best efforts.

I'm sure Eberle realizes how ineffective the line has been. But as I mentioned anytime we face a club that practices good coverage and sound defensive play, whether it be AHL, or NHL, that line has problems producing.

But that line right now IS the teams anaemic offence. How many other first lines in the league with a fantastic passer like J Schultz have a paltry 5 goals in 9GP? This line is supposed to be carrying the club. On goals/minute they're barely better than the 3rd and 4th lines and largely due to PP minutes.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I'm sure Eberle realizes how ineffective the line has been. But as I mentioned anytime we face a club that practices good coverage and sound defensive play, whether it be AHL, or NHL, that line has problems producing.

But that line right now IS the teams anaemic offence. How many other first lines in the league with a fantastic passer like J Schultz have a paltry 5 goals in 9GP? This line is supposed to be carrying the club. On goals/minute they're barely better than the 3rd and 4th lines and largely due to PP minutes.
Like we've discussed at length, that line didn't work last year and it doesn't work now. Maybe once Nugent-Hopkins matures a little bit it'll have the potential to be one of the best lines in the league but right now the Oilers are trying to force something that just isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad