TSN: Buzz around Michalek/Spezza/Ryan

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Not good enough to forecheck, backcheck, and go to the front of the net? I disagree.

He's not a prototypical 1st liner, that's for sure, but it's about finding balance on your lines.

It's nothing against him with bobby and Spez they'd probably pat his stats and everyone would say I was wrong anyways. But it's his speed and strength that makes him not look out of place but his IQ is lacking.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The big thing is that these guys will play the majority of their ice time with Karlsson. I don't think Ryan is really the type of goal scorer who needs a set up guy like Spezza but he definitely thrives off of a good break out. Same goes for Michalek. The transition game will be the most fun part to watch.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
I suspect that if Michalek, Spezza and Ryan don't do well together, you might see Greening take a couple of games with them instead of Michalek.

Also, Conacher might get a chance up there too.

There's also a possibility that MacArthur gets a shot on Spezza's right wing while Turris and Ryan play some time together. I don't think its likely to happen though, but it could. Ryan will definitely be to the right of Turris if Spezza get's hurt at any point during the season.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
yeah, i think they at least stick with ryan-spezza for a couple of months, but i could see greening up there pretty quickly. I think it gives our lineup a lot more balance.

Ryan-Spezza-Greening (off-wings)
MacArthur-Turris-Michalek (michalek on off-wing)
Conacher-Zibanejad-Neil
Hoffman-Smith-Condra
Kassian, JOB

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The big thing is that these guys will play the majority of their ice time with Karlsson. I don't think Ryan is really the type of goal scorer who needs a set up guy like Spezza but he definitely thrives off of a good break out. Same goes for Michalek. The transition game will be the most fun part to watch.

And that is why I randomly got this weird idea...

Petersson-Spezza-Michalek
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Conacher-Zibanejad-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil

O'Brien/Kassian

PP1 : Ryan-Spezza-Michalek
PP2 : MacArthur-Turris-Zibanejad/Petersson

Split time at ES of the first 2 lines evenly, same for line 3 and 4. Like 18/17 & 13/12 (that's if no special units at all)

Or just trade Spezza :sarcasm:

PS : O'Brien has to disappear to leave the space for call-ups (i.e Hoffman, Pageau, Stone, Prince and Da Costa). Of course I am assuming Petersson makes the team out of camp which is not likely to happen but I don't care... I love it

===============

hey I am going to predict forwards paces (per 82 games, so assuming they stay 100% healthy)

Spezza 33-55 = 88 pts
Ryan 34-37 = 71 Pts
Michalek 30-31 = 61 Pts
Turris 25-31 = 56 Pts
Macarthur 20-32 = 52 Pts
Conacher 21-27 = 48 Pts
Zibanejad 18-24 = 42 Pts
Greening 15-18 = 33 Pts
Smith 11-20 = 31 Pts
Condra 10-15 = 25 Pts
Neil 8-10 = 18 Pts
Kassian 2-3 = 5 Pts

Last edited:

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Am I the only one who thinks this is an unlikely line? As good as Spezza is defensively atm, I still think you throw Greening in there to be the defensive conscience of the group so that Spez can turn and go as soon as we establish possession.

Let Spezza and Ryan form some chemistry and allow Greening to create space.:dunno:

Michalek is no slouch defensively. I'd put him at least on par with Greening. Only difference could be the fact that he is better offensively and might take chances Greening wouldn't. But he recovers as well and is sound defensively.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't know why a lot of you have Michalek scoring more than Spezza. I'd think Ryan is now the official goal scorer on the line and Spezza will keep scoring from the distance he shoots that others can't really match while Michalek will score the speedy tick-tack-toes, rebound goals, inclose ones etc...

I see Michalek not hitting 30 tbh but who knows.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Ryan-Spezza-Michalek with some 100% Karlsson sprinkled in could quite possibly be one of the most deadliest lines in the league this season.....if Spezz and Milo can stay healthy.

WhiteLight*

Conacher - Zibanejad - Ryan
Greening - Spezza - Michalek
MacArthur - Turris - Condra
Hoffman - Smith - Neil

oh yeah

WhiteLight*

lol at least 2 guys can't read. Blame the system!

weez lolzing at your ''assumption Petersson will make the team out of camp which is not likely to happen but you don't care you love it''

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Conacher - Zibanejad - Ryan
Greening - Spezza - Michalek
MacArthur - Turris - Condra
Hoffman - Smith - Neil

oh yeah

Yea for some reason I think a tandem of Zibanejad-Ryan in a couple of years would be more destructive than Spezza-Ryan but that's just me.

I unno why probably cause both can create and finish their chances while playing gritty game.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Here is my lineup using the secret cloning machine:

Malkin-Crosby-Ryan
MacArthur-Giroux-Kane
Greening-Turris-Zibanejad
Condra-Smith-Neil

Chara-Karlsson
Methot-Keith
Phillips-Wericoch

Lundqvist
Lehner

Waterboy: Alfredsson

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Here is my lineup using the secret cloning machine:

Malkin-Crosby-Ryan
MacArthur-Giroux-Kane
Greening-Turris-Zibanejad
Condra-Smith-Neil

Chara-Karlsson
Methot-Keith
Phillips-Wericoch

Lundqvist
Lehner

Waterboy: Alfredsson

You have a cloning machine, and you only have 1 Karlsson? Why not 6?

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
And that is why I randomly got this weird idea...

Petersson-Spezza-Michalek
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Conacher-Zibanejad-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil

O'Brien/Kassian

PP1 : Ryan-Spezza-Michalek
PP2 : MacArthur-Turris-Zibanejad/Petersson

Split time at ES of the first 2 lines evenly, same for line 3 and 4. Like 18/17 & 13/12 (that's if no special units at all)

Or just trade Spezza :sarcasm:

PS : O'Brien has to disappear to leave the space for call-ups (i.e Hoffman, Pageau, Stone, Prince and Da Costa). Of course I am assuming Petersson makes the team out of camp which is not likely to happen but I don't care... I love it

===============

hey I am going to predict forwards paces (per 82 games, so assuming they stay 100% healthy)

Spezza 33-55 = 88 pts
Ryan 34-37 = 71 Pts
Michalek 30-31 = 61 Pts
Turris 25-31 = 56 Pts
Macarthur 20-32 = 52 Pts
Conacher 21-27 = 48 Pts
Zibanejad 18-24 = 42 Pts
Greening 15-18 = 33 Pts
Smith 11-20 = 31 Pts
Condra 10-15 = 25 Pts
Neil 8-10 = 18 Pts
Kassian 2-3 = 5 Pts

Assuming Petersson makes the team, stays healthy, and plays 82 games, you dont think he will score 1 point?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
FWIW, Shawn Simpson is saying on Twitter than Ryan's conditioning isn't up to Senators standard. He's going to need some extra work and time to get to where Mac expects his guys to be...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad