TSN: Buzz around Michalek/Spezza/Ryan

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Don't you just love when fans from other teams (especially a leafs fan) comes into your forum and talks **** about your team? Thank god for the ignore feature. :nod:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
You must not have seen him play for Atlanta.

I see a reluctant shooter in Turris on the second line with a complimentary MacArthur. I think Michalek on that line goes a long way to making it more complete- as opposed to somewhat redundant on the 1st line.

But whatever.

Atlanta? That was a lot of baconators ago ;) Shouldn't we at the very least be going by how he was during the majority of his time with the Sens?

But, everyone has the right to their own opinion. None of it will impact on how the season plays out.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He injured his knee in that car accident. He was much faster and more dynamic in his Atlanta days. (Heatley)

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Atlanta? That was a lot of baconators ago ;) Shouldn't we at the very least be going by how he was during the majority of his time with the Sens?

But, everyone has the right to their own opinion. None of it will impact on how the season plays out.

Well you did say he was "best as a trigger man" and I think that's the only way he was used unless Spezza was hurt.

KarlssonnSchultz

Feb 5, 2013
Ottawa
100% agree. The argument against them is that there is only one puck, but Milan is better without it then when he's forced to carry it.

This line has everything you need. It's just whether they develop the chemistry and stay healthy which determines their status.

While I do agree, are you really that satisfied with Macarthur, Turris, Conacher as our second line? Not that I think it's terrible because all of them are decent players but I see a line that is small, decent offensively, average defensively and lacks a bit of experience.

I just think that Spezza/Milo or Spezza/Ryan can be a top line all on it's own and I like the idea of having a very solid second line to go along with it. I also don't want to see Greening get wasted because I think he can be a very effective top 6 player even if he's only putting up 35-40 points.

EDIT: I guess the best way for me to say this is that we have such a perfect mix of offensive/defense, size/speed, physical/flashy that I would like to see it spread out so that all lines have a bit of everything.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I wouldn't mind seeing them try Conacher up with Spez & Ryan. He plays well with speed and could be a serious agitator, then Milo can sort of bolster Mac & Turris' line.

The reason I don't necessarily want Greening up there is because he was so effective with JGP & Condra. If JGP sticks I would love to see that line reinstated.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Rofl. You are forgetting we have the most dynamic offensive player in the game in Erik Karlsson.

He was on the ice for most goals for than any player 2 year ago even the guy who had 30 more points than him in Malkin.

A breakout passer in Karlsson a playmaker in Spezza should give Ryan at least 30 goals.

Anaheim had no one close to Karlsson's ability to transition the puck. Ryan is most effective on the breakout if you watch his goals.

The year Ryan got 34 goals and 71 points - his best year ever - Anaheim had 68 point Lubomir Visnovsky on the backend, feeding everyone the puck. They also had 50 goal/98 point Corey Perry and 80 point Teemu Selanne and 76 point Ryan Getzlaf.

Bobby Ryan played on a far superior team in Anaheim then, loaded with elite talent, firing on all cylinders,

He simply won't have that in Ottawa.

SaxPlayer

Apr 20, 2007
Ottawa
The year Ryan got 34 goals and 71 points - his best year ever - Anaheim had 68 point Lubomir Visnovsky on the backend, feeding everyone the puck. They also had 50 goal/98 point Corey Perry and 80 point Teemu Selanne and 76 point Ryan Getzlaf.

Bobby Ryan played on a far superior team in Anaheim then, loaded with elite talent, firing on all cylinders,

How about we let them play the games and see what happens? I have trouble thinking of a sillier waste of time then trying to come up with all the reasons why a player won't be successful. Unless you're just trolling, of course.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
MacArthur-Turris-Michalek can be a deadly second line
Agree. This is what I was hoping to see. I'd have put a complimentary player on that top line (many, many, possibilities - Greening/Stone/Hoffman/Conacher) and assemble what could be a very dangerous second line to go with a great top line.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
How about we let them play the games and see what happens? I have trouble thinking of a sillier waste of time then trying to come up with all the reasons why a player won't be successful. Unless you're just trolling, of course.

I never said he won't be successful. I predicted he'll score 25-30 goals and 55-60 points.

To which I received more than a few "ROFL's", which is why I began discussing WHY I think he'll be hard-pressed to do as well as he did in Anaheim.

I'm not attacking. I like Bobby Ryan.

But I also have an opinion about how he'll do in Ottawa this year, and "RAH RAH RAH" has nothing to do with it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I never said he won't be successful. I predicted he'll score 25-30 goals and 55-60 points.

To which I received more than a few "ROFL's", which is why I began discussing WHY I think he'll be hard-pressed to do as well as he did in Anaheim.

But I also have an opinion about how he'll do in Ottawa this year, and "RAH RAH RAH" has nothing to do with it.

Spezza is better than Getzlaf, and Karlsson is way better than Visnovsky. The team's depth is much better than that Anaheim team, too, and they play a more offensive system.

Ryan will set a career high this year if he's healthy.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

That's a really strange point to make when we have Karlsson.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Spezza is better than Getzlaf, and Karlsson is way better than Visnovsky. The team's depth is much better than that Anaheim team, too, and they play a more offensive system.

Ryan will set a career high this year if he's healthy.

Scoring overall was higher then though as well.

I can see it going either way.

One thing is for sure, he'll need a healthy Spezza to come close.

corksens

Jul 19, 2005

Check the PP time he averaged in Anaheim. And then compare it to the time he'll likely get in Ottawa.

Players that get more icetime, and especially more PP time don't normally stagnate.

Edit: Oh, and "rah rah rah" is as much a part of our posting as your "hate hate hate".

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Guys let the games play out. We will see what Ryan will do :D

BTW if this is the same Leaf fan named Holymakinaw that is at Sportsnet forums... I would take him with a HUGE grain of salt

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Remember, every team will have their best shut down players against this line. They will not be playing against the other teams top offensive lines which sometimes may have defensive liabilities. I think they will be split up as soon as production slides.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Meh ... I hope PM puts a stop to the constant give aways (Spezza) & gets that top line to mange the puck better as well as Karlsson. It's only game one of the preseason but it's best to put a stop to that nonsense early. If the Sens can play as well defensively as they did last season given the potential offence this team now has they will be very hard to beat. So let's not give the other team any more opportunities than they deserve by giving them the puck more often. I'm more excited about the other three lines.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
While they might accumulate a lot of points, I guarantee this two-some will also cause much frustration.... especially if they settle into their roles as passer and shooter.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's going to take a little while for them to figure out their roles.

I remember that even the Pizza line had its issue at times when Spezza was too busy trying to set up Heatley.

When all three guys had equal odds to pass and shoot, defending teams had no answer.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Meh ... I hope PM puts a stop to the constant give aways (Spezza) & gets that top line to mange the puck better as well as Karlsson. It's only game one of the preseason but it's best to put a stop to that nonsense early. If the Sens can play as well defensively as they did last season given the potential offence this team now has they will be very hard to beat. So let's not give the other team any more opportunities than they deserve by giving them the puck more often. I'm more excited about the other three lines.

Wow.

Let me get this straight, you're more excited about the bottom three lines than Spezza/Michalek/Ryan?

I have seen it all now, and to think that they're all pretty big guys. Too much skill I suppose.

One M0RE YEAR

Jun 5, 2013
how about

greening - spezza - ryan
mcarthur - turris - michalek
conacher - zibanejad - pageau
condra - smith - neil

pretty solid lines top to bottom

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Actually it all makes a lot of sense...

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
Macarthur-Turris-Ryan
Conacher-Zibanejad-Stone
Condra-Smith-Neil
Kassian

Freaking solid

But a powerful top line could great too, and we could still make an interesting top-9

Ryan-Spezza-Michalek
MacArthur-Turris-Conacher
Greening-Zibanejad-Stone
Condra-Smith-Neil
Kassian

I think we need to keep Ryan on the top line with Spezza. He ran into the same situation in Anahiem and it ended with a trade. I think part of the joy of him coming here was to become a legitimate 1st line winger, playing with a legitimate 1st line centre.

If we find that we need to spread out the offence, I'd much rather move Michalek around. Those two will develope some chemistry undoubtedly, and when they do, watch out!

In the end, that's the kind of playing happiness that keeps players re-signing with the same team.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->