TSN: Buzz around Michalek/Spezza/Ryan

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I think 9 MM is a great player, and I am expecting 25-30 goals from him this season.

I have a hard time picturing a scenario where he stays beyond this season. If his injury troubles continue then it is best from the team to walk away. If he does not have injury troubles he will put up some pretty decent numbers, and will be unlikely to take a drop in pay to stay past this year. The only scenario where he stays is if he plays well and decides to take a hefty hometown discount.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
FWIW, Shawn Simpson is saying on Twitter than Ryan's conditioning isn't up to Senators standard. He's going to need some extra work and time to get to where Mac expects his guys to be...

He's full of crap. Yesterday in Maclean's interview he was asked if any players stood out. And the only player he mentioned was that Ryan impressed him.

There's no need to worry

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
60-70? if that line only scores that many goals, we're f**ked.
That line better score 90+

Seriously, when was the last time an NHL line had 90 goals in a season? In 2012, maybe what... 2 teams did it or came close? In the entire league? Pittsburgh's ridiculously stacked top line did it... Chicago's top line had 80+ goals.

90 goals is an unrealistic expectation.

WhiteLight*

Was there even a single line in the NHL that scored 90 goals last year?!?

Or... because I'm slow and forgot that last year was a shortened season, was there a team in 2012 that had a line score 90?

LW (0) + Malkin (50) + Neal (40) = 90

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
LW (0) + Malkin (50) + Neal (40) = 90

Yeah, I edited my post above after remembering that Malkin went crazy that year. I think maybe Tampa also had their top line get 90+ goals that year, on the back of Stamkos's 60-goal season.

Still, maybe one team per year has a line that gets 90 goals in a season. Or two, if you have a guy on that line who is good for 50+ goals. My point still stands that expecting it is both setting yourself up for disappointment, and setting unrealistic expectations.

WhiteLight*

Yeah, I edited my post above after remembering that Malkin went crazy that year.

Still, maybe one team per year has a line that gets 90 goals in a season. My point still stands that expecting it is both setting yourself up for disappointment, and setting unrealistic expectations.

Kunitz, Malkin, Neal got 116

St. Louis, Stamkos, Purcell got 109

Greening, Spezza, Michalek got 86

Pacioretty, Desharnais, Cole got 84

Parise, Henrique, Kovalchuk got 84

Hartnell, Giroux, Jagr got 84

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

So, 2/30 of NHL teams hit that "90+" goal.
Another 1/30 came within 5 goals of that benchmark.

... And another 3/ 30 came within 10 goals of it.

So... right. OK.

Let's summarize: It is unrealistic to expect 90+ goals from your top line, unless it contains a Hart Trophy candidate who has a career year. I will concede that much.

WhiteLight*

So, 2/30 of NHL teams hit that "90+" goal.
Another 1/30 came within 5 goals of that benchmark.

... And another 3/ 30 came within 10 goals of it.

So... right. OK.

Let's summarize: It is unrealistic to expect 90+ goals from your top line, unless it contains a Hart Trophy candidate who has a career year. I will concede that much.

Well Ryan >>> Greening. Just saying

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
weez lolzing at your ''assumption Petersson will make the team out of camp which is not likely to happen but you don't care you love it''

You put this in " " but this isn't my exact quote so I don't get it. Anyway it was an attempt at a joke with the song

Assuming Petersson makes the team, stays healthy, and plays 82 games, you dont think he will score 1 point?

Good observation but the second part was about projections with a more realistic scenario... In the first part, my boy Petersson makes the team. I know it's a longshot with all the competition he has. Assuming he makes the team and play all 82 games on the 1st line with Spezza, I see him scoring 25 goals/30 assists. But the chances are low and we all know that

But Comon Andre, prove them all wrong!

WhiteLight*

You put this in " " but this isn't my exact quote so I don't get it. Anyway it was an attempt at a joke with the song

Let's be honest, if this was an academic setting I would have been called out for plagiarism. I had to put it in '' ''

SaxPlayer

Apr 20, 2007
Ottawa
Let's be honest, if this was an academic setting I would have been called out for plagiarism. I had to put it in '' ''

Let's be honest. If this was an academic setting and you identified something as a direct quote and then misquoted, you would be called out for sloppy work.

WhiteLight*

Let's be honest. If this was an academic setting and you identified something as a direct quote and then misquoted, you would be called out for sloppy work.

whatever but I would have to cite it somehow if I paraphrased

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm so FREAKING EXCITED!!!!!

182822282_640.jpg

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Seriously, when was the last time an NHL line had 90 goals in a season? In 2012, maybe what... 2 teams did it or came close? In the entire league? Pittsburgh's ridiculously stacked top line did it... Chicago's top line had 80+ goals.

90 goals is an unrealistic expectation.

It is not unrealistic to expect 30+ from Spezza, Ryan and Michalek

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i think if it's below 80, something has gone wrong (likely an injury).
90 is certainly attainable. I expect scoring will be up a bit this year as goalies adjust to slightly smaller pads.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Third best goal scoring line in the NHL that yr is not to shabby, so why not keep those three together since we know they work well together. Spread out the scoring & put the two new guys (Ryan & Mac) with Turris to create another dynamic scoring line? Conacher, Zibanejad & Stone would make a 3rd scoring line. That would certainly make it hard for opposing coaches to key on any one line to shut down our top line. If I was an opposing coach I would target Spezza to shut that line down. Of course, the way PM switches players on lines it will be interesting to see how long it takes before he breaks up the top line, one shift, one period, one game or several games. I expect this team to score over 600 pts this season.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Third best goal scoring line in the NHL that yr is not to shabby, so why not keep those three together since we know they work well together. Spread out the scoring & put the two new guys (Ryan & Mac) with Turris to create another dynamic scoring line? Conacher, Zibanejad & Stone would make a 3rd scoring line. That would certainly make it hard for opposing coaches to key on any one line to shut down our top line. If I was an opposing coach I would target Spezza to shut that line down. Of course, the way PM switches players on lines it will be interesting to see how long it takes before he breaks up the top line, one shift, one period, one game or several games. I expect this team to score over 600 pts this season.

Because having a legitimate first line that's a threat almost every shift is one of the most important things you can have on a team.

We went to the Finals last time we had that, and now our overall depth seems to be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad