TSN: Buzz around Michalek/Spezza/Ryan

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Spezza has had 4 seasons with >30, the only seasons he has not since 05 06 were injury plagued.

Ryan had 4 straight seasons at >30 when he broke in to the league as a regular and only missed last year in terms of that number

Michalek has already had a 35 goal season playing with Spezza and his issue seems to be health, if healthy he scores.

It is not unreasonable at all for these 3 to score 90 goals IF they are healthy. I will be disappointed if they don't.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Does anyone get the feeling that if spezza and ryan click, michalek will disappear into the wind like ryan did when he was on the first line in anaheim?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Does anyone get the feeling that if spezza and ryan click, michalek will disappear into the wind like ryan did when he was on the first line in anaheim?

yeah, he might end up being a waste on that line. Especially with karlsson getting the bulk of minutes with spezza-ryan as well. There's only one puck.

i think by november we start seeing greening (or maybe conacher) up there so turris can have milo.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Why can't Michalek be an effective 2nd option to Spezza, like Alfie was during the pizza years?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Third best goal scoring line in the NHL that yr is not to shabby, so why not keep those three together since we know they work well together. Spread out the scoring & put the two new guys (Ryan & Mac) with Turris to create another dynamic scoring line? Conacher, Zibanejad & Stone would make a 3rd scoring line. That would certainly make it hard for opposing coaches to key on any one line to shut down our top line. If I was an opposing coach I would target Spezza to shut that line down. Of course, the way PM switches players on lines it will be interesting to see how long it takes before he breaks up the top line, one shift, one period, one game or several games. I expect this team to score over 600 pts this season.

Actually it all makes a lot of sense...

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
Macarthur-Turris-Ryan
Conacher-Zibanejad-Stone
Condra-Smith-Neil
Kassian

Freaking solid

But a powerful top line could great too, and we could still make an interesting top-9

Ryan-Spezza-Michalek
MacArthur-Turris-Conacher
Greening-Zibanejad-Stone
Condra-Smith-Neil
Kassian

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
yeah, he might end up being a waste on that line. Especially with karlsson getting the bulk of minutes with spezza-ryan as well. There's only one puck.

i think by november we start seeing greening (or maybe conacher) up there so turris can have milo.

I am hoping that all three players on the first line will be able to contribute.

A MacArthur-Turris-Michalek line would be deadly though imo.

John Holmes*

I read that Conacher is trying to stick on the Turris / MacArthur line. He jumped in and started doing drills with them apparently.

I think you have to keep Ryan with Spezza. A natural finisher is what that line has needed since Heatley left.

thefatjesus*

Actually it all makes a lot of sense...

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
Macarthur-Turris-Ryan
Conacher-Zibanejad-Stone
Condra-Smith-Neil
Kassian

Freaking solid

But a powerful top line could great too, and we could still make an interesting top-9

Ryan-Spezza-Michalek
MacArthur-Turris-Conacher
Greening-Zibanejad-Stone
Condra-Smith-Neil
Kassian

We are definitely gonna keep Ryan with Spezza for the start, and these lines are amazing..especially that third line

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
When you make a 3 for 1 trade for a multiple 30+ goal scorer and he is playing with an Elite center, fans and media are going to expect a lot.

Im not expecting 50 goals but 35-40 would be REALLY nice.

Well, he had an elite Centre in Anaheim, as well as an elite winger on the other side. I don't see Spezza as being as good as Getzlaf, and Michalek is nowhere near as good as Perry.

I expect 25-30 goals and 50-55 points from Ryan this season.

Expectations are high, but he's going to be in tough to produce like he used to.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Well, he had an elite Centre in Anaheim, as well as an elite winger on the other side. I don't see Spezza as being as good as Getzlaf, and Michalek is nowhere near as good as Perry.

Expectations are high, but he's going to be in tough to produce like he used to.

Ryan was fifth in TOI for forwards last year, and was shuffled throughout the line-up. He played on Selanne's line, and had his best success (18 pts in 18 games) with Nick Bonino, and Kyle Palmeiri. He was also not used on the first pp and still put up points (would have led Ottawa in team scoring last year, despite having an 'off-year'), and drew the most penalties per 60 min on Anaheim.

This guys has a career 14.1% shooting percentage, and is a true finisher. To put it in terms that Leafs fans will understand, Phil Kessel's career shooting percentage is 10.9%, and even during his last two seasons, where he has been Toronto's best player, his percentage rose to 12.5%.

Ryan will probably land around the 35-40 goal plateau this season, but not playing with Andrew Cogliano or Nick Bonino is only going to help Bobby.

Just some food for thought
Getzlaf : 556 gp, 521 pts
Spezza : 611 gp, 621 pts

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

He barely played with them... He wasn't a consistent member of that line. When he was, it was an amazing line and he had 36 goals and 71 points at 23 years of age...

It's good that you have diminutive expectations though. You'll be happily surprised.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Michalek will be very handy on that line.

Defensive awareness
Speed
Crashing the net

3 things that Ryan and Spezza aren't better at

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Apparently Ryan-Spezza-9MM are playing together tonight in Wpg. I am really cursing the fact that this game is not on TV. It would be cool to see them together for the first time, even if it is a meaningless preseason game.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
He barely played with them... He wasn't a consistent member of that line. When he was, it was an amazing line and he had 36 goals and 71 points at 23 years of age...

It's good that you have diminutive expectations though. You'll be happily surprised.

He played more with Getzlaf and Perry than he did with anyone else.

http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-co...m=ANA&strength=EV&playertype=F&gametype=ALL#A

Sorry, but he's now going to play on a line with lesser lights. I can see him maybe reaching 30 goals, but it'll be harder to do. 25 is doable.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He's a lock for 30, anyone who thinks otherwise is mad. No stats, TOI/G, whatever will prove the contrary. All I have to say is that you'll see what he accomplishes this season.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
And you selected one... shortened... season, which was his worst ever. And other then that, he was apparently injured, aaannnd to top it off he admitted that 12-13 was the season where rumours bothered him the most and drifted him away from his game.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Michalek will be very handy on that line.

Defensive awareness
Speed
Crashing the net

3 things that Ryan and Spezza aren't better at

100% agree. The argument against them is that there is only one puck, but Milan is better without it then when he's forced to carry it.

This line has everything you need. It's just whether they develop the chemistry and stay healthy which determines their status.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Why can't Michalek be an effective 2nd option to Spezza, like Alfie was during the pizza years?

2007 Alfie>>>>2013 Michalek

But he can still be effective. I just think there isn't enough puck to go around for 9-19-6.

Heatley was relegated to playing trigger-man on the Pizza line, so the dispersal was a little different.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Rofl. You are forgetting we have the most dynamic offensive player in the game in Erik Karlsson.

He was on the ice for most goals for than any player 2 year ago even the guy who had 30 more points than him in Malkin.

A breakout passer in Karlsson a playmaker in Spezza should give Ryan at least 30 goals.

Anaheim had no one close to Karlsson's ability to transition the puck. Ryan is most effective on the breakout if you watch his goals.

Also, when you have a better winger on the other side it makes you the 2nd option when the playmaker is looking to pass... It reduces your chances to post up better points.

Regardless, the year where he had most TOI with them he recorded 71 points and 34 goals. He also played majority of his career in Anaheim on the 2nd PP.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
2007 Alfie>>>>2013 Michalek

But he can still be effective. I just think there isn't enough puck to go around for 9-19-6.

Heatley was relegated to playing trigger-man on the Pizza line, so the dispersal was a little different.

Heatley was best as a trigger man, and I would not have wanted to see him lugging the puck around continually.

The "there isn't enough puck to go around" argument makes no sense to me. If you put several great players on the ice the end result is a great deal of puck movement back and forth, so they all get a lot of touches. If they are all getting lots of touches, and lots of points, I doubt anyone will care if they can no longer hold onto the puck for very long.

And don't forget Karlsson at the point. He will get more touches and time with the puck than anyone on that line aside from possibly Spezza. Karlsson is going to be the one who stirs the drink on the top line, because teams are going to have to watch for him either streaking into the zone or else coming in late. It would not surprise me to see Karlsson over 20 goals this season, possibly even 25.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Heatley was best as a trigger man, and I would not have wanted to see him lugging the puck around continually.

The "there isn't enough puck to go around" argument makes no sense to me. If you put several great players on the ice the end result is a great deal of puck movement back and forth, so they all get a lot of touches. If they are all getting lots of touches, and lots of points, I doubt anyone will care if they can no longer hold onto the puck for very long.

And don't forget Karlsson at the point. He will get more touches and time with the puck than anyone on that line aside from possibly Spezza. Karlsson is going to be the one who stirs the drink on the top line, because teams are going to have to watch for him either streaking into the zone or else coming in late. It would not surprise me to see Karlsson over 20 goals this season, possibly even 25.

You must not have seen him play for Atlanta.

I see a reluctant shooter in Turris on the second line with a complimentary MacArthur. I think Michalek on that line goes a long way to making it more complete- as opposed to somewhat redundant on the 1st line.

But whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad