Waived: Burrows, O'Brien and Oduya

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Do waiver claims always happen the next day? There were a bunch of guys put on waivers today. Could we see some of them claimed today or would it have to be tomorrow?

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Do waiver claims always happen the next day? There were a bunch of guys put on waivers today. Could we see some of them claimed today or would it have to be tomorrow?
Usually the next day, because the waiver isn't official until tomorrow and it gives all teams enough time to claim them. I suppose some them could already be claimed but we're more likely to hear about it tomorrow while they sort out who gets priority for the pick and whatever else they do.

Wonder if either of them don't get claimed(burrows oduya) would they go to belleville or not. maybe sort out an ahl deal.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Usually the next day, because the waiver isn't official until tomorrow and it gives all teams enough time to claim them. I suppose some them could already be claimed but we're more likely to hear about it tomorrow while they sort out who gets priority for the pick and whatever else they do.

Wonder if either of them don't get claimed would they go to belleville or not.

Let’s hope the Burrows experiment is over. Renaud Lavoie says there may be teams interested in Burrows for his playoff experience. Wonder if Ottawa picks up part of his salary.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Don’t know if this is the true purpose, but it would seem to me that it prevents teams from burying veterans on their farm team that could possibly make another NHL team?

Makes some sense. But if it is only at this time of year, what would be preventing the other NHL teams from signing said veterans.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
After getting waived Alex Burrows, Johnny Oduya and Jim O'Brien walk into a bar and start talking about their contracts
Burrows says: I played a few good games got paid and also got another 2 years for a neat $5M guarantee and now I do nothing
Oduya says: I get $1M and a big bonus just for showing up and I do SFA
O'Brien yells: SHIT (Thanks to the censors you'll never know what he said)

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm at least happy Dorion recognizes that Burrows is useless and isn't forcing him into the lineup to save face for the trade.
I agree, it shows he's willing to at least admit to himself he was wrong to give him the extension.he was wrong, so he's trying to move on from him.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Is Oduya gauranteed bonuses already or could we scratch him like he should be and save a few shillings?
Oduya's base contract pays him $1M so he gets that for sure no matter what.
According to CapFriendly this is his bonus structure:

P. BONUS DETAILS: Player earns a $250k bonus for each of the following he hits: top 5 in TOI for defensemen, top 3 in TOI for defensemen, 41 games played, 65 games played, and qualifies for the playoffs.

He's reached 51 games played so he gets a $250k bonus for that but if they keep him out he won't get to 65. If anyone picks him up might have to think about that 65 game $250K bonus though and maybe the playoff bonus too might still apply to them.
I'm not sure about the toi clauses since some D have been juggled and traded I'm not sure how it works if he's kept out and where he stands as of today against the other roster D toi. Counting toi could be tricky but he may by default still get another $250k as top 5 in toi for D just because the time has been so spread out at the bottom.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Oduya's base contract pays him $1M so he gets that for sure no matter what.
According to CapFriendly this is his bonus structure:

P. BONUS DETAILS: Player earns a $250k bonus for each of the following he hits: top 5 in TOI for defensemen, top 3 in TOI for defensemen, 41 games played, 65 games played, and qualifies for the playoffs.

He's reached 51 games played so he gets a $250k bonus for that but if they keep him out he won't get to 65. If anyone picks him up might have to think about that 65 game $250K bonus though and maybe the playoff bonus too might still apply to them.
I'm not sure about the toi clauses since some D have been juggled and traded I'm not sure how it works if he's kept out and where he stands as of today against the other roster D toi. Counting toi could be tricky but he may by default still get another $250k as top 5 in toi for D just because the time has been so spread out at the bottom.
Wow, so we made a short term contract impossible to translate into an asset at the deadline by coming up with a bonus structure that makes it a bad rental. Way to go!

I guess a richer Sens team could have offered to pay those future bonuses to make the deal more attractive, essentially buying a pick. But that's not going to happen here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wow, so we made a short term contract impossible to translate into an asset at the deadline by coming up with a bonus structure that makes it a bad rental. Way to go!

I guess a richer Sens team could have offered to pay those future bonuses to make the deal more attractive, essentially buying a pick. But that's not going to happen here.
To be fair, at the time the deal was signed, I doubt the team expected to be sellers come deadline time. And like you said, if we wanted a pick for him, and the bonus structure was getting in the way, we could retain on the deal (assuming we haven't already offered that).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
For me part of the issue was playing them ,instead of benching them earlier...Cant let money always dictate what is best for the team

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So Logan Brown isn't leading his league, and he's in a junior development league. We should probably trade him for a 4th liner that we'll waive a year later, clearly he's not very good.

Another fair comparison by you, well done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad