Waived: Burrows, O'Brien and Oduya

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
'
Even the mods are on the ***** train. We gave up nothing but cash for Oduya, so in the end we wanted to make sure he was off the roster by 3pm EST to free up a roster spot and be respectful to an NHL vet.

This wasn't a blink first Mick, damn you're hard to read these days (usually a favourite clinical poster). They had no interest from the league and so they made sure they placed him on waivers while they still had a chance. They already got whatever value Oduya had to offer and let him go.

Anything to attack management....
You just attack anyone who dares see something negatively. Mickles hard to read these days? Because he's saying things you don't agree with?

What does being a mod have to do with anything? They have to agree with your stance because there name is blue? They need to not pose negative opinions?

There is a lot of negative to see, stop acing like a stuck up twat whenever someone has something to say that differs from your POV.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Even the mods are on the ***** train. We gave up nothing but cash for Oduya, so in the end we wanted to make sure he was off the roster by 3pm EST to free up a roster spot and be respectful to an NHL vet.

This wasn't a blink first Mick, damn you're hard to read these days (usually a favourite clinical poster). They had no interest from the league and so they made sure they placed him on waivers while they still had a chance. They already got whatever value Oduya had to offer and let him go.

the struture of his contract probably limited the number of teams interested in him as well, as his bonuses would escalate the cost of his contract, and could cause a team to exceed the cap (and get a penalty on next year). There were likely a number of reasons, one of which being he hasn't been very good.

Are you referring to this quote? I think its pretty objective .. I don't see direct criticism of management. He talks about the contract. The contract is the contract. He presents good reasoning as to why perhaps Oduya was put on waivers vs being held on to for a trade. Maybe I have the wrong reference. Micklebot is pretty level headed and rational in a sea of emo.. if you ask me.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I also hope it serves to act as a wakeup call.

I'd love to trade him in the offseason based on a really good last 20 games to close out this season so that we can get him off of next year's roster.

I'm with you on that... I just think its beyond a wakeup call but .. we shall see.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
'

You just attack anyone who dares see something negatively. Mickles hard to read these days? Because he's saying things you don't agree with?

What does being a mod have to do with anything? They have to agree with your stance because there name is blue? They need to not pose negative opinions?

There is a lot of negative to see, stop acing like a stuck up **** whenever someone has something to say that differs from your POV.

Listen, no one asked you to step in and play champ. I took exception to Micks last post. Don't generalize, I've been pretty damn reasonable during all this compare to how I feel about most of what I read in here.

I don't have issue with people disagreeing with me, I take issue with people taking everything and turning it into how incompetent PD and management is. You think PD wouldn't have taken a pick for Oduya if a single one was available? Or wait, perhaps folks think that he just didn't bother to call around and ask.

I put up with crap day in and day out around here, it's you that can't handle one of the few voices who have had enough with the panicky blamy crap that passes free and clear around here.

I'm far from stuck up, I'm fed up, there's a difference. You know you're acting differently this year, and you have all kinds of reasons, but this isn't all about me, there's a lot of gratuitous insults flying around in this circle jerk of a forum today and I'm not a fan.

I chose not to sit back and shut up for a few minutes.

Reactions: aragorn and CTC

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Listen, no one asked you to step in and play champ. I took exception to Micks last post. Don't generalize, I've been pretty damn reasonable during all this compare to how I feel about most of what I read in here.

I don't have issue with people disagreeing with me, I take issue with people taking everything and turning it into how incompetent PD and management is. You think PD wouldn't have taken a pick for Oduya if a single one was available? Or wait, perhaps folks think that he just didn't bother to call around and ask.

I put up with crap day in and day out around here, it's you that can't handle one of the few voices who have had enough with the panicky blamy crap that passes free and clear around here.

I'm far from stuck up, I'm fed up, there's a difference. You know you're acting differently this year, and you have all kinds of reasons, but this isn't all about me, there's a lot of gratuitous insults flying around in this circle jerk of a forum today and I'm not a fan.

I chose not to sit back and shut up for a few minutes.

I'm not jumping in to play champ, highly doubt he'd need that. I was calling out a post, just as you say you were.

I know I am acting differently, things are being run like dogshit and the state of the team is showing it. I choose to not to turn a blind eye to it.

You're probably right, I probably can't handle it so likely better to just stop

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Wrong. It means do it more often so we don't have to pay you during your long suspensions.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I laughed when I heard that.
Sounded as if he was a struggling young player, not an over the hill veteran who can't keep up anymore.
I don't think Burrows can really help his current play.
I agree with you ,, I think this is it.. maybe a more inspired shift here and there but he's done

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think you're reading too much into what I posted. I'm not being critical of Dorion here, just stating the reality of the situation. He had two options; waive Oduya and accept nothing, or hold out for a late draft pick and risk being stuck with his contract. Teams without strict budget issues would have likely done the latter, and maybe picked up a 5th or a 7th round pick. That's not a big return, so no loss as to us the cash savings of dumping him (and the good will letting him go to a playoff team potentially creates) is worth more than the draft pick. This isn't a criticism of Dorion, had he gotten an asset for Oduya I'd have been giving him kudos on a job well done, instead, he gets a pass mark.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I think you're reading too much into what I posted. I'm not being critical of Dorion here, just stating the reality of the situation. He had two options; waive Oduya and accept nothing, or hold out for a late draft pick and risk being stuck with his contract. Teams without strict budget issues would have likely done the latter, and maybe picked up a 5th or a 7th round pick. That's not a big return, so no loss as to us the cash savings of dumping him (and the good will letting him go to a playoff team potentially creates) is worth more than the draft pick. This isn't a criticism of Dorion, had he gotten an asset for Oduya I'd have been giving him kudos on a job well done, instead, he gets a pass mark.

Because if he waives him after the deadline, another team can't use him on playoff roster correct?

If anyone knows off hand because I can't tell from capfriendly or wherever else, did Oduya hit all his performance bonuses, or does this waiver claim get the Sens off the hook of another 250k+ ?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Because if he waives him after the deadline, another team can't use him on playoff roster correct?

If anyone knows off hand because I can't tell from capfriendly or wherever else, did Oduya hit all his performance bonuses, or does this waiver claim get the Sens off the hook of another 250k+ ?
He has not hit all his performance bonuses. Some of playoff metrics, and one is 65 games played I believe. I think (but can't confirm) that the team acquiring him would be on the hook for the full bonuses as they get met (so we're on the hook for the first one which is 50 games played, and they are on the hook for the higher thresholds). I'm unsure how ones like top 4 in avg toi would be handled; do we prorate it like the normal salary, or is it added at the end of the year when he meets the mark? What happens if he meets it for us, but not for the flyers? ect.

Like I said though, there are a few reasons it went down like it did; We wanted him off the books more than we wanted to get an asset back and everybody suspected as much. His bonus structure made him less appealing to teams at or very close to the cap ceiling. He hasn't been all that good ect.

In the end, it's not a unexpected that Dorion couldn't get a pick back. I'd have been pleasantly surprised if he did tbh.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I laughed when I heard that.
Sounded as if he was a struggling young player, not an over the hill veteran who can't keep up anymore.
I don't think Burrows can really help his current play.

Lol I think Dorion is referring himself in the third person again.

It's like "I hope it serves as a wake up call (to me, because how could I have been so stupid to trade and extend him for 2.5 million dollars)."

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Does Oduya have anything left? Seems like he can still skate...?

Honestly, he looks totally fine for like 85% of the time he's out on the ice in any given situation.

That other 15% of the time though... whoo boy. It's like watching a drugged up mouse try to navigate a labyrinth.

Reactions: Deku

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
250K good deal for Flyer imo. Can he PK?
Again, I did not see too many Sens games this season so I can be way off.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Kind of.
He should be fine as a depth option.
Sens played him as a top pairing D :biglaugh:

Isn't it more the case that the organization didn't have anyone else who they thought was better to play with Karlsson? He has more experience than Claesson who I guess would be the other choice. I think the only other option would be to make a trade for one, but that costs assets & they would have to have sent back salary the other way that at least matches.

Reactions: pzeeman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->