Waived: Burrows, O'Brien and Oduya

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The Allsvenskan is a hockey league. It would be too to familiarize yourself with these things before commenting on players that play there.

I admit I've never heard of "The Allsvenskan", so I did a search and could only find that it is a Football league, so that's why I asked for some clarification.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Another fair comparison by you, well done.
So you're making comments about the league a player plays in and the impact it has on him as a prospect without even knowing anything about the league little lone the intricacies as to why Dahlen chose to play in that league rather than going for and SHL contract and I'm the one making unfair comparisons? You've managed to hit an all new level, congrats.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bummer, was hoping Burrows was a goner.

This technically gives us a bit of leverage with Burrows, as it relates to his 10-team no trade clause (pains me to write that) if a scenario comes about where another team wants to trade is an expiring bad contract in exchange for Burrows, who has another year.

"You can waive your clause and go play NHL hockey with this team on your list, or you can play the next year and a half in sunny, tropical Belleville. Your choice."

It's a long-shot, but I've seen crazier things in this league.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So no asset for Oduya, a 2020 third for Cole...
I like how this day is going

I guess a richer Sens team could have offered to pay those future bonuses to make the deal more attractive, essentially buying a pick. But that's not going to happen here.
Or just freaking pay him normally. Give him 1 year 2.5 M$, who cares? It's supposed to be peanuts for sports teams. We had the cap space. We always have cap space.

Reactions: DrEasy

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Love the Burrows waive.

But to get nothing for Oduya? Lol

Is there any info out there about why the Senators were not able to get anything for Oduya? I heard something about the way his contract was structured. Is there any further info?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is there any info out there about why the Senators were not able to get anything for Oduya? I heard something about the way his contract was structured. Is there any further info?

In the end, we just blinked first. Other teams know we're trying to unload any money we can, so if theres a soft market for a guy like Oduya where teams might be willing to give up a 5th or later for an insurance piece, but aren't upset if they don't get it, they just wait for us to inevitably put the player on waivers.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
In the end, we just blinked first. Other teams know we're trying to unload any money we can, so if theres a soft market for a guy like Oduya where teams might be willing to give up a 5th or later for an insurance piece, but aren't upset if they don't get it, they just wait for us to inevitably put the player on waivers.

Thanks for the feedback. I saw that Joe Morrow got a 4th and yet Oduya was waived and then picked up. It was a head scratcher but thought there was some kind of explanation for it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for the feedback. I saw that Joe Morrow got a 4th and yet Oduya was waived and then picked up. It was a head scratcher but thought there was some kind of explanation for it.
the struture of his contract probably limited the number of teams interested in him as well, as his bonuses would escalate the cost of his contract, and could cause a team to exceed the cap (and get a penalty on next year). There were likely a number of reasons, one of which being he hasn't been very good.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Even the mods are on the bitch train. We gave up nothing but cash for Oduya, so in the end we wanted to make sure he was off the roster by 3pm EST to free up a roster spot and be respectful to an NHL vet.

This wasn't a blink first Mick, damn you're hard to read these days (usually a favourite clinical poster). They had no interest from the league and so they made sure they placed him on waivers while they still had a chance. They already got whatever value Oduya had to offer and let him go.

Anything to attack management....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad