Waived: Burrows, O'Brien and Oduya

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I know nothing about the player the Sharks gave up for Hansen. I actually would have preferred Hansen to Burrows last year. Both guys are awful this year, but Hansen had 20 points in 43 games last year. Plus he’s younger.

Either way Burrows was worth a 3rd at most in my mind last year. He was no better than Stalberg, who returned a 3rd.

Right, and Burrows had 11pts in 20gp in the reg season, and 5pts in 15gp in the playoffs for us.

The guy San Jose gave up was a former first 1st rounder who now actually is playing Canucks.

The fact is, we paid what was going price for the market at the time.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Right, and Burrows had 11pts in 20gp in the reg season, and 5pts in 15gp in the playoffs for us.

The guy San Jose gave up was a former first 1st rounder who now actually is playing Canucks.

I disagree, but you’re entitled to your opinion.

Honest question, have you disliked any of Dorion’s moves so far?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
But is he in charge of their ice time, and who they play with?
No, he gets the players that the coach in turn uses.

If your GM gives you nobody capable of playing with your franchise player, the coach is forced to play Boro/Oduya/Claesson/Harpur with him.

It's a trickle down effect of not getting pieces needed for an NHL team.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Davidson, Kempny and Holden all returned 3rd round picks, and Jerabek returned a 5th round pick, and we couldn't even get a 7th for a veteran two-time cup winner in Oduya?

The incompetence continues.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Davidson, Kempny and Holden all returned 3rd round picks, and Jerabek returned a 5th round pick, and we couldn't even get a 7th for a veteran two-time cup winner in Oduya?

The incompetence continues.
The guy we played with our hall of fame d man, is now in waiver because not another single GM/ coach thinks he’s good enough

Reactions: Mr Hat and DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The reality is that half the board spins everything to the negative and is not worth reading at the moment, the other half looks to the positives and this infuriates those feeling negative about everything. I just don't think we can all play nice right now. Soon though :)

Was a good deadline pick that helped get us into the playoffs and a goal away from the finals, that was what we got for Dahlen. Like it or hate it (most seem to) that is what we got.

I'm done with caring or discussing this trade, and I'll offer condolences if Dahlen ever amounts to anything in the NHL, but there is something I do like here.

There are several posters who have come on here and accused the GM of inaction based on pride. That he has not traded, or gotten rid of guys based on the fact that he brought them in. Well, here is your proof, PD may have lost out long term on that trade, but he's man enough to admit that to himself and nip the problem in the bud instead of ride it out and make excuses.

Not every move is going to be a great one, but PD has shown to be a man of action, and a guy that isn't afraid to make the right moves at the expense of being endlessly vilified by fans around here. Love him or hate him, he's not sitting idle on the sidelines while the ship sinks.

These are good waiving, and part of the house cleaning going on. We;'re gonna see a bunch of kids here next year, and a bunch more kids graduate to the AHL.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
How many assets has this club wasted on dead ends?

You’d think a small market team would not waste assets and stockpile the depth as much as possible.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Management was apparently disgusted with Burrows incident a few weeks ago. Didn't like that around the young kids

...meanwhile countless Canuck fans are beseeching Jimbo to reacquire him to "mentor the kids". Maybe it's the water there...

Reactions: DJB
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
...meanwhile countless Canuck fans are beseeching Jimbo to reacquire him to "mentor the kids". Maybe it's the water there...

To be fair, Canucks fans also irrationally love the guy because of his dragon slaying moment.

I would be the same for Sens fans if a random grinder scored a Game 7 OT winner against the Leafs at one point.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We can trash the player for his play this year because its warranted, but there are many many sound bites out there from management/coaches/players of 2 organizations praising him as a person and as a leader, i think its fine to at least give him that since his skills are gone at this point.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Any veteran signed to a contract this time of year has to go through waivers. That's why Goulobef is on waivers today as well.

Why? What is the purpose of that rule?

If we call him up is he going to have to go through waivers again? The trade board says Anaheim signed Chris Kelly. Is he going to have to go through waivers?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I don't think Oduya was brought in to play the TOI he ultimately did. I think that was the result of primarily two guys, Claesson and Harpur, not moving forward

I think everybody here thought we'd get more out of both guys and we simply didn't. I think Dorion thought that too.
Oduya wasn't a better option given his ice time was he? Especially when the playoffs were no doubt out of reach

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Why? What is the purpose of that rule?

If we call him up is he going to have to go through waivers again? The trade board says Anaheim signed Chris Kelly. Is he going to have to go through waivers?

Don’t know if this is the true purpose, but it would seem to me that it prevents teams from burying veterans on their farm team that could possibly make another NHL team?

Reactions: thinkwild

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I wouldn’t be surprised if Erik requested JO as his partner, especially after the youth didn’t step up.
Lol, what youth are you talking about? Cleasson is what he is and Chabot is playing well. Also, Oduya was signed this offseason, how would we be able to judge if they stepped up?

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Lol, what youth are you talking about? Cleasson is what he is and Chabot is playing well.
Claesson. I couldn’t remember if they tried Harpur there too.

I’m not alone (even on this board) in thinking during the summer that one of those two could step up his game, especially after the playoffs

EDIT:
I don’t want to get into again, but especially after seeing Dorion’s words after the signing, it’s clear to me he was signed as a depth defenceman.

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

You are the ultimate revisionist.

No other team in their right mind would have given up what we did for Burrows. It was a bad trade at the time, it's even worse now.

Alex Burrows had like, 5-6 good games for us last year at the right time, but his production could have come from literally anyone else in the organisation. Had we acquired him for a 2nd, and not given him the extension like 99% of other GMs would have done, this wouldn't be an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad