Burrows Buyout

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Perhaps the rumours of the owner being super cheap are unfounded?

The team saves $833,333 (via capfriendly) by buying out his contract. How exactly does saving money trump the "rumours" of Melnyk being super cheap?

2018-19$2,500,000$2,500,000$833,333$1,666,667$2,500,000
2019-20$0$0$833,333-$833,333$0
TOTAL$2,500,000$2,500,000$1,666,667$833,333$2,500,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I read your post fine. Instead of blaming coaching and management you are saying EK's mere presence prevents the team from having a more solid/well-rounded defense. I'm saying that's plain wrong. There was no attempt to "misconstrue".

Nope.

mis·con·strue
verb
  1. interpret (something, especially a person's words or actions) wrongly.
You seem to think that I am accusing you of deliberately misconstruing the post. I am not.

And yes, EK’s presence contributed to the situation (like all the other variables) wherein the GM and coach failed to ice a proper d-corp. At no point did I write that it prevented the GM or coach from having a solid d-corp. It just made it easy for them to tread water while EK played a ridiculous amount of minutes.

EK’s play is a luxury that covers up the faults/limitations in the team.

It’s bizarre that this is a debate. I would expect that it’s just common accepted knowledge.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
How dare anyone criticize an objectively terrible move that was predicted as such at the time by almost everyone with even a little bit of hockey knowledge.

I forgot that everything the team does is wonderful and anyone who says otherwise is a bad fan.

Ahhhh, righteous indignation coupled with ownership of hockey knowledge...

Oh Hale, if only they'd give you a shot, life is so unfair...

Reactions: JD1

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
are you ready for Blunden to be an everyday nhl player.

Blunden won’t be re-signed, he was already let go. The poster obviously meant a prospect who played in the AHL... Nick Paul, Colin White, Filip Chlapik... gives the opportunity to a young player to graduate and grow with the team. Burrows is at the end of his (great) career and doesn’t have a future with the team anyway.

Opens up a roster spot for a prospect. Of course Mad Max McCormick is also on a 1-way contract.

I find it strange that people see McCormick contract as a problem... 1 year, 1 way at 650 000$... If it was a 2-way he would still make 200-250 000$ in the AHL

If he is used properly as the 13th forward it’s actually perfect. I’d rather have him play a few minutes a night and/or sit in the press box when everyone is healthy than a guy like Chlapik or White for example. Max is actually a decent depth forward who brings a lot of energy and can get under the opposition skin. Can even chip in a bit of offense. He’s actually the one replacing the role Burrows would have to play. So the Sens actually save a bit of money there, and the Burrows cost is budgeted on 2 years.

I understand his acquisition was a classic "win now" move to bring in some veteran playoff experience. Not saying I agree with it but I get the reasoning. What I'll never understand was that contract extension. But I guess kudos to PD for swallowing his pride and cleaning up one of his mistakes. Made room for a young guy / UFA in that spot now.

I think it’s pretty simple. Burrows didn’t want to come to Ottawa without a 2 years extension. He took advantage of the situation and that Dorion was stubborn in getting him, secured another few millions in his pockets.

Burrows had deteriorated before being acquired by the Senators. Trading Dahlen and giving a two year retirement contract was absolutely stupid.

Really? Were you following him on a regular basis in Vancouver? How come he was still producing high 3rd line numbers? How come everyone in BC (and Quebec) were (and are) still in love with him? How come he had 11 pts in 20 pts down the stretch with Ottawa and then a very respectable playoffs performance?

Maybe his last injury affected him, maybe age finally caught up to him but Larionov is absolutely right, he fell off a cliff last season (I have followed Burrows all his career, and well I even played against him before he was on the NHL radar). It’s important to realize how high the level in the NHL is, you lose a fraction of second and you are behind. A great example for me is Alex Kovalev, his shot release was deadly and when he lost that fraction of second, he became way less dangerous than he was.

I would think the months of bleating about Shane freaking Prince we all had to endure more than compensates.

:laugh: awesome

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Fantastic. Burrows was a black mark on the franchise. Historically cheap and dirty player. Biting, knees, hair pulling. Glad he'll never get a shot in the NHL again.

Shame on anyone who defended this trade and this player.

You think Bruins fans hate Brad Marchand and want him out of the NHL?

In the end Burrows had a very nice NHL career defying all odds and we don’t.

Who are we to judge? Oh wait... Shame on people who like him

Nah. There are a lot of people who need to be served their crow, especially those who wanna use the "the professionals know best argument" whenever some of us disagree.

And what crow exactly?

The thing is Dahlen could still not amount to much in the NHL and the Sens would « « win » this trade sigh

And before the « shame on you » to defend this trade; I disliked it right away and criticized it a lot. But there’s a big difference in the way I criticize and the way that some just bash players incessantly

Dahlen could retire right now and it would still be an AWFUL trade.

This doesn’t make sense at all. Maybe I’m too rational but even if you would qualify Burrows contribution during his tenure in Ottawa to be 0.00001, how is 0.00001 < 0 ???

How dare anyone criticize an objectively terrible move that was predicted as such at the time by almost everyone with even a little bit of hockey knowledge.

I forgot that everything the team does is wonderful and anyone who says otherwise is a bad fan.

I really don’t see a lot of people doing that... it’s more an exception than a rule frankly, but the « everyday whining » that many seem to affectionate is not as rare...

I could see somebody doing a remix of LMFAO song « everyday I’m shuffling », to « everyday I’m whining on HF Sens » lol

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
The team saves $833,333 (via capfriendly) by buying out his contract. How exactly does saving money trump the "rumours" of Melnyk being super cheap?

2018-19$2,500,000$2,500,000$833,333$1,666,667$2,500,000
2019-20$0$0$833,333-$833,333$0
TOTAL$2,500,000$2,500,000$1,666,667$833,333$2,500,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I like how when someone presents direct and irrefutable proof to Euge- I mean Count Dracula, he just sneaks out never to address it again.

Reactions: Deku

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
This doesn’t make sense at all. Maybe I’m too rational but even if you would qualify Burrows contribution during his tenure in Ottawa to be 0.00001, how is 0.00001 < 0 ???
Not to take away from the obvious fact that you're "too rational" and the rest of us are far from it, but maybe consider that Dahlen's potential at the time (and now he's of course merely top 5 or 6 on Vancouver's prospect lists) could have fetched a better player than Burrows, and so even if Dahlen busts completely today, the return could have been better.

Or instead, just think of dealing a 1st round (or 2nd round, whatever) pick to get Burrows (and include the very rational 2-yr extension, of course). Why does it matter if the pick doesn't amount to anything later on?

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Honestly, until the knee to the head incident, I didn't really care about Burrows, since he wasn't the reason we were a steaming pile of waste last season. But with that kneeing in mind, yeah, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, Alex. Or do, whatever.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Perhaps the rumours of the owner being super cheap are unfounded?

Man, you are just clinging to the thinnest of threads on that one, aren't you?

I'm halfway inclined to go root through the trash bins behind the CTC for scraps, knowing how willing you are to buy Melnyk's garbage. I could make a small fortune in one afternoon with a buyer like you.

Reactions: Deku and Alex1234

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Even if Dahlen busts, it's still a bad trade.

To put it a different way, Dahlen was worth a $20 bill. Burrows was worth a $10. If Benning takes that $20 and burns it, we still paid $20 for a $10.

We could've gotten something better than Burrows for that kid.

Reactions: DrEasy and Bileur

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Obviously it was a complete and utter failure of a trade on all fronts but glad this cost cutting measure actually helps the team, i assume a rookie will replace him so most importantly Euge can put an extra couple hundred k in his pockets next year!

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I like how when someone presents direct and irrefutable proof to Euge- I mean Count Dracula, he just sneaks out never to address it again.
On this one... not sure it really supports the "Melnyk is cheap" argument. We save 833,333 but lose a roster player. We likely replace from within with a cheap player, but the actual savings of that roster spot are negligible. It was about moving on from an older player, not saving money.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
On this one... not sure it really supports the "Melnyk is cheap" argument. We save 833,333 but lose a roster player. We likely replace from within with a cheap player, but the actual savings of that roster spot are negligible. It was about moving on from an older player, not saving money.

Im not sure if it was completely cost neutral the buyout would happen personally, i believe literally everything the man does in relation to the team is with one eye on the balance sheet.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Quite the opposite poor little thing.
Im replying to his 4th line goon comment with sarcasm but since you can’t read...
I dont even know why Im replying to you...
Put me on ignore or GTFO

That’s cute, I can read but sarcasm doesn’t make it okay.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Reasonable guess is Max Mccormick takes his spot - he makes $650,000 (which is min salary). So, yes, there is a $183,000 savings in that scenario. But hard to look at it in a vacuum I suppose, especially if we are doing major restructuring. Either way, I just don't see this as the impetus for this move. When asked, I'm sure Eug asked about the financial implications and quickly approved, but my $$ is on Dorion wanting to move on from an older player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad