Burrows Buyout

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Good news obviously. Seems to be a commitment to cleaning things up and getting things on the right track.

Of course makes you wish this trade never happened. Then again Dahlen could turn in to nothing. Still doesn’t change the fact he had value and could have returned something better.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I understand his acquisition was a classic "win now" move to bring in some veteran playoff experience. Not saying I agree with it but I get the reasoning. What I'll never understand was that contract extension. But I guess kudos to PD for swallowing his pride and cleaning up one of his mistakes. Made room for a young guy / UFA in that spot now.
It’s sad that a few other problems cannot be jettisoned as easily as Burrows.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
In fairness to Dorion, I don't think that anyone could have predicted how fast Burrows would deteriorate. Most guys age slowly, but Burrows just fell off a cliff last season. It was very similar to the way Craig Anderson just suddenly started looking old and slow seemingly overnight.

Regarding Burrows' extension, keep in mind that he had a NTC in Vancouver. The extension is what motivated him to waive it. Had Burrows hit free agency last summer someone would have signed him to a similar deal. As contract mistakes go, this one is pretty minor...

Burrows had deteriorated before being acquired by the Senators. Trading Dahlen and giving a two year retirement contract was absolutely stupid.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Let it go, man. We all feel the same way. No sense in the "i told you so" game now.

Like, would you rather him not be bought out so you can be even madder later on, or are you ok with your moderate level of mad now?

This seems like a cheap shot to me. Burrows was just bought out. People should be allowed to air their grievances today of all days no?

Reactions: Cosmix

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
While I agree that Karlsson is overused and needs to cover up a lot of deficiencies, it's hardly his fault. There's nothing that says we have to surround him with guys we can't depend on. It's not like the choice is between "6 dependable players" and "1 superstar and 5 scrubs", we absolutely could surround Karlsson with decent defensemen.

The sorry state of the defense is entirely on the long-term work of previous and current management who have for years and years been unable to construct a decent defense.

Not to mention that up until next year, EK is on one of the most team-friendly contracts in NHL history. There was literally no excuse other than cheapness and mismanagement to not surround EK with the proper elements. Not replacing Methot for example is one of Dorion/Melnyk's greatest failures.

I am amazed that someone made a case which partly blames Erik for this. :laugh:

Reactions: Cosmix

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Burrows had deteriorated before being acquired by the Senators. Trading Dahlen and giving a two year retirement contract was absolutely stupid.

Burrows was not worth a second round pick, that’s for sure, and that’s what Dahlen was. It’s funny how as soon as Dahlen left there were a lot of “well he’ll never amount to anything anyway” kind of posts. Funny how I never saw those until he was gone. If Dahlen turns out to be a good player, we will look back on this deal even more unfavourably than we do now.

Reactions: Bileur and Cosmix

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I would think the months of bleating about Shane freaking Prince we all had to endure more than compensates.

You mean the Shane Prince who was just made a UFA by the Islanders? That Shane Prince? ;-) Sorry, I get him and Puempel mixed up frequently...

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Dahlen could retire right now and it would still be an AWFUL trade.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
zebralionhug.jpg

Finally Dorion .. got one hug on the way in 15 on the way out

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Pls pls pls

I think they are still hopeful that Smith has some value, like maybe a third or fourth rounder.

It's also worth noting that not everything has to be done now. You can start the year with guys like Smith and Anderson here, hopefully get them off to a good start, then trade them...

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
What is the deal with Gaborik? When he gets healthy are we allowed to send him to the minors until we win the staring contest and he retires? Could a guy with probably $50M in the bank really live in Belleville and ride the buses for 3 years of his life.....especially if we only send him out to face 4th line goons? I know it's not really kosher, but for $12M in savings in cash, maybe Cheapo would even allow a reasonable defenseman to be signed, while tens of millions in expansion fees are still lining his frugal pockets.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think they are still hopeful that Smith has some value, like maybe a third or fourth rounder.

It's also worth noting that not everything has to be done now. You can start the year with guys like Smith and Anderson here, hopefully get them off to a good start, then trade them...

Oh absolutely, he should be traded for a pick obviously.

I think it should be done this summer for Smith.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
What is the deal with Gaborik? When he gets healthy are we allowed to send him to the minors until we win the staring contest and he retires? Could a guy with probably $50M in the bank really live in Belleville and ride the buses for 3 years of his life.....especially if we only send him out to face 4th line goons? I know it's not really kosher, but for $12M in savings in cash, maybe Cheapo would even allow a reasonable defenseman to be signed, while tens of millions in expansion fees are still lining his frugal pockets.
Time to call Sieloff up to take care of things here? I mean accidentally ...

Reactions: Samboni

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Only problem with that plan is that if we do well, we likely arent going to end up trading them.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I am amazed that someone made a case which partly blames Erik for this. :laugh:
Nice try. Go back and read the post.
I posted that EK is a generational talent and indirectly to blame for the state of the defence because his elite playmaking abilities allowed the GM to not ice a solid d-corps. EK played far too many minutes and covered up for deficiencies.

That is not at all “making a case which partly blames” EK. If that is what folks got from that, then my post is being misconstrued.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Nice try. Go back and read the post.
I posted that EK is a generational talent and indirectly to blame for the state of the defence because his elite playmaking abilities allowed the GM to not ice a solid d-corps. EK played far too many minutes and covered up for deficiencies.

That is not at all “making a case which partly blames” EK. If that is what folks got from that, then my post is being misconstrued.

I read your post fine. Instead of blaming coaching and management you are saying EK's mere presence prevents the team from having a more solid/well-rounded defense. I'm saying that's plain wrong. There was no attempt to "misconstrue".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad