Burrows Buyout

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
As someone who didn't mind the trade at the time, he was hopefully going to bring something to the table to get us possibly a cup, I mean, he was a pretty standard deadline acquisition that happens with a lot of teams.

I can fully admit I was wrong about it, although I think he actually played well in that playoff run (and lots of people disagree I know.) Last year though? He was abysmal in every facet of the game.

As far as the "someone else would have stepped up" comment, seems weird, I guess you can say that about anything really if you want to dismiss something? Overall, acquiring players at the deadline doesn't seem worth it in the end, especially if the mentality is if you don't win the cup because of it, its a waste of a trade, because it probably will be.
It's all about the journey, not the championships. That year was possibly the most I've ever enjoyed watching Senators hockey in like 25 years. Hard to care about a trade of a non blue chip prospect when you don't think you even get to the playoffs for that run without Burrows chipping in. You could even argue that if he hadn't have gotten injured, we might not have had to go to 3 lines to finish the Pitt series.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
If we had got to play Burrows over Chris Kelly in game seven we would have beaten Pittsburgh last year.

Sad he'll be judged as a failure in Ottawa, because he was pretty good down that stretch run. Last season was abysmal for everyone. Hopefully he ends up on a contender as a 14th forward. (So we have the upper hand in the playoffs:))

Reactions: Gesus
Oct 31, 2011
Ottawa
celebration-celebrate-001-512.png

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
As much as it pains me to say it, Karlsson may indirectly be a bit to blame.
He is a generational talent and I love him as a player. But he is overused and covers up too many weaknesses elsewhere.
I would much rather have 6 guys that I can depend on night in, night out than 1 superstar and 5 guys who can sort of kill time until EK gets back on the ice. Which is sort of what has happened.
Just IMHO, but if you could have a defence made up of solid middle pairing dmen, who could all play 20 minutes and played a reliable, simple game, who could move the puck up to the forwards, that would really help the offence.
Right now, we have one player who does whatever he wants, (let's face it, because he can), and the rest of the defence is a bit of an afterthought.

If the D was built better then we could have a superstar and a 2nd and 3rd pairing that could hold their own and push play up ice with him on the bench. It's not his fault that the only other guy (until Chabot last season) that could move the puck well since Gonchar left was Wideman.

Last edited:
Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Bye bye. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. Won't be missed.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Fantastic. Burrows was a black mark on the franchise. Historically cheap and dirty player. Biting, knees, hair pulling. Glad he'll never get a shot in the NHL again.

Shame on anyone who defended this trade and this player.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Well this was about a year and a half too late. How in the heck did anyone think that was a good idea to trade Dahlen for Burrows? Please don't give me this crap about his assists last year in the playoffs, someone else would've stepped up.

Let it go, man. We all feel the same way. No sense in the "i told you so" game now.

Like, would you rather him not be bought out so you can be even madder later on, or are you ok with your moderate level of mad now?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Let it go, man. We all feel the same way. No sense in the "i told you so" game now.

Like, would you rather him not be bought out so you can be even madder later on, or are you ok with your moderate level of mad now?
Nah. There are a lot of people who need to be served their crow, especially those who wanna use the "the professionals know best argument" whenever some of us disagree.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Sad when solid players get older, hopefully someone picks him up, a class act and an overall team first kind of guy. Would be nice to see a contender gives him a shot

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
What if this means that the new owners are okaying the buyouts?

I can't get my hopes up again.

Reactions: Silencio

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast

I'm fairly content with my moderate level at the moment. You're right though, time to move on, i get the point.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Alex Burrows is a very nice person and he had a really solid career. It's just too bad that the Senators are consistently unable to understand the ageing process when acquiring players and handing out contracts.

Reactions: Gesus

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Feels more like an easy PR move than actually doing something to improve the team.

Nonetheless, I'm glad he's gone and a spot is open for a younger, faster player.

Reactions: Cosmix

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Fantastic. Burrows was a black mark on the franchise. Historically cheap and dirty player. Biting, knees, hair pulling. Glad he'll never get a shot in the NHL again.

Shame on anyone who defended this trade and this player.

Ok, but what can you do? If your team acquires a player you don’t like are you going to stop cheering for them? I wanted Burrows to do well when he was here, just like any Sens player. The trade and extension was brutal. Gave up too much and there’s no way he deserved a two year extension.

Reactions: Cosmix

megalomania

Sep 29, 2010
Switzerland
As much as it pains me to say it, Karlsson may indirectly be a bit to blame.
He is a generational talent and I love him as a player. But he is overused and covers up too many weaknesses elsewhere.
I would much rather have 6 guys that I can depend on night in, night out than 1 superstar and 5 guys who can sort of kill time until EK gets back on the ice. Which is sort of what has happened.
Just IMHO, but if you could have a defence made up of solid middle pairing dmen, who could all play 20 minutes and played a reliable, simple game, who could move the puck up to the forwards, that would really help the offence.
Right now, we have one player who does whatever he wants, (let's face it, because he can), and the rest of the defence is a bit of an afterthought.

While I agree that Karlsson is overused and needs to cover up a lot of deficiencies, it's hardly his fault. There's nothing that says we have to surround him with guys we can't depend on. It's not like the choice is between "6 dependable players" and "1 superstar and 5 scrubs", we absolutely could surround Karlsson with decent defensemen.

The sorry state of the defense is entirely on the long-term work of previous and current management who have for years and years been unable to construct a decent defense.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I understand his acquisition was a classic "win now" move to bring in some veteran playoff experience. Not saying I agree with it but I get the reasoning. What I'll never understand was that contract extension. But I guess kudos to PD for swallowing his pride and cleaning up one of his mistakes. Made room for a young guy / UFA in that spot now.

Reactions: Alex1234

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Solid draft, Wideman signing, Burrows buyout...if Alfie makes the HoF today I'd say the Sens are on a nice little positive run. At least until Melnyk opens his mouth again.

FWIW, I still respect the Burrows trade as a deadline gamble that almost paid off with a Cup finals berth. Dorion has a lot to answer for but I can't fault him for going all in.

Going all in is definitely not trading for Burrows and giving him a two year retirement deal.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In fairness to Dorion, I don't think that anyone could have predicted how fast Burrows would deteriorate. Most guys age slowly, but Burrows just fell off a cliff last season. It was very similar to the way Craig Anderson just suddenly started looking old and slow seemingly overnight.

Regarding Burrows' extension, keep in mind that he had a NTC in Vancouver. The extension is what motivated him to waive it. Had Burrows hit free agency last summer someone would have signed him to a similar deal. As contract mistakes go, this one is pretty minor...

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad