Burrows Buyout

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Smart thing to do is flip Beodker for a young D prospect or a young defenseman. We need to go young next year and build this team from defense and up. Our defense core is just atrocious, and no one seems to care.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
When you add a replacement player it's a small saving this coming year which they will lose the next year but it creates a roster spot for a better or at least a younger player and that's a positive. Good move imo.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Smart thing to do is flip Beodker for a young D prospect or a young defenseman. We need to go young next year and build this team from defense and up. Our defense core is just atrocious, and no one seems to care.

As much as it pains me to say it, Karlsson may indirectly be a bit to blame.
He is a generational talent and I love him as a player. But he is overused and covers up too many weaknesses elsewhere.
I would much rather have 6 guys that I can depend on night in, night out than 1 superstar and 5 guys who can sort of kill time until EK gets back on the ice. Which is sort of what has happened.
Just IMHO, but if you could have a defence made up of solid middle pairing dmen, who could all play 20 minutes and played a reliable, simple game, who could move the puck up to the forwards, that would really help the offence.
Right now, we have one player who does whatever he wants, (let's face it, because he can), and the rest of the defence is a bit of an afterthought.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Solid draft, Wideman signing, Burrows buyout...if Alfie makes the HoF today I'd say the Sens are on a nice little positive run. At least until Melnyk opens his mouth again.

FWIW, I still respect the Burrows trade as a deadline gamble that almost paid off with a Cup finals berth. Dorion has a lot to answer for but I can't fault him for going all in.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
As much as it pains me to say it, Karlsson may indirectly be a bit to blame.
He is a generational talent and I love him as a player. But he is overused and covers up too many weaknesses elsewhere.
I would much rather have 6 guys that I can depend on night in, night out than 1 superstar and 5 guys who can sort of kill time until EK gets back on the ice. Which is sort of what has happened.
Just IMHO, but if you could have a defence made up of solid middle pairing dmen, who could all play 20 minutes and played a reliable, simple game, who could move the puck up to the forwards, that would really help the offence.
Right now, we have one player who does whatever he wants, (let's face it, because he can), and the rest of the defence is a bit of an afterthought.
And if he gets re-signed that will continue because there won't be enough money to go around & improve the defence. They will continue to use the players have in their org & hope a couple of them turn out & stick.

It's a very difficult decision as to what to do with EK. Do they trade him & hope to get a great return that may help fix a number of problems they have with the roster? Or re-sign him & deal with the money problems associated with one player making so much more than anyone else on the team & not having extra cash to improve the team.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Its about opening a spot for a player that was in the AHL this past season. Not for a UFA signing.

It maybe an indication that they may hold onto Gaborik, IR or not, for the season at least. Can't see him buy out both.

Opens up a roster spot for a prospect. Of course Mad Max McCormick is also on a 1-way contract.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

Not exactly true. They still have to pay about the same money to someone taking his spot.
It does help reach the cap floor though. With Burrows' contract being 35+ his bought out contract still counts against cap at full value. Plus someone taking his spot adds to the cap hit total.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It maybe an indication that they may hold onto Gaborik, IR or not, for the season at least. Can't see him buy out both.

Opens up a roster spot for a prospect.

Gaborik is going on LTIR book it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad