Burke out - Good or Bad?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Better questions; why hasnt Ron Wilson said anything yet? lol

Ron Wilson is also still on contract. Those two won't talk until their pay cheques stop coming in from MLSE and even then they won't say much.

If they attack the owners, even if they have good reason, it'll make every owner think 10 times before hiring either of them.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Ron Wilson is also still on contract. Those two won't talk until their pay cheques stop coming in from MLSE and even then they won't say much.

If they attack the owners, even if they have good reason, it'll make every owner think 10 times before hiring either of them.

Wilson has no reason to spew venom at anyone. Coaches get fired all the time. I don't see anything special about his firing.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
I imagine he had to sign some type of confidentiality document or he wouldn't receive the rest of his money.

exactly as to why he was named senior advisor, what i would like to see is some rich person or group create a primetime 1 hour show interviewing brian burke and paying him the remainder of his salary to just "unleash" everything he has to say about MLSE :laugh: hmm now what tv stations are not owned by bell or rogers? :laugh:

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
Nonis is saying he's going to be patient and doesn't have the stated goal of making the playoffs as the be all and end all of it. Perhaps you're right though, that mission statement mostly looks the same. The only difference we'll see is if Nonis actually does build from the net, get bigger down the middle and take a patient approach to building. If he doesn't, he's the next guy we fire.

This season should be interesting.

And I'm not opposed to that, just as I wasn't opposed to that being the Burke mandate (even if I do think he pissed away one, possibly two seasons trying to jump start it, though with the transactions he made I think we'd have roughly the same prospect pool/roster situation if we'd not done the Kessel trade, which was the only long-term asset costly deal). My issue is entirely with the way the ownership group handled this situation. That's what's worrisome to me.

MapleLeafGardens*

Nonis said on HC@Noon that he's not interested in rebranding to Dave's Dog House! lol

400px-Burkesdoghouse.jpg

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
It is good.

His mistakes are too many to count.We are still missing 3 major pieces.A number one center,a number one dman(Phaneuff isn't the guy) and solid goaltending.His record screamed fire me and he shouldn't have gotten the attention he did considering the terrible job he did.Four years and we are worse..bottom line.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nonis said on HC@Noon that he's not interested in rebranding to Dave's Dog House! lol

400px-Burkesdoghouse.jpg

Those Dogs were the best reason to go to a game the last few years. Right outside my gate last year, they will be missed.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I am irate at MLSE!!!!!!!!!!! How do they fire a guy who helped craft this new CBA!!!!!!!!

I bet that they were negotiating his contract extension and Burke wanted 5 years and MLSE would only give him 2 or 3 years... Then it got ugly and they decided to axe him...

So Fing stupid!!!! We are going to regret this move for decades....

Really? Decades?? :shakehead

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Burke deserved this but I'm not necessarily happy about it (I don't know anyone at would be). It just shows what a mess we have been for as long as I can remember

I agree 100% with this! The firing I felt had to be done, lets face it Burke has had four very stinkworthy years here and it was time the team went in a different direction. The timing was lousy, I mean really the team is just about to start training camp/regular season and now they have to deal with their GM (who has been very loyal to his guys) being canned and you just know that the media will hound the players relentlessly about the firing, it will just add more fuel to the chatoic fire and serve as an extra distraction.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
His mistakes are too many to count.We are still missing 3 major pieces.A number one center,a number one dman(Phaneuff isn't the guy) and solid goaltending.His record screamed fire me and he shouldn't have gotten the attention he did considering the terrible job he did.Four years and we are worse..bottom line.

To be fair a #1 centre is so hard to acquire, no team is just going to trade their #1 stud, very few of them make it to free agency which leaves the best and only way to acquire one is by draft and even then its a crap shoot. Phaneuf IS a top pairing defencmen, and on most teams (except Boston) he'd be a top pairing guy on the roster, sure he's not a Chara or Pronger but he's still a darn good player.

Your right about the goaltending, he has never been able to get the right guy and that is all on Burkes head.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Not answering any questions I see. I'll answer one more of yours. Yes, I do believe it's possible as evidenced by other teams in the league. Would I give a GM more time to build their team? Yes, however Burkes own plan said that it wouldn't take that long. Burke made his bed and now he has to sleep in it.

If the Leafs had been in the playoffs at least once in Burkes tenure does he fired yesterday?

I didn't answer the question because there's no way to know. Depending on how offended certain members of the boards got, maybe anything short of being a contender wouldn't have saved his job. The Leafs have been a few wins away from 8th spot a few times over the last 4 seasons. I don't believe squeaking in at 8th spot would have been enough for the board to change their mind.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Bruins fan, i come in peace.

Burke biggest mistake was to try to shortcut the process of rebuilding. In that regard, the Kessel trade is something that hurt, now, because the team wasn't able to draft young and controllable players. That said, it's easy to second guess Burke when you look at the final result: Boston got Seguin, Hamilton and knight but... we all have to remember that prospects are suspects until they prove you wrong. More then that, there was absolutely no way to determine what would have been Toronto's pick at the time of the trade. The Leafs got a young goal scorer for prospects. It's my understanding that a TON of GM would do that kind of trade if they have the opportunity to do so. Maybe Burke though that his team was better then they actually were.

Last edited:

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I won't vote, because I don't think it's a yes/no question.

I was against hiring BB since the first rumor of him coming to Toronto. I followed the Canucks a bit back when he was their GM and was never much of a fan of the style of defensemen or centers he prefered in his teams and my views on that has not changed. However, not all of his moves in Toronto are bad. On average, I think he has done a decent job, at least when it comes to acquiring a number of good young players. However, a lot of them are complementary players and not players you build a core around.. But Reilly shows real promise. I would have preferred for BB to stay until there was a clear cut equal or better alternative out there to replace him. That said, Nonis is a pretty competent GM, he'll do a decent job.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Bruins fan, i come in peace.

Burke biggest mistake was to try to shortcut the process of rebuilding. In that regard, the Kessel trade is something that hurt, now, because the team wasn't able to draft young and controllable players. That said, it's easy to second guess Burke when you look at the final result: Boston got Seguin, Hamilton and knight but... we all to remember that prospects are suspects until they prove you wrong. More then that, there was absolutely no way to determine what would have been Toronto's pick at the time of the trade. The Leafs got a young goal scorer for prospects. It's my understanding that a TON of GM would do that kind of trade if they have the opportunity to do so. Maybe Burke though that his team was better then they actually were.

And all of that was irrelevant in yesterday's decision.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
If they replace him with Nonis ... :laugh: Nonis = worst GM in Canucks history
I wouldn't call Nonis the worst GM, he got us Cory Schneider, Alex Edler, Janick Hansen, Mason Raymond and Roberto Luongo!

He is still bad at drafting and signing players though.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
What other teams were as bad off as the Leafs, when Burke took over, that made the playoffs within 3 1/2 years?

What about Florida after 10 years of failing of making the playoffs and Dale Tallon?

Replace "look" by "year" in the following clip...

And then you'll be singing...

Your song for me:

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Really? They all had a group of 5 players with NTC, NMC's that refused to waive them? They had a previous GM that was nothing but a puppet for their owners with a mandate to make the playoffs no matter the cost? They all had little to no prospects from previous managements that traded all their assets away for immediate help? They all had a team void of any real talent in order to kick start the rebuilding process. All of those teams had all of those problems and solved them in 3 1/2 years and have gone on to be perrenial cup contenders? My apologies, I guess it's a piece of cake and every GM should be able to do it.

:laugh:

You're reminding me of a manager in Public Service who'll have his HR guys draft requirements so that the position is filled by the person he has in mind and no one else...

You're funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad