Burke out - Good or Bad?

LeaffanDM

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
I am tired of fans and the media throwing burke under the bus like he did nothing for this franchise. you all need to give your heads a good shake. hes done quite a bit in 4 years considering he had absolutely nothing to work with when he started. yeah his record was garbola, but do you really expect a winning team while retooling the whole franchise. and at the state the league was in the last couple years with ridiculous money being throw around. burke wasnt just rebuilding a team. he was trying to repair garbage reputation left by others. the fact is, its hard to make a winning team when the players needed to get this team to win are too young and dont want to play here.

and thats the fact that alot of media and obviously leaf brass and fans don't get. Players dont want to play here. and thats going to be the key to make this team sucessful in the future. Nonis has to continue drafting smart for the future especially this year. and find a way to make playing for the maple leafs more attractive. when that happens, the team will start to turn the corner. Burke's firing has nothing to do with his knowledge of hockey or how he was building the team. it had everything to do with personal issues with new management and them wanting to call the shots from now on and i think thats a sad thing for us fans. because management doesnt have the fans interests at heart here. they dont give a flying rat what the product looks like on ice, or care about the value of a GM etc. I am just glad we still have nonis or this franchise would really be in for a fall.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
I am tired of fans and the media throwing burke under the bus like he did nothing for this franchise. you all need to give your heads a good shake. hes done quite a bit in 4 years considering he had absolutely nothing to work with when he started. yeah his record was garbola, but do you really expect a winning team while retooling the whole franchise. and at the state the league was in the last couple years with ridiculous money being throw around. burke wasnt just rebuilding a team. he was trying to repair garbage reputation left by others. the fact is, its hard to make a winning team when the players needed to get this team to win are too young and dont want to play here.

and thats the fact that alot of media and obviously leaf brass and fans don't get. Players dont want to play here. and thats going to be the key to make this team sucessful in the future. Nonis has to continue drafting smart for the future especially this year. and find a way to make playing for the maple leafs more attractive. when that happens, the team will start to turn the corner. Burke's firing has nothing to do with his knowledge of hockey or how he was building the team. it had everything to do with personal issues with new management and them wanting to call the shots from now on and i think thats a sad thing for us fans. because management doesnt have the fans interests at heart here. they dont give a flying rat what the product looks like on ice, or care about the value of a GM etc. I am just glad we still have nonis or this franchise would really be in for a fall.

Other GM's have inherited awful teams in the past and have managed to get them to playoffs within four years.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
We should be so thankful...

We finished 5th last.We should thank the high heavens we gave 2 first rounders to a divisional rival.The owners should thank the high heavens he wasted untold millions on garbage players.What do we have to show for 4 years of terrible hockey,Reilly,something anyone could have done.

No number one center,Phaneuff as captain and Reimer in goal,a guy he didn't even draft.Give me four top 5 picks and I will come up with far more.We missed the playoffs 4 years running and ended up worse than where we started,how is that success? Oh, you mean Boston?

LeaffanDM

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Other GM's have inherited awful teams in the past and have managed to get them to playoffs within four years.

this team isnt other teams. every other team has their own set of circumstances. and time frames. some have pieces already there, some just throw money at the issue and players sign but thats the difference here. we had nothing to start with. nothing. no decent prospects, a bunch of old guys who wouldnt waive their NMCs when cliff took over etc. the leafs franchise is in a state of peril right now and have been for quite some time. we have tons of money but its not enough to get big players to want to play here.

this team would probably be pretty great right now if there were decent free agents that wanted to sign here, we would have a nice mix of younger and vet players but thats the issue this team has right now is to repair that reputation of being a good place to play and to me, thats not burkes fault. yeah he made mistakes like any other GM but to me, he was still early in this process and ufa etc wasnt exactly easy the last couple years either. and i think he was robbed short of really putting his mark on this team. he set himself up pretty good for this years UFAs and cap and could of done some pretty good things this summer. the team on the ice isnt a true picture of all his work for this team.most of that work you wont see for a few years yet.coming out and saying that burke did nothing for us is just ludacris and ignorant.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
this team would probably be pretty great right now if there were decent free agents that wanted to sign here, we would have a nice mix of younger and vet players but thats the issue this team has right now is to repair that reputation of being a good place to play

Something Burke never fixed in his four years here. Look I like many of the trades Burke did, but no playoffs in four years when he basically had a fresh start to create his own team is inexcusable. We weren't even ever CLOSE to the playoffs in four years. The goaltending situation was never fixed in four years and that does fall on Burke.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
i think it was time and neither good or bad.

he made some really great moves at the helm. he made some UFA blunders too.

but overall thanks for all the laughs Burke, gonna miss the soundbites.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
I am going to make a BOLD statement!

Brian Burke will one day be GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs again.

"you don't know what ya got till its gone..."

Oiffub

Matthews > McDavid don't @ me
Mar 16, 2010
ACC
I am going to make a BOLD statement!

Brian Burke will one day be GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs again.

"you don't know what ya got till its gone..."

As long as Bell has ownership with the team this will never happen.

Oiffub

Matthews > McDavid don't @ me
Mar 16, 2010
ACC
It saddens me that people put more attention on the subtraction of Seguin more thn the addition of Gardiner.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Because Gardiner isnt that good.

Isn't that good? Sorry pal but facts state otherwise, lets review

1. He cracked the lineup right out of camp which meant Wilson thought he deserved to be on the team.

2. He put up 30 points in 73 games, most of them came in the 2nd half when the team was in a tailspin, pretty impressive for a 21 year old defencemen.

3. Both Wilson AND Carlyle gave him top 4 D pairing minutes, these guys know a lot more about hockey then you or I know, I think their opinion trumps yours

4. Big bodied defencemen usually take longer to develop, the fact Gardiner was able to not just make the team but to keep his spot for the entire season speaks volumes.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Isn't that good? Sorry pal but facts state otherwise, lets review

1. He cracked the lineup right out of camp which meant Wilson thought he deserved to be on the team.

2. He put up 30 points in 73 games, most of them came in the 2nd half when the team was in a tailspin, pretty impressive for a 21 year old defencemen.

3. Both Wilson AND Carlyle gave him top 4 D pairing minutes, these guys know a lot more about hockey then you or I know, I think their opinion trumps yours

4. Big bodied defencemen usually take longer to develop, the fact Gardiner was able to not just make the team but to keep his spot for the entire season speaks volumes.

I'll wait for him to prove he can play defence before I start crowning him as anything more than a future first pairing powerplay defenceman.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I'll wait for him to prove he can play defence before I start crowning him as anything more than a future first pairing powerplay defenceman.

Well Carlyle is a stickler for defence yet he gave Gardiner loads of minutes, that should tell you Gardiner isnt bad in his own end.

DaveT83*

It saddens me that people put more attention on the subtraction of Seguin more thn the addition of Gardiner.

One is an All-Star at the age of 19
One led his COMPETITIVE TEAM in scoring
One was among league leaders in +/-
One has already scored BIG GOALS in BIG GAMES and almost single-handedly won a playoff series.
One already has a Stanley Cup - understands what it takes to win.

The other beat out MIKE KOMI/Keith Aulie and cracked the WORST DEFENSIVE TEAM IN ENTIRE NHL as a Rookie.

I'm all for Gardner - Love the kid - Think he's a stud - but Sequin >>>>>> owns him.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
One has already scored BIG GOALS in BIG GAMES and almost single-handedly won a playoff series.

The other beat out MIKE KOMI/Keith Aulie and cracked the WORST DEFENSIVE TEAM IN ENTIRE NHL as a Rookie.

I'm all for Gardner - Love the kid - Think he's a stud - but Sequin >>>>>> owns him.

Pfttt... Get out of here with your silly logic and reason. :)

Apr 1, 2010

YA and they usually had 1 or 2 blue chippers in the system and a top 5 pick that summer.

This team was completely screwed.
BUrke even got one last kick in the nuts as Fletcher sold Steen and COli for stempniak.

Useless player for a D-man that could have gotten a 2nd in return for some one and the player who would be our #1 Center going into the last 3 seasons.

That deal killed Burke more than KESSEL or the entire JFJ tenure, (Sans Muskoka 5). That one last attempt at glory by trader Cliff doomed Burke.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Not sure why Seguin and Gardiner are even being debated.

Simple fact is this:

If Gardiner continues to develop and improve the way the organization and fans hope he can, then he will represent one of Burke's best decisions upon reflection of his tenure.

Tyler Seguin however, will go down as his worst decision.

End of story.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
YA and they usually had 1 or 2 blue chippers in the system and a top 5 pick that summer.

This team was completely screwed.
BUrke even got one last kick in the nuts as Fletcher sold Steen and COli for stempniak.

Useless player for a D-man that could have gotten a 2nd in return for some one and the player who would be our #1 Center going into the last 3 seasons.

That deal killed Burke more than KESSEL or the entire JFJ tenure, (Sans Muskoka 5). That one last attempt at glory by trader Cliff doomed Burke.

So Burke was finished before he even started huh? Now I've heard everything.

Apr 1, 2010

Typical.

GO straight off point.

No need to look objectively at the point he was trying to make. JUst take it out of context and write a freaking essay on it.

Ya it is a damn shame people focus so much on the negative of not drafting Seguin while ignoring the positive of grabbing a gem like Gards to go with Lupul.

BUt no lets go sideways and compare the two players.

Can you try not to twist what is said so much?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad