Burke out - Good or Bad?

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
To Toronto: 2011 1st round pick (#22 - Tyler Biggs)

To Anaheim: 2011 1st round pick (#30 - Rickard Rakell), 2011 2nd round pick (#39 - John Gibson) Watching Gibson play in the World Jr's was enough to make me sick!/QUOTE]

I wonder if those are the players Burke would have picked in the 30 and 39 slots...

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
So what exactly did Burke do that made you like him so much?

What does it matter? He's gone now and things are gonna change!! Woohoo!

The team is owned by Rogers now and they care a lot you know... You can tell by all the playoff appearances and titles the Jays have won....

Burke was gonna sell the farm for Luongo because of some mystical pattern of selling youth for aging veterans with terrible contracts. Not Nonis though, he is 100% different...

Man, if Leaf Nation wasn't delusional before, they've gone over the edge now.

Me? I have no idea what is going to happen now. I hope beyond hope that this team is allowed to continue to grow. I don't have a lot of faith in that though...

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
To Toronto: 2011 1st round pick (#22 - Tyler Biggs)

To Anaheim: 2011 1st round pick (#30 - Rickard Rakell), 2011 2nd round pick (#39 - John Gibson) Watching Gibson play in the World Jr's was enough to make me sick!/QUOTE]

I wonder if those are the players Burke would have picked in the 30 and 39 slots...

So is Gibson the new Knight?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The downside of a Burke firing for Leaf Nation is that the gravy train of expected high draft picks to secure players like Morgan Rielly has dried up, and with that the future prospect pool strengthening opportunity that came as a result.

The days of bottom 5 finishes are likely behind us, with better team results expected ahead by this GM change and his moves designed to improve the team in the standings, by filling team needs and removing dead weight.

Its the one thing Tank/Draft Nation could set their clocks by, unless of course those picks were dealt away by the GM for immediate help due to impatience. The logic behind a bottom 10 team trading away multiple to top 10 1st round draft picks in order to finish in the bottom 5 overall is something no other NHL franchise base was faced with accepting as progress.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Other GM's have inherited awful teams in the past and have managed to get them to playoffs within four years.

Can you provide 4 or 5 examples that include the GM, the year they took over, and state of the team they inherited?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
How is He going make sure, Did miss something .... Whats Anselmi Hockey Knowledge ?

This Anselmi seems alot like Peddie and do you remember those days??? I Do selling off prospects & picks just to get into the playoffs (for Playoff revenue):cry::cry::cry::baghead::baghead:

I pray it does not turn into those days again... (of course i am going to give them a chance though. Hopefully they Build it right this time )

And this article http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413255

Sum ups leafs .. ITS HARD TO SALLOW but its SO TRUE

Its an interesting article with some good points, but the guy writing does realize that Toronto hasn't sucked for 47 years? That the team was rebuilt into a competitive team several times? I'm 25 and I've watched some good Leaf teams.

Having a good team and winning the cup are two very different things.

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
Its an interesting article with some good points, but the guy writing does realize that Toronto hasn't sucked for 47 years? That the team was rebuilt into a competitive team several times? I'm 25 and I've watched some good Leaf teams.

Having a good team and winning the cup are two very different things.

Yea the article didnt list the years under Pat but sill overall the article was right about drafting and the impatience of the owners/gm of the leafs

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yea the article didnt list the years under Pat but sill overall the article was right about drafting and the impatience of the owners/gm of the leafs

"Draft Schmaft" has been around a long time in Toronto and impatience in the GM dealing picks and prospects for instant help has been well established as our downfall.

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
"Draft Schmaft" has been around a long time in Toronto and impatience in the GM dealing picks and prospects for instant help has been well established as our downfall.

YUP :nod::nod: I hope under new owners it will change :D (not holding my breath thought:laugh:)

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Had some time to digest the firing...still hate it. On the positive side I think it improves our chances at another high draft pick.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

Except for with Burke. Unless you include the Kessel deal which isn't close to the same thing because Kessel was only 3 years removed from being drafted, not 3 years from retiring.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
A donut and a coffee with that? :)

Tallon, 2011, Florida out of the playoffs for 10 years in a row...

Hey, the op claimed its happened many times, just asking him to provide some examples.

I've already heard the florida story many times, (chuckled to see them behind the leafs on the tsn power rankings today) was curious on some the "many" others.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
I don't think it's a good sign for the new ownership. Who the hell fires the g.m 1 week before the season is about to start. It reeks of a dysfunctional franchise. You just don't do that, not now.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Hey, the op claimed its happened many times, just asking him to provide some examples.

I've already heard the florida story many times, (chuckled to see them behind the leafs on the tsn power rankings today) was curious on some the "many" others.

You should really do your own research if you're trying to refute something. You can't ask your opponent to make your case for you while debating.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
what is the big deal about the timing?! they had made their minds up that they didn't want to go forward with Burke. so why let him be in charge for the deadline and for the season, making decisions when you will put Nonis in anyway???

It was the correct move that came about because of new ownership.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Thought the hf board posters would be happy that Burke is gone. I remember countless Burke bashing threads after last season.

Disgruntled Observer*

Can you provide 4 or 5 examples that include the GM, the year they took over, and state of the team they inherited?

What's the point?
You'll just use rhetoric and spin to claim that the leafs were a worse team four years ago.

Burke "rebuilt" this team for almost four years.
The team Burke inherited finished higher in the standings, had higher rated prospects (according to professional nhl scouts), and had a marlies team that were substantially better in the regular season (albeit winning one less game in the playoffs).

After four years, shouldn't SOMETHING have improved?

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Even though I dont like the fact that BB was fired, I found couple of good things in this situation. I dont know if anybody mentioned this, but now remaining members of LACK could be easily demoted/traded without fear as they were not signed by Nonis and FAs would not see Leafs as organization that treats FAs unfairly.

I think Connolly could find new home, same with Komi.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What's the point?
You'll just use rhetoric and spin to claim that the leafs were a worse team four years ago.

Burke "rebuilt" this team for almost four years.
The team Burke inherited finished higher in the standings, had higher rated prospects (according to professional nhl scouts), and had a marlies team that were substantially better in the regular season (albeit winning one less game in the playoffs).

After four years, shouldn't SOMETHING have improved?

Apparently the hotdogs did

THHT

Oct 29, 2009
Timing is awful, but at least Burke is staying on and fulfilling some sort of advisory role.

Got to love Nonis' nervousness during the conference, being given his buddy's place for the second time in a decade. A little reluctant?

I'd expect the Leafs to do a bit better than last season with the players we have now (barring trades) coalescing under a new defensive style via Carlyle that will help fill some holes and especially through a shortened season which can only benefit the Leafs, so head office/Bell/Rogers can now take "credit" for any positives that come out of 2013 as some sort of vague correlation to the 'repositioning' of Burke, which everyone and their dog is going to remember now as the thing that started the shortened-season-where-the-Leafs-showed-improvement.

Okay. Maybe not so much that last part. Can never know for sure though. It would explain the horrible timing.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I like that Nonis is more cautious in his approach as opposed to Burke. There are certainly times where you need to be aggressive to put your team over the hump, but the Leafs are clearly not at that stage. What this team needs to do is continue stockpiling draft picks and continue adding more young talent. Hopefully that's what Nonis will do, and MLSE keeps their nose out of hockey operations.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Thought the hf board posters would be happy that Burke is gone. I remember countless Burke bashing threads after last season.

The very vocal minority who have been bashing Burke for years are still bashing Burke. They're content for a moment, because they believe that everything will magically change all of a sudden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad