Burke out - Good or Bad?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
After Tyler Seguin was drafted he should have been fired...let's be frank here....he basically gambled away the future of the team.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I didn't think the new owners would have the balls to do this so fast. Great news for the Leafs.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Rotton timing regardless of if it is good or bad. There better be a good reason...if it is Luongo that is a BAD reason.

Wilma

Sep 4, 2006
This timing is just so, so odd.

Why must we always be such a circus?

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
If they replace him with Nonis ... :laugh: Nonis = worst GM in Canucks history

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Probably a good thing because let's be honest he wasn't the right GM for us. But it's horrible timing and if the only reason we fired him was to trade for Luongo then it was a crap decision.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
JFJ firing was the best move this team has made in the past 20 years....

EDIT: Give me another choice which is makes sense but HORRID timing.

What makes this move bad is that right now, JFJ is THE BEST option available as a replacement GM, unless they're going off-the-board...

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Horrible timing. Is it the right move? I dont know yet, Ill reserve judgement til I see who they bring in and what they do. If we go back to the old way, terrible move. If we bring in Lu and sell the farm, even worse.
I have a feeling we are about to stare down 40 more years for a couple playoff games.

Wilma

Sep 4, 2006
After the team imploded last year, why give him free agency and the draft? Unless it's just so you could have him for the CBA discussions.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Perennial basement dwellers under his tenure. One would say that he inherited a pretty aweful roster, but no other person would've made a worse job out of it.

Regular disappointments and even our prospects pool was just ranked 19th in spite of those disappointing finishes.

My only concern is the clock gets reset for the new GM.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
I am irate at MLSE!!!!!!!!!!! How do they fire a guy who helped craft this new CBA!!!!!!!!

I bet that they were negotiating his contract extension and Burke wanted 5 years and MLSE would only give him 2 or 3 years... Then it got ugly and they decided to axe him...

So Fing stupid!!!! We are going to regret this move for decades....

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
If they replace him with Nonis ... :laugh: Nonis = worst GM in Canucks history

Not even close. Nonis brought in Edler, Schneider, Mitchell, Luongo, and Burrows, and all it cost for the lot was a Bertuzzi, Auld, Allen, a couple draft picks, and money. He was overly patient/hesitant to make big moves at times that could jeopardize the future to win in the present, but at times that is a good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad