Buffalo Sabres 2019-2020 Training Camp Thread

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Added JV, Miller, Johansson
Removed Pomminville

That’s it. Basically the same team. Any improvement of the younger players will be offset by improvements in every other team’s younger players, so we are left to hope the coaches can perform miracles if we want to rise in the standings

Adding a solid defenseman and a solid middle 6 versatile player is huge- you act like doing more than that without losing something is easy, and it ain't. A few teams had better offseasons, but I'd say the number is rather low. Outside of overpaying a UFA with money we don't have, this is good. Vesey might help, Lazar might help, Olofsson looks ready to go. Adding at least 3 impact players (4 if you count Montour) and a lot of spare parts that might be minor upgrades helps flush out the lineup, and I still think we're moving Risto or someone else to improve our offense before the season hits the halfway mark.

You also say "coaching miracle"- bro, we just saw how much coaching can have an impact with the NYI. Not saying Krueger is Trotz, but it's not exactly a miracle- just going from the worst coach in the league to someone decently competent puts us in a much better position.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
So, Sobotka and mitts are on this team? Okposo is starting as the 2 RW? I was really hoping for no Eichel or Dahlin and a roster filled with everyone on the bubble. Instead, this looks like what could be the finished product, and it’s scary.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario

We're really going into the regular season with Sobotka on the roster, aren't we...

So, Sobotka and mitts are on this team? Okposo is starting as the 2 RW? I was really hoping for no Eichel or Dahlin and a roster filled with everyone on the bubble. Instead, this looks like what could be the finished product, and it’s scary.

Let's hope Larsson is back in time and pushes Sobotka out. Also think Sheary would push Okposo down if back soon.

But yeah. For the most part...that seems to be our situation. Eep.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya

The fact that Sobotkposo are still on the team means either that a) Krueger/Botts both are on the same page as Phil regarding them or b) the young guys didn't impress enough to displace them. Gah.

The practice lines had Sobotka at 4C because of Larsson's injury, so maybe he comes out when everybody is healthy.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The fact that Sobotkposo are still on the team means either that a) Krueger/Botts both are on the same page as Phil regarding them or b) the young guys didn't impress enough to displace them. Gah.

The practice lines had Sobotka at 4C because of Larsson's injury, so maybe he comes out when everybody is healthy.

...or there was never really competition for roster spots. Krueger pretty much said, a lot of the training camp "competition" is more about getting those first call ups.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Adding a solid defenseman and a solid middle 6 versatile player is huge- you act like doing more than that without losing something is easy, and it ain't. A few teams had better offseasons, but I'd say the number is rather low. Outside of overpaying a UFA with money we don't have, this is good. Vesey might help, Lazar might help, Olofsson looks ready to go. Adding at least 3 impact players (4 if you count Montour) and a lot of spare parts that might be minor upgrades helps flush out the lineup, and I still think we're moving Risto or someone else to improve our offense before the season hits the halfway mark.

You also say "coaching miracle"- bro, we just saw how much coaching can have an impact with the NYI. Not saying Krueger is Trotz, but it's not exactly a miracle- just going from the worst coach in the league to someone decently competent puts us in a much better position.

What the Sabres did this offseason, is big under Botterill's regime, but for any average team, he did the bare minimum for a team that is a perennial basement contender that is trying to shape the roster to be more competitive. Don't get me wrong I like the Miller move, and the Johansson move. But the Vesey move I feel is the exact same quality as getting Sheary here. Very underwhelming. I very much hope VO has locked in a spot on the roster. If he doesn't then Botterill and his words of competition hold absolutely NO weight go forward. He has played better than anybody that is slated to be in our bottom 6.

I'm not going to say Montour is new here, because he was here last season. I'm not giving him the credit of adding him THIS offseason.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Good to see ERod one the 2nd line instead of Okposo.

That could very well be our top-6 opening night. Personally would rather the centers for each of those lines flipped but could live with trying this lineup first.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I mean based on the top six it looks like Krueger has correctly identified the six best offensive forwards on the team so that’s a start
Hopefully Sheary and Larsson will then replace Okposo and Sobotka. I think Wilson is getting a look since he just came back from injury, so that's still ultimately Girgensons' spot to lose.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Hopefully Sheary and Larsson will then replace Okposo and Sobotka. I think Wilson is getting a look since he just came back from injury, so that's still ultimately Girgensons' spot to lose.

That was quick, Girgs has already replaced him :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad