Buffalo Sabres 2019-2020 Training Camp Thread

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Just look at last years lineup and add in the great....checking notes...Jimmy Vesey

Added JV, Miller, Johansson
Removed Pomminville

That’s it. Basically the same team. Any improvement of the younger players will be offset by improvements in every other team’s younger players, so we are left to hope the coaches can perform miracles if we want to rise in the standings

Reactions: sabremike

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Removed Pomminville

That’s it. Basically the same team. Any improvement of the younger players will be offset by improvements in every other team’s younger players, so we are left to hope the coaches can perform miracles if we want to rise in the standings
I think adding Olofsson to the lineup is going to be a very big deal. Especially if he can perform from the right side.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Removed Pomminville

Sounds about right. After last year the thought was there is no way they can not make major changes. Yet, here we are again.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Removed Pomminville

+ Olofsson. I don't know why people are overlooking internal adds. Olofsson is probably the single most impactful addition to the team last year vs this. Would not be surprised if he potted 30 goals.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think adding Olofsson to the lineup is going to be a very big deal. Especially if he can perform from the right side.

I think I made this exact same comment about Casey last year. Can’t rely on rookies to be difference makers. He’s older than most rookies but still, I’ve learned the hard way not to rely on rookies to change the team overnight

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
you mean the worst 20 games of the season? He was fine but we’ve seen that he doesn’t move the needle one iota on this team full of garbage

Neither did ROR for all of 2017-18, one player won't move the needle no matter how good. That's why people are banking their hopes on Krueger.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
you mean the worst 20 games of the season? He was fine but we’ve seen that he doesn’t move the needle one iota on this team full of garbage

It's one thing to watch games on TV, but watching a game in March at Carolina in person was to have an epiphany of how terrible a system Housley was forcing his D-corps to suffer through. Chasing their tails, throwing the puck around like a hand grenade in their own zone, under pressure with little/no outlet help from FWs, having to play man from goal line to blue line, losing coverage in the process. It was blatantly apparent that Housley was a major problem. Any competent HC makes a huge difference for this roster, let alone the additions of Montour, Miller, Johansson, Vesey (sort of for depth). Bales should make a significant difference for the goalies also.

Reactions: Montag DP

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think I made this exact same comment about Casey last year. Can’t rely on rookies to be difference makers. He’s older than most rookies but still, I’ve learned the hard way not to rely on rookies to change the team overnight
Totally depends on the rookie, their readiness and how they perform (just call me Captain Obvious). Casey was expected to come in and make a big impact last year, and all he showed was that he wasn't ready yet. Olofsson is four years older with five years of pro experience, and showed himself to be too good for the AHL while demonstrating one of the best shots in the entire league. It's a night and day difference IMO. If Olofsson comes in and shows himself to be a Calder contender, that's a huge add.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It's one thing to watch games on TV, but watching a game in March at Carolina in person was to have an epiphany of how terrible a system Housley was forcing his D-corps to suffer through. Chasing their tails, throwing the puck around like a hand grenade in their own zone, under pressure with little/no outlet help from FWs, having to play man from goal line to blue line, losing coverage in the process. It was blatantly apparent that Housley was a major problem. Any competent HC makes a huge difference for this roster, let alone the additions of Montour, Miller, Johansson, Vesey (sort of for depth). Bales should make a significant difference for the goalies also.
What you just said was almost word for word what one of my best friends who is a Flyers STH told me after seeing us play in Philly. Why corrective action wasn't taken when you, him and me could all see what was wrong is one of life's great mysteries.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
What you just said was almost word for word what one of my best friends who is a Flyers STH told me after seeing us play in Philly. Why corrective action wasn't taken when you, him and me could all see what was wrong is one of life's great mysteries.

Well that depends on a lot of details we aren't privy to, like what HC wants the job and when they are available, how much time the front office wanted to make contacts, research candidates, etc.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Staple Okposo to Jack and Skinner. Let same and olly run with Johansson. Make adjustments accordingly in the 3rd.
Nonononononononononononono....

The Okposo being statistically productive ship has sailed and sunk. He's fine on the 4th line, let him be on the 4th line.

Olofsson - Jack - Reinhart
Skinner - Mitts - Mojo

Reactions: Chainshot

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Neither did ROR for all of 2017-18, one player won't move the needle no matter how good. That's why people are banking their hopes on Krueger.
The Sabres have 2 players in the organization who are potential needle movers; UPL and Dahlin. In fact any goalie has that potential. I'm picking UPL because I think he's most likely to emerge as a dominant goalie. Remember Hasek? The NY Rangers missed the playoffs for 7 straight seasons then qualified for 11 of the next 12 when Lundqvist joined the team. A franchise dman will play nearly half the game and can control the play. Dahlin isn't far from being one.

Reactions: Dingo44

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
The Sabres have 2 players in the organization who are potential needle movers; UPL and Dahlin. In fact any goalie has that potential. I'm picking UPL because I think he's most likely to emerge as a dominant goalie. Remember Hasek? The NY Rangers missed the playoffs for 7 straight seasons then qualified for 11 of the next 12 when Lundqvist joined the team. A franchise dman will play nearly half the game and can control the play. Dahlin isn't far from being one.

Even a player like Dahlin can be cancelled out by poor coaching or a bad supporting cast. Not that I think ours is that bad, I tend to think we're not nearly as bad talent-wise as we were a couple seasons ago, but Housley and Bylsma had negative impacts on our performance.

For a franchise that had to continuously trade goalies away because they were stealing games for us in 2015, we sure have had some struggles in net recently. I'm friends with a few Flyers fans, our whole lives I never appreciated their struggles to finding a solution in net. Kinda ironic that after making fun of them for the past 20 years that they have a young prodigy in Carter Hart about to take the reigns while we're hoping coaching can turn Hutton & Ullmark into league average guys.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
What is going on with Cozens? will he get a 9 game look or sent down before?
I think they are just keeping him around for the experience as they don't feel there is any rush to send him back. He should be in a similar position next year this time battling out for a roster spot, and having gone through it once already is a valuable experience. I just hope they are being straight with him about going back to Lethbridge.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Hello who is your starting goalie this season and how many games do you think he will get? Also how has he looked so far?

Thanks!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad