Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
What evidence are you referring to?

Eyewitness evidence. Two people with injuries, telling the same story. Like it or not, that is hard to ignore.

No forced entry. If McCoy’s ex says she locked the doors, how can that be refuted? What credible evidence is there against that? Who gave the means for the perp to enter the home?

The perp asking demanding jewelry that McCoy, according to the victim, had asked be returned. Again, the victim is going to beat herself up, or hire someone to do so, and make this up over that when she could just claim the house was burglarized and not go through the pain of getting her ass handed to her.

Like I said, there isn’t enough evidence to arrest McCoy but make no mistake that there is enough to make him a suspect in this incident.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I fail to see how being a ****ty roommate/tenant is remotely relevant to the situation at hand.
It can add credibility to McCoy's side of the story. It she has a pattern of refusing to pay rent and leave a property, and she refused to leave his property (assuming he gave her appropriate notice to vacate), it shows he's using the courts and puts into question why he would send someone to try to violently rob her on the verge of potentially getting her actually evicted.

Is it enough? Doubtful. But relevant? Oh yes.

We'll see.
Hahahah, why would anyone in the media ask his Mom? Wow

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
(1) What an odd press-release. It was amateurish, quickly put together, and lacked strategy. I read it as "my firm wants to release a statement." I don't know the firm, but her website has a few flags on it, and the attorneys lack some credentials I like to see. With that being said, she may be an extremely good lawyer.

(2) There is smoke here. An individual being the victim of a targeted home-robbery/assault, who is also involved in legal proceedings with an ex......Not a great look ever for the ex. I'll withhold judgment, but if I had to bet, I'd guess he was involved in "some" capacity. No different than a murdered wife, statistics and perception don't look great for the husband.

(3) I'd love to be in the courtroom when the attorney askes to get in her history of not paying rent as relevant to the case.

(4) Someone hurt her, victim blaming is awful and ignorant, and I hope justice is served.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
(1) What an odd press-release. It was amateurish, quickly put together, and lacked strategy. I read it as "my firm wants to release a statement." I don't know the firm, but her website has a few flags on it, and the attorneys lack some credentials I like to see. With that being said, she may be an extremely good lawyer.

(2) There is smoke here. An individual being the victim of a targeted home-robbery/assault, who is also involved in legal proceedings with an ex......Not a great look ever for the ex. I'll withhold judgment, but if I had to bet, I'd guess he was involved in "some" capacity. No different than a murdered wife, statistics and perception don't look great for the husband.

(3) I'd love to be in the courtroom when the attorney askes to get in her history of not paying rent as relevant to the case.

(4) Someone hurt her, victim blaming is awful and ignorant, and I hope justice is served.
If I was the defense attorney I wouldn’t ask, I’d just do it. And it wouldn’t be remotely hard to get in. It could be impeachment evidence as a prior bad act, it could be used directly to explore a theory of alternate credibility, it could be used to rebut any arguments the People make about McCoy trying to throw her out on the street, etc. The bar for “relevance” isn’t very high, especially when a criminal defendant is arguing for such (constitutional protections and all that).

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
If I was the defense attorney I wouldn’t ask, I’d just do it. And it wouldn’t be remotely hard to get in. It could be impeachment evidence as a prior bad act, it could be used directly to explore a theory of alternate credibility, it could be used to rebut any arguments the People make about McCoy trying to throw her out on the street, etc. The bar for “relevance” isn’t very high, especially when a criminal defendant is arguing for such (constitutional protections and all that).

I have no idea what rule could be used to get in the evidence because I I don't even know what the case will be. It could get in under lots of situations like you said or rejected in others. I'm just pointing out it would be an enjoyable argument to see (and it would be contested, the state or opposing side would file a motion to prevent it from coming in).

Edit: I honestly don’t know how defense attorneys make a lot of their arguments with a straight face. And I’m pro-defense!

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I have no idea what rule could be used to get in the evidence because I I don't even know what the case will be. It could get in under lots of situations like you said or rejected in others. I'm just pointing out it would be an enjoyable argument to see (and it would be contested, the state or opposing side would file a motion to prevent it from coming in).

Edit: I honestly don’t know how defense attorneys make a lot of their arguments with a straight face. And I’m pro-defense!
The heavy burden and immense responsibility of ones duty to their client (especially when said client’s liberty is on the line).

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
The heavy burden and immense responsibility of ones duty to their client (especially when said client’s liberty is on the line).

Ha, as a civil attorney, I don’t share the same responsibility nor duty. I can tell clients “I’m not going to do that”

I would fail miserably and quickly as a criminal defense attorney.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I fail to see how being a ****ty roommate/tenant is remotely relevant to the situation at hand.

I’m not saying it has anything to do with the situation, but she’s got a history of being untruthful and has a history of issues with not paying her rent. According to her review she has a history of scams.

It doesn’t mean she’s lying but it does put into question whether we should believe her whether or not McCoy is involved

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Eyewitness evidence. Two people with injuries, telling the same story. Like it or not, that is hard to ignore.

No forced entry. If McCoy’s ex says she locked the doors, how can that be refuted? What credible evidence is there against that? Who gave the means for the perp to enter the home?

The perp asking demanding jewelry that McCoy, according to the victim, had asked be returned. Again, the victim is going to beat herself up, or hire someone to do so, and make this up over that when she could just claim the house was burglarized and not go through the pain of getting her ass handed to her.

Like I said, there isn’t enough evidence to arrest McCoy but make no mistake that there is enough to make him a suspect in this incident.

Who is the 2nd person injured?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
It can add credibility to McCoy's side of the story. It she has a pattern of refusing to pay rent and leave a property, and she refused to leave his property (assuming he gave her appropriate notice to vacate), it shows he's using the courts and puts into question why he would send someone to try to violently rob her on the verge of potentially getting her actually evicted.
Okay, that's why it may be relevant to McCoy's defense team, assuming that's the line that they take (assuming it is available) but, well, that's not what any of us are here.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
How is evicting someone from your home putting someone in a bad light? Of all the things in this story that may paint him in a bad light...

In terms of motive. The perpetrator(s) allegedly asking for specific jewelry, she’s being evicted, etc.

I believe my original post was made before additional info came out - I.e, we knew he wasn’t there, but he allegedly (now fact) was having her evicted. That ends the “random” home invasion idea which then paints him in a negative light.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
In terms of motive. The perpetrator(s) allegedly asking for specific jewelry, she’s being evicted, etc.

I believe my original post was made before additional info came out - I.e, we knew he wasn’t there, but he allegedly (now fact) was having her evicted. That ends the “random” home invasion idea which then paints him in a negative light.

Does it though? It could still be a random home invasion. We're going by what she said. That's not proof. For all we know, the home invaders could've asked for jewelry (which is a typical request from robbers), and that could've led to her to believe they were with McCoy trying to get the jewelry back.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

I’m pretty damn sure the prosecution is going to address that in hearings leading up to a trial and the judge will rule whether that can be addressed at trial.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Does it though? It could still be a random home invasion. We're going by what she said. That's not proof. For all we know, the home invaders could've asked for jewelry (which is a typical request from robbers), and that could've led to her to believe they were with McCoy trying to get the jewelry back.
Which is understandable. All that has been reported is based on what the two girls said.

Ex girlfriend living in his house
Eviction proceedings on going
Dispute over expensive jewelry (allegedly)
Shady (allegedly) removed and installed new security systems

While this could be a random attack current evidence and allegations point to the contrary.

Even if we go to the top 2 points above (EX gf living in house + he was working to evict her) and common precedent that exes are often behind these sorts of attacks doesn’t make shady look good.

My original point was that once it came out that Shady was working to evict her there is immediately an obvious motive.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
It will be interesting to see how this is handled.

It will probably hinge on whether McCoy is charged with orchestrating the assault or not.
Its easy and common sense I think. McCoy needs to step away until the police clear him. Its not a big deal if he is innocent and shouldn't take more than a few weeks to do it.

I believe in innocent until proven guilty but its just the right thing to do.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
This is jail-worthy stuff if the accusations are true, but after reading the tweet, it’s hard not to think there’s some sketchiness to it.

They kept quiet about his child abuse and animal abuse, but this is going too far? When an adult gets hurt?

And this all the day before she’s supposed to go to court about the eviction matter that he would have likely won... Idk, something’s off here.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Its easy and common sense I think. McCoy needs to step away until the police clear him. Its not a big deal if he is innocent and shouldn't take more than a few weeks to do it.

I believe in innocent until proven guilty but its just the right thing to do.

Police never work to clear someone as a suspect.

They work to charge people and this could take a very long time to sort through.

Just look at how long the Kane and O'Reilly stuff took to sort through and they never took a leave during those processes.

Reactions: Buffaloed

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Police never work to clear someone as a suspect.

They work to charge people and this could take a very long time to sort through.

Just look at how long the Kane and O'Reilly stuff took to sort through and they never took a leave during those processes.
Yes they do, they always do. Every single person they think could have something to do with it they investigate them until they are cleared or guilty. They even say it. They say we would like your DNA so we can clear you. Sometimes they even announce when they have cleared someone in the news. If you would like I can provide you many links showing you.

When someone is murdered and there is DNA they go to the family and say look we don't think you did it but please provide your DNA so we can clear you. That is exactly how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad