Buffalo Bills talk 2018 - Off Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
dude's a lottery ticket

if we win big on him, that's great, but it doesn't mean the lottery is a smart investment

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Remember guys, his completion % in college wasn't good because he didn't have any 'gimme throws'

:popcorn:

Reactions: jc17

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
It's going to be a long season of I've told you sos after every bad play or overthrow. Social media is already unbearable.

I just hope fans can move on and give the guy a chance.

Reactions: Dingo44

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Reports are that he had a great day minus these two misses. If folks are expecting perfection, this is going to be a long pre season...

My post was mostly in jest, but if we're being real all NFL QBs are judged under microscopic lens on a play by play basis. If a guy throws a catchable ball 2 inches behind his target "you'll never win it all with him", because he doesn't have elite placement and prevented his receiver from catching the ball in stride.

I'm a well documented skeptic of Allen's, and until he proves me wrong I will be a tough judge of his work.

Reactions: Husko

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Our coach put Peterman out there. Do you really think he's not going to get a game if they're losing?
No, I do. Just trying to play with your "Cryogenic-ally frozen" comment. As much as I would bet he gets a start in his career, if not this season, I wouldn't asked to be frozen until that happens in fear of it never happening. All in good fun.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
My post was mostly in jest, but if we're being real all NFL QBs are judged under microscopic lens on a play by play basis. If a guy throws a catchable ball 2 inches behind his target "you'll never win it all with him", because he doesn't have elite placement and prevented his receiver from catching the ball in stride.

I'm a well documented skeptic of Allen's, and until he proves me wrong I will be a tough judge of his work.

There is a difference between being a tough judge and being a fair or reasoned one.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'm not even going to form a non-comparative (to Rosen) opinion until the end of Allen's 4-year rookie contract or at least 2 seasons worth of starting the majority of that season's games, whichever comes first. Could take the Bills longer than that, even, to fix their line and receiver positions.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
I'm not even going to form a non-comparative (to Rosen) opinion until the end of Allen's 4-year rookie contract or at least 2 seasons worth of starting the majority of that season's games, whichever comes first. Could take the Bills longer than that, even, to fix their line and receiver positions.

I'm optimistic they will fix that next offseason. An estimated $77 million in cap space available for free agents should get you at least a couple of linemen and a wide receiver. I also think they will use most of their draft picks on offense.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
No, I do. Just trying to play with your "Cryogenic-ally frozen" comment. As much as I would bet he gets a start in his career, if not this season, I wouldn't asked to be frozen until that happens in fear of it never happening. All in good fun.
:slaugh:

Reactions: Dingo44

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I'm optimistic they will fix that next offseason. An estimated $77 million in cap space available for free agents should get you at least a couple of linemen and a wide receiver. I also think they will use most of their draft picks on offense.
If the line doesn't get him killed THIS season. At least if he was dead, we could move on to a new QB the following season.

I'm just holding out hope that there will be some good veteran cuts that we can add before this season begins. Putting a rookie QB behind Swiss cheese protection is asking for trouble. I think the receivers are good enough for a decent QB with the time to find open receivers.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I understand people being nervous about he line. And I wouldn’t put Allen behind it until we’re sure it’s stabalized, but...

Dawkins was better than Glenn last season, who was injured for a good portion anyways, so that’s not a huge change/loss.

Incognito is a loss. But Ducasse, while not great, was stable after some time on the right side. He should do the same on the left. Miller, in my opinion, is due for a rebound, and Dennison’s blocking schemes really hurt him last season (square peg/round hole thing).

Groy has played at a reasonably competent level for a good amount of time, and Woods was rarely missed when he missed time in past seasons largely because Groy handled the position ably.

Mills hasn’t been great, specifically looking back at the Chargers game. But if you look around the league at what teams are putting out at tackle, he’s a low end starting capable tackle in this league. He won’t wow anyone but is capable.

Teller provides some nice young depth.

Bodine has experience. He might not be great, but he’s only 25 and has 4 yrs of starting experience. He’s only been with one team and might benefit from the change of scenery.

Overall the line has questions, but I think people are overstating it.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

Maybe this time they'll actually use their 1st rounder on the UB kid!

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
How has Rosen looked for Arizona?

it would be so Bills for both Rosen and Mahomes to be stars and Allen to bust.

That said I'm definitely not rooting for Allen to bust. I hope he becomes a star.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
How has Rosen looked for Arizona?

it would be so Bills for both Rosen and Mahomes to be stars and Allen to bust.

That said I'm definitely not rooting for Allen to bust. I hope he becomes a star.

Well, he's yet to complete a pass vs competition, so that makes his passer rating a 0. And he had a couple over throws, so he's easily a bust.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
There is a difference between being a tough judge and being a fair or reasoned one.

No, there isn't... There are shitty plays and good plays.

You're confusing "staying patient, ignoring the bad, hoping this works out" with the word "fair"

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I understand people being nervous about he line. And I wouldn’t put Allen behind it until we’re sure it’s stabalized, but...

Dawkins was better than Glenn last season, who was injured for a good portion anyways, so that’s not a huge change/loss.

Incognito is a loss. But Ducasse, while not great, was stable after some time on the right side. He should do the same on the left. Miller, in my opinion, is due for a rebound, and Dennison’s blocking schemes really hurt him last season (square peg/round hole thing).

Groy has played at a reasonably competent level for a good amount of time, and Woods was rarely missed when he missed time in past seasons largely because Groy handled the position ably.

Mills hasn’t been great, specifically looking back at the Chargers game. But if you look around the league at what teams are putting out at tackle, he’s a low end starting capable tackle in this league. He won’t wow anyone but is capable.

Teller provides some nice young depth.

Bodine has experience. He might not be great, but he’s only 25 and has 4 yrs of starting experience. He’s only been with one team and might benefit from the change of scenery.

Overall the line has questions, but I think people are overstating it.
Don't you think Tyrod Taylor had anything to do with the success of the line?

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Don't you think Tyrod Taylor had anything to do with the success of the line?

I was looking more specifically st the line itself, but you could be right. At the same time, I don’t remember the exact stat, but I believe Tyrod also held onto the ball longer than any other qb in the league. To me it’s a bit of a catch-22. He can scramble and avoid the pass rush greater than maybe any other qb in the league. But him extending plays and avoiding the rush also requires the o-line to continue their blocking that much longer in the play, as opposed to qb’s who get the snap, look & throw in almost one solid motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad