Buffalo Bills talk 2018 - Off Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
you lose credibility with me as a consumer of media content when you make outlandish and demeaning statements like "a parody of an NFL qb prospect." cmon. you can of course debate his merits as a prospect, but calling him a parody is irresponsible and condescending.
I think it’s an apt phrase for Allen.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
I don't think I'll ever understand why they picked Allen over Rosen. I literally fell on the ground and yelled no when he was picked. I have to be on board with the pick because if not I'll go crazy thinking about it.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I don't think I'll ever understand why they picked Allen over Rosen. I literally fell on the ground and yelled no when he was picked. I have to be on board with the pick because if not I'll go crazy thinking about it.

Message boards were not around then but can you imagine how mad people were at Kelly over Eason.

Reactions: Icicle and Dingo44

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I like how football scouts get QB picks wrong year after year, yet people get so heated over thinking they have an ounce of credibility predicting this.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN

To be honest i did the same exact thing. I'm not upset about it anymore though.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If the starters on the front 4 and back 5 stay healthy, the Bills will probably eek out 6-7 wins. If they suffer any injuries there, with the atrocious depth (except DE), this could be a 2-3 win team.

Oh, and I agree with Football outsiders. Josh Allen has a very low likelihood of being even an average NFL starter.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I think this is where most people should be at. I think the fact that Mayfeild/Darnold were both long gone should make the choice easier to take as well.

Personally it's not taking a swing on Allen which I have a problem with - it was the cost of moving up to do so. How would things have looked if they took Edmunds at 12, another impact starter at 22 then moved up for Jackson at 32?

Either way it's done - let's all just hope for the best.

Last season every so called expert had the Bills finishing well down the order...

Reactions: TheStorm

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
you lose credibility with me as a consumer of media content when you make outlandish and demeaning statements like "a parody of an NFL qb prospect." cmon. you can of course debate his merits as a prospect, but calling him a parody is irresponsible and condescending.
It's certainly a provocative way to put it, but if you were to take the disconnect between more traditional scouting approaches and more statistically-driven analytical approaches and exaggerate it drastically, you would pretty much wind up with Josh Allen.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Idk. We all look at the numbers nowadays because of the technology and the analytics, but I wonder about the context of those numbers. If they liked Allen so much, those numbers must have given them pause. It seems like they blame a lot of it on his footwork. And the fact he was playing in a different offense from most college quarterbacks which may also have had a negative effect on his numbers.

I think the raw talent is there. I think he’s a smart kid. I think he’s a hard worker. This is all also speculation and what I’ve heard from various draftniks around the league (I particularly like Matt Miller).

I think the main thing will be whether his timing routes and short stuff is off because he’s got bad anticipation, or if his footwork is off.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Idk. We all look at the numbers nowadays because of the technology and the analytics, but I wonder about the context of those numbers. If they liked Allen so much, those numbers must have given them pause. It seems like they blame a lot of it on his footwork. And the fact he was playing in a different offense from most college quarterbacks which may also have had a negative effect on his numbers.

I think the raw talent is there. I think he’s a smart kid. I think he’s a hard worker. This is all also speculation and what I’ve heard from various draftniks around the league (I particularly like Matt Miller).

I think the main thing will be whether his timing routes and short stuff is off because he’s got bad anticipation, or if his footwork is off.

Watching his tape.. the dude had maybe 1 second to move every snap. He had no support on his line at all.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I like how football scouts get QB picks wrong year after year, yet people get so heated over thinking they have an ounce of credibility predicting this.
When advanced stats and 24 hour sports television demystified sports every person not smart enough to understand how amazingly complicated it is suddenly had an opinion that they knew was truth.

Reactions: Icicle

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
When advanced stats and 24 hour sports television demystified sports every person not smart enough to understand how amazingly complicated it is suddenly had an opinion that they knew was truth.
It doesn't take a Masters degree to understand that bad college quarterbacks are almost never good pro quarterbacks. It’s been almost 30 years since even one of those guys came around.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

A lot of the ways people talk themselves into liking Allen as a prospect remind me of the way people that liked Jake Locker coming into the NFL talked themselves into it.

It will be interesting to see if it works out or not.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
It doesn't take a Masters degree to understand that bad college quarterbacks are almost never good pro quarterbacks. It’s been almost 30 years since even one of those guys came around.
Best QB in the league.. 5th rounder.. exaggerating much?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Best QB in the league.. 5th rounder.. exaggerating much?

Brady wasn't a bad QB at Michigan.

He was jerked around because he was an underdeveloped athlete that didn't look the part and Michigan got a high profile athlete that was also a QB.

It was the classic example of the guy that doesn't look the part and just produces vs the Greek God that looks the part, but isn't as effective.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Ya, sports are pretty easy. Probably why money hungry owners don’t hire cheaper managers.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Ya, sports are pretty easy. Probably why money hungry owners don’t hire cheaper managers.
You’re arugument is just as, if not more reductive than my argument, i.e., that front offices are immune to common pitfalls in scouting because they are paid a lot of money, vs, there are mistakes that many front offices often make because they trust their eyes more than data.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Camp Countdown: No. 1 - Who will be the starting QB?

In what has become a two-decade long search for a long-term answer at quarterback, Buffalo fans have truly seen it all.

They’ve seen trades made for proven veterans (Drew Bledsoe). They’ve witnessed trades up in the draft to try and find a franchise QB (J.P. Losman) and trades down (EJ Manuel). They’ve watched two-man quarterback competitions in training camp. Even a three-man quarterback competition, like the one taking place this summer, has happened before (2015).

At this point Bills fans don’t care how a long-term answer at the position is found. They just want the answer.

So as A.J. McCarron, Nathan Peterman and rookie Josh Allen resume their competition at the St. John Fisher campus this week, we try to ascertain who will emerge as the starter come Week 1.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Camp Countdown: No. 1 - Who will be the starting QB?

In what has become a two-decade long search for a long-term answer at quarterback, Buffalo fans have truly seen it all.

At this point Bills fans don’t care how a long-term answer at the position is found. They just want the answer.
latest

Patrick DiMarco, come on down!!! You're the next contestant on the Buffalo Bills carousel of football futility!!!

Reactions: truthbluth

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
A lot of the ways people talk themselves into liking Allen as a prospect remind me of the way people that liked Jake Locker coming into the NFL talked themselves into it.

It will be interesting to see if it works out or not.

At the same time, all these guys have their warts.

Mayfield:
1. came out of one of the spreadiest spread systems in the nation

2. Height

3. Character could be a concern if you view it that way (Ohio St. and Kansas games as examples. College playoff throat slice motion before Georgia comes back to win also comes to mind).

Darnold:
1. Odd throwing motion

2. Interception rate

3. Small hands- not always an issue, but when you lead the nation in fumbles, it presents some correlation.

Rosen:
1. Attitude questions

2. Injury questions- this is my fear with Rosen. I think he’ll get banged up a lot.

Jackson:
1. His accuracy wasn’t that great either.

2. Mobility and lanky build worries a lot of scouts and coaches regarding propensity for injury.

And Allen was inaccurate. I think he has the most upside, and this organization trusts their coaches to coach the player to their potential and put them in a position to succeed.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Brady wasn't a bad QB at Michigan.

He was jerked around because he was an underdeveloped athlete that didn't look the part and Michigan got a high profile athlete that was also a QB.

It was the classic example of the guy that doesn't look the part and just produces vs the Greek God that looks the part, but isn't as effective.

Yup, basically the opposite of what Allen is said to be.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I don’t think I understand why the equation is understanding every outcome in sports=one opinion on one player?

It doesn’t seem particularly ambitious or egregious to state that Allen would be an extreme outlier based on his college production to become a good nfl qb.

Reactions: MacOfNiagara
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad