Buffalo Bills talk 2018 - Off Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
"I will never give up. I will keep fighting til the end." — Jim Kelly. #DontEverGiveUp

Jim Kelly focused on one message when he accepted his Jimmy V Award.
Hdt5NsmlWv0BRvQN.jpg:small

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
2018 NFL record projections: Will Patriots falter on road to Super Bowl LIII?

It's time to dig into those playbooks and hit the ice baths.

NFL training camps begin opening this week as veterans for the Baltimore Ravens and Chicago Bears officially report for duty. Summer vacation ends for the league's other 30 teams next week.

It won't be long after that until injuries begin to mount, holdouts potentially simmer and flare and other manners of controversy surface. But based on what I know (or think I know) as we embark on the NFL's 99th season, here's my annual prediction of how the season will unfold with record projections for each team based on picking all 256 games, plus a playoff forecast.

AFC EAST

New England Patriots (11-5): Helps when you can count on five or six wins in divisional play. Despite the turnover on offense and Julian Edelman's suspension, hard to believe they won't still cruise to a first-round bye. At minimum.

Miami Dolphins (7-9): Coach Adam Gase says Ryan Tannehill learned a lot by watching while injured in 2017. We'll see. This team looks significantly different on both sides of the ball, which probably means consistent inconsistency.

New York Jets (4-12): They may struggle to replicate last year's surprising total of five wins. But with young talent like Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams, it appears a strong foundation is finally forming.

Buffalo Bills (3-13): They stole several games in 2017 on the way to a feel-good wild-card ride. But the O-line is decimated, the quarterback room in upheaval and a dark cloud looms over Shady McCoy. Maybe rookie Josh Allen provides promising glimpses of the future, but don't expect many. Sorry, Bills Mafia.

Did5rj-XcAAzHdY.jpg

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
2018 NFL record projections: Will Patriots falter on road to Super Bowl LIII?

It's time to dig into those playbooks and hit the ice baths.

NFL training camps begin opening this week as veterans for the Baltimore Ravens and Chicago Bears officially report for duty. Summer vacation ends for the league's other 30 teams next week.

It won't be long after that until injuries begin to mount, holdouts potentially simmer and flare and other manners of controversy surface. But based on what I know (or think I know) as we embark on the NFL's 99th season, here's my annual prediction of how the season will unfold with record projections for each team based on picking all 256 games, plus a playoff forecast.

AFC EAST

New England Patriots (11-5): Helps when you can count on five or six wins in divisional play. Despite the turnover on offense and Julian Edelman's suspension, hard to believe they won't still cruise to a first-round bye. At minimum.

Miami Dolphins (7-9): Coach Adam Gase says Ryan Tannehill learned a lot by watching while injured in 2017. We'll see. This team looks significantly different on both sides of the ball, which probably means consistent inconsistency.

New York Jets (4-12): They may struggle to replicate last year's surprising total of five wins. But with young talent like Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams, it appears a strong foundation is finally forming.

Buffalo Bills (3-13): They stole several games in 2017 on the way to a feel-good wild-card ride. But the O-line is decimated, the quarterback room in upheaval and a dark cloud looms over Shady McCoy. Maybe rookie Josh Allen provides promising glimpses of the future, but don't expect many. Sorry, Bills Mafia.

Did5rj-XcAAzHdY.jpg

I think its pretty unlikely this team finishes below both the Jets AND Dolphins. I also don't see Jacksonville winning 10 games let alone 12 with that schedule.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I think its pretty unlikely this team finishes below both the Jets AND Dolphins. I also don't see Jacksonville winning 10 games let alone 12 with that schedule.
I could easily see the Bills finish in last place in the NFL. Quarterbacks are Allen, Peterman, McCarron. McCoy is 30 years old and facing the possibility of suspension, and there is no one behind him. Our backup C is now the starter. Our RG is now our LG and our 3rd guard is the RG. Our LT is a sophomore and our RT is Jordan Mills. And, I haven't even touched the WRs. That's just the offense.

Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander are 35 and our MLB is 20. Vontae Davis missed 11 games last year as a 29 year old. Jerry Hughes had only 4 sacks last season. Trent Murphy hasn't played since his injury and PED suspension.

It would be just as easy for me to write a positive outcome reply, but given all of this and more, it shouldn't be too surprising if the team was picking in the top 5 of the draft in 2019.

Reactions: brian_griffin

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I could easily see the Bills finish in last place in the NFL. Quarterbacks are Allen, Peterman, McCarron. McCoy is 30 years old and facing the possibility of suspension, and there is no one behind him. Our backup C is now the starter. Our RG is now our LG and our 3rd guard is the RG. Our LT is a sophomore and our RT is Jordan Mills. And, I haven't even touched the WRs. That's just the offense.

Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander are 35 and our MLB is 20. Vontae Davis missed 11 games last year as a 29 year old. Jerry Hughes had only 4 sacks last season. Trent Murphy hasn't played since his injury and PED suspension.

It would be just as easy for me to write a positive outcome reply, but given all of this and more, it shouldn't be too surprising if the team was picking in the top 5 of the draft in 2019.

Bills will win 6 or 7. Their defense is too good.... plus they'll be like 3-8 and go on a heroic run of winning 3 out of 4 meaningless games to prevent then from drafting in the top 5 lol.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Bills will win 6 or 7. Their defense is too good.... plus they'll be like 3-8 and go on a heroic run of winning 3 out of 4 meaningless games to prevent then from drafting in the top 5 lol.
Where do I know this story from?.........It sounds so familiar............Like I heard it once a year for most of my life.........but I can't put my finger on it.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Chicken wings and folding tables: Meet new Bills beat reporter Matt Parrino

Growing up in Buffalo usually means developing an affinity for chicken wings and Buffalo Bills football.

I've been gone from the city for four years, and I usually field two bonus questions from folks who ask where I'm from:

What's the best place to get chicken wings? And have you ever been slammed through a folding table?

My answers are always "Duff's," and "not yet."

Now that I'm back in Buffalo and starting my new gig as the Bills beat writer for NYUP.com and Syracuse.com, the answer to that second question might change.

Reactions: Dingo44

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
That was a great informative article. Beane confirmed if we stayed put Edmunds was the pick at 12. The fact we got our franchise QB AND the stud linebacker we were targeting all along is amazing. The more I think about it the less upset I am about losing a couple of 2nds...if it means losing a Kouandjio and Hardy type pick to guarantee your franchise QB you do it. Even if you hit on the 2nds like Darby.

I really think Allen may eventually become a QB that can lead us to the playoffs. Even if he is a Flacco level QB I am ecstatic having that at #7 overall. If Allen pans out we have our best QB since Kelly retired.

As for those predictions up top, I'll take the #1 pick in 2019 and then trade it for a team who wants a QB. The 2019 draft is absolutely loaded at everywhere except QB but like every season there will likely be a QB who comes out of no where to be the #1 pick....and if we own a top 5 pick and a QB hungry team comes calling I am all ears on trading down 4-5 spots and pick up a 2020 1st and a 2019 2nd.

Let McCarron start the first 9-10 games. If we are sitting at 2-7,3-7 then put in Allen for the last few games to give him some experience and go into the 2019 draft with some top picks.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Wife and I canceled NFL Sunday ticket today.

La Canfora article makes no mention whatsoever of why the Bills didn't like Rosen. None. Talks about Beane seeing Darnold play the most, in addition to the others, listing Allen by name. Noted Beane really liked Allen's cheerleading, and he wasn't dismayed by his crappy stats in a foul weather win at Wyoming. Also notes Beane didn't consider in his own mocks trading the 2nd rounders and keeping #22. Wonderful stuff. :sarcasm: He clearly doesn't read these boards.

Beane has spent his whole life in balmy North Carolina before moving to Buffalo. If hope he doesn't think conditions like the Bills-Colts OT game last season is going to repeat every year, and Allen is the only QB who can play in that weather. :help:

I'll stick with 5-11 for now, but I could easily see the 3-13 predicted above if McCoy is suspended, or if there is an injury to 1 or more Defensive starters for more than 2-3 games.

Last edited:

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Wife and I canceled NFL Sunday ticket today.

La Canfora article makes no mention whatsoever of why the Bills didn't like Rosen. None. Talks about Beane seeing Darnold play the most, in addition to the others, listing Allen by name. Noted Beane really liked Allen's cheerleading, and he wasn't dismayed by his crappy stats in a foul weather win at Wyoming. Also notes Beane didn't consider in his own mocks trading the 2nd rounders and keeping #22. Wonderful stuff. :sarcasm: He clearly doesn't read these boards.

Beane has spent his whole life in balmy North Carolina before moving to Buffalo. If hope he doesn't think conditions like the Bills-Colts OT game last season is going to repeat every year, and Allen is the only QB who can play in that weather. :help:

I'll stick with 5-11 for now, but I could easily see the 3-13 predicted above if McCoy is suspended, or if there is an injury to 1 or more Defensive starters for more than 2-3 games.

Why cancel Sunday ticket? I call every year and threaten to cancel and they give me the same price I’m currently paying ($63/month) plus Sunday ticket Max for free and usually they throw in HBO or a premium for 6 months.

Reactions: Dingo44

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Why cancel Sunday ticket? I call every year and threaten to cancel and they give me the same price I’m currently paying ($63/month) plus Sunday ticket Max for free and usually they throw in HBO or a premium for 6 months.
We were billed our first payment and the sales rep said they’d have better offers closer to season start. Current price is $300 with 25% off, so $225. If I’m gonna watch a team lose 75% of their games, I want a lower price point.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
If the defense is healthy, I think they're a 6-7 win team. If not, it could get really bad. The offense looks like it will be a disaster.

Also, as I must note every year, Jordan Mills as an established starter is mind boggling. He should thank his lucky stars for his career.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
We were billed our first payment and the sales rep said they’d have better offers closer to season start. Current price is $300 with 25% off, so $225. If I’m gonna watch a team lose 75% of their games, I want a lower price point.
Ahh that sucks. I just told them I’m switching to spectrum and they will buy me out of my contract so there was no reason to stay with them.

Funny how it all depends on which retention person you get on the phone.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
NFL Media's 2018 'Inside Training Camp Live' Coverage

Inside Training Camp Live & Training Camp Primetime – Monday, July 23 – Wednesday, August 8

Starting Monday, July 23 and continuing through Wednesday, August 8, NFL Network provides 220 live hours of training camp coverage.

Beginning Thursday, July 26, NFL Network's Inside Training Camp Live coverage provides nine hours of continuous live on-location coverage from two different training camps each day starting at 10:00 AM ET (coverage July 23-25 kicks off at 1:00 PM ET). As teams report to camp and take the field, NFL Network is there to provide in-depth coverage and access, interviews with players and coaches, analysis from former players, head coaches and front office executives, and live reports from reporters stationed at various training camp sites.

For NFL Network's extensive training camp coverage, hosts Dan Hellie, Rhett Lewis, Andrew Siciliano and Colleen Wolfe are joined by analysts Michael Irvin, LaDainian Tomlinson, Kurt Warner, Terrell Davis, Brian Baldinger, Brian Billick, Bucky Brooks, Reggie Bush, David Carr, Charley Casserly, Daniel Jeremiah, James Jones, Maurice Jones-Drew, Steve Mariucci, Willie McGinest, Shaun O'Hara, Michael Robinson, Steve Smith Sr. and Reggie Wayne to provide analysis and interviews.

Also lending their voices throughout will be 16 reporters covering all 32 teams and providing the latest news reports from training camps. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and reporters Judy Battista, Taylor Bisciotti, Tiffany Blackmon, Jeffri Chadiha, Stacey Dales, Mike Garafolo, Kimberly Jones, Aditi Kinkhabwala, James Palmer, Tom Pelissero, Omar Ruiz, Michael Silver, Jane Slater, Jim Trotter and Steve Wyche will provide on-location reports from training camps around the league.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I have a strange sense of a 4 win season being imminent.

This roster lacks playmakers on both sides. The D won’t be awful, but I’m extremely concerned about the offensive side.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I have a strange sense of a 4 win season being imminent.

This roster lacks playmakers on both sides. The D won’t be awful, but I’m extremely concerned about the offensive side.

I actually have some modicum of faith in our D

But losing two offensive line starters, McCoy getting older, and either a rookie QB, 2nd QB, or career backup as our starter with marginal WR depth....I can't see us being able to move the ball down the field in any sustainable fashion.

We'll win a few games where we pick up 3-4 turnovers, but yeah, 8-8 is optimistic, 6-10 is probably pretty realistic.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think our D will be fine, but we can't bank on all those turnovers again. We didn't win a game last year when we didn't win the turnover differential. Takeaways are the least reliable defensive stat out there. If they all of a sudden have half the takeaways, even if they're just as good in terms of yard and point suppression, we could drop half our wins.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think our D will be fine, but we can't bank on all those turnovers again. We didn't win a game last year when we didn't win the turnover differential. Takeaways are the least reliable defensive stat out there. If they all of a sudden have half the takeaways, even if they're just as good in terms of yard and point suppression, we could drop half our wins.

Plus we'll definitely turn the ball over more on offense than we did with Tyrod

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
you lose credibility with me as a consumer of media content when you make outlandish and demeaning statements like "a parody of an NFL qb prospect." cmon. you can of course debate his merits as a prospect, but calling him a parody is irresponsible and condescending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->