Buffalo Bills: Offseason - 2019 Schedule Released with NFL Draft Upcoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Good rule of thumb is to never trade up in the 1st round, except for a QB.

What about 27, 92, 200 for 16 for Troy Polamalu? 13, 181 for 12 to get Ngata? 25, 59, 164 for 14 to get Revis? 26, 59, 118, 124 and a first next year for 6 to get Julio Jones?
There's tons of examples where trading up works. General rule of thumb is trading up is only worth it if the player is worth it.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
What about 27, 92, 200 for 16 for Troy Polamalu? 13, 181 for 12 to get Ngata? 25, 59, 164 for 14 to get Revis? 26, 59, 118, 124 and a first next year for 6 to get Julio Jones?
There's tons of examples where trading up works. General rule of thumb is trading up is only worth it if the player is worth it.
Well there are two “rules” for trading up (to those that agree with the philosophy). To get a QB or to fill that final spot your team needs to compete. The Falcons were definitely doing that with Jones. I don’t remember the situations with Revis and Polamalu, but just because the player was a success doesn’t mean it was the right move.

Polamalu won 2 rings in Pittsburgh. Easy to argue it was the right move. Revis only made two playoffs with the Jets. Would they have been a better team if they kept those picks? Hard to say.

Let’s be honest, GMs don’t KNOW who the best players will be. Some are better than others, but even the best ones miss on important picks. The best GMs know how to find less heralded players that fit their coaches system and Foster competition at every position. Oh, and having a good QB is important too (hence the reason to trade up to get one).

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY

Rules of thumb don't hold up 100% of the time, just most of the time. They're guidelines to be aware of so that you appropriately scrutinize your thought process if you are about to try to be the exception to the rule.

And its not like I made it up on the spot. It's just parroted common wisdom.

Reactions: Digable5

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
If a team has a distribution of talent which is biased toward the wrong-side of average NFL talent / average replacement-level talent, you'd be foolish to trade up for anything which isn't a glaring weakness which can't be solved in other methods / acquisitions. Instead, you need to acquire as many picks as possible which can provide players above average replacement value. You need more guys - plural - that can play. To me that means only trading up for a QB or a high-sack / high-pressure edge rusher or pass-rushing interior lineman. Stay away from everything else.

If a teams distribution of talent is solidly biased above the NFL talent median, then a team might be more selective in willing to trade up. i.e., You need one or two guys which are demonstrably better than what can be acquired via other means (lower draft position, UDFA, UFA, trade, internal roster shuffling).

Bills trade up for Sammy Watkins was pure folly given their roster situation at the time. And I'm a huge Clemson fan and Watkins supporter.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds are setting these leadership goals for the offseason

ink53e1sljpv1jyrtsfa.jpg

Both Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds realize their time is now.

Despite entering only their second season in the NFL, the teammates believe they must step forward as leaders. During the first day of voluntary offseason workouts, Allen and Edmunds were the two chosen to address the media on behalf of the team.

“That says a lot,” said head coach Sean McDermott. “It really does in terms of where we were last year, where we are now. Still a lot of work to do, but to have these two young men come out, from the way they carry themselves and represent the Buffalo Bills, I think it means a lot to not only myself, but to our football team, to our organization and hopefully our community.”

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
To be honest I liked the Edmunds trade up since it filled a glaring position of need & the player was an obvious fit. The cost of moving up wasn't stupid expensive either.

That said I'll be really annoyed if they did something like that this year though.

I want the best OT available or Hockenson. If you can do it with a trade down all the better.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I don't know enough about Grambling to judge his sources, but he picks Metcalf for the Bills because he's a WR and a "...reserved devoutly religious guy...". Look, I value team fit and locker room fit and positional fit, but that can't be the two highest factors Beane is looking for.

Beane: "Hey Sean, I know Metcalf has no agility, but we need a WR and I just don't see anyone nearly as religious. He has to be our pick."

Sean: "What about that video I sent you of Father Abraham? He doesn't have DK's size and speed, but anyone can beat his 3-cone drill. Plus, Father Abraham has a direct connection with the man upstairs".

Beane: "No, his sermons were far too eccentric. We need someone more reserved".

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
I would be shocked if Metcalf was the pick at 9.

If they stay at 9 I'm expecting Christian Wilkins or Jonah Williams.

I also fully expect them to attempt to trade up for Ed Oliver. I'm hoping their smart enough to see it's (likely) cost prohibitive.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I would be shocked if Metcalf was the pick at 9.

If they stay at 9 I'm expecting Christian Wilkins or Jonah Williams.

I also fully expect them to attempt to trade up for Ed Oliver. I'm hoping their smart enough to see it's (likely) cost prohibitive.
Wilkins would be a big surprise for me. He plays the same position as Star (NT). Can't see them using the #9 pick on a player just to rotate with their 50 million dollar signing from just a year ago.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
Wilkins would be a big surprise for me. He plays the same position as Star (NT). Can't see them using the #9 pick on a player just to rotate with their 50 million dollar signing from just a year ago.

Wilkins and Star would both be playing on the interior. He would be replacing Kyle Williams/Harrison Phillips. As would Ed Oliver.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
He is a three technique. He would slide into Kyle's spot.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
From what I've seen Wilkins projects much more as a nose than a 3 technique. I could be wrong. But I don't see the explosiveness the Bills want in their 3-tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad