Buffalo Bills: Offseason - 2019 Schedule Released with NFL Draft Upcoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Huh? The defense was ranked SECOND last year in total yards. Can't exactly go much higher than that.

Many have argued that’s because they were actually so far out of so many games early that other teams held back. The defense had no answer for the run at all in the important games.

There’s still lots of room for improvement on the defense. Yeah they stifled teams who tried to throw, but the good teams didn’t.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Many have argued that’s because they were actually so far out of so many games early that other teams held back. The defense had no answer for the run at all in the important games.

There’s still lots of room for improvement on the defense. Yeah they stifled teams who tried to throw, but the good teams didn’t.
They also had an anemic offense, which means they were on the field a lot more than most defenses.

Reactions: Zman5778

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Our defense might regress a bit next year. That's normal. But they will be fine either way. And that's all that I need out of my defense in the modern NFL. Having an "elite" defense is overrated (and rarely true).

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca

14xvh5.jpg

Reactions: brian_griffin

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Seven-round NFL Mock Draft 2019: 254 picks, 34 trades and full breakdowns for all 32 teams

Buffalo Bills

ROUNDOVERALLPLAYERNOTES
19DE Montez Sweat, Mississippi State
240WR Kelvin Harmon, NC State
374RB Devin Singletary, FAU
4112OT Max Scharping, Northern Illinois
4131DE Maxx Crosby, Eastern Michiganfrom KC
5147to Tampa Bay
5158CB Michael Jackson, Miamifrom PIT
6181TE Isaac Nauta, Georgia
7225SS Andrew Wingard, Wyoming
7228G Bunchy Stallings, Kentuckyfrom CAR
DT Gerald McCoy (from Tampa Bay)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last year my seven-round mock had the Bills trading up for Baker Mayfield then landing O-line help with Isaiah Wynn and grabbing D.J. Moore and Darius Leonard in the second round. Oh, what might have been. This year's crop doesn't look nearly as impressive, but that's what happens when you only have three picks in the first three rounds. Still, Sweat is an absolute athletic freak as an edge rusher who is still developing but will immediately improve the pass rush.

With no standout receivers in this class but plenty of quality options in the top 50 overall, the Bills are well-positioned to land the final piece of their passing-game rebuild in Round 2, and neither John Brown nor Cole Beasley bring the size and big-target ability of Harmon, who should quickly become Josh Allen's favorite target. Singletary outplays his short stature and brings a shot of youth into a veteran backfield as someone who can emerge as the primary ball-carrier down the road.

Part of the haul of this class is the Bills swapping a fifth-round pick to the Bucs for Gerald McCoy, who doesn't appear to be as good a fit with Tampa Bay's scheme change and brings a price tag the Bills can easily fit with their remaining cap space. As for the picks, Scharping can compete for the right tackle spot and has more upside than anyone the team has signed in free agency, while Crosby has the upside of a bookend starter with Sweat if he can develop. Jackson should be a good fit for the Bills defense, while Nauta was once thought a Day 2 pick before an awful combine, but he should at least provide competition for Jake Fisher as a blocking tight end. Wingard and Stallings are nice fliers for the seventh round, with Wingard able to contribute on special teams out the gate.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Seven-round NFL Mock Draft 2019: 254 picks, 34 trades and full breakdowns for all 32 teams

Buffalo Bills

ROUNDOVERALLPLAYERNOTES
19DE Montez Sweat, Mississippi State
240WR Kelvin Harmon, NC State
374RB Devin Singletary, FAU
4112OT Max Scharping, Northern Illinois
4131DE Maxx Crosby, Eastern Michiganfrom KC
5147to Tampa Bay
5158CB Michael Jackson, Miamifrom PIT
6181TE Isaac Nauta, Georgia
7225SS Andrew Wingard, Wyoming
7228G Bunchy Stallings, Kentuckyfrom CAR
DT Gerald McCoy (from Tampa Bay)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Last year my seven-round mock had the Bills trading up for Baker Mayfield then landing O-line help with Isaiah Wynn and grabbing D.J. Moore and Darius Leonard in the second round. Oh, what might have been. This year's crop doesn't look nearly as impressive, but that's what happens when you only have three picks in the first three rounds. Still, Sweat is an absolute athletic freak as an edge rusher who is still developing but will immediately improve the pass rush.

With no standout receivers in this class but plenty of quality options in the top 50 overall, the Bills are well-positioned to land the final piece of their passing-game rebuild in Round 2, and neither John Brown nor Cole Beasley bring the size and big-target ability of Harmon, who should quickly become Josh Allen's favorite target. Singletary outplays his short stature and brings a shot of youth into a veteran backfield as someone who can emerge as the primary ball-carrier down the road.

Part of the haul of this class is the Bills swapping a fifth-round pick to the Bucs for Gerald McCoy, who doesn't appear to be as good a fit with Tampa Bay's scheme change and brings a price tag the Bills can easily fit with their remaining cap space. As for the picks, Scharping can compete for the right tackle spot and has more upside than anyone the team has signed in free agency, while Crosby has the upside of a bookend starter with Sweat if he can develop. Jackson should be a good fit for the Bills defense, while Nauta was once thought a Day 2 pick before an awful combine, but he should at least provide competition for Jake Fisher as a blocking tight end. Wingard and Stallings are nice fliers for the seventh round, with Wingard able to contribute on special teams out the gate.
:bow: @26CornerBlitz I would be ecstatic if this is how the first 5 rounds went in the draft. Mostly because you acquired the DT we need without using the #9 pick. Maybe I would pick Hockenson instead of Sweat, but the man is a beast and should add to the pash rush and allow us to move on from Hughes/Lawson next offseason or sooner. I'm not someone clamoring for a #1 WR, but I love Kelvin Harmon in the second round. He's not a name that has come up often enough in these discussions. He has size, decent speed and great hands.

The 3rd is a little early for a RB (in my opinion), but I've watched some video on Singletary and like his elusiveness. OT is what I would probably opt for in round 3, but at this point there isn't much difference.

Jerry Hughes and Shaq Lawson are both under 6'3". Brandon Beane's addition to the DE's was Trent Murphy at 6'6" 260. Adding Sweat and Crosby at 6'5" 255 and bigger, should be an attractive pairing moving forward. Adding another TE, G and CB makes a lot of sense based on their depth. I don't need or want another S, but I wouldn't put it past them to take another special teamer. Very Well done!

Reactions: 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
WATCH: Buffalo Kickoff Live 2019 Mock Draft

9 - Buffalo Bills - TE TJ Hockenson, Iowa
There are plenty of needs the Buffalo Bills could address with the 9th overall pick. By all accounts, TJ Hockenson is a great pass catcher and blocker - two things that are pivotal in a young QB’s development. Throughout the combine head coach Sean McDermott expressed the importance of the position so they address it with the standout from Iowa.

9. Bills- TE T.J. Hockenson
Note: The Bills give Josh Allen and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll a big time weapon. The Iowa tight end would make an immediate impact on the Bills offense and could be used all over the field in different formations. Hockenson comes from the same program that produced Dallas Clark and George Kittle.... yes please.

9. Buffalo Bills - DL - Ed Oliver (Houston)
The Bills are in a great position to trade down and grab more picks or stay at nine and get a terrific talent on the defensive side. That’s exactly what they get here in Oliver, an elite defender who can step in and play right away, especially given how head coach Sean McDermott loves to rotate players up front. Oliver is incredibly explosive off the ball, which allows him to penetrate and disrupt plays in the backfield and even pressure the quarterback, something the Bills could really use from the interior defensive line. The knock on him is his frame. At 6' 2" and 287-pounds, he’s shorter and lighter than what you usually want from an interior defensive linemen, which is why he needs to rely on his speed, athleticism, and explosiveness off the ball to beat offensive linemen before they can really latch on to him. The Bills already have Star Lotulelei as their primary run-stuffing and block-eating defensive lineman, which means Oliver wouldn’t have to be used to do that right away and could play to his strengths as a penetrator and pursuer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad