Buffalo Bills: Offseason - 2019 Schedule Released with NFL Draft Upcoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I was told there are only two outcomes to NFL FA: 1) Overpaying for average talent, crippling team cap or 2) Ignoring it altogether and being chastised by a fanbase for not trying hard enough.

Did Beane create a third outcome? Yes, a handful of older players, but we have tons of cap for the next two years and every deal is loaded during those two years and will be easy to walk-away from late. Also, you've almost completely rehauled that terrible offense from last year and we aren't even at the draft yet.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Hmm - wonder if they are still in the mix for Williams? Probably too much to ask for but possible they could move Dawkins to G...

Either way - my fears are gone. McBeane is flat out getting the job done.

Slapshot85

Jul 1, 2011
I was told there are only two outcomes to NFL FA: 1) Overpaying for average talent, crippling team cap or 2) Ignoring it altogether and being chastised by a fanbase for not trying hard enough.

Did Beane create a third outcome? Yes, a handful of older players, but we have tons of cap for the next two years and every deal is loaded during those two years and will be easy to walk-away from late. Also, you've almost completely rehauled that terrible offense from last year and we aren't even at the draft yet.

It's similar to the Patroits' model. They don't go crazy for the top talent, but focus on role-specific players who fit, and pair well with Allen.

Reactions: Icicle

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
@Husko has it right.
I expected 1 WR signing not 2.

Jones
Foster
McKenzie
Beasley
Brown
D Williams

Is there space for anyone else ?
You can always carry extra WRs into camp, put one on the PS, or upgrade when other teams make final cuts. I'm not worried at all.

Duke Williams should be expected to be little more than a camp body at this point.
By my count, they have 3 guys that are better in the slot, in Beasley, Brown and McKenzie, Jones who is also kind of a slot guy, and Foster as the only real outside threat. They need another outside guy.
It's Brown.

Brown will be and has been fine as an outside guy.....when he has a competent QB to throw to him.

Just look at last year's splits between Flacco at QB and Jackson at QB.
Exactly.

Brown barely played in the slot last year. Beasley will be the true slot guy with likely him and Zay outside. Probably sees some slot time in 4 WR sets though.

Now go get Hockensen at 9
I hate the Cowboys but really like the Beasley pickup as: (1) a Vet who has been on a Division winner or playoff team 4 of past 5 years. (2) guy who gets separation.
At his size, you don't last as long as he has in the league without beating out (outworking) a couple guys each and every year. He's the anti-Kelvin.

Where does Hock go? Could we trade down and grab him?
I've seen Hockenson mocked as high as #8 to Detroit months ago. Anything can happen, but I don't see him dropping below 15-20 (admittedly, I don't follow the draft mocks too much that are aligned to team need pre-draft, because there are always 1st round trades between teams moving a few picks to get "their guy").

Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I don't get Ansah... With Hughes & Murphy already in there.

Surely it's going to be a big money deal - should that position really be that much of a priority?

I like the lower key type moves they're making. The big one which they needed to pay was the centre & they got that one done early.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
How are folks feeling about LB talent / LB depth? Any UFAs worth picking up? I feel the Bills talent / depth has been thin. An injury or two the past couple years and there's been a huge dropoff. At least that's my impression.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

Surely it's going to be a big money deal - should that position really be that much of a priority?

I like the lower key type moves they're making. The big one which they needed to pay was the centre & they got that one done early.

They have between 30-35 million of space still after the draft and some expected drops. Upgrades are upgrades

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

If there is one thing that would most help the defense, it is another pass rusher.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
They have between 30-35 million of space still after the draft and some expected drops. Upgrades are upgrades

That space can be useful in future. Don't have to use it all up right away.

With the way most of these deals are structured I'm hoping this is the way management sees the situation as well.

Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
D Williams bad medical or price must of been high ?

T Williams price high or wants different market ?

Ansah or another pass rusher and then later depth should be about it ?

Draft best players avaiable.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Hughes 1 year left on deal, Murphy injury questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad