Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I disagree on your first point. That site has the Bills biggest needs as CB & Edge.

This team had one of the best overall Ds in the entire league & imo improved in both positions over free agency. Neither are immediate needs. As said many times I believe Edge should be the focus of the 2021 R1 all being well.

Beane has done a great job strengthening everywhere... But the one clear biggest need is RB imo. I get why some people don't like drafting RBs in early rounds but it's still a fact.

I do think your site has more realistic player rankings though. I don't think my mock above is realistic:

R2 JK Dobbins - realistic position but I was drafting for team need.

R3 Curtis Weaver - steal - he is regularly mocked as a R2 or even late R1 pick

R4 KJ Hill - steal - even with the crazy depth at WR he is regularly mocked as a R3 pick

R5 Markus Bailey - probably the only other time I went for a particular position - I'm sure they add a LB to the mix in the mid rounds

R6 Jonah Jackson - absolute steal - regularly mocked in R2/R3 - I was hesitant to add a tackle since value there is top heavy imo but I think an interior guy like this could come in & contribute day 1. I have more faith than most in Ford I think.

R6 Juwan Johnson - probably my worst pick - nobody stood out here. Has some pedigree though so took a lottery ticket.

R7 Javelin Guidry - steal - regularly mocked in the mid rounds. Seems the versatile type McDermott likes to work with.

I actually wasn't paying any attention to what the website thinks the needs are. The needs just are CB2, RB2, RT, and long-term DE. I've done like 20 mocks and tried RB/CB, CB/OT, DE/RB, you name it. So I'm not saying the definitely will go CB/DE but they logically could.

And in the first place the needs are relatively small. They could play week 1 as is right now. In that situation you should be more inclined to just scoop value at high priority positions.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I actually wasn't paying any attention to what the website thinks the needs are. The needs just are CB2, RB2, RT, and long-term DE. I've done like 20 mocks and tried RB/CB, CB/OT, DE/RB, you name it. So I'm not saying the definitely will go CB/DE but they logically could.

And in the first place the needs are relatively small. They could play week 1 as is right now. In that situation you should be more inclined to just scoop value at high priority positions.

What do you think the depth chart would look like on offense if they were to go right now. Obviously a lot of other things will happen, but would you be comfortable having the same o-line as last year + more usage from Singletary?

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
What do you think the depth chart would look like on offense if they were to go right now. Obviously a lot of other things will happen, but would you be comfortable having the same o-line as last year + more usage from Singletary?

As of right now, something like:

QB - Allen, Barkley
RB - Singletary, Yeldon, Jones
WR - Diggs, Brown, Beasley, McKenzie, D Williams, Foster
TE/FB - Knox, Kroft, Sweeney, DiMarco
LT - Dawkins, Bates
LG - Spain, Long
C - Morse
RG - Feliciano, Boettger
RT - Ford, Nsekhe

I know a lot of people wanted OL additions, but running it back was always a non-awful possibility. The main idea people had was signing Bulaga or Conklin and moving Ford to guard, but once they re-signed Spain that seemed unlikely. They could still add someone in the draft but the odds of someone like Ezra Cleveland or Ben Bartch being an upgrade over Ford in year 1 is low.

RB they should definitely add someone in the draft or in late FA, but we could play a game right now with just these guys.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I'm not so sure Dobbins will last until 54, its no secret that Miami likes him a lot, I could see them taking him at 39, depending on what they do at 18 & 26. Gotta watch out for DET, CHI, BAL & TB too picking before 54, they all could look RB. Not sure the top 3 of Swift, Dobbins, Taylor are there. I think its more likely to look Benjamin, Gibson, Akers, Dillon...3rd and later (or trade around).

Seems like EDGE Julian Okwara is a popular mock around 54.

Wouldnt be oppossed to trading back from 54 to gain another 3rd/4th, talent seems to thin quite a bit after round 4 imo.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
As of right now, something like:

QB - Allen, Barkley
RB - Singletary, Yeldon, Jones
WR - Diggs, Brown, Beasley, McKenzie, D Williams, Foster
TE/FB - Knox, Kroft, Sweeney, DiMarco
LT - Dawkins, Bates
LG - Spain, Long
C - Morse
RG - Feliciano, Boettger
RT - Ford, Nsekhe

I know a lot of people wanted OL additions, but running it back was always a non-awful possibility. The main idea people had was signing Bulaga or Conklin and moving Ford to guard, but once they re-signed Spain that seemed unlikely. They could still add someone in the draft but the odds of someone like Ezra Cleveland or Ben Bartch being an upgrade over Ford in year 1 is low.

RB they should definitely add someone in the draft or in late FA, but we could play a game right now with just these guys.

It's an interesting thought that the majority of the roster is stable enough to start the season.

The thing that I would be concerned most about is hitching the wagons to Singletary & the Bills not having much confidence in playing Yeldon.

I think the Bills have to share the ball with Singletary in the way of an experienced veteran (not named Gore) that has some gas left in the tank and can catch the ball out of the backfield. Chris Thompson could be signed to a 1 year deal around 4-5mill. Another name that I've been mentioning is Lamar Miller. Even a guy like Ty Montgomery would be a decent gamble.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

The Bills had one of the best Ds in the league with Wallace as CB2 & the DL rotation. With the UFA additions it's arguable they have already strengthened both positions too.

Meanwhile - running Singletary into the ground as RB1 with TJ f***ing Yeldon as RB2 is a disaster waiting to happen.

The O was below par last season - Diggs is a massive boost but it still needs to be the priority.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
The Bills had one of the best Ds in the league with Wallace as CB2 & the DL rotation. With the UFA additions it's arguable they have already strengthened both positions too.

Meanwhile - running Singletary into the ground as RB1 with TJ f***ing Yeldon as RB2 is a disaster waiting to happen.

The O was below par last season - Diggs is a massive boost but it still needs to be the priority.

I never suggested they won't address RB at some point. They may use 54 on it or they may not. They may add a FA or use a later pick as well. Complaining about possibly using 54 on CB or DE specifically because of the RB situation as of today makes no sense.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
You guys crying about RBs still is hilarious

Our RB depth behind Singletary is basically non-existent. We have Yeldon, who's primarily a pass-catcher with a fumbling issue. We have Wade, who's a former rugby player who we have no idea if he can actually play.

Being concerned about our RB situation behind Allen makes complete sense, until we take care of it.

And I can't picture us using a 2nd day pick on a RB given how we just used one last year. This is why I was advocating for Howard/Gordon/Gurley on reasonable deals. I still wouldn't mind a guy like Freeman or Miller on a reasonable deal. Or Hyde. Peyton Barber would be a good thumper for us too.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Our RB depth behind Singletary is basically non-existent. We have Yeldon, who's primarily a pass-catcher with a fumbling issue. We have Wade, who's a former rugby player who we have no idea if he can actually play.

Being concerned about our RB situation behind Allen makes complete sense, until we take care of it.

And I can't picture us using a 2nd day pick on a RB given how we just used one last year. This is why I was advocating for Howard/Gordon/Gurley on reasonable deals. I still wouldn't mind a guy like Freeman or Miller on a reasonable deal. Or Hyde. Peyton Barber would be a good thumper for us too.

Can we wait till after the draft then? Ffs its obnoxious, if they were doing a free agent, they would have signed one by now. Its by far the least important position, just use limited assets and you will be fine. Im sure it will be addressed if the draft doesnt pan out

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Can we wait till after the draft then? Ffs its obnoxious, if they were doing a free agent, they would have signed one by now. Its by far the least important position, just use limited assets and you will be fine. Im sure it will be addressed if the draft doesnt pan out

They could be waiting on account of lack of physicals, especially for players come off of injury.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Can we wait till after the draft then? Ffs its obnoxious, if they were doing a free agent, they would have signed one by now. Its by far the least important position

I agree that RBs in football are kind of like goalies in the NHL. You need two good ones, but you don't need a superstar. We have one good one, not two. If we can patch that hole before the draft, great. If not, fine.....just don't blow a high pick on one. There should still be serviceable guys after the draft.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Exactly.

If it's addressed before the draft then it's much less concerning - but to be honest the better FA options are already gone - I'm not a huge fan of what's left.

But if the draft were tomorrow they would HAVE to add a difference making RB somewhere.

Right now it's the only hole on the roster. The only position I wouldn't be confident about if the season started tomorrow.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I agree that RBs in football are kind of like goalies in the NHL. You need two good ones, but you don't need a superstar. We have one good one, not two. If we can patch that hole before the draft, great. If not, fine.....just don't blow a high pick on one. There should still be serviceable guys after the draft.

I understand the analogy but a Swift or Dobbins has much more chance of being successful than a chance you take in the mid/late rounds imo.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
FWIW Barber has signed with the redskins.

No real loss imo. I don't think he's the type they need.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Anyone else concerned the pats will sign Newton? I know he hasn’t been good in a number of years, but he has boat loads of talent and could take them from an 8-8 team to a 10-6 team.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Exactly.

If it's addressed before the draft then it's much less concerning - but to be honest the better FA options are already gone - I'm not a huge fan of what's left.

But if the draft were tomorrow they would HAVE to add a difference making RB somewhere.

Right now it's the only hole on the roster. The only position I wouldn't be confident about if the season started tomorrow.
I wouldn't go that far. They did really well in FA thus far and obviously the Diggs trade filled a massive hole, but there's still some question marks on this team. Are we counting on Barkley as our primary backup QB? Because that doesn't seem like a great idea to me he's a below average backup imo. Ford being our starting right tackle worries me as well. Despite our adds at LB I don't see a guy that can adequately replace Alexander in this lineup, I don't have a lot of faith that an inferior player in Klein steps in and they don't miss a beat. I'd like a depth player at DB as well that can step in in case of injuries or if Norman really is just shot.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Still think Hyde is a really nice option, he's been productive outside of his brief stints/non-use in CLE/JAX. Not a ton of wear and tear for 29/30, coming off a nice season and he won't rock the boat being a situational 2RB, even caught 59 balls one year. Freeman/Miller don't interest me much. Could they add Hyde AND Thompson/Riddick/Powell to replace Yeldon? How bout a reclamation/injury project like Prosise?

and could always still use a Day 3 pick on a back. I still love Dillon, all of his combine numbers strangely mirror Henrys.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Anyone else concerned the pats will sign Newton? I know he hasn’t been good in a number of years, but he has boat loads of talent and could take them from an 8-8 team to a 10-6 team.

Hes a shell of himself. Not much talent to throw to, and McDermott knows him well. I hope they do sign him

Reactions: Eichel9

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
As @is the answer jesus noted, I'm also more concerned about backup QB than I am about #2 RB. There are many UDFA options at RB, players shake loose in camp, etc.

Another QB is essential, Bills will get one for the PS. I don't want to be in the position of an Allen injury for >2 games and having to pluck someone off another team's PS, or a semi-retired QB playing Madden on the couch, in order to have a chance at winning. The East will be a lot tighter this year top to bottom, Bills have a tougher schedule, and 1-2 games decided by injuries, health, and backups playing up to starter level could be the difference for the eventual division winner.

Reactions: is the answer jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino