Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
As @is the answer jesus noted, I'm also more concerned about backup QB than I am about #2 RB. There are many UDFA options at RB, players shake loose in camp, etc.

Another QB is essential, Bills will get one for the PS. I don't want to be in the position of an Allen injury for >2 games and having to pluck someone off another team's PS, or a semi-retired QB playing Madden on the couch, in order to have a chance at winning. The East will be a lot tighter this year top to bottom, Bills have a tougher schedule, and 1-2 games decided by injuries, health, and backups playing up to starter level could be the difference for the eventual division winner.
Here's hoping when QB musical chairs finally end, Bills legend Andy Dalton will still need a home, yeah, I'd be far more comfortable with him playing the vet backup role for Allen instead of Barkley :sarcasm:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
They have gone with Barkley for 1.5 years - I don't really see that changing.

Maybe they pick up a young guy in the late rounds / UDFA who sticks but I don't see a veteran QB2 being added.
Not opposed to Barkley on the roster.

But, the approach needs to be there's a backup QB providing a >50% chance of winning any divisional game (given their impact on the standings), and any game against a lesser opponent. If Allen's injured, I'm not worried about a backup trying to beat KC (home) and @San Fran, I'll take those losses.

I just don't want to turn any more games than necessary into coin flips in the event Allen is out for a while. Bills schedule already has 8-10 games which could go either way, or decided by < 1 touchdown.

I know I'm asking a lot, but where else would you (over) invest in an insurance policy?

-------------
Also, BuffaloBills.com reporting Isaiah McKenzie signed a 1-year deal. Nine WR currently on roster.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Freeman would be a nice add on a 1 year deal if we can't get Dobbins.

Hot Rod in round 5 would be awesome Hauschka is still awful. Bring in a few punters this summer too.

Our main weaknesses are...

1B RB
A Kicker
a punter
And maybe another depth lineman who can start. Bates, Long etc don't excite me.

For the draft if we can add a RB, CB and DE with our 2 , 3 and 4 and then Blankenship in round 5 we are set. Round 2 should be an immediate starter caliber player, round 3 is a starter/top backup type pick and round 4 is usually a top backup. We are so deep we don't need any immediate help aside from RB and that is easiest to fill.

11+ wins and a division title. My prediction for this upcoming season as of today. Even if the Pats add Newton or Flacco or Dalton we are the new top dog. Feels amazing.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Anyone else concerned the pats will sign Newton? I know he hasn’t been good in a number of years, but he has boat loads of talent and could take them from an 8-8 team to a 10-6 team.
No, they don’t have the cap space (currently sit at about $5M) and they signed Hoyer.

I think they’re likely going to roll with Hoyer and Stidham. Hoyer knows the system and has played games for NE before. I really think they want Stidham to win the job though. Belichick supposedly likes him and thinks he has potential.

I could also see them drafting a QB.

But I’d be surprised if they signed Cam.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Hot Rod in round 5 would be awesome Hauschka is still awful. Bring in a few punters this summer too.

1B RB
A Kicker
a punter

For the draft if we can add a RB, CB and DE with our 2 , 3 and 4 and then Blankenship in round 5 we are set. Round 2 should be an immediate starter caliber player, round 3 is a starter/top backup type pick and round 4 is usually a top backup. We are so deep we don't need any immediate help aside from RB and that is easiest to fill.

11+ wins and a division title. My prediction for this upcoming season as of today. Even if the Pats add Newton or Flacco or Dalton we are the new top dog. Feels amazing.
Definitely think we have an advantage going into the season. I like what the Dolphins have done, though spending a lot in FA doesnt usually equate to success. They should have their QB of the future on a rookie contract, so may as well spend now. They still dont have a good o line, tho. And outside of Parker, who hasn't proven a lot, they dont have many weapons. Their defense should be solid tho, and I like Flores as a coach.

Pats may have to do a mini retool. BB can get the most out of his QBs, and their defense should still be stout. Gotta think they could challenge us for top of the division.

The Jets are just a mess. I understand wanting to build through the draft, but when your supposed future franchise QB is entering his 3rd year, you need to do whatever it takes to build him a line and get him weapons even if that means overspending in FA a bit.

Somehow their line still looks like trash, and they have less weapons on offense than last year. That's not even getting into the fact that they have Adam f***ing Gase as their HC. They'll be fighting for 8 wins again this year. They wont be an easy win because their defense is strong but they ain't making any noise this year.

Last edited:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think you’re right, but I wish you weren’t. Barkley isn’t good, even by nfl backup standards. If Allen went down our season is overr

I think if most QB1's go down for any length of time the season is over for their team. Just got to accept it.

I understand & agree with the logic of not using a bunch of cap on a player who in an ideal world won't play a single snap.

What happened to the big board? Can we get that going again today? Would be cool to have it completed to the point where we can discuss the Bills @54.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

1B RB
A Kicker
a punter

I don't agree with your opinion on Hauschka. But otherwise agree with this.

If they feel they can get an improvement by drafting a kicker then I'm all for it. But wouldn't expect it especially since Hauschka just got a new contract & seems to be a 'culture' guy.

Do agree they need an upgrade at punter. Maybe Vedvik comes in & takes the job?

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I think if most QB1's go down for any length of time the season is over for their team. Just got to accept it.

It's proven to be an important position recently. The Saints and Chiefs both had their backups play a significant number of games last year. The Titans literally made the playoffs because of their backup. Right now the team is good enough to go .500 with a decent backup, but we'll struggle win anything with Barkley. Unfortunately none of the remaining options are terribly appealing. Mariota would have been a good option but Gruden's man crush was much too strong.

What happened to the big board? Can we get that going again today? Would be cool to have it completed to the point where we can discuss the Bills @54.

I don't want to step on the usual voting procedure, so maybe we can run this in parallel? I set up a crowd-sourced list sorting survey:

All Our Ideas - Buffalo 54

It presents users with an infinite number of this-or-that prompts, and converges on a big board that reflects the preferences of the group as more and more votes are cast. Obviously, please ignore the relative unlikelihood that say, Joe Burrow is there are 54. I just added around 100 players and the big board will start from pick #1.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I understand & agree with the logic of not using a bunch of cap on a player who in an ideal world won't play a single snap.

Yes, absolutely. Though as I said anyone else should feel free to throw up polls. I'm still working, but some days are much busier than others. Here's the next one. I have it set so that anyone that votes can see the results. If anyone wants to throw up the next one when it's decisive.

Chase Young won with 54% of the vote. Wirfs gets the add.

1. Burrow (56%)
2. Young (54%)

HF Bills Big Board #3

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Yes, absolutely. Though as I said anyone else should feel free to throw up polls. I'm still working, but some days are much busier than others. Here's the next one. I have it set so that anyone that votes can see the results. If anyone wants to throw up the next one when it's decisive.

1. Burrow (56%)
2. Young (54%)

HF Bills Big Board #3

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

1. Burrow (56%)
2. Young (54%)

HF Bills Big Board #3

Nice.

Tua again.

Hard to know who to add at this point. I went for Swift - yeah position bias.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
It's proven to be an important position recently. The Saints and Chiefs both had their backups play a significant number of games last year. The Titans literally made the playoffs because of their backup. Right now the team is good enough to go .500 with a decent backup, but we'll struggle win anything with Barkley. Unfortunately none of the remaining options are terribly appealing. Mariota would have been a good option but Gruden's man crush was much too strong.

The Saints had Teddy B as a luxury (he probably thought Brees was going to retire which is why he turned down starting roles elsewhere). They won't have that luxury this year.

Anyone could win with the Chiefs O. Barkley could I have no doubt.

Mariiota has signed in LV to have a shot at winning the job. Carr isn't keeping it.

None of these examples really equate to the Bills or most other teams' situations.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I don't agree with your opinion on Hauschka. But otherwise agree with this.

If they feel they can get an improvement by drafting a kicker then I'm all for it. But wouldn't expect it especially since Hauschka just got a new contract & seems to be a 'culture' guy.

Do agree they need an upgrade at punter. Maybe Vedvik comes in & takes the job?
They put a claim in on McLaughlin a few weeks after Haushka's inked his extension. Beane is driven by getting better and if it ends up costing them money, I don't think he cares much. Sidenote, Hauschka hot his shit straight after that, I fully expect them to bring in a camp leg like McLaughlin last year. Aguayo, Alberts or Moreno should be UDFA.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Unpopular opinion: I’d be all aboard bringing in Cam to backup Allen.
Highly unpopular. He would lose his shit not playing the first time hero Josh rears his head. We don't need that in the locker room. I wouldn't mind kicking tires if Barkley looks shot in preseason. Also, curious about Webb. There was something there when he came out. Cam should go to Tampa and learn from Brady and be ready when to play when that oline puts Brady on a stretcher.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
They put a claim in on McLaughlin a few weeks after Haushka's inked his extension. Beane is driven by getting better and if it ends up costing them money, I don't think he cares much. Sidenote, Hauschka hot his shit straight after that, I fully expect them to bring in a camp leg like McLaughlin last year. Aguayo, Alberts or Moreno should be UDFA.
In addition to the UDFAs, from what little I saw of the XFL, there are enough extra P's & K's floating around who can provide camp competition, and I bet many of them earn a spot. The kicking games were near NFL caliber (and the new rules were pretty cool).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->