Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The Bills offense was more than one playmaker away from being a difference maker. I still feel we are weak at the TE position in talent and utilization as well as a solid complement to Singletary away.

I feel they need to do more work to have a contender-level offense in this league. And this is even taking into account an improved Allen which is overall the most important thing we need to see.

I also don’t have much trust in DaBoll being able to create explosive offensive gameplans to handle teams that have that ability. IMO, we will continue to lean heavily on the defense and play the ball control game like we did last year.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
The Bills offense was more than one playmaker away from being a difference maker. I still feel we are weak at the TE position in talent and utilization as well as a solid complement to Singletary away.

I feel they need to do more work to have a contender-level offense in this league. And this is even taking into account an improved Allen which is overall the most important thing we need to see.

I also don’t have much trust in DaBoll being able to create explosive offensive gameplans to handle teams that have that ability. IMO, we will continue to lean heavily on the defense and play the ball control game like we did last year.
Agreed. Keeping Croom and Kroft were head scratchers. There isn't a guy I really like in our group outside of Knox.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Agreed. Keeping Croom and Kroft were head scratchers. There isn't a guy I really like in our group outside of Knox.
I've got no beef with Croom. Cheap camp body whose shown ability in the past.

I too don't like keeping Kroft. I would've preferred to dump him and use the camp savings elsewhere. Must be they like him enough to keep him over another TE though.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
considering our TEs are asked to block, I think he would be terrible fit for our offensive scheme

This is why I wanted Hockenson so much last year.

I too am surprised Kroft wasn't cut. But OTOH there weren't that many great UFA options & it's a weak year in the draft.

I hope Knox can develop while Kroft rebounds into a solid #2.

Reactions: Puppa2Miller

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

The offense as is I expect to move from 24th to 20th or so overall. Diggs is a really good player but I expect him to simply replace targets from Brown based on the way this offense was run last year.

Last year on passing plays the first read for Allen was either Brown or Beasley. This year I expect that to now be Diggs or Beasley.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I’m not as high on Knox as some are. I don’t think he’s that dynamic of a player. I hope to be proven wrong. Good teams have at least one safety valve for their QB. It helps in a young QB’s development. We don’t have a TE that is a weapon in a passing attack. We really need that to attack the middle of the field better. Beasley can only do so much, and he had inconsistency in creating separation last year.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I’m not as high on Knox as some are. I don’t think he’s that dynamic of a player. I hope to be proven wrong. Good teams have at least one safety valve for their QB. It helps in a young QB’s development. We don’t have a TE that is a weapon in a passing attack. We really need that to attack the middle of the field better. Beasley can only do so much, and he had inconsistency in creating separation last year.
I actually agree with you. I think Knox gets a bit overrated by Bills fans. Probably because the bar has been set so low at the TE position here. I'd really like that super athletic mismatch TE that's become popular in the new NFL, but for whatever reason this organization doesn't seem to value that type of player.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I've got no beef with Croom. Cheap camp body whose shown ability in the past.

I too don't like keeping Kroft. I would've preferred to dump him and use the camp savings elsewhere. Must be they like him enough to keep him over another TE though.
Yeah honestly keeping Croom isn't some egregious thing, mostly based on the fact he costs very little, but guys like him are cut every year. I just see a whole lot of bodies at TE and very little upside. Knox had some nice flashes and I like him more than any TE we've had here in the last decade, but that isn't saying much. Sweeney looks like there's potential to maybe carve out an NFL role, but again is there immense upside there? Probably not. Smith is a pure blocking TE, Kroft is a below average guy that can't stay healthy. Just a whole lot of meh.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I actually agree with you. I think Knox gets a bit overrated by Bills fans. Probably because the bar has been set so low at the TE position here. I'd really like that super athletic mismatch TE that's become popular in the new NFL, but for whatever reason this organization doesn't seem to value that type of player.

New England and other teams killed us for decades with their TE’s and we never learned that maybe through the years we struggled with QB play because our talent at that position sucked so badly. We tried reinventing and have rebuilt so many times but never touched that position. Our best season from a TE in the modern era was Scott Chandler in 2013 and he had 655 yard and 2 TDs then.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
With their highest pick now a 2nd rounder and my preference to use that on o-line, is there any merit to try to be in position to get Chase Claypool and use him at TE?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
With their highest pick now a 2nd rounder and my preference to use that on o-line, is there any merit to try to be in position to get Chase Claypool and use him at TE?
I like that as an outside the box type of idea. Worst case Claypool adds a different dimension to our WR group, but having watched quite a but of ND I think he'd transition well to TE. He's always been a very willing blocker and he's bulked up in his time leading up to the combine. My preference is also that they go OL as Ford leaves me very anxious with his up and down play last year, but I like this as an alternative to get a potentially dynamic piece on this team

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
New England and other teams killed us for decades with their TE’s and we never learned that maybe through the years we struggled with QB play because our talent at that position sucked so badly. We tried reinventing and have rebuilt so many times but never touched that position. Our best season from a TE in the modern era was Scott Chandler in 2013 and he had 655 yard and 2 TDs then.

I fully expect NE to focus on TE in this draft. Would not be surprised if their first pick is Cole Kmet, TE.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So with the NFL draft a little over 30 days away, and several of us homebound and restless, anyone interested in running a daily Bills draft big board poll? I might not have the time or energy to run it daily, but maybe it could be shared? With multiple polls per day on blowout results, perhaps we could get a board big enough that some of the options are still left when the Bills are on the clock? Here's the first one, I guess we can see where it goes?

Poll #1 Link Here

I used PFF's top 10 big board. As always vote and add one. It's obviously more fun if you discuss your selection here.

I'm voting for Burrow. I imagine Chase Young wins, but if there's a chance for the best QB prospect since Luck, I take it and trade Allen. Not an Allen hater, but I'm way more sold on Burrow than I am on Allen.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
I'm confused by this take on Knox, his athleticism is borderline elite. He was drafted to be exactly that physical mismatch, his knock in college was lack of production/targets.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
So with the NFL draft a little over 30 days away, and several of us homebound and restless, anyone interested in running a daily Bills draft big board poll? I might not have the time or energy to run it daily, but maybe it could be shared? With multiple polls per day on blowout results, perhaps we could get a board big enough that some of the options are still left when the Bills are on the clock? Here's the first one, I guess we can see where it goes?

Poll #1 Link Here

I used PFF's top 10 big board. As always vote and add one. It's obviously more fun if you discuss your selection here.

I'm voting for Burrow. I imagine Chase Young wins, but if there's a chance for the best QB prospect since Luck, I take it and trade Allen. Not an Allen hater, but I'm way more sold on Burrow than I am on Allen.

Nice idea.

Voted Burrow add Mekhi Becton

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm confused by this take on Knox, his athleticism is borderline elite. He was drafted to be exactly that physical mismatch, his knock in college was lack of production/targets.

I just don’t see that “borderline elite” athleticism in Knox. For being a physical mismatch he has trouble getting any type of separation and he doesn’t box guys out that the actual elite athletic TEs do in this league. Not only that but he doesn’t have any sort of speed to pull away from guys in the open field. Sure we saw him take guys on and lower the boom a couple of time, but if he’s not able to improve in the other areas to gain that space and time he will limit what the Bills can do offensively.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
agreed. Great athleticism. Only question is whether his hands improve enough to be counted on.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
As he ever played in line? Can he block linebackers? Or is he just big?
yes, but Not regularly.
Yes.
Yes, but also skilled.

Had a good combine 4.42 40 and 40.5 vertical. Projected as possible switch to TE, but with those numbers will probably remain a WR in most scouts minds. Be a difficult CB matchup. Some project him as a 3rd rounder. I think a team wanting him won’t let him slip beyond that.
(In college there was speculation he could also play LB or DE. He seems like a Jason Peters-lite.)

Sorry for terse reply on phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad