Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2016-17: Part VII (7-9) – The Tyrod Decision & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I honestly think the bills front office is trying to tank now. I mean they made no serious moves in free agency..lets' see what they do at the draft. But it looks like they're trying to get the USC QB or someone at the top of the draft next year.

Not saying I support it, but I just get this vibe that they're okay with a true tank season (2-14).

They are up against the cap. Not much they can do. Last year they lost hogan for the same reason. They had no space.

Surprised they took this long to cut Graham. He really just hasn't been very good at safety, despite the "versatility" narrative.His lackluster play has been one of the biggest problems on this defense the past 2 years. Factor in that his cap figure was starter money (albeit low level starter), and cutting him seems obvious.

Graham was expected. His cap cut dad space penalty vs cap space available if he was cut was a no brainer.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
They are up against the cap. Not much they can do. Last year they lost hogan for the same reason. They had no space.

Graham was expected. His cap cut dad space penalty vs cap space available if he was cut was a no brainer.

False. Bills have plenty of space right now and can gain several million more by converting Dareus and Glenn's contracts. This is nothing like last year. Yeah they don't have Cleveland or San Fran level of cap space but to insinuate they are currently pressed against the cap and unable to sign a decent player is not true at all.

The Alexander deal is not good. He will almost assuredly see his sack total cut in half due to the new scheme and it is just a head scratching move, like almost everything else OBD does. I think this team really thinks it's a great idea to go into the season with a bunch of unproven WRs and Watkins who will probably be injured by week 5.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
So wait, Brady has Edelman, Cooks, Amendola, Hogan, Gronk, and Allen? Who am I missing? Mitchell had a nice Super Bowl so maybe him too. They are automatic.

Satellite backs Lewis and White.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Lorenzo's contract isn't bad at all. Surprising, thought someone coming off his sack totals would get more cash from a 3-4 team looking for pass rush. But we got him for a decent price. That said, I don't think he's a good scheme fit, but yes am intrigued to see how they use him.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Lorenzo's contract isn't bad at all. Surprising, thought someone coming off his sack totals would get more cash from a 3-4 team looking for pass rush. But we got him for a decent price. That said, I don't think he's a good scheme fit, but yes am intrigued to see how they use him.

guy plays his entire career as 1 type of player and in his 30's has 1 crazy season, 2.;5 sacks over the last 7 games of the season, going into a new system, I'm ready for this to be the new "fire Whaley" signing

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

He's not a good fit for a true 4-3, but I'm not sure we're going to be running a "true" 4-3. McDermott has stressed flexibility...I think we'll see a variety of fronts.

Being able to trot out some combo of Hughes-Lawson-Dareus-Alexander on passing downs will certainly be a nice thing.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
False. Bills have plenty of space right now and can gain several million more by converting Dareus and Glenn's contracts. This is nothing like last year. Yeah they don't have Cleveland or San Fran level of cap space but to insinuate they are currently pressed against the cap and unable to sign a decent player is not true at all.

The Alexander deal is not good. He will almost assuredly see his sack total cut in half due to the new scheme and it is just a head scratching move, like almost everything else OBD does. I think this team really thinks it's a great idea to go into the season with a bunch of unproven WRs and Watkins who will probably be injured by week 5.

Everything is a trade off. Big long FA deals use cap for subsequent years as well. If an FA walks after a 1 year deal the team is back to square one. Converting and restructuring kicks the can down the road.

I expect the team to be worse on paper this year. Measures to avert that at any cost are misguided. They don't need to be better on paper this year. We should see what the team looks like when competently coached, before we committing significant resources to anything.

They are going to add WRs and DBs in the draft, anyways.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I can't imagine there's much if any guaranteed money in that Mills deal, in which case they can cut him in training camp if desired.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Everything is a trade off. Big long FA deals use cap for subsequent years as well. If an FA walks after a 1 year deal the team is back to square one. Converting and restructuring kicks the can down the road.

I expect the team to be worse on paper this year. Measures to avert that at any cost are misguided. They don't need to be better on paper this year. We should see what the team looks like when competently coached, before we committing significant resources to anything.

They are going to add WRs and DBs in the draft, anyways.

We have 6 picks, and no extra early picks. You should expect a starter with your first and second rounders and quality backups/potential starters in the third and fourth. Anything past that is a crap shoot. We can't fill all our holes with draft picks.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
We have 6 picks, and no extra early picks. You should expect a starter with your first and second rounders and quality backups/potential starters in the third and fourth. Anything past that is a crap shoot. We can't fill all our holes with draft picks.
I could see two trade downs, that would accumulate more early picks

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I don't like the Alexander deal. He wasn't very impressive the second half of the season. Bills need a ton of secondary help and some NFL WRs.... so naturally they sign a couple Fullbacks.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
It's March 11th. If they still have roster flaws going into minicamp I'll be a bit more put out.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY

Say they draft a CB and WR in the first two rounds. The offensive personnel would be basically the same as last year minus Woods plus the rookie. Swap out fullbacks here and there. Can't be that bad, they were like 10th in points last year.

DL is the same, LBs are the same minus Z Brown plus Ragland, and the DBs are almost completely redone. The unit as a whole is worse on paper this year, but the rookie's contract is obviously better than Gilmore's in the long run. All that really matters is whether or not McDermott and Frazier can coach them up better than the previous guys.

Drought or not this simply isn't a playoffs ultimatum situation this year with a new rookie coach taking over an underperforming team.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I think they're hoping Charles Clay will live up to his contract and actually be the #2 option in the passing game behind Watkins. They may use the draft to add a WR, but I'd like to see them add help in the secondary with the #10 pick. Right now, it's what, Darby/Seymour at CB and Hyde/Poyer at safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad