Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2016-17: Part VII (7-9) – The Tyrod Decision & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I understand the need for DB's, but in just soooo tired of drafting CB's and safety's. Gilmore, Darby, Whitner, Winfield, Clements, etc etc... I know that "boring" can win, but I just don't get it. can't those guys be found deeper. It's like Buffalo has a sign over their draft table "welcoming all DB's and RB's" like they're trying to be the Oakland A's of the NFL and find overdraft an undervalued position or something. Just annoying, but I can just feel CB or S, and it'll be a guy who in 5 years we're happy to have go elsewhere.

Pessimistic I know, just my guys feeling

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I understand the need for DB's, but in just soooo tired of drafting CB's and safety's. Gilmore, Darby, Whitner, Winfield, Clements, etc etc... I know that "boring" can win, but I just don't get it. can't those guys be found deeper. It's like Buffalo has a sign over their draft table "welcoming all DB's and RB's" like they're trying to be the Oakland A's of the NFL and find overdraft an undervalued position or something. Just annoying, but I can just feel CB or S, and it'll be a guy who in 5 years we're happy to have go elsewhere.

Pessimistic I know, just my guys feeling

Hypothesis - Buffalo's penchant for drafting DBs is one of the few things they have done correctly. It is unfairly harped on due to the drought, which actually stems from several other issues.

New England R1-R3 picks since 2007:

2016 - 2 - CB - Cyrus Jones
2016 - 3 - G - Joe Thuney
2016 - 3 - QB - Jacoby Brissett

2015 - 1 - DT - Malcom Brown
2015 - 2 - DB - Jordan Richards
2015 - 3 - DE - Geneo Grissom

2014 - 1 - DT - Dominique Easley
2014 - 2 - QB - Jimmy Garoppolo

2013 - 2 - LB - Jamie Collins
2013 - 2 - WR - Aaron Dobson
2013 - 3 - DB - Logan Ryan
2013 - 3 - DB - Duron Harmon

2012 - 1 - DE - Chandler Jones
2012 - 1 - LB - Dont'a Hightower
2012 - 2 - DB - Tavon Wilson
2012 - 3 - DE - Jake Bequette

2011 - 1 - OT - Nate Solder
2011 - 2 - DB - Ras-I Dowling
2011 - 2 - RB - Shane Vereen
2011 - 3 - RB - Stevan Ridley
2011 - 3 - QB - Ryan Mallett

2010 - 1 - DB - Devin McCourty
2010 - 2 - TE - Rob Gronkowski
2010 - 2 - LB - Jermaine Cunningham
2010 - 2 - LB - Brandon Spikes
2010 - 3 - WR - Taylor Price

2009 - 2 - DB - Patrick Chung
2009 - 2 - DT - Ron Brace
2009 - 2 - DB - Darius Butler
2009 - 2 - OT - Sebastian Vollmer
2009 - 3 - WR - Brandon Tate
2009 - 3 - LB - Tyrone McKenzie

2008 - 1 - LB - Jerod Mayo
2008 - 2 - DB - Terrence Wheatley
2008 - 3 - LB - Shawn Crable
2008 - 3 - QB - Kevin O'Connell

2007 - 1 - DB - Brandon Meriweather

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I think they're hoping Charles Clay will live up to his contract and actually be the #2 option in the passing game behind Watkins. They may use the draft to add a WR, but I'd like to see them add help in the secondary with the #10 pick. Right now, it's what, Darby/Seymour at CB and Hyde/Poyer at safety?

I think they're hoping Charles Clay will live up to his contract and actually be the #2 option in the passing game behind Watkins. They may use the draft to add a WR, but I'd like to see them add help in the secondary with the #10 pick. Right now, it's what, Darby/Seymour at CB and Hyde/Poyer at safety?

The secondary is stacked compared to the receiving corps. Have you seen our WRs? Right now either Walt Powell or Kolby Listenbee (a guy drafted in the 6th or 7h round last year who didn't play a snap) are our #2/3 with Philly Brown as a fringe #4. That is horrendous. We need to draft a WR bad.

What I'd like to see...

Sign Andre Smith,Morris Claiborne and Cordarelle Patterson. Patterson could be our #3 and is an elite kick returner. Claiborne was drafted ahead of Gilmore that year and even though he hasn't lived up to his draft position he can still be a solid #2 corner. Smith has struggled but has shown to be a good tackle in the past. I'd prefer him over Mills.

And for the draft, his is assuming there are willing partners. Just using # position not taking into consideration what team actually owns the pick.

Pick 10 is worth 1300. Trade #10 to pick 18 (900) and 50 (400). Even value. Trade #18 (900) and #75 (215) for 23 (760),55 (350).

That gives us:

#23,44,50,55,139,152,16

That gives us a 1st and 3 2nds. That should be 4 quality starters. Target JuJu with the 1st rounder. He would complement Sammy nicely and he doesn't turn 21 until late during the upcoming season. Loads of potential. Draft 2 defensive backs and a LB with the 3 2nds. Draft is loaded with corners. With the 3 late round picks target another WR,OL and a LB. If one of the 3 makes the roster then that's even better.

I know it's not realistic predicting trade downs and of course you have to find a willing partner but if the Bills were able to add at least one extra 2nd this year that would be huge.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The secondary is stacked compared to the receiving corps. Have you seen our WRs? Right now either Walt Powell or Kolby Listenbee (a guy drafted in the 6th or 7h round last year who didn't play a snap) are our #2/3 with Philly Brown as a fringe #4. That is horrendous. We need to draft a WR bad.

What I'd like to see...

Sign Andre Smith,Morris Claiborne and Cordarelle Patterson. Patterson could be our #3 and is an elite kick returner. Claiborne was drafted ahead of Gilmore that year and even though he hasn't lived up to his draft position he can still be a solid #2 corner. Smith has struggled but has shown to be a good tackle in the past. I'd prefer him over Mills.

And for the draft, his is assuming there are willing partners. Just using # position not taking into consideration what team actually owns the pick.

Pick 10 is worth 1300. Trade #10 to pick 18 (900) and 50 (400). Even value. Trade #18 (900) and #75 (215) for 23 (760),55 (350).

That gives us:

#23,44,50,55,139,152,16

That gives us a 1st and 3 2nds. That should be 4 quality starters. Target JuJu with the 1st rounder. He would complement Sammy nicely and he doesn't turn 21 until late during the upcoming season. Loads of potential. Draft 2 defensive backs and a LB with the 3 2nds. Draft is loaded with corners. With the 3 late round picks target another WR,OL and a LB. If one of the 3 makes the roster then that's even better.

I know it's not realistic predicting trade downs and of course you have to find a willing partner but if the Bills were able to add at least one extra 2nd this year that would be huge.

I can see buffalo trading down and adding a 2nd in the deal.

They need to pick a WR among those 4 picks.

Buffalo has Watkins snd Clay as well as very good rb in the passing game.

I wouldn't use the 1st on a WR. I'd use it on a CB.

In the 2nd draft a OL, WR, and DB

I do see buffalo ssigning 2 wRs.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Buffalo needs to draft a WR in the first round. As bad as DB is WR is worst. The last thing you want to do is enter the reason with an often injuries WR1 and question marks everywhere else. DBs, while not great, are in a much better spot

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Trade down and add a 2nd or perhaps even a 2nd and a 3rd in the deal. Picking at 10 would be useless for the bills, they need more draft picks..too many holes to plug. In a deep draft of corners (and a solid number of WRs)...go get a couple of each!

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Just another #4 WR type like Philly Brown.

Would love to see a first round WR as the #2 and signing Patterson, Boldin or VJax as a #3 WR.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
QB Tyrod Taylor
QB Cardale Jones
QB
RB LeSean McCoy
RB Mike Gillislee
RB Jonathan Williams
FB Patrick DiMarco
FB Mike Tolbert
WR Sammy Watkins
WR
WR Philly Brown
WR Jeremy Butler
WR Lewis/Powell/Listenbee
TE Charles Clay
TE
TE Nick O'Leary
TE Blake Annen
OT Cordy Glenn
OT Cyrus Kouandjio
OT
OT Jordan Mills
G Richie Incognito
G John Miller
G Vlad Ducasse
C Eric Wood
C Lewis/Groy
DE Jerry Hughes
DE Shaq Lawson
DE Ryan Davis
DE
DT Marcell Dareus
DT Kyle Williams
DT Adolphus Washington
DT Jerel Worthy
LB Lorenzo Alexander
LB Reggie Ragland
LB Preston Brown
LB IK Enemkpali
LB Ramon Humber
LB
LB
CB Ronald Darby
CB Kevon Seymour
CB
CB
CB Roberson/Gaines
S Micah Hyde
S Jordan Poyer
S Colt Anderson
S
LS Reid Ferguson
K Steven Hauschka
P Colton Schmidt

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I believe IK is long gone. And hopefully we can move poyer/anderson and seymour down the depth chart. Hopefully the team is well coached

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
QB Tyrod Taylor
QB Cardale Jones
QB
RB LeSean McCoy
RB Mike Gillislee
RB Jonathan Williams
FB Patrick DiMarco
FB Mike Tolbert
WR Sammy Watkins
WR
WR Philly Brown
WR Jeremy Butler
WR Lewis/Powell/Listenbee
TE Charles Clay
TE
TE Nick O'Leary
TE Blake Annen
OT Cordy Glenn
OT Cyrus Kouandjio
OT
OT Jordan Mills
G Richie Incognito
G John Miller
G Vlad Ducasse
C Eric Wood
C Lewis/Groy
DE Jerry Hughes
DE Shaq Lawson
DE Ryan Davis
DE
DT Marcell Dareus
DT Kyle Williams
DT Adolphus Washington
DT Jerel Worthy
LB Lorenzo Alexander
LB Reggie Ragland
LB Preston Brown
LB IK Enemkpali
LB Ramon Humber
LB
LB
CB Ronald Darby
CB Kevon Seymour
CB
CB
CB Roberson/Gaines
S Micah Hyde
S Jordan Poyer
S Colt Anderson
S
LS Reid Ferguson
K Steven Hauschka
P Colton Schmidt
Thanks for doing that, highlights where they still have roster holes (not counting where they're just plain weak at starting spots). I'd love if they added enough bodies in free agency that they could take a qb in the second and not feel like we're sacrificing big time. This likely means adding a #2 wr or corner in free agency, then drafting safety at 10. Would love to nab mahomes with our second. He's exactly the kind of guy I'd love to sit behind tyrod for 2 years then see what he's got.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
All the holes except RT are supposed to be deep in the draft. I'm sure people would much rather huge UFA signings to have filled those gaps, but this is a good place to be. McDermott only has himself to blame for the team next season I would think.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for doing that, highlights where they still have roster holes (not counting where they're just plain weak at starting spots). I'd love if they added enough bodies in free agency that they could take a qb in the second and not feel like we're sacrificing big time. This likely means adding a #2 wr or corner in free agency, then drafting safety at 10. Would love to nab mahomes with our second. He's exactly the kind of guy I'd love to sit behind tyrod for 2 years then see what he's got.

Yeah I wasn't really predicting spots or depth chart, just trying to put the roster into perspective. I agree with your points. Still hoping they ink Andre Smith to compete with Mills. My daily draft prediction is now Peppers because he addresses depth at both S and LB, depending on alignment, and also frees up Hyde to play some corner.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Wouldn't Peppers replace the guy we got from the Browns and not Hyde though? Yeah, it gives us depth in that Chancellor hybrid safety role, but we'd still need #1/3 CBs or a #1CB and a center fielder, with Hyde in the slot.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I see Whaley is going with Sammy and a bunch o' crap at WR again. Good times when Sammy gets hurt again.

And why on Earth does he like Jordan Mills so much? He suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
As much as Peppers's versatility is enticing, I still think he's a bad scheme fit for us. One of the other two would make more sense in our scheme, I think.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I see Whaley is going with Sammy and a bunch o' crap at WR again. Good times when Sammy gets hurt again.

I like the part where you blame the GM for not going after WR depth, and then blame him for getting OL depth.

I think you may have your mind determined.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site

Smith signed with the Bengals tonight, but there's a report the Bills made a strong pitch to the point he felt the need to let them know he desired to go back to his old team. I say that to say they see Mills as a backup RT, thankfully.

As for the offense. I'm over Peppers. I want Howard at #10.

Also a report they've offered Travaris Cadet.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
I like the part where you blame the GM for not going after WR depth, and then blame him for getting OL depth.

I think you may have your mind determined.

I like the part where Whaley gets blamed for poor WR depth when the draft hasn't even happened yet. :laugh:

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Whaley has done a great job filling in spots that needed to be addressed. This team still has holes that need to be fixed. Ideally both feature backs are their at ten along with Watson/Trubinsky. You could start a nice bidding war to slide down 3 - 6 spots. Hopefully Corey Davis will be there because that guy is one of the most polished route runners I have ever seen. Like Reggie Wayne good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad