Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2016-17: Part VII (7-9) – The Tyrod Decision & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Let's not pretend Hyde is some elite player. The Packers who have one of the worst secondaries in the entire league didn't even bother making him an offer. He's a solid player but not a high end one. He isn't better then Gilmore, so it's still a net loss.

He also played multiple positions on a terribly injured secondary and still comes away with praise of good play. Packers fans are mad to see him go. It's a good signing.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Let's not pretend Hyde is some elite player. The Packers who have one of the worst secondaries in the entire league didn't even bother making him an offer. He's a solid player but not a high end one. He isn't better then Gilmore, so it's still a net loss.

I'm pretty sure Hyde is receiving praise as a good, economical signing. Not an elite player.

The DBs are almost certainly going to be worse on paper this year, but that was nearly inevitable. They might still perform better, depending on how well they are coached and how well they execute the scheme as a unit. I don't know if I've ever seen a unit perform so far below the sum of its parts as the Bills DBs did last year.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So it sounds like one of their ideas with Hyde is to more less embrace nickel as their base defense. Hyde would play as a sort of fast third linebacker/3rd safety in the box/nickel corner combo, allowing them to be in nickel but still defend the run. Also would help alleviate the fact that we have two pylons at linebacker in Ragland and Brown. I do hope we still add one linebacker that is a more natural fit in McDemrott's scheme (fast, athletic, etc.).

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
It sounds like they can probably address two more positions in FA with the cap space they've made. Probably CB, and I'm hoping WR. If that happens, what are the chances the Bills take a QB at 10?

Taylor's new contract allows them to escape pretty easily, and McDermott's emphasis on the signing being "the best for us at this time" makes me think that they're going to be actively searching for another QB. That could mean a mid round pick, but I'm going to have my fingers crossed if Watson is sitting there at 10.

The Bills are just constantly plugging holes in a roster that continues to be inadequate at the most important position of all. I'm hoping for their own sake that the new HC and staff realize that.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Hyde is a better Corey Graham in that he can play CB or S and not drop off too much. Bills are listing him as an S.

If they see him as a #2 CB, then I wouldn't expect a 1st or 2nd on secondary since they have Darby, Seymour, and Hyde at CB. Poyer and Graham at S. Not terrible. Would rather see top 2 picks on WR and Oline.
Hyde is more like a less athletic Aaron Williams. Should also be a fine S that can adequately cover TE/RBs, can play CB but you really don't want to due to lack of speed and coverage ability.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
It sounds like they can probably address two more positions in FA with the cap space they've made. Probably CB, and I'm hoping WR. If that happens, what are the chances the Bills take a QB at 10?

Taylor's new contract allows them to escape pretty easily, and McDermott's emphasis on the signing being "the best for us at this time" makes me think that they're going to be actively searching for another QB. That could mean a mid round pick, but I'm going to have my fingers crossed if Watson is sitting there at 10.

The Bills are just constantly plugging holes in a roster that continues to be inadequate at the most important position of all. I'm hoping for their own sake that the new HC and staff realize that.

The underlined is my worst fear. I want nothing to do with Watson. He succeeded in College because of his receivers and willingness to take chances. That isn't going to cut it in the NFL. I'd be very surprised if he turns into anything at the next level.

I'd be much happier with Mike Williams. The guy is what we need a receiver. A guy who is going to go up and get the ball. No more little, speedy, receivers. We need our Brandon Marshall.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
The underlined is my worst fear. I want nothing to do with Watson. He succeeded in College because of his receivers and willingness to take chances. That isn't going to cut it in the NFL. I'd be very surprised if he turns into anything at the next level.

I'd be much happier with Mike Williams. The guy is what we need a receiver. A guy who is going to go up and get the ball. No more little, speedy, receivers. We need our Brandon Marshall.

Plus, his last name is WILLIAMS.
Doesn't that all but guarantee him a spot on the Buffalo Bills?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
And the plot thickens...

So the plan definitely has to be Hyde at safety. I imagine we'll be taking a DB at 10 for sure.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Surprised they took this long to cut Graham. He really just hasn't been very good at safety, despite the "versatility" narrative.His lackluster play has been one of the biggest problems on this defense the past 2 years. Factor in that his cap figure was starter money (albeit low level starter), and cutting him seems obvious.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Surprised they took this long to cut Graham. He really just hasn't been very good at safety, despite the "versatility" narrative.His lackluster play has been one of the biggest problems on this defense the past 2 years. Factor in that his cap figure was starter money (albeit low level starter), and cutting him seems obvious.

I'm guessing they wanted to make sure they had Hyde and Poyer locked up before moving on from Graham.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Wow Pryor signs for 1/8 mil?! And the Bills couldn't match or beat that? Pathetic. Walt Powell is our current #2. Pryor signed for essentially what Woods did per year except on a one year deal. I'd have gladly given Pryor 3/24 mil. Thanks Doug :thumbu:

Patriots win the Super Bowl and sign one of the top free agents in Gilmore and now traded for Brandin Cooks, Buffalo signs a decent safety and cuts several starters and we were a garbage team. This is pathetic. What are we waiting for?!? The WRs are all Gone, great job Whaley :clap:

Signing fullbacks and Micah Hyde is not a good free agent period. Bills losers what a surprise. Bills need to sign Hightower asap. All this cap room for what, so we can bring in vet minimum players? This team makes no ****ing sense.

4-12 coming right up. Even if we draft a WR in round 1 this will be an absolutely pathetic horrid WR corps. But hey we got rid of the PS4s :sarcasm:

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
Wow Pryor signs for 1/8 mil?! And the Bills couldn't match or beat that? Pathetic. Walt Powell is our current #2. Pryor signed for essentially what Woods did per year except on a one year deal. I'd have gladly given Pryor 3/24 mil. Thanks Doug :thumbu:

Patriots win the Super Bowl and sign one of the top free agents in Gilmore and now traded for Brandin Cooks, Buffalo signs a decent safety and cuts several starters and we were a garbage team. This is pathetic. What are we waiting for?!? The WRs are all Gone, great job Whaley :clap:

Signing fullbacks and Micah Hyde is not a good free agent period. Bills losers what a surprise. Bills need to sign Hightower asap. All this cap room for what, so we can bring in vet minimum players? This team makes no ****ing sense.

4-12 coming right up. Even if we draft a WR in round 1 this will be an absolutely pathetic horrid WR corps. But hey we got rid of the PS4s :sarcasm:

Pryor signed a 1 year contract hoping he has a good year with a QB that threw for nearly 5000 yards. A team that has lost its starting WRs.

Going to Buffalo would have hurt his future earning potential.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Bills will draft Williams at 10. Williams and Watkins with a lot of two Tight End sets. Bills are going to look like the Houston Texans when Foster was dominating the league.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
So wait, Brady has Edelman, Cooks, Amendola, Hogan, Gronk, and Allen? Who am I missing? Mitchell had a nice Super Bowl so maybe him too. They are automatic.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
So are we going to do absolutely nothing?

The Patriots are going all-in when they have already won lol

And we just sit here and watch

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Not much you can do when you're as cap strapped as they are

With the cuts and Taylor restructuring, they have enough to sign some players. Not to mention they could free up a lot more redoing Glenn and Dareus.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
We're linked with Jared Cook as well. So I don't really understand how we're "doing nothing."

The Patriots having an awesome offseason doesn't mean we could have done the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad