Proposal: Buffalo and Rangers not involving Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I’d be slightly horrified if the Rangers did this. HF probably doesn’t think/know much of him, but Buchnevich is a good, young player and our 1RW. NYR have arguably the #1 prospect pool in the NHL; they need NHL players in return.

I love how great and valuable DeAngelo is, yet is in every NYR-BUF proposal.
It’s not complicated:

1- Rangers have Trouba locked up and Adam Fox on RD. Then Nils Lundkvist and Braden Schneider waiting to step in.

2- Rangers are very weak at C, very strong at RD.

3- Some people don’t want to pay huge money long term to a defenseman on their third pairing.

Not to mention insiders on our board have mentioned his name in trade rumors fairly frequently. Nobody wants to trade DeAngelo. It’s called using a strength to fill a weakness. Personally I hope they just play him at LD and call it a day.

New flash, HFBoards: if your team had a 24-year-old defenseman who just finished 4th in scoring, you’d be pretty f***ing high on him too. :laugh:

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I’d be slightly horrified if the Rangers did this. HF probably doesn’t think/know much of him, but Buchnevich is a good, young player and our 1RW. NYR have arguably the #1 prospect pool in the NHL; they need NHL players in return.

It’s not complicated:

1- Rangers have Trouba locked up and Adam Fox on RD. Then Nils Lundkvist and Braden Schneider waiting to step in.

3- Some people don’t want to pay huge money long term to a defenseman on their third pairing.

Not to mention insiders on our board have mentioned his name in trade rumors fairly frequently. Nobody wants to trade DeAngelo. It’s called using a strength to fill a weakness. Personally I hope they just play him at LD and call it a day.

New flash, HFBoards: if your team had a 24-year-old defenseman who just finished 4th in scoring, you’d be pretty f***ing high on him too. :laugh:

Still doesn't explain why so many NYR fans are trying to peddle him to a team that already has 4 RHD in its top 6.

Reactions: seagull

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
So nobody who was better then ADA this year. got it.
Is he a better offensive defenseman than anything we currently have on the right side? Sure. Does it make any sense to pay a premium for him when we already have too many guys at RHD? Not at all. This isn't all that complicated and yet every couple of weeks Sabres fans have to explain to Rangers fans that they don't want or need ADA. Personally I'd like to get more defenseman here that can actually play in their own zone and that certainly isn't DeAngelo.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I think Cozens fits the time line of the Rangers youth movement perfectly- around the same age as Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, Lindgren, Miller, Schneider, Robertson, Lundqvist and could be a great fit behind Zibanejad as the 2nd line center. Also I believe he might have played with Lafreniere with the Canadian National teams.

Cozens played with Laf on the CNT. But they were never on the same line, aside from down a goal. Different points of origin, and different use (Cozens was used this past WJC as a shutdown winger with Hayton and as the extra forward with the goalie pulled). He could be the 2C behind Mika, but that would eventually change

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
good basic structure and i think teams have complimentary resources and needs

would prefer if Buff adds (a) Pekar and (b) a RD who will lose his icetime time to ADA (Miller?Montour?)
NYR could add another piece, perhaps an almost ready LD such as Rykov or Hajek, or a F to backfill Sabres pipeline, such as Howden, etc

Pekar because NYR really need a North-South F, and a Czech-mate for Chytil can only be a benefit

Pekar is off the table (for now). We need a shit disturber. He’s compared to Marchand and Pat Verbeek, so he’s really needed (best outcome would be Esa Tikkanen 2.0, but you know...)

I have no problem swapping out Miller or Montour for Buch or Hajek because those positions are something the Sabres need help at, but the swap makes no sense at all for the Rags.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
The f***? Cozens has exactly zero NHL games played. He's not worth that.

Cool. Then trade us Lafreniere for Miller or Montour, Thompson, and 6K Luukkonen. Btw, Laf has exactly zero NHL games played.

Oh wait. You’re gonna quote this and say Laf is worth more than that return. Fun fact: Sabres feel that same way about Cozens, despite his zero games of NHL experience.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That group is all right up there with each other, I've seen them all shuffled around at the top of people's rankings. Pronman is one that has Cozens on top, I read that article today so it's fresh on my mind, but I've seen others as well. Those guys are all fantastic prospects, I'm not calling Cozens the clear cut best but he's certainly in that conversation.
I totally agree that the group is bunched up and Cozens is in the conversation, and might end up being the best of the group after Hughes and KK.

However, in Pronman's list he does have Zegras a couple spots ahead.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
I totally agree that the group is bunched up and Cozens is in the conversation, and might end up being the best of the group after Hughes and KK.

However, in Pronman's list he does have Zegras a couple spots ahead.

My mistake, it's Wheeler's list I was thinking of. Flipped the two Athletic writers in my head.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

It’s not complicated:

Cool. It's not complicated for us either:

1. We don't want DeAngelo for what little top-end center depth we have (Cozens, Eichel).

That's it. That's the list.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Is he a better offensive defenseman than anything we currently have on the right side? Sure. Does it make any sense to pay a premium for him when we already have too many guys at RHD? Not at all. This isn't all that complicated and yet every couple of weeks Sabres fans have to explain to Rangers fans that they don't want or need ADA. Personally I'd like to get more defenseman here that can actually play in their own zone and that certainly isn't DeAngelo.

I’m not saying Buffalo should want DeAngelo, but for the sake of cutting all of the bs filler out and summarizing...

1. You would rather have any of those guys than a 24 year old 50 point defender who was on pace for 60.

2. The bolded shows you don’t know a thing about him and you’ve never watched him before. I’ll sit back and wait for you to insert the Aho gif and reference his performance in the play-in series, in which he was playing with a hamstring injury.

You should invest in center ice or NHLTV and come watch some Ranger games with us in the game day threads. You might actually learn something new.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
Ok, Reinhart, Ristolainen and Ullmark for Lafrenière. He has 0 NHL games. And the Sabres 3 are much better then the Rangers 3. Garbage proposal. Want Dahlin too?

Well realistically, Kravtsov is a closer comparable to Cozens than Laf.... would you trade those 3 for Kravy ? I doubt you would.

When was the last time a trade like that happened ? 3 established NHLers for a prospect, given the risk on one side and the huge influx of cap on the other. The only thing that would possibly make sense to me would be a prospect swap, but given that BUF don't need RHD prospects, the rangers don't want to give up a LHD prospect, a swap of F's would probably be too lateral.... I don't think there's a trade to be made here.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I’m not saying Buffalo should want DeAngelo, but for the sake of cutting all of the bs filler out and summarizing...

1. You would rather have any of those guys than a 24 year old 50 point defender who was on pace for 60.

2. The bolded shows you don’t know a thing about him and you’ve never watched him before. I’ll sit back and wait for you to insert the Aho gif and reference his performance in the play-in series, in which he was playing with a hamstring injury.

You should invest in center ice or NHLTV and come watch some Ranger games with us in the game day threads. You might actually learn something new.
1) I would rather have those guys than pay what the Rangers would want for DeAngelo coming off a career year. It's certainly a case of sell high (which makes sense for the Rangers) but I wouldn't want to be the team buying high.
2) I've watched DeAngelo plenty. Great in the offensive zone, good transition player, but he isn't good in his own zone, but by all means pull the: "You don't know a thing about him, try watching some games" card. It clearly shows your bias. As a Sabres fan I've seen it for years with fans defending Ristolainen. I've never said DeAngelo wouldn't be a desirable piece if he was shopped around the league, but maybe a team with 4 NHL level RHD isn't going to be the team that gives you the best return... or has much interest at all.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Cool. Then trade us Lafreniere for Miller or Montour, Thompson, and 6K Luukkonen. Btw, Laf has exactly zero NHL games played.

Oh wait. You’re gonna quote this and say Laf is worth more than that return. Fun fact: Sabres feel that same way about Cozens, despite his zero games of NHL experience.
Except this isn't apples to apples and you know that. Cozens is a top prospect for sure, I think he'll be a really good player at least, but he's much more of an unknown, so lets not pretend they have anywhere close to the same value. You're better than that.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
1) I would rather have those guys than pay what the Rangers would want for DeAngelo coming off a career year. It's certainly a case of sell high (which makes sense for the Rangers) but I wouldn't want to be the team buying high.

You’d rather have Ristolainen at 5.4m and a year older, who is just as bad defensively and has plateaued?

You’d rather have Colin Miller, who is 3 years older, makes less than 1m less than DeAngelo and has declined for 2 straight years after having a career year? Funny how DeAngelo’s numbers have trended up for 2 straight years in his only 2 full seasons after being an 80 point defender in junior, but Colin Miller, not having anywhere close to the pedigree that DeAngelo has, isn’t a one-hit wonder, when he’s declined sharply for 2 years in a row?

2) I've watched DeAngelo plenty. Great in the offensive zone, good transition player, but he isn't good in his own zone, but by all means pull the: "You don't know a thing about him, try watching some games" card. It clearly shows your bias. As a Sabres fan I've seen it for years with fans defending Ristolainen. I've never said DeAngelo wouldn't be a desirable piece if he was shopped around the league, but maybe a team with 4 NHL level RHD isn't going to be the team that gives you the best return... or has much interest at all.

You literally said the words

Personally I'd like to get more defenseman here that can actually play in their own zone and that certainly isn't DeAngelo.

If you don’t want people calling you out for bullshit, then don’t say stupid and false things like that.

He “can’t play in his own zone?”

That’s false and that’s how I know for a fact that you don’t watch him on a night to night basis.

Like I said, if you want to prove me wrong, come on the Ranger board in game day threads. Comment on little things that wouldn’t show up on a scoresheet or a highlight clip. Break down his play by shift, point out when he does something wrong. As of right now, you haven’t shown me or any Ranger fan here an iota of evidence that shows you’re capable of actually evaluating him properly.

So stop spreading misinformation about a player that you clearly don’t know enough about to be making such claims.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Ignoring the value, it’s a bad fit for Buffalo. We have an abundance of RD. So sabres are trading their top prospect at a position of need, for an area where they are set.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Another thread reminding me why I avoid this cesspool of a subforum.

You mean you don't enjoy coming over here to read how other team's fans think the Sabres suck, and we should take their amazing players from them even when they are not in a position of need for Buffalo?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
You’d rather have Ristolainen at 5.4m and a year older, who is just as bad defensively and has plateaued?

You’d rather have Colin Miller, who is 3 years older, makes less than 1m less than DeAngelo and has declined for 2 straight years after having a career year? Funny how DeAngelo’s numbers have trended up for 2 straight years in his only 2 full seasons after being an 80 point defender in junior, but Colin Miller, not having anywhere close to the pedigree that DeAngelo has, isn’t a one-hit wonder, when he’s declined sharply for 2 years in a row?

You literally said the words

If you don’t want people calling you out for bullshit, then don’t say stupid and false things like that.

He “can’t play in his own zone?”

That’s false and that’s how I know for a fact that you don’t watch him on a night to night basis.

Like I said, if you want to prove me wrong, come on the Ranger board in game day threads. Comment on little things that wouldn’t show up on a scoresheet or a highlight clip. Break down his play by shift, point out when he does something wrong. As of right now, you haven’t shown me or any Ranger fan here an iota of evidence that shows you’re capable of actually evaluating him properly.

So stop spreading misinformation about a player that you clearly don’t know enough about to be making such claims.
This isn't really all that hard to understand. We aren't talking about Buffalo getting DeAngelo for free. If that were the case I would obviously take him over any RHD we have on the team outside of Joker. The two trade offers I can recall that have included DeAngelo coming to Buffalo have involved Eichel (lol) and Cozens who is the best prospect in our system by a country mile and is a center, which is obviously an area of massive need.
As for DeAngelo I'm not spreading misinformation. You just agreed with me in the first sentence of your post. Quote: "You'd rather have Ristolainen who's just as bad defensively". Both players suck in their own end. This isn't some revelation to Rangers fans or Sabres fans. So I'm not sure what you're even trying to argue here. I've never seen you in a Sabres game day thread so you aren't allowed to have an opinion on any Sabres player. Sound reasonable? Of course not. So let's just say we agree to disagree and leave it at that instead of trotting out the: "you obviously don't watch this player argument".
Honestly I've tired of whatever this exchange is supposed to be anyhow. The Rangers don't make the trade in the OP and quite frankly the Sabres don't either, Cozens holds more value to us than he would to nearly any other team in the league given what we have at Center behind Eichel.

Reactions: sufferer

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I have zero interest in the idea of moving Cozens without addressing a position of need (3C, 2LD, G) with someone that is really good and under team control for a long time.

That deal is highly unlikely to occur. So, I hope that there is no chance that Cozens gets moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese