Proposal: Buffalo and Rangers not involving Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
This isn't really all that hard to understand. We aren't talking about Buffalo getting DeAngelo for free. If that were the case I would obviously take him over any RHD we have on the team outside of Joker. The two trade offers I can recall that have included DeAngelo coming to Buffalo have involved Eichel (lol) and Cozens who is the best prospect in our system by a country mile and is a center, which is obviously an area of massive need.

You’re right and you wouldn’t trade Ristolainen for let’s say, Braden Schneider, right?

As for DeAngelo I'm not spreading misinformation. You just agreed with me in the first sentence of your post. Quote: "You'd rather have Ristolainen who's just as bad defensively". Both players suck in their own end. This isn't some revelation to Rangers fans or Sabres fans. So I'm not sure what you're even trying to argue here.

Speaking of not hard to understand while simultaneously quoting another person, you literally said that DeAngelo can’t play in his own end, which is false. I said they’re both not good defensively. Two completely different things that aren’t mutually exclusive any such sort of way. “Needing work” and “can’t play in his own end” are two vastly different scopes.

I've never seen you in a Sabres game day thread so you aren't allowed to have an opinion on any Sabres player. Sound reasonable? Of course not.

The difference between us is that I’m not acting like I know more about your team’s players and telling you that Ristolainen can’t play defense, which is false information. Ristolainen, just like DeAngelo, needs to work on his defensive game.

So let's just say we agree to disagree and leave it at that instead of trotting out the: "you obviously don't watch this player argument".

If you don’t like being called out, don’t make baseless and ill-informed comments then. It’s ok to not know everything about a player from a team that you don’t watch on a nightly basis and I’m not even just singling you out by saying this, this mentality something that’s gone on as long as these boards have existed.

Honestly I've tired of whatever this exchange is supposed to be anyhow. The Rangers don't make the trade in the OP and quite frankly the Sabres don't either, Cozens holds more value to us than he would to nearly any other team in the league given what we have at Center behind Eichel.

We agree on all of that.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
You can't beat the context drum and ignore the context you don't like. Yes, Risto got 40+ points 4 times. All four times, he played a largely complete season (82, 79, 78, and 73 games respectively). DeAngelo "only" put up 30 points two years ago--but he did it in 61 games. Last year, DeAngelo scored 53 points (8 points better than Risto's best season) in 68 games.

More context--goals tend to be valued more than assists. DeAngelo scored 15 goals last year--almost double Risto's career high.

More context-- All four times Risto put up 40+, he played WAY more minutes than he should have (25+ minutes per game in three of those seasons, 24:38 in another). DeAngelo? He played just over 19 minutes per game the last two years. So Risto put up 40 playing nearly 7 minutes more per game, and (as mentioned earlier) playing ~20 more games than DeAngelo's 30 point season two years ago. Color me impressed.

More context-- All four times Risto scored 40+, he seemingly didn't even TRY to play defense (-96 collectively over those four seasons. His best season before this year's -2, he was a -9. Those are his only two seasons that he was under double digits on +/-). I tend to think +/- only reveals anything in the context of how other players on the same team performed. Aside from his -9 outlier season, his other 40+ point seasons saw Risto with a team worst +/- twice, including a -21 (nobody else within 5) and a -41 (the next worse player "only" had a -22). His other 40+point season he was -25 with only two players worse. DeAngelo? He was a +12, while being stuck with Marc Staal all season. He was a +6 in his 30 point season. He used to be a miserable defensive player on the scale of Risto, but--and this is a key difference here--the Rangers' coach sent him down to the AHL and wouldn't trust him as a regular until he addressed that issue and at least tried to play passable defense. Risto never addressed his defensive issues. DeAngelo has.

Regarding your other "points"--I don't know how many years are considered "long enough" so that you aren't judged by what you did as a teenager, but mid-20s seems like more than enough time. He's been a model citizen on this team for several years now.

And as has been mentioned before by others, he was traded by Arizona because the Rangers targeted him and offered their mid-20s 1B center and a top young goalie to get him (and a 1st). The reason people are looking to trade him now is that Rangers fans don't want to be in a Tampa Bay situation. The Rangers are committed to Trouba, they have Fox in the fold already, and both Nils Lundkvist and Schneider near the top of our prospect pool for RD. Better to move a "final RFA contract" player at a position of absurd depth for a player on an ELC. Otherwise we'll be setting ourselves up for an offer sheet on Laf when he comes up for a second contract. If the salary cap weren't a thing, you wouldn't see a single Rangers fan trying to move DeAngelo.

That doesn't mean Buffalo fans need to want to trade for him, but you should at least refrain from this "ONLY 30 POINTS ONCE HUR DUR" nonsense. DeAngelo is at least a full tier better than Risto as a player. Putting up 40 points a few times because your team is incompetent and plays you 25+ minutes a game isn't exactly a point of pride.

Someone throw in the towel, you are beating that man to death with truth.

That was complete and utter annihilation

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You can't beat the context drum and ignore the context you don't like. Yes, Risto got 40+ points 4 times. All four times, he played a largely complete season (82, 79, 78, and 73 games respectively). DeAngelo "only" put up 30 points two years ago--but he did it in 61 games. Last year, DeAngelo scored 53 points (8 points better than Risto's best season) in 68 games.

More context--goals tend to be valued more than assists. DeAngelo scored 15 goals last year--almost double Risto's career high.

More context-- All four times Risto put up 40+, he played WAY more minutes than he should have (25+ minutes per game in three of those seasons, 24:38 in another). DeAngelo? He played just over 19 minutes per game the last two years. So Risto put up 40 playing nearly 7 minutes more per game, and (as mentioned earlier) playing ~20 more games than DeAngelo's 30 point season two years ago. Color me impressed.

More context-- All four times Risto scored 40+, he seemingly didn't even TRY to play defense (-96 collectively over those four seasons. His best season before this year's -2, he was a -9. Those are his only two seasons that he was under double digits on +/-). I tend to think +/- only reveals anything in the context of how other players on the same team performed. Aside from his -9 outlier season, his other 40+ point seasons saw Risto with a team worst +/- twice, including a -21 (nobody else within 5) and a -41 (the next worse player "only" had a -22). His other 40+point season he was -25 with only two players worse. DeAngelo? He was a +12, while being stuck with Marc Staal all season. He was a +6 in his 30 point season. He used to be a miserable defensive player on the scale of Risto, but--and this is a key difference here--the Rangers' coach sent him down to the AHL and wouldn't trust him as a regular until he addressed that issue and at least tried to play passable defense. Risto never addressed his defensive issues. DeAngelo has.

Regarding your other "points"--I don't know how many years are considered "long enough" so that you aren't judged by what you did as a teenager, but mid-20s seems like more than enough time. He's been a model citizen on this team for several years now.

And as has been mentioned before by others, he was traded by Arizona because the Rangers targeted him and offered their mid-20s 1B center and a top young goalie to get him (and a 1st). The reason people are looking to trade him now is that Rangers fans don't want to be in a Tampa Bay situation. The Rangers are committed to Trouba, they have Fox in the fold already, and both Nils Lundkvist and Schneider near the top of our prospect pool for RD. Better to move a "final RFA contract" player at a position of absurd depth for a player on an ELC. Otherwise we'll be setting ourselves up for an offer sheet on Laf when he comes up for a second contract. If the salary cap weren't a thing, you wouldn't see a single Rangers fan trying to move DeAngelo.

That doesn't mean Buffalo fans need to want to trade for him, but you should at least refrain from this "ONLY 30 POINTS ONCE HUR DUR" nonsense. DeAngelo is at least a full tier better than Risto as a player. Putting up 40 points a few times because your team is incompetent and plays you 25+ minutes a game isn't exactly a point of pride.

Now I know what a murder looks like.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

That's a whole lot of words to say, "Tony DeAngelo was on pace to score 40 points the year he actually scored 30 points."

I don't care how much Rangers fans claim that Tony DeAngelo is born again into a completely new, better person in the past there years who now baptizes Rangers players, and brings people back from the dead.

The kind of person who gets suspended in juniors not once, not twice, but three times for extended periods for offensive behavior and continues that into his NHL career is not someone the Sabres would be taking a flyer on, and especially not for their best prospect, who plays a position of need.

For all you and other Ranger's fans harping on "context" you seem to be missing the big, glaring, neon sign that reads: "The Sabres have an excess of RD and have a need for centers, so trading their best center prospect for a RD with checkered history is a non-starter for the Sabres".

How's that for context?

I don't want to trade him, personally. But I also understand that in any sport, you deal from a position of strength and RD is a deep position of strength for the NYR.

As for production, he had 30 points in 60 games his rookie season, pacing 40 in 82

Still not seeing what is making him a toxic person today. Unless of course you posit that no one can learn and grow from mistakes that have made when young and dumb.

Is that your position?

As I posted above, the Sabres aren't the team to be giving up their best prospect who plays a position of weak depth to take a flyer on a player with a toxic history who plays a position of strength.

Instead of arguing with me, you need to accept that this trade doesn't benefit the Sabres and find another fanbase to trade Tony DeAngelo to.

Someone throw in the towel, you are beating that man to death with truth.

That was complete and utter annihilation

I think this is hilarious when you and other Rangers fans completely ignore that Tony DeAngelo doesn't fill a need for the Sabres , his character history is entirely negative (and no, claims from the Rangers fanbase that TDA is born again carry no weight when you're trying to dump him on another team), and still seem to be beating the drum of, "You don't want the player we're offering, who plays a position of strength, for your best prospect, who plays a position of weakness, but you're wrong because he's what we're offering."

You have demonstrated poor understanding of the difference between "truth" and "opinion".

You guys don't need to worry though, when GM Gorton trades Henrik's old goalie pads, a roll of toilet paper, and an old newspaper for Jack Eichel, you guys will be set and won't need to trade for Cozens at all. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: GrierIsGod123

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
That's a whole lot of words to say, "Tony DeAngelo was on pace to score 40 points the year he actually scored 30 points."

I don't care how much Rangers fans claim that Tony DeAngelo is born again into a completely new, better person in the past there years who now baptizes Rangers players, and brings people back from the dead.

The kind of person who gets suspended in juniors not once, not twice, but three times for extended periods for offensive behavior and continues that into his NHL career is not someone the Sabres would be taking a flyer on, and especially not for their best prospect, who plays a position of need.

For all you and other Ranger's fans harping on "context" you seem to be missing the big, glaring, neon sign that reads, "The Sabres have an excess of RD and have a need for centers, so trading their best center prospect for a RD with checkered history is a non-starter for the Sabres".

You really aren't very good at this. YOU are the one who introduced context. You're just bent out of shape because you think the ONLY context that matters is the part that makes Risto look like something other than a dumpster fire on skates. I literally closed by saying that Buffalo fans don't need to want to trade for DeAngelo. I don't give a flip, personally, as I want to keep him until Lundkvist or Schneider are ready to step in. My response was solely based on your ridiculous notion that Risto was anywhere near DeAngelo based solely on the fact that he had four 40+ point seasons where they played him all game and he apparently never had to set foot in his own defensive zone. I wasn't pushing a trade; I was correcting a delusion.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I think I've hurt some feelings, so I'm going to bow out of this thread.

I'll be sure to congratulate Rangers fans when they finally complete the Jack Eichel trade. I'm sure it'll happen any day now. :laugh:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

It’s not hard to understand. He played about 60 games and scored about 30 points. Over a full 80, that’s 40 points at that pace.

I don’t have an issue with you not wanting him, but absolutely I have an issue with you arguing in bad faith.

You can’t bring up off-ice issues from 6+ years ago in one sentence and then say “I dOnT cArE iF hE cHaNgEd” in the next. You can’t have your cake and it eat it too. If you’re going to go “harp” on that, then you have to come to terms with the fact that he’s past that and has been for a long time. Also, he was suspended twice, not three times. Just to clear that up.

They’re not an issue anymore. The organization from top to bottom loves him. Ranger fans are glad to keep him.

For all you and other Ranger's fans harping on "context" you seem to be missing the big, glaring, neon sign that reads, "The Sabres have an excess of RD and have a need for centers, so trading their best center prospect for a RD with checkered history is a non-starter for the Sabres".

Speaking of missing big shiny neon signs, how about the multitude of Rangers fans throughout this thread that have said that Buffalo shouldn’t and won’t be trading Cozens?

Put the stones down, you live in a glass house.

How's that for context?

You’re still missing it.

As I posted above, the Sabres aren't the team to be giving up their best prospect who plays a position of weak depth to take a flyer on a player with a toxic history who plays a position of strength.

The focal point of your exchange was Ristolainen vs DeAngelo. No amount goalpost moving will change the fact that you just got your ass handed to you verbally on a silver platter.

Instead of arguing with me, you need to accept that this trade doesn't benefit the Sabres and find another fanbase to trade Tony DeAngelo to.

Maybe if you weren’t struggling so badly to move the goal posts, you’d see that the majority of Ranger fans don’t want to move DeAngelo.

I think this is hilarious when you and other Rangers fans completely ignore that Tony DeAngelo doesn't fill a need for the Sabres ,

No one is ignoring that. He argued and absolutely destroyed pretty easily in doing so that DeAngelo is a better option than what you have and would be a welcomed addition. You haven’t provided one counter point in the Ristolainen vs DeAngelo argument here and that’s how I know you’ve lost but you’re too stubborn to admit it.

his character history is entirely negative (and no, claims from the Rangers fanbase that TDA is born again carry no weight when you're trying to dump him on another team),

Let me get this straight, you’re telling us that we’re ignoring his past transgressions, but then saying that we’re not ignoring them by claiming that our “claims” that he’s “born again” are not true because we’re trying to “dump him?”

Dude, pick a story and stick with it. Are we ignoring his past transgressions or are we acknowledging them?

Also, because you claim it doesn’t count doesn’t mean a damn thing. That’s not how the real world works. He hasn’t had an incident while in NY. I know that must burn you up inside, but it’s true.

and still seem to be beating the drum of, "You don't want the player we're offering, who plays a position of strength, for your best prospect, who plays a position of weakness, but you're wrong because he's what we're offering."

For the umpteenth time, the value being shit for the Rangers and the idea of Buffalo trading Cozens are not mutually exclusive, in any such sort of way.

Just because the value is bad for the Rangers doesn’t mean that every Ranger fan thinks that Buffalo should trade their top center prospect.

Nobody

You have demonstrated poor understanding of the difference between "truth" and "opinion".

Irony could punch you in the face and you wouldn’t know it.

You guys don't need to worry though, when GM Gorton trades Henrik's old goalie pads, a roll of toilet paper, and an old newspaper for Jack Eichel, you guys will be set and won't need to trade for Cozens at all. :sarcasm:

If I was a Sabres fan, I’d hope that Pegula doesn’t mind paying that 7.5m signing bonus on 7/1/22 if Eichel is still unhappy by then.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
If ADA was half the player Ranger fans argue he is, he wouldn’t be in every Ranger fan originated thread on this board.

Coming from a Rangers fan that has not wanted to deal TonyD for a second.....

The reason he is put in trade talk is simple

1. Trouba NMC
2. Fox is better
3. Lundkvist is on the right side, will be ELC, and needs to be here sooner rather than later due to signing before becoming a UFA.

Deangelo's name was in trade talks because

1. RFA
2. Dealing from a position of strength.

Common sense people. I rather have DeAngelo putting up 70 points a season, especially when he actually gets PP1 time for a full season.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If ADA was half the player Ranger fans argue he is, he wouldn’t be in every Ranger fan originated thread on this board.
It’s the same usual suspects that put him in every proposal. Most fans do NOT want him traded, however if he is it will be for a good young asset coming back. Most fans want to see how he works out at LD before any trade is made whatsoever, and others want to keep him as a 3RD. The rangers have massive youth and NHL talent coming on both left and right D. Trouba will not be moved. Fox is a gift from god and looks like he has number 1 D potential, nils Lundqvist looks like he will be a damn good player as well as Braden Schneider and hunter skinner plays an abrasive game and could turn into a very good 3rd pair D.
LD
Lindgren
Miller
Robertson
Jones
Hajek
Renuenunen
RD
Trouba
Fox
DeAngelo
Lundqvist
Schneider
Skinner

as you can see, loaded with talent. More so on the right then the left, however it’s not set in stone that some can’t make the switch to LD but at least you see where the rangers main ammunition lies and why DeAngelo has popped up in multiple proposals.

Last edited:
Reactions: One Winged Angel

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
WTF

Cozens is going nowhere...he’s untouchable

Buffalo already has 10,000 RD and Dahlin will p,ay 1st PP ..ADA wouldn’t so his value ducks if he isn’t a PP1guy

At RW buffalo has a Reinhart, Thomoson, and they drafted Quinn..all you get than Buch

Then there is the cap....

Buffalo after RFAs are signed might have $1.5M in space.

Well, I feel like Buffalo is violating the contract limit then.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

For all you and other Ranger's fans harping on "context" you seem to be missing the big, glaring, neon sign that reads: "The Sabres have an excess of RD and have a need for centers, so trading their best center prospect for a RD with checkered history is a non-starter for the Sabres".

How's that for context?

I think this is hilarious when you and other Rangers fans completely ignore that Tony DeAngelo doesn't fill a need for the Sabres , his character history is entirely negative (and no, claims from the Rangers fanbase that TDA is born again carry no weight when you're trying to dump him on another team), and still seem to be beating the drum of, "You don't want the player we're offering, who plays a position of strength, for your best prospect, who plays a position of weakness, but you're wrong because he's what we're offering."

To the extent that I get there is no need for him and or that you are not giving up a top prospect let alone your best prospect.

Understood. And I agree with you on tjat premise.

To the extent that you label him toxic let's me know hoe full of shit you are in general.

And no, facts are not opinion. The facts that were laid out regarding Risto are not opinion.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Unless Dahlin is on the table, really no use for this thread. No match up I see. I’ll send it to the top anyhow and enjoy the Skinner dump show.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Unless Dahlin is on the table, really no use for this thread. No match up I see. I’ll send it to the top anyhow and enjoy the Skinner dump show.

Wouldn't say that, tho obv, would want to discuss Dahlin were he available.
I could see a smaller deal with a core of Smith for Hutton which saves Rangers 1.6; w/Hutton a fit qualifying for exp dr, [don't think he has to be extended past next year], Kinkaid could also be moved.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
What Buffalo needs to do is figure out how to build a second offensive line behind Eichel. They still haven't done that. Maybe Cozens can be the answer. I don't suspect Eichel will wait much longer to win before he wants out.

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
It’s the same usual suspects that put him in every proposal. Most fans do NOT want him traded, however if he is it will be for a good young asset coming back. Most fans want to see how he works out at LD before any trade is made whatsoever, and others want to keep him as a 3RD. The rangers have massive youth and NHL talent coming on both left and right D. Trouba will not be moved. Fox is a gift from god and looks like he has number 1 D potential, nils Lundqvist looks like he will be a damn good player as well as Braden Schneider and hunter skinner plays an abrasive game and could turn into a very good 3rd pair D.
LD
Lindgren
Miller
Robertson
Jones
Hajek
Renuenunen
RD
Trouba
Fox
DeAngelo
Lundqvist
Schneider
Skinner

as you can see, loaded with talent. More so on the right then the left, however it’s not set in stone that some can’t make the switch to LD but at least you see where the rangers main ammunition lies and why DeAngelo has popped up in multiple proposals.

I actually really like ADA and would love to keep him but unfortunately he is the odd man out because of his salary. I believe Fox is better and cheaper, Trouba has a no trade and we can not afford to have 18 million tied up on Right Defenseman in 2 years when DeAngelo's arbitration award expires and Fox needs a contract. As mentioned by you above, it is a position of strength with Lundqvist and Schneider waiting in the wings. Also something most of my fellow Ranger fans forget you need to give value to get value. I agree that Buchnevich, DeAngelo and Georgiev is a lot to give up but prospects like Cozens don't grow on trees. After reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that it is a very good proposal because both fanbases hate it!! LOL

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Wouldn't say that, tho obv, would want to discuss Dahlin were he available.
I could see a smaller deal with a core of Smith for Hutton which saves Rangers 1.6; w/Hutton a fit qualifying for exp dr, [don't think he has to be extended past next year], Kinkaid could also be moved.
Wow Bern, believe me Smith isn’t going anywhere. Our LD is so horrid that even he appears to be a stabilizer. His AV sucks but he can play both sides in case ADA moves over and allows us to carry a 21 roster. So we trade him for Hutton when we have Georgie under contract? Is this one of youR patent proposals that start to make sense after the subsequent 8 transactions start to take shape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->