Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] F Dylan Cozens signs extension with the Sabres (7 years, $7.1M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
No they didn't. Matthews had a rocket and was 2nd place the other year and Marner had 2 seasons of 90 points
Marner signed his contract in September of 2019, so he had 1 season of 90 points. Matthews signed his in February of 2019, so he had a Calder and no rockets yet. However both had definitely achieved more in their first 2-3 seasons than Cozens, but they both also got paid substantially more. Either way they are poor comparables.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Marner signed his contract in September of 2019, so he had 1 season of 90 points. Matthews signed his in February of 2019, so he had a Calder and no rockets yet. However both had definitely achieved more in their first 2-3 seasons than Cozens, but they both also got paid substantially more. Either way they are poor comparables.

I know they are, it was a cheap lazy shot to farm likes from Leaf haters without addressing my points

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Time will tell, but don't act like there's not any risk either giving out this big of a contract with such a small sample size.
There's always some degree of risk with any deal, but Cozen's underlyings have been consistently trending upwards in a very big way and it's now showed up on the scoresheet this season. It's a bet, but it's a smart bet to make.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
How the f*** did they keep it under 8.5?

I know it sounds stupid, but there are some serious "vibes" around this team. Like, they're all in it for each other. I've never seen anything like it.

I'm 99% sure the reason it came in where it did was because Cozens didn't want to out-contract Tage.

I know it sounds stupid.....but I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

Intermission

Jan 17, 2016
Western NY
Didn’t realize Cozens was having such a successful season, good for him!
1673678963666-gif.635007

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I know it sounds stupid, but there are some serious "vibes" around this team. Like, they're all in it for each other. I've never seen anything like it.

I'm 99% sure the reason it came in where it did was because Cozens didn't want to out-contract Tage.

Sounds like a case of coming up together and buying in together, no surprise a locker room is exceptional with Okposo at the helm.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

It doesn't. Maybe they looked at what Boston has done around Bergeron and understand that to have a team that never seems to bottom out, you have to be OK with taking a little less. I also think Adams has to get some credit here for being able to get alignment on that strategy from his core guys. Maybe he lucked into it a bit with Thompson.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Bingo, great friggin deal cozens takes a discount still gets paid love this contract another steal, will adams get dahlin to sign for 9 mill too? Future looks great

I’m hoping he uses Makar as a comparable for Dahlin. Everyone knows Mak coulda gotten more, so if you offer the same deal it’s more towards fair value without making Tage or Cozens look bad for taking less. If Ras really wants 11 mil or somethin I could see that causing some hurt feelings. 9-10 would be cool.

Anywho, wooo! Cozens, let’s f***in go Buffalo!

Reactions: Faceboner

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
This is what you should do in today's NHL - choose the right young, core players to build around and commit to them early and long-term.
Buffalo lost Ullmark and Reinhart because they didn’t do this, and f***ed around with bridge deals. It bit them in the ass big time - especially with Ullmark.

Nice to see the new GM learning from past mistakes and doing things right this time.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Perhaps the wisest post in this thread.
Yeah we shouldn't forget where we came from for the last 12 years, and this season isn't finished yet still got to make the post season not saying not to be excited for the direction this team is headed but I still wouldn't be getting any "buffalo sabres stanley cup champs" tats anytime soon either but this team is slowly erasing the shame and making easy to be a proud sabres fan. So I will let my homer shine every now and then but nothing over the top
Edit was tats

Last edited:

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Sabres on their way to being Bruins 2.0 with stars signing long term discount deals?

Bergeron, Marchand and Pasta have all be criminally underpaid throughout their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad