Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] F Dylan Cozens signs extension with the Sabres (7 years, $7.1M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Tage is having a career year. He will never come close to this ever again. And the season he is having is fooling Buffalo management into thinking they are closer than they are. Now you've locked in your core to long term deals without even making the playoffs based on half a season of sample size.

Good luck is all I can say.

Cozens, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Tuch all having insane shooting% years and due for massive regression. Even Dahlin having a career year in shooting%.

I get it though, not the first fan base to think things will keep rolling. But even with all of these crazy seasons, they are still not a playoff team. Next year I predict by this time Buffalo is hovering in no mans land yet again with no cap room to improve with good players but not elite locked into long term deals.
Welcome to cap era hockey.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Not even a playoff team and the only need is depth pieces? Ooookk....

You need a goalie, you won't be getting one for less than 4M. You need some dmen as well, you have 3 good ones right now need at least 1 more top 4 guy. And not to mention is Jeff Skinner going to actually be worth his contract for the next 4 years or is he going to regress back into a 4th line and you need another top 6 forward?

You don't even know your needs right now because so much statistical noise is happening due to the small sample size. For all you know next year you can't score and need more forwards. Not to mention you have many ELC players due for a large raise if their play continues...
6K has improved and we have Levi waiting in the wings, but lets assume we spend 4 mill on a goalie, okay that puts us 20M under the cap.

Top 4 D man? Okay, again, I will give you the benefit of the doubt here. Lets say we overpay 6 mill on a number 4, because why not? We are still 14M under the cap.

Skinner? You have shown your misunderstanding. Skinner did not "regress" to the fourths line he was krugered to the fourth line. One of the many moves that got that genius of a coach fired. Regardless, Skinner's cap his is irrelevant because even with it, and the moves you have indicated we need to do, we still have 14M in cap space and this is being generous saying we are going to spend 6M on a 4D.

You have shown very clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

You need a goalie, you won't be getting one for less than 4M. You need some dmen as well, you have 3 good ones right now need at least 1 more top 4 guy. And not to mention is Jeff Skinner going to actually be worth his contract for the next 4 years or is he going to regress back into a 4th line and you need another top 6 forward?

You don't even know your needs right now because so much statistical noise is happening due to the small sample size. For all you know next year you can't score and need more forwards. Not to mention you have many ELC players due for a large raise if their play continues...
As others have pointed out, you're really showing just how ignorant you are of the Sabres roster. Not to mention your completely contradictory comment about next season not being able to score, but having ELC players due for large raises. If those players are due for large raises it's because they ARE scoring. If they aren't scoring they aren't getting big raises and Buffalo has money for roster fixes.

1st line is locked in long term (Skinner/Tage/Tuch)
2nd line has Cozens and 2 rookies on ELC's for 2 more seasons and still developing (Quinn/Peterka)
3rd line has 1 player who will be an RFA this season (Jost) and 2 players signed for another year (Mitts/Olofsson)
4th line has 2 vets who will get short low cap deals (Gus/Okposo) and Krebs who is on an ELC for another year.

Top pairing are both 22 years old, Dahlin has 1 more season then needs a raise, Samuelsson is locked down long term.
2nd pairing has Power on an ELC for another year then is a 10.2c RFA, and Joker for another year then RFA.
3rd Pairing has Bryson and Lyubushkin both signed for another year.

So when many of these players are due for new contracts Buffalo has a projected 53.5 million in cap space. If these ELC players earn large raises, then Buffalo will be better because of it AND they have a ton of cap space for it to happen.

You don't know Buffalos needs right now because you would rather bash the team than take any sort of honest look at their roster, how young it is, and how many players are still developing.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Tage is having a career year. He will never come close to this ever again. And the season he is having is fooling Buffalo management into thinking they are closer than they are. Now you've locked in your core to long term deals without even making the playoffs based on half a season of sample size.

Cozens, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Tuch all having insane shooting% years and due for massive regression. Even Dahlin having a career year in shooting%.

I get it though, not the first fan base to think things will keep rolling. But even with all of these crazy seasons, they are still not a playoff team. Next year I predict by this time Buffalo is hovering in no mans land yet again with no cap room to improve with good players but not elite locked into long term deals.

Yeah good luck with that. Not only do the Sabres by any unbiased metric obviously have some elite pieces, they’re still not even at the cap floor for next season. Your take is bad and you should feel bad.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Welcome to cap era hockey.
This guy trolls every Sabres thread and is borderline obsessed. I can’t imagine why but he is and pretty sure he’s a Leafs fan. Obviously upset Buffalo didn’t have to spend top dollar to keep its best players, like some other teams to the north. Anyway, long story short, don’t feed the troll.

Reactions: Beauty and MOGlLNY

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I genuinely wonder if he knows the Sabres are the youngest team in the league. How are they going to get better with the same roster? …. By getting experience? Power, Quinn and Peterka are nowhere near what they will be in the league. Krebs is just starting to figure it out. They have four first round picks developing outside of the NHL already.

He’s acting like they’ve painted themselves into a corner with the cap by spending on diminishing assets. …. They have so much cap room they can do anything they want and are locking guys up through their 20s.

They are the opposite of every single thing you claim

if It is a leaf’s fan I get it. They’re going to have to pay Matthews about what Tage and Cozens are making combined. Just so he can be out produced by Tage alone.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007

The Sabres will make it out of the first round before the Leafs. I know it hurts but try not to be so salty about it.

The things you mention are the things we need to be a Cup contender not what we need to get into the playoffs. The Sabres will be a will pass the Leafs next season if not sooner and will be a legit contender to win it all next season. The Leafs are a couple of years away from being bottom feeders.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
And all of this has f*** all to do with Cozens and his contract.
You're right. And the best part is I take the gamble all day if I am Buffalo. I just wanted to point out that it doesn't always go as planned, which many Buffalo fans seem to not understand

Myyyy goodness. Going around in circles here. It WAS a top 10 worst contract in the league, FOR 2 YEARS. There's 2 years of brutal production out of an 8 year contract. It's well known the coach was brutal during that time period as well, relegated to the 4th line, press box, etc. that was uncalled for.

Will it ever live up to the 9 mill per? Well, no, because by your logic of living in the past, I suppose he would have to make up for those 2 years by having 2, 120 point seasons, am i right? Will it ever be a great contract? No of course it won't. Hardly any 9M + contract are unless you're McDavid. Look at Eichel or Panarin at 11.5M

The point here is, it WAS a bad contract, for 2 years, and as it is CURRENTLY, it is NOT a bad contract and is trending towards a solid player the past 2 years and especially this year. What happens when he has another 90 point season next year? I wouldn't be shocked at all the way this line is runnin. Still gonna lean on those brutal years going back 4-5 years, still say it IS a top 10 worst contract handed out ever? Sounds reasonable! :laugh:
It is certainly still a bad contract, you can't sit here and negate the past 3 years because he is playing well this year lol. What happens next year when he regresses back to his norm? Which, by the way, is the most likely outcome considering he has been a 50-60 point player his entire career.

Because internet big dogs can’t stand being told they aren’t internet big dogs
Big dog in real life too fam

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland

You'd think your Sabres takes would be a little more informed and slightly less awful by now.

My God...

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

It’s funny…because the thread right next to this one is about a team who was below Buffalo in the standing signing a player almost six full years older, riding a career high shooting percentage and total anomaly year to a contract a year longer…for over a million more per year…on a cap situation hilariously worse…

and yet…I can’t seem to find any opinion you have on that in that thread. So weird. Almost as if this isn’t a good faith argument and instead just a bored person trolling a thread with concepts that dont even apply to the situation…that have been refuted with facts over and over.

huh.

Reactions: SB716

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
If your argument is that centers come at a premium, maybe. But Boldy has had better production over the beginning of their careers.

Boldy: .78 ppg
Cozens: .55 ppg
Who is basing contracts on rookie seasons at the beginning their careers?

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I'd suggest that ppg is a pretty important stat. Which stats would you prefer to compare them on?
Doesn’t seem to make sense in this case when one guy made the NHL his rookie year and the other first played his D+3. Ofcourse Dylan wasn’t putting up good PPG as a rookie, as Boldy wouldn’t have either. Now they’re the same age and in their assigned positions and Cozens is easily out performing Boldy.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
14.1M between your top 2 centers when the salary cap is supposed to explode is amazing, it's a good bet on Cozens who's looked great this year. Ton of teams are trying to find the next MacK/Draisailt. Devils and Ottawa have succeeded in that with Hughes and Stutzle respectively, you're gonna see a ton of this from teams now on.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Doesn’t seem to make sense in this case when one guy made the NHL his rookie year and the other first played his D+3. Ofcourse Dylan wasn’t putting up good PPG as a rookie, as Boldy wouldn’t have either. Now they’re the same age and in their assigned positions and Cozens is easily out performing Boldy.
"Easily"?

The only period of their young careers where Cozens outperformed Boldy is the first half of this season:

Cozens: .87 ppg
Boldy: .73 ppg

Cozens has 7 more points than Boldy thus far this season.

If you want to suggest that means Cozens is "easily" outperforming Boldy, I guess that is your prerogative.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
If you want to argue that the monster that is Tage is unsustrainable…go ahead. I’m not going to stop you. He never showed this before and broke out late in a weird way. Who knows what his trajectory is. I do know that last year I was told his goal scoring would drop and not only did it increase by a lot he added crazy playmaking to the arsenal.

But when you want to argue that Cozens, a top prospect who took a very steady growth pattern over his ELC…who improves in both metrics and eyeball test at a rate that screams sustainability and projectability is some high risk asset…you are trying too hard. I’m happy you listened to a podcast about shooting percentage. Imagine what you will learn when you listen to one about anything else
This what fascinates me about cozens is how linear his progression has been, has there been any player who was as linear as this?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Cozens will definitely regress for sure when he is already producing so well with rookie wingers who have been pretty cold for the most part. :biglaugh: please

Reactions: Faceboner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad