Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] F Dylan Cozens signs extension with the Sabres (7 years, $7.1M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Good deal, but not sure why people are talking about Cozens as a PPG+ player when he hasnt reached that level yet.
I don't know who insists he is when the money he got is lower than Thomas or Norris clearly showing it's more than fine if he tops out as 70 point 2C. It might not be a steal if that's the case but that's also what allowed that contract to be signed now in the first place.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I don't know who insists he is when the money he got is lower than Thomas or Norris clearly showing it's more than fine if he tops out as 70 point 2C. It might not be a steal if that's the case but that's also what allowed that contract to be signed now in the first place.
Probably because those 2 players were the 1C of their teams and had a higher offensive impact prior to being extended but this deal will likely age really well even if he tops out as a 70 point player.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Not one person said it was a good deal... you're just gaslighting now
Sure, it was a bunch of people insinuating that it wasn't a bad deal though.

Everyone jumped all over me saying it wasn't a bad deal because he is on a 95 point pace this year.

No. No one is saying that Skinner's deal is a GOOD deal. People are saying that it's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

Pretty much everyone is saying he's like $2-3M AAV overpaid. Which isn't a good deal........but it's far from being one of the worst in the NHL.
Wrong, see above and go look back at the responses to me lol.

person says its not a bad contract, you respond with the bolded

just a tip when you think someone has come to the dumbest conclusion ever, highly likely its your reading comprehension
This post makes zero sense I'm not even sure why I quoted it

No its not...Skinner had one bad year because a coach didn't want to give him any time to actually play the game he didn't suffer a huge injury.
Which year was the ONE bad year on a 9 million dollar contract?
19-20: 23 points in 59 games
20-21: 14 points in 53 games
21-22: 63 points in 80 games

None of those seasons are worth 9 million dollars

No one is saying he is worth the contract.

No one is saying it’s a good contract.

Everyone is saying you’re opinion that it’s one of the worst is a bad opinion.

that is textbook changing the goal posts from “ItS tHE WoRsT” to “why does everyone think it’s a good contract.
Its not a bad opinion though. Its pretty widely believed to be a top 10 worst contract in the league. Its certainly not just me

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sure, it was a bunch of people insinuating that it wasn't a bad deal though.

Everyone jumped all over me saying it wasn't a bad deal because he is on a 95 point pace this year.

Wrong, see above and go look back at the responses to me lol.

This post makes zero sense I'm not even sure why I quoted it

Which year was the ONE bad year on a 9 million dollar contract?
19-20: 23 points in 59 games
20-21: 14 points in 53 games
21-22: 63 points in 80 games

None of those seasons are worth 9 million dollars

Its not a bad opinion though. Its pretty widely believed to be a top 10 worst contract in the league. Its certainly not just me

And all of this has f*** all to do with Cozens and his contract.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Myyyy goodness. Going around in circles here. It WAS a top 10 worst contract in the league, FOR 2 YEARS. There's 2 years of brutal production out of an 8 year contract. It's well known the coach was brutal during that time period as well, relegated to the 4th line, press box, etc. that was uncalled for.

Will it ever live up to the 9 mill per? Well, no, because by your logic of living in the past, I suppose he would have to make up for those 2 years by having 2, 120 point seasons, am i right? Will it ever be a great contract? No of course it won't. Hardly any 9M + contract are unless you're McDavid. Look at Eichel or Panarin at 11.5M

The point here is, it WAS a bad contract, for 2 years, and as it is CURRENTLY, it is NOT a bad contract and is trending towards a solid player the past 2 years and especially this year. What happens when he has another 90 point season next year? I wouldn't be shocked at all the way this line is runnin. Still gonna lean on those brutal years going back 4-5 years, still say it IS a top 10 worst contract handed out ever? Sounds reasonable! :laugh:

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Good contract. He's not far off from being a point per game player at 21 and he also has some good size. To have him locked up for 7 more years at a good cap hit is a good deal. I like what Buffalo is building , if they can make the playoffs this year that would be nice to see.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Ignore them. Some of our posters have a hate boner for 6K.
Who hates him? He's not getting six years x $6 M. That's silly. He might get a 2 x $2.5 M contract. If in some world, we wanted to lock him up for 7 years, I can't even imagine it past $5 M. Let alone $6 M. He would simply jump at 7 x $5 M. Give him a final 30 games of .930 save % and the convo changes.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I am confused as to how Sabres players are "taking less". They are taking a guaranteed bag with little sample size, not like they are established players taking millions less.

Buffalo are top 5 in actual goals 5v5, but are 19th in xGF and in score adjusted goals they are 22nd. They are 26th in high danger shots for. They are 6th in shooting% in shots on goal.

They are paying all of these guys based on small sample size of unsustainable scoring.

Who are “all of these guys”? Thompson and Cozens? Who else?

And I don’t think they paid Cozens based on his point totals. More so on his all around game.

and Thompson is putting up even better stats than last year (a year we were assured was unsustainable by neutral HF fans), so…

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
They are paying all of these guys based on small sample size of unsustainable scoring.

That's what everyone said about Tage............and he got better.
That's what everyone said about Samuelsson..............and he got better (not scoring, at defense).

I am completely unconcerned that Cozens' output is unsustainable.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
That's what everyone said about Tage............and he got better.
That's what everyone said about Samuelsson..............and he got better (not scoring, at defense).

I am completely unconcerned that Cozens' output is unsustainable.

Tage is having a career year. He will never come close to this ever again. And the season he is having is fooling Buffalo management into thinking they are closer than they are. Now you've locked in your core to long term deals without even making the playoffs based on half a season of sample size.

Good luck is all I can say.

Cozens, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Tuch all having insane shooting% years and due for massive regression. Even Dahlin having a career year in shooting%.

I get it though, not the first fan base to think things will keep rolling. But even with all of these crazy seasons, they are still not a playoff team. Next year I predict by this time Buffalo is hovering in no mans land yet again with no cap room to improve with good players but not elite locked into long term deals.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Next year I predict by this time Buffalo is hovering in no mans land yet again with no cap room to improve with good players but not elite locked into long term deals.

No cap room? We're $24 million UNDER the cap next year with the following "needs" to fill:
1.) A 7th defenseman
2.) Basically an entire 4th line

That's it. We've got PLENTY of cap room next year AND going forward, even after Dahlin gets $9-11M AAV on a long-term deal. We've got one of the best long-term cap outlooks in the entire NHL.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
lol cap space.

Buffalo has 25 million in space next year needing to sign three bottom six players and a press box defenseman.

Thats it.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Tage is having a career year. He will never come close to this ever again. And the season he is having is fooling Buffalo management into thinking they are closer than they are. Now you've locked in your core to long term deals without even making the playoffs based on half a season of sample size.

Good luck is all I can say.

Cozens, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Tuch all having insane shooting% years and due for massive regression. Even Dahlin having a career year in shooting%.

I get it though, not the first fan base to think things will keep rolling. But even with all of these crazy seasons, they are still not a playoff team. Next year I predict by this time Buffalo is hovering in no mans land yet again with no cap room to improve with good players but not elite locked into long term deals.
You realize Tage even if his shooting % went to the mean he’d still be on pace for 45 goals because of his shot volume right?

Who am I kidding, of course you don’t. You think the Sabres will be in cap hell despite at this moment they will be under the floor next season, you’re talking out of your ass.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
“They paid Cozens for his unsustainable shooting percentage”

Tell me you’ve never watched Dylan Cozens play without telling me you’ve never watched Dylan Cozens play.

what a take

You realize Tage even if his shooting % went to the mean he’d still be on pace for 45 goals because of his shot volume right?

Who am I kidding, of course you don’t. You think the Sabres will be in cap hell despite at this moment they will be under the floor next season, you’re talking out of your ass.
Of all the things I expected to see today I can honestly say someone trying to dunk on a contract that pays Tage Thompson what Kevin Hayes makes now until 2030 as a bad deal they will regret.

What an amazing moment we are living in.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If you want to argue that the monster that is Tage is unsustrainable…go ahead. I’m not going to stop you. He never showed this before and broke out late in a weird way. Who knows what his trajectory is. I do know that last year I was told his goal scoring would drop and not only did it increase by a lot he added crazy playmaking to the arsenal.

But when you want to argue that Cozens, a top prospect who took a very steady growth pattern over his ELC…who improves in both metrics and eyeball test at a rate that screams sustainability and projectability is some high risk asset…you are trying too hard. I’m happy you listened to a podcast about shooting percentage. Imagine what you will learn when you listen to one about anything else

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
No cap room? We're $24 million UNDER the cap next year with the following "needs" to fill:
1.) A 7th defenseman
2.) Basically an entire 4th line

That's it. We've got PLENTY of cap room next year AND going forward, even after Dahlin gets $9-11M AAV on a long-term deal. We've got one of the best long-term cap outlooks in the entire NHL.

Not even a playoff team and the only need is depth pieces? Ooookk....

You need a goalie, you won't be getting one for less than 4M. You need some dmen as well, you have 3 good ones right now need at least 1 more top 4 guy. And not to mention is Jeff Skinner going to actually be worth his contract for the next 4 years or is he going to regress back into a 4th line and you need another top 6 forward?

You don't even know your needs right now because so much statistical noise is happening due to the small sample size. For all you know next year you can't score and need more forwards. Not to mention you have many ELC players due for a large raise if their play continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad