Value of: BUF 1st overall pick to OTT for Karlsson (sign and trade)

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'm offering one of my children that should be born some time in the next 5 years for Karlsson. My son will be cost controlled until about 2040 give or take.

HFboards:

giphy.gif

I've heard reports of low hockey IQ. Not sure that's good asset management.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am not sure what to say, I quoted your post and thats what it says.

I said he is a younger version, I never said he was as good. You trying to imply that I was imply he was as good already but that is just not the case. I get how you can view it how you have but now I am clarifying it for you.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
This post is ridiculous. First of all Karlsson isnt near 30 he is 27. Second of all Dahlin being better than Karlsson is probably less than a 5% chance of happening. He could have 4 Norris's by now and he is 27. Since when is Dahlin generational? And no his floor isnt a franchise #1 D man. Great prospect but people need to take a log off the fire.

No the deal doesnt make sense for buffalo but your post is straight up full of BS and not fact. The Karlsson hyperbole on this site is getting out of hand. Ottawa is an easy target and everything but he is a hell of alot better player than people are making him out to be.

When has Dahlin been generational? The last 2 years maybe ? When he's been called the best D prospect in nearly 50 years ? And Karlsson is 27 for less then a month. He is a lot closer to 30 then 25. Keep him. We don't want Karlsson instead of Dahlin. Makes zero sense. I'd rather add the 18 year old version.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Trading a generational D man for a potential one sounds crazy, and it is. This all hinges on a scenario in which Karlsson doesn't seem like he will sign in Ottawa. Dorion's biggest job this summer is going to be reading the situation and making sure they get full value if they end up losing EK. If they hold out till after the draft they could be losing a year and a lot of value of a rebuild.

To Buffalo:
Erik Karlsson (signed to 8 year deal)

To Ottawa:
2018 1st overall pick (Dahlin)
Conditional 2019 2nd (becomes 1st if BUF makes playoffs)
G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
C Rasmus Asplund

Ottawa and Karlsson get a fresh start in this scenario. Buffalo can start to try and compete with a proven superstar. Ottawa starts the rebuild right with pick #1 and #4 in the draft, along with getting potentially another 1st down the road, as they will lose one next year or this year to Colorado. Luukkonen and Asplund will be solid additional building blocks in OTT.

You can never replace Karlsson, so you might as well get the next best thing.
Leddy, rights to JT and 2 2nds
For
Buff #1

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Lol. Why is Buffalo adding a 1st & more when they're trading a generational prospect and going to be a lottery team next year. What were you thinking OP?

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
You couldnt be more wrong, give me a break lmao.

Shiny new toy syndrome at its finest here. The guy you hope will one day become close to Karlsson is more valuable than the man himself. Thats rich.

Didn't Karlsson have half of a bone from his ankle removed? You act as if the the risk is with Ottawa when there's a big risk with Karlsson. Even if Karlsson returns back to pre operation form, he's still 10 years older and will probably want a contract for 10-11 million for 8 years. Is Karlsson going to be worth 10 million dollars more for at least the next 3 years? I was once a little curious about if a one for one trade would be an option but that was before I learned a lot more about Dahlin. Dahlin's potential is worth more to Buffalo that Karlssons ability when you take in to account age, and contract status

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Erik Karlsson will be signing anywhere this summer and Senators will be forced to trade him with just one year remaining on his contract. He is in the drivers seat here and can a) just wait and see what happens in the next year when he can pick any destination as a free agent or b) lock himself in on a long term deal for an organization he's played zero games for.

WildThingRickVaughn

Apr 7, 2016
Trading a generational D man for a potential one sounds crazy, and it is. This all hinges on a scenario in which Karlsson doesn't seem like he will sign in Ottawa. Dorion's biggest job this summer is going to be reading the situation and making sure they get full value if they end up losing EK. If they hold out till after the draft they could be losing a year and a lot of value of a rebuild.

To Buffalo:

To Ottawa:
G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
C Rasmus Asplund

Ottawa and Karlsson get a fresh start in this scenario. Buffalo can start to try and compete with a proven superstar. Ottawa starts the rebuild right with pick #1 and #4 in the draft, along with getting potentially another 1st down the road, as they will lose one next year or this year to Colorado. Luukkonen and Asplund will be solid additional building blocks in OTT.

The thing about Karlsson too is that he almost ten years older than Dahlin, and will be more expensive even if they wanted to do the deal so the cost alone would be enough of a reason to say no

Add that to the fact the Ottawa is in the division.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I’m not gonna slam or put down Karlsson in an effort to prop up Dahlin. That’s just weak and immature.

I’ll just respectfully say, no. I’d rather keep the 1OA pick.

Reactions: pmwlker

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
so who should Buffalo trade the pick for? provide something instead of snark.

Off the top of my head, the Sabres would trade the pick tonight.....

- to EDM for Connor McDavid
- to TOR for Auston Matthews
- to WIN for Patrik Laine
- to CLB for Seth Jones
- to BOS for David Pastrnak
- to COL for Nathan MacKinnon

then for insane packages.....

- to FLA for Barkov and Ekblad
- to PHI for Couturier and Provorov
- to TOR for Marner and Rielly
- to TAM for Point, Sergachev and Foote
- to BOS for McAvoy, DeBrusk and Donato

etc.

Needless to say, Dahlin isn't Bobby Orr and isn't untouchable if a team is willing to offer something outrageous - but that's what it would take. And, no team is offering those offers above, as it would deplete their club and defeat the purpose.

Dahlin is an elite prospect, but he's still a prospect. There was a time Erik Johnson and Aaron Ekblad were labelled "franchise defensemen" in the mold of Rob Blake and Chris Pronger.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Off the top of my head, the Sabres would trade the pick tonight.....

- to EDM for Connor McDavid
- to TOR for Auston Matthews
- to WIN for Patrik Laine
- to CLB for Seth Jones
- to BOS for David Pastrnak
- to COL for Nathan MacKinnon

then for insane packages.....

- to FLA for Barkov and Ekblad
- to PHI for Couturier and Provorov
- to TOR for Marner and Rielly
- to TAM for Point, Sergachev and Foote
- to BOS for McAvoy, DeBrusk and Donato

etc.

Needless to say, Dahlin isn't Bobby Orr and isn't untouchable if a team is willing to offer something outrageous - but that's what it would take. And, no team is offering those offers above, as it would deplete their club and defeat the purpose.

Dahlin is an elite prospect, but he's still a prospect. There was a time Erik Johnson and Aaron Ekblad were labelled "franchise defensemen" in the mold of Rob Blake and Chris Pronger.
Why the heck are we adding our young talented defenseman to Barkov when it's only Matthews one for one, or MacKinnon, or Laine? I could stomach a much smaller plus to Barkov added.
And Pastrnak???
And I don't think Buffalo trades the #1 overall for Matthews or MacKinnon anyway, since they are both centers, and Dahlin fits more of a need.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC

To Buffalo:

To Ottawa:
G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
C Rasmus Asplund

Are you insane? seriously

So we have to give up a ton of stuff with the #1 pick to sign a guy to an 8 years 100/120 million.

This is beyond awful! I'll take the kid with the incredible upside and 3 years of cost control, followed by 8 more years of team control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
no chance. Dahlin has the potential to be even better then Karlsson and his floor is a franchise #1 dman. Not trading an 18 year old generational D prospect on an ELC for 3 years for a near 30 Karlsson who has missed a lot of games in the past. Karlsson is the best but not for much longer. That'll be Dahlin.

The OP proposal is ridiculous, but Dahlin's floor is not as a franchise #1 blueliner. The kid is going to be a really good player, but folks need to tone down the rhetoric.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
The over rating of Dahlins value here is beyond ridiculous. For Mcdavid!? For Barkov PLUS Ekblad (LMAO... Would be adding significantly to that pick to get Barkov alone.

This thread is a joke. Kid may never play an NHL game, let alone become as valuable as Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad