Value of: BUF 1st overall pick to OTT for Karlsson (sign and trade)

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Ottawa fans still have not yet grasped they are not in control of this situation and are not picking Karlsson's destination. Buffalo seems like an unusual choice for a guy his age with no cup.

If Buffalo was going to trade Dahlin (which they wouldn't) the only thing that would make sense would be a youth package like Provorov+Patrick+.
People need to think of the Lindros trade. That is what it would take. Minus the 20 million of course.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Ottawa fans still have not yet grasped they are not in control of this situation and are not picking Karlsson's destination. Buffalo seems like an unusual choice for a guy his age with no cup.

If Buffalo was going to trade Dahlin (which they wouldn't) the only thing that would make sense would be a youth package like Provorov+Patrick+.

I dont' think a Sens fan made this trade offer.

I'm hoping that most Sens fans don't think this is a trade that Buffalo would even consider. I mean, I love EK to death, but Buffalo should not at all consider trading their 1st OA pick.

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
Trading a generational D man for a potential one sounds crazy, and it is. This all hinges on a scenario in which Karlsson doesn't seem like he will sign in Ottawa. Dorion's biggest job this summer is going to be reading the situation and making sure they get full value if they end up losing EK. If they hold out till after the draft they could be losing a year and a lot of value of a rebuild.

To Buffalo:
Erik Karlsson (signed to 8 year deal)

To Ottawa:
2018 1st overall pick (Dahlin)
Conditional 2019 2nd (becomes 1st if BUF makes playoffs)
G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
C Rasmus Asplund

Ottawa and Karlsson get a fresh start in this scenario. Buffalo can start to try and compete with a proven superstar. Ottawa starts the rebuild right with pick #1 and #4 in the draft, along with getting potentially another 1st down the road, as they will lose one next year or this year to Colorado. Luukkonen and Asplund will be solid additional building blocks in OTT.

You can never replace Karlsson, so you might as well get the next best thing.
Those mystery boxes are way too valuable here man. In real life I’d say sabres do it , but not on Hf. The goal here is to have the best prospects, not the best team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trading a generational D man for a potential one sounds crazy, and it is. This all hinges on a scenario in which Karlsson doesn't seem like he will sign in Ottawa. Dorion's biggest job this summer is going to be reading the situation and making sure they get full value if they end up losing EK. If they hold out till after the draft they could be losing a year and a lot of value of a rebuild.

To Buffalo:
Erik Karlsson (signed to 8 year deal)

To Ottawa:
2018 1st overall pick (Dahlin)
Conditional 2019 2nd (becomes 1st if BUF makes playoffs)
G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
C Rasmus Asplund

Ottawa and Karlsson get a fresh start in this scenario. Buffalo can start to try and compete with a proven superstar. Ottawa starts the rebuild right with pick #1 and #4 in the draft, along with getting potentially another 1st down the road, as they will lose one next year or this year to Colorado. Luukkonen and Asplund will be solid additional building blocks in OTT.

You can never replace Karlsson, so you might as well get the next best thing.

:laugh: You do realize that 18 year old Dahlin is looking forward to the ten years that Karlsson is looking back at, right?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
there you have it folks, Dahlin is the 2nd most valuable asset in the NHL and he hasn't even played a single NHL game.
Never said he’s the 2nd most valuable asset. It’d be dumb for Buffalo to trade him for anything though unless a massive, massive overpayment. He’s exactly what they need

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
What the hell.....Ottawa wouldnt even try to call the Buffalo gm ,why on earth is this trade even plausable???Troll threads are real

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Some Ottawa fans still have not yet grasped they are not in control of this situation and are not picking Karlsson's destination. Buffalo seems like an unusual choice for a guy his age with no cup.

OP isnt an Ottawa fan ,nobody in Ottawa would try to propose this type of deal.....

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
No thanks. Peace out. Trading Dahlin for a rebuilding team for Karlsson who is further along in the process doesn't work and to be honest, Buffalo has had ZERO luck with expediting the rebuilding process. We need to draft, develop and grow our own guys. We're also not interested in helping out Ottawa.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Well, they already have their franchise center, or one that's supposed to be their franchise center. So, who should they be trading this #1OV for? Matthews? Doesn't really make sense. Crosby? Older and makes even less sense. So while there might be players worth trading the #1OV, it's a pretty small list.

Laine + Hellebuyck? I'd think hard about that if I'm Buffalo, assuming Winnipeg was stupid enough to make the offer.

Jan 21, 2018
I like how so many casual hockey fans are claiming the reason Buffalo won't do this is because of the age difference.

If Karlsson had no injury concerns Buffalo would accept in a heartbeat. Karlsson carried a non-playoff team to within one goal of the cup final, could you imagine if he was 100% with Buffalo's roster?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Sorry Buffalo ,no sane Ottawa fan would ever propose this....The OP isnt an Ottawa fan ,so take your 1OA you guys deserve it

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I like how so many casual hockey fans are claiming the reason Buffalo won't do this is because of the age difference.

If Karlsson had no injury concerns Buffalo would accept in a heartbeat. Karlsson carried a non-playoff team to within one goal of the cup final, could you imagine if he was 100% with Buffalo's roster?

Actually, to be contrarian trading for Karlsson doesn't do anything for a team that has holes up and down the roster. It adds at a bare minimum 9.5M plus on top of four contracts: Okposo, Bogosian, Pominville, and Moulson that are dead weight. When we can get an elite prime asset to control over the next 5 seasons plus and keep our own prospects. This makes ZERO sense for Buffalo. Keep that and please, close this ludicrous thread.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Actually, to be contrarian trading for Karlsson doesn't do anything for a team that has holes up and down the roster. It adds at a bare minimum 9.5M plus on top of four contracts: Okposo, Bogosian, Pominville, and Moulson that are dead weight. When we can get an elite prime asset to control over the next 5 seasons plus and keep our own prospects. This makes ZERO sense for Buffalo. Keep that and please, close this ludicrous thread.
Ottawa wouldnt even bother to purpose it,makes zero sense....

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Trading for a 27 year old?!?!?!

HFBoards will give you a 4th round pick in 2020, if you're lucky

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Do you think the Oilers would have traded McDavid for Crosby? I can tell you I would not trade Matthews for Crosby and he's not as good as McDavid

No one doubts Karlsson's talent, it's that age gap and how Dahlin fit's better for a rebuilding team. We do not even need to get into the whole "sign and trade" nonsense which makes 0 sense for Karlsson. Odds are Dahlin won't be quite as good as Karlsson but if he's close the extra 10 years are a world of difference.

That being said, I could see a healthy Karlsson with a decent goalie dragging them to the playoffs but I think they are better served building properly.

Last edited:

Jan 21, 2018

HFBoards has this terrible mentality that cost contolled years trump everything.

We're talking about a generation dman, the best player at his position, at 100% health and in his prime. Do you actually think the Sens minus Karlsson is any better than Buffalo? It's the same misinformed people that thought Bergevin was a great GM when it was really Price carrying that team on his back, covering all the holes in the lineup. No different than Chiarelli when McDavid was able to get his team into the playoffs, it was quite sad to see people hailing Chiarelli when his best move was showing up at the draft to select his team's savior.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010

No, actually Buffalo would not. Karlsson is a great player, and in a vacuum I would love to have him on the Sabres. However, he would be expensive, and he is obviously much older than Dahlin.

I'll take Dahlin and his potential, cost-controlled for several years, over Karrlson. And I certainly would not add more to the trade (as proposed by the OP) for the privilege of Karlsson.

Props to the Sens fans in this thread.

Jan 21, 2018
Do you think the Oilers would have traded McDavid for Crosby? I can tell you I would not trade Matthews for Crosby and he's not as good as McDavid

No one doubts Karlsson's talent, it's that age gap and how Dahlin fit's better for a rebuilding team. We do not even need to get into the whole "sign and trade" nonsense which makes 0 sense for Karlsson. Odds are Dahlin won't be quite as good as Karlsson but if he's close the extra 10 years are a world of difference.

That being said, I could see Karlsson with a healthy goalie dragging them to the playoffs but I think they are better served building properly.

It's so easy to wait until McDavid/Matthews prove they are legit threats to make that claim. For every one of these cases there's 100 more that didn't pan out.

I see your point though, and honestly it depends on the team. Say for example Vancouver, if they had the choice between Dahlin and Karlsson, it would make sense because not even Karlsson at his prime would fix Benning's team.

In most other cases if someone offers you an under 30 best player in the world at that position for a prospect that has never played an NHL game, you take it and run. The Sabres roster is much better than their place in the standings show, adding Karlsson and a goalie this summer and I don't see how they aren't competing with PIT/TBL in the East.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Laine + Hellebuyck? I'd think hard about that if I'm Buffalo, assuming Winnipeg was stupid enough to make the offer.

Laine is a great player, obviously, but Buffalo is so bad on the blueline that Laine + Hellebuyck wouldn't be the genesis of a deal.

The problem is that any deal that Buffalo would consider would be crazy for the other team to agree to. Winnipeg isn't agreeing to a deal around Laine and Trouba. Philly isn't agreeing to a deal around Provorov, Patrick, Konecny, and Hart. And so on. It'd have to be such a ludicrous overpayment to make Buffalo even consider the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad